hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This Goldson?

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2020/02/plenty-of-rangers-fans-are-seriously-questioning-connor-goldsons-role/
    Bit odd to be linking an article from the best part of a year ago but anyway.

Yes, that Goldson, he's been the main centre half in a Rangers team that have conceded 5 goals in 22 league games, the lowest conceded in Scottish football history at this stage of the season. He's been outstanding whenever I've seen him and on a completely different level to Hanlon.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 03-01-2021 at 05:07 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Bit odd to be linking an article for the best part of a year ago but anyway.

Yes, that Goldson, he's been the main centre half in a Rangers team that have conceded 5 goals in 22 league games, the lowest conceded in Scottish football history at this stage of the season. He's been outstanding whenever I've seen him and on a completely different level to Hanlon.
    My point is, he went through a spell and Gerrard (instead of listening to some fans who thought he should be dropped for being *****) kept playing him cos he knew a good player better than the fans, and he’s been proved right.

Much the same as the various Hibs managers (and the Scotland manager this season) who’ve come and gone and never thought he needed replaced.

Yes, this Hanlon, who has been a mainstay and one of the main reasons for us having kept 9 clean sheets in our first 19 games of the season.

My point is, he went through a spell and Gerrard (instead of listening to some fans who thought he should be dropped for being *****) kept playing him cos he knew a good player better than the fans, and he’s been proved right.

Much the same as the various Hibs managers (and the Scotland manager this season) who’ve come and gone and never thought he needed replaced.

Yes, this Hanlon, who has been a mainstay and one of the main reasons for us having kept 9 clean sheets in our first 19 games of the season.
    Hanlon is a good SPFL centre half, there are a few posters on here and one in particular who seem to think that he is miles better than he actually is. He's good with the ball at his feet and positionally he's good however he's been prone to making errors for a long time now and he's always struggled physically with big centre forwards. There is a reason he's only ever got 1 cap for Scotland despite us being ***** for years and why he's never got a move to a bigger club. He's found his level, a decent footballing centre half for Scottish League level who has glaring and obvious flaws to his game. He's a club legend but that doesn't mean he is above criticism.

Hanlon has had fluctuations in his form for years as that's his level, the difference with Goldson is his lasted a few months and he's now comfortably the best centre half in the League. Therefore you can't compare people being critical of him to those who don't like Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    Agreed. A central defender captain should be seen and heard.

I just feel he’s to passive.

tbh I’m maybe being a bit harsh but I’ve never really rated him, purely reasoned by he’s been heart of a defence which has in the main always been regarded as soft, can’t handle cross balls and loses last minute goals.
    Hanlon. yup.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Hanlon is a good SPFL centre half, there are a few posters on here and one in particular who seem to think that he is miles better than he actually is. He's good with the ball at his feet and positionally he's good however he's been prone to making errors for a long time now and he's always struggled physically with big centre forwards. There is a reason he's only ever got 1 cap for Scotland despite us being ***** for years and why he's never got a move to a bigger club. He's found his level, a decent footballing centre half for Scottish League level who has glaring and obvious flaws to his game. He's a club legend but that doesn't mean he is above criticism.

Hanlon has had fluctuations in his form for years as that's his level, the difference with Goldson is his lasted a few months and he's now comfortably the best centre half in the League. Therefore you can't compare people being critical of him to those who don't like Hanlon.

Do you still think that? He was shown up yet again tonight.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

First Team Breakthrough
    Stevenson and Hanlon, thank u next.

I think the pressure of being Hibs captain is too much for Hanlon. Let him concentrate on the playing side only.
    But then comes the question- who else is there?
    Not Boyle!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Yes. As mentioned in my post he will have fluctuations in form which prevent him from playing at a higher level but in the main he's a good, not great or outstanding, Scottish Premier League centre half.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hanlon and Stevenson. Nowhere near good enough. Lewy has already been covered in depth but Hanlon, he is not a captain, I saw his pre match interview and thought he sure doesn't promote confidence, dull stuff like his manager. Two goals lost from set pieces yesterday, not surprising.

He will probably get offered a new deal too further draining resources to properly take us forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    But still better than Porto. So if Hibs can get better they should. But it wasn’t either player who changed the formation when we were dominating the game.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    I’ve never rated Hanlon. Amazes me how long he’s been at the club. Don’t get me wrong he’s had his good moments however he’s bang average. I would actually go so far as to say he performs better when he’s got a partner who’s on top of his game.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    I’ve never rated Hanlon. Amazes me how long he’s been at the club. Don’t get me wrong he’s had his good moments however he’s bang average. I would actually go so far as to say he performs better when he’s got a partner who’s on top of his game.
    To be fair mate all players probably perform better when they are playing alongside players who are playing at the top of their game. I get what you're trying to say though.

Hanlon's form has fluctuated, but the unmoving criticism has never gone away... Hanlon has always been bullied and lost out in the air. He reads the game really well, shape and positioning is good for the most part, but time and time again he gets pushed around. We are leaking goals game after game and there seems to be three players in our defence that look unstoppable, I think Hanlon is up to 71 league games in a row. Porteous and mcginn have played virtually every minute this season as well, but we are losing goals all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by hibIBZ View Post
    Hanlon's form has fluctuated, but the unmoving criticism has never gone away... Hanlon has always been bullied and lost out in the air. He reads the game really well, shape and positioning is good for the most part, but time and time again he gets pushed around. We are leaking goals game after game and there seems to be three players in our defence that look unstoppable, I think Hanlon is up to 71 league games in a row. Porteous and mcginn have played virtually every minute this season as well, but we are losing goals all over the place
    It was Porto that lost the first 2 goals yeh. Hanlon could have done better with the 2nd but he was marking the man behind. If we don’t lose those 2 simple goals there is a strong chance we’d have one the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    It was Porto that lost the first 2 goals yeh. Hanlon could have done better with the 2nd but he was marking the man behind. If we don’t lose those 2 simple goals there is a strong chance we’d have one the game.
    IMO it’s zonal marking at the 2nd. It’s Hanlon who attempts to jump and win the ball and gets beat. What’s Porteous done to be at fault ?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Hanlon lost the guy for the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    IMO it’s zonal marking at the 2nd. It’s Hanlon who attempts to jump and win the ball and gets beat. What’s Porteous done to be at fault ?
    It went over Portos head. He was marking no one. Are we now doing zonal marking?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibIBZ View Post
    but we are losing goals all over the place
    That’s just not true though. The last few weeks have been abysmal, shocking performances and results. This season though? No.

In our last 6 games we’ve lost 10 goals. It’s massively disappointing. In the previous 26 games we lost 23 goals.

We’ve gone from losing, on average, less than a goal a game, to recently almost 2 per game. It’s *****, and it’s worrying, but it’s not been happening all season, only a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Hanlon lost the guy for the 2nd
    Also in the lead up to that free kick, Hanlon fails to deal with a long ball, should have been a basic headed clearance, but he totally mistimed it and it came off the top of his head, that then led to the free kick for the goal.
    Not good enough.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    Also in the lead up to that free kick, Hanlon fails to deal with a long ball, should have been a basic headed clearance, but he totally mistimed it and it came off the top of his head, that then led to the free kick for the goal.
    Not good enough.
    We desperately need a big strong commanding centre half we have been too soft in the centre of the defence for far too long

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post
    We desperately need a big strong commanding centre half we have been too soft in the centre of the defence for far too long
    I'd be looking at the spine of the team and having strong, experienced leaders. Centre half, centre mid, and striker. Dare I say a Scott Brown for a season or two in the middle, holding role, and a Holt type up top to help Doidge and Nisbet. Work younger, energetic and creative players around them. The left side needs addressed and we need an out and out left winger.

New left back, release Hanlon, ship the likes of Hallberg, and sorry to be lacking in sentiment, ship out SDG and Darren. Giving Lewis a new contract, for me, was sentiment over realism - it's an area of the pitch where we ship the most goals.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I'd be looking at the spine of the team and having strong, experienced leaders. Centre half, centre mid, and striker. Dare I say a Scott Brown for a season or two in the middle, holding role, and a Holt type up top to help Doidge and Nisbet. Work younger, energetic and creative players around them. The left side needs addressed and we need an out and out left winger.

New left back, release Hanlon, ship the likes of Hallberg, and sorry to be lacking in sentiment, ship out SDG and Darren. Giving Lewis a new contract, for me, was sentiment over realism - it's an area of the pitch where we ship the most goals.
    Release Hanlon...for **** sake...get a grip.

If we released Hanlon I’d not be at all surprised if he ended up at Aberdeen. Then in 6 months time the same people who called him ***** would be asking why he’s playing better for Aberdeen than he did for us, when the reality will be, he’s playing exactly the same.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Agree with all of this. It's clear sentimentality is king at Hibs, too soft an approach and not good business. Winning a League Cup would have been remembered for decades.

Who really cares about finishing 4th.
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 24-01-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Time to ship out the old guard if we want to progress. Hanlon has been at the club far to long. He's had some great games but to me he gets bullied far to easy. We need players like hallberg, wright, macgregor, gray, 2 McGinns off the wage bill and bring in 2 central defenders and a striker. We need to get the balance of the midfield correct too, good players in there but all similar. Just my opinion!

@hibs.net private member
    Release Hanlon...for **** sake...get a grip.

If we released Hanlon I’d not be at all surprised if he ended up at Aberdeen. Then in 6 months time the same people who called him ***** would be asking why he’s playing better for Aberdeen than he did for us, when the reality will be, he’s playing exactly the same.
    Aberdeen ? Hanlon wouldn't get a game for either of our semi final opponents or any other team that has recently turned us over Livingstone , Ross County add Motherwell to that.
    There is a reason why Hanlon has been at Hibs so long with the only interest allegedly being Aberdeen and the fact most Scotland managers have overlooked him despite being being one of the most capped under 21 players .
    Last night was another one to add to our leaders long list of big game failures.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Potty78 View Post
    Time to ship out the old guard if we want to progress. Hanlon has been at the club far to long. He's had some great games but to me he gets bullied far to easy. We need players like hallberg, wright, macgregor, gray, 2 McGinns off the wage bill and bring in 2 central defenders and a striker. We need to get the balance of the midfield correct too, good players in there but all similar. Just my opinion!
    You’d get rid of 2 players whose form this season saw them called up to the Scotland squad?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    Aberdeen ? Hanlon wouldn't get a game for either of our semi final opponents or any other team that has recently turned us over Livingstone , Ross County add Motherwell to that.
    There is a reason why Hanlon has been at Hibs so long with the only interest allegedly being Aberdeen and the fact most Scotland managers have overlooked him despite being being one of the most capped under 21 players .
    Last night was another one to add to our leaders long list of big game failures.
    Same with Lewy. Been at Hibs too long because no one else wants him. Yet, fans see him as some sort of legend for being consistantly mediocre. Hibs can do better.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Stevenson didn’t even play yesterday and he’s getting slaughtered. FFS.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

You’d get rid of 2 players whose form this season saw them called up to the Scotland squad?
    To be honest I would, as I said Hanlon has been at the club to long, McGinn has done ok but I think we could do better with the money we are spending.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Stevenson didn’t even play yesterday and he’s getting slaughtered. FFS.
    Was thinking the exact same thing! Mental.