hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70

Evening News Website

Went on this for the first time in months after my last experience. God it's got even worse. Who does their web design!

It's like the scene in the IT Crowd where Jen has about a million things on her desktop.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went on this for the first time in months after my last experience. God it's got even worse. Who does their web design!

It's like the scene in the IT Crowd where Jen has about a million things on her desktop.
    It's virtually unreadable now, I gave up on it a long time ago.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I think a lot of these local news sites are the same. The Wales online site which is the home of the South Wales Echo (Cardiff local paper) is equally horrendous.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    If you have an Edinburgh library card, you can access the vast majority of printed media, uncluttered, with the Pressreader app.

The news is dying a slow death. Unreadable website, constantly trying to get you to subscribe and poor sports coverage. Think it’s about 85p to buy in shops..

Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    The news is dying a slow death. Unreadable website, constantly trying to get you to subscribe and poor sports coverage. Think it’s about 85p to buy in shops..

The paper is a vital link for a lot of folk who don't get local news from any other source.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The paper is a vital link for a lot of folk who don't get local news from any other source.
    It is but those people are a rapidly dwindling bunch. These days a lot of older people are quite comfortable using the Internet and that’s only going to increase in numbers.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Got a Black Friday news subscription for £62 for the year back in November. For that I can bypass the website and access effectively an online PDF of the printed paper on my iPad.

It was the first time I’d touched the EEN for about a year or so and was a bit shocked at the lack of content and the lack of sub editing - seeing reference to a baby swan as a “signet” was a particular low - but I think that’s probably the way local papers are now going across the board, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Got a Black Friday news subscription for £62 for the year back in November. For that I can bypass the website and access effectively an online PDF of the printed paper on my iPad.

It was the first time I’d touched the EEN for about a year or so and was a bit shocked at the lack of content and the lack of sub editing - seeing reference to a baby swan as a “signet” was a particular low - but I think that’s probably the way local papers are now going across the board, sadly.
    £62 per year is about what it’s worth paying to read the News these days.

The print version is littered with spelling/typing mistakes, grammatical errors, articles which are cut off before they end, articles appearing twice in the same edition and to cap it all there’s a Viz style internet comments page with comments about articles which are in the edition they appear in.

It’s a shame that it’s as bad as it is; there’s a ‘this will do’ attitude to it and for all the pleas they make to get people to subscribe it has the feel that it won’t be around much longer.

Assuming you stay in Edinburgh, see Speedy Gonzales reply above. Will save you £62 for effectively the same PDF style access - and it’s FREE!!

I’ve had it for years and there’s loads of other publications available for FREE other than the EEN.
    Make it your New Year resolution. You won’t regret it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Assuming you stay in Edinburgh, see Speedy Gonzales reply above. Will save you £62 for effectively the same PDF style access - and it’s FREE!!

I’ve had it for years and there’s loads of other publications available for FREE other than the EEN.
    Got a link to where you’d register for it

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Got a link to where you’d register for it
    On phone so can't easily find it just now but it's on the Edinburgh council library pages, you've also to download the 'press reader ' app.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    On phone so can't easily find it just now but it's on the Edinburgh council library pages, you've also to download the 'press reader ' app.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Alf, will do

I imagine it is but subscriptions must be low and people forking out 80p to see pictures of a deserted princes st. during lockdown isn’t going to set the heather on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    I imagine it is but subscriptions must be low and people forking out 80p to see pictures of a deserted princes st. during lockdown isn’t going to set the heather on fire.
    If you don't have the internet where do you get your local news from? The admirable Edinburgh Reporter is monthly only, I think, Radio Forth is all pop music and BBC Radio and TV news is mainly national. So if you're old and don't get out much you're isolated or reliant on others for your local information.

Local newspapers aren't meant to be platforms for exciting and innovative input. Have a look at papers in local areas all over the country. They're full of pictures of local gala days, lists of prize winners, reports of junior and schools football and other sports. There is info about planning matters, transport and even bin collections.

The fault with the Evening News if I think about it is that it tries to compete with national tabloids instead of concentrating on the neighbourhood stuff. I suppose it stems from having to operate in a big city.

If you don't have the internet where do you get your local news from? The admirable Edinburgh Reporter is monthly only, I think, Radio Forth is all pop music and BBC Radio and TV news is mainly national. So if you're old and don't get out much you're isolated or reliant on others for your local information.

Local newspapers aren't meant to be platforms for exciting and innovative input. Have a look at papers in local areas all over the country. They're full of pictures of local gala days, lists of prize winners, reports of junior and schools football and other sports. There is info about planning matters, transport and even bin collections.

The fault with the Evening News if I think about it is that it tries to compete with national tabloids instead of concentrating on the neighbourhood stuff. I suppose it stems from having to operate in a big city.
    Practically all generations have internet access and there is always the metro if you need a localish fix.

Problem with the News is the website is unreadable with pop ups and clickbait stories everywhere. Just last week it carried a link to a historic story in Jedburgh!

Can’t see it lasting much longer.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    I think a lot of these local news sites are the same. The Wales online site which is the home of the South Wales Echo (Cardiff local paper) is equally horrendous.
    Many of these papers are owned by JPI Media, who salvaged them from the defunct Johnston Press and are trying to eke out a profit from them while attempting to offload them. The papers themselves are no more than a bunch of generic page shapes into which stories are dropped, while the online content is, as others have said, little more than clickbait. Trying to navigate the websites is maddening to the point that you just give up.

The Evening News was once a great wee paper, with a real flavour of Edinburgh and, as has been pointed out, a key source of info for many. It used to be the go-to source for breaking Hibs and Hearts stories. The last time I saw an actual copy you couldn't even call it a pale shadow of its former self. Thin on pages and content (much of which is shared with the Scotsman) it serves next to no purpose these days. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

Cheers for that - I’m already signed up to that but for some reason whilst the Scotsman, Herald, and multiple other publications are included for me, the EEN is not. I agree though - the press reader app is a tremendous resource and brilliant to have it for free given the amount of content on that!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Cheers for that - I’m already signed up to that but for some reason whilst the Scotsman, Herald, and multiple other publications are included for me, the EEN is not. I agree though - the press reader app is a tremendous resource and brilliant to have it for free given the amount of content on that!
    I definitely get the EEN via Pressreader, logging in through the Edinburgh Libraries affiliation,,,,

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Many of these papers are owned by JPI Media, who salvaged them from the defunct Johnston Press and are trying to eke out a profit from them while attempting to offload them. The papers themselves are no more than a bunch of generic page shapes into which stories are dropped, while the online content is, as others have said, little more than clickbait. Trying to navigate the websites is maddening to the point that you just give up.

The Evening News was once a great wee paper, with a real flavour of Edinburgh and, as has been pointed out, a key source of info for many. It used to be the go-to source for breaking Hibs and Hearts stories. The last time I saw an actual copy you couldn't even call it a pale shadow of its former self. Thin on pages and content (much of which is shared with the Scotsman) it serves next to no purpose these days. Sad but true.
    JPI sold just this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...iness-55498552

The price now compared to the 2005 deal tells you all you need to know about the decline in print media
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I definitely get the EEN via Pressreader, logging in through the Edinburgh Libraries affiliation,,,,
    Yeah see it now that I search on it, cheers. I’ll get this set up for my mum.