hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Table proves it mate. I'm talking in facts, not emotions after a rough week.
    Deary me as, we slip into 5th....then what? we should have definitely got rid of Marvin because he is nowhere near the standard of Gogic??... i know.. it was a great change...
    wow

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Not their fault but time has surely caught up with our cup final heroes. It’s sad to see them being ripped apart by players they’d have had in their pockets a couple of years ago. End this cruelest of blood sports now please, Jack Ross.
    Hanlon has been our mainstay at CB along with Porteous this season and I think there is a good blend of youth and experience there for now - will it last for another season? I don't know but OK for now - when does Hanlon's contract end anyway?

Lewis has seen the youngsters start to finally push through at left back and it's been good to have him as an experienced option to counter the inevitable inconsistency of the young lads, but on yesterday's evidence I don't think another contract extension would be a good idea - sadly. I'm aware of the senior/back up kind of extension given to Gray and McGregor but if I'm honest, I doubt the wisdom of this kind of contract when money is tight and you want every wage contributing on the pitch. Like these guys, Lewis will always be a legend at ER though

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    Porteous was defo the worse centre back out of the two but he seems to get a free pass on here, need another centre half in ASAP as I don’t think the players are worried about competition for places
    This for sure and the same goes for the striker department. Consistency of selection is a good thing - until players just tire and lose form (or worse get injured).

I’d have Jackson back in a second. Playing in a 3 with Hanlon and Porto. Gogic in front of the 3. We were consistently hard to beat when we played that way. Now we appear to keep changing the formation to fit players in rather than doing the basics properly. Midfield remains our biggest issue. Need to compete for the ball and then keep the ball. Been not much sign of that the last 2 games. Hanlon won’t be going anywhere so get used to him for at least another couple of seasons.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I’d have Jackson back in a second. Playing in a 3 with Hanlon and Porto. Gogic in front of the 3. We were consistently hard to beat when we played that way. Now we appear to keep changing the formation to fit players in rather than doing the basics properly. Midfield remains our biggest issue. Need to compete for the ball and then keep the ball. Been not much sign of that the last 2 games. Hanlon won’t be going anywhere so get used to him for at least another couple of seasons.
    I think he’s been excellent this season, although not so much in the past few games. The trouble is when a central defender or keeper for that matter makes a mistake (which they all do) it often results in a goal. Doidge for example has missed chance after chance but doesn’t seem to receive the same amount of flak that Paul Hanlon does.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I think he’s been excellent this season, although not so much in the past few games. The trouble is when a central defender or keeper for that matter makes a mistake (which they all do) it often results in a goal. Doidge for example has missed chance after chance but doesn’t seem to receive the same amount of flak that Paul Hanlon does.
    He does in my house. He has been rotten this season.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    The left hand side of the team has weakness written all over it, if Doig has to be eased in to the team and Murphy is going to miss a lot of matches then the problem needs to be addressed in the January window. It is obviously affecting the balance of the team all over the pitch.
    It has been for a long time. If you play on the shoulder of hanlon which many forwards now are he is beat no pace over 10 yards . I'm not saying he is finished but with LS beside him its to predictable.
    I would love the stats on passing between them ...all LS does is turn back and gives it to Hanlon . If he cant its a punt up the park back to the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Both well and truly past their best for Hibs.

How much in wages would that free up!
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 03-01-2021 at 10:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The usual pish posted about Hanlon after a couple of poor games I see.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The usual pish posted about Hanlon after a couple of poor games I see.
    Yep he has been one of our best players this season.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    He does in my house. He has been rotten this season.
    Agree Doidge has been miles off it imo. Personally would be considering selling in the window, the number of huge chances he has missed recently have been big in terms of our points return, regularly gets bullied by journeyman centre backs and constantly gives away the ball with either poor touch or poor pass.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post

Exactly!

There will be better quality out there. They need replacing. And quickly.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hanlon this season has been as good as any other top flight season here. I do not get the idea he is past it. It isn't true at all. Would've been a laughable suggestion a week ago.

Hanlon this season has been as good as any other top flight season here. I do not get the idea he is past it. It isn't true at all. Would've been a laughable suggestion a week ago.
    Exactly, where are theses guys spouting pish about him when he plays well as he has done for the majority of games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wow. Like Lewy we need to look past sentimentality. Lewy and Hanlon arent good enough for where we need to be anymore.

Wow. Like Lewy we need to look past sentimentality. Lewy and Hanlon arent good enough for where we need to be anymore.
    But less than three games ago folk were saying he’s been immense 😂 Wow indeed!

Left by mutual consent!
    But less than three games ago folk were saying he’s been immense 😂 Wow indeed!
    It's all relative isn't it. Immense compared to what? His usual performance season by season or what the best centre back in the league is doing?

It's all relative isn't it. Immense compared to what? His usual performance season by season or what the best centre back in the league is doing?
    Correct, it’s all relative to Hibs losing a couple of games and the usual scapegoats being bad mouthed on here as being finished.

Who would be the best centre back in the league do you think?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Correct, it’s all relative to Hibs losing a couple of games and the usual scapegoats being bad mouthed on here as being finished.

When Stevenson plays opposition teams target his side. Happened yesterday. Hanlon is slow and a ball over the top and he's goosed, see yesterday. We need better.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Who would be the best centre back in the league do you think?
    Goldson by quite a distance at this moment I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    When Stevenson plays opposition teams target his side. Happened yesterday. Hanlon is slow and a ball over the top and he's goosed, see yesterday. We need better.

Sadly ,true.

We absolutely cannot afford to have Hanlon and Stevenson play together ,which, again sadly means Lewis has to go.

Hanlon been excellent this season and most of last. Definitely not finished. Just had 2 poor matches.
    Totally agree. Though I think Stevenson may no longer be first pick.
    Hanlon has been very good and always has his knockers in here as soon as Hibs lose a couple of games. Issues in last two games are team wide, not one or two players.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Exactly.

The defence has been the best part of the team the entire season yet I am reading for guys like Porteous to be sold on?

Madness.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Our entire team had a bad game tbh . But yes , the defence had a shocker but that’s the same defence that have conceded six goals away from home, this season .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Hanlon being described as immense ?

Seen it all now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    It has been for a long time. If you play on the shoulder of hanlon which many forwards now are he is beat no pace over 10 yards . I'm not saying he is finished but with LS beside him its to predictable.
    I would love the stats on passing between them ...all LS does is turn back and gives it to Hanlon . If he cant its a punt up the park back to the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Pre match I was hopeful Gogic would allow the full backs to push up, but as we've seen before, while Lewis had plenty space, everything slowed down and either came inside or back. To me it was surprising that given there was no natural width on the left the Doig didn't start. If Murphy can stay fit, it would be good to see what sort of understanding they can develop going forward

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Our entire team had a bad game tbh . But yes , the defence had a shocker but that’s the same defence that have conceded six goals away from home, this season .
    Indeed. I don't know how people can look at a stat like that and still say they are rubbish/finished etc. Its clearly a tactical issue if they are brilliant away from home and hopeless at home.

Defending never has and never will be the sole responsibility of the defenders. An entire team defends. A coach sets them up. You think when Liverpool lost 7 to Villa that Klopp just blamed Van Dijk and Robbo? Definitely not.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Goldson by quite a distance at this moment I'd say.
    This Goldson?

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2020/02/plenty-of-rangers-fans-are-seriously-questioning-connor-goldsons-role/

Indeed. I don't know how people can look at a stat like that and still say they are rubbish/finished etc. Its clearly a tactical issue if they are brilliant away from home and hopeless at home.

Defending never has and never will be the sole responsibility of the defenders. An entire team defends. A coach sets them up. You think when Liverpool lost 7 to Villa that Klopp just blamed Van Dijk and Robbo? Definitely not.
    We sit in a lot more away from home being compact and hitting on the break, playing to our strengths. At home we are naive and surge forward, turnover happens and within seconds teams are in behind. Same week in week out. Hanlon and Porteous have been fine in the main, I don’t think Stevenson is good enough to play for us anymore though, Doig or Mackie when fit should be playing week in week out there, athletes who can get forward and back.