hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Sea kayaking

@hibs.net private member

Sea kayaking

Does anyone do any sea kayaking ? We’ve taken it up over the last year (at gone and abroad) and getting into it more..now looking at buying our first kayaks and planning some further adventures home and oversees (when the world opens up again) ..just thought I’d see if any other Hibees are into it and can share their experiences ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone do any sea kayaking ? We’ve taken it up over the last year (at gone and abroad) and getting into it more..now looking at buying our first kayaks and planning some further adventures home and oversees (when the world opens up again) ..just thought I’d see if any other Hibees are into it and can share their experiences ...
    This won't be what you want to hear Bigwheel.
    A very capable friend off mine died sea kayaking a few years ago. His empty kayak was found in the Firth of Forth with his body recovered near Musselburgh.
    Enjoy yourself but make sure you always take every safety precaution you can, don't get complacent and don't go out on your own.

Sorry for putting a downer on your post.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 22-12-2020 at 11:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This won't be what you want to hear Bigwheel.
    A very capable friend off mine died sea kayaking a few years ago. His empty kayak was found in the Firth of Forth with his body recovered near Musselburgh.
    Enjoy yourself but make sure you always take every safety precaution you can, don't get complacent and don't go out on your own.

Sorry for putting a downer on your post.
    Thanks for sharing....it’s a sober reminder of the dangers. We’re not gung go about it. Have been doing our courses, and as seasoned windsurfers will respect the power and danger of the seas and lochs . Safety and planning will be key to any routes we go on..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a bit 40 odd years ago off the Hebrides. We had a lot of practice in and around Edinburgh before we went up.

We did a bit of pottering about but the main event was sea surfing. The waves were 'huge'. Some folk had trouble turning at first but once you caught a wave and were hurtling back to the beach at a great rate of knots it was exhilarating.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I did a bit 40 odd years ago off the Hebrides. We had a lot of practice in and around Edinburgh before we went up.

We did a bit of pottering about but the main event was sea surfing. The waves were 'huge'. Some folk had trouble turning at first but once you caught a wave and were hurtling back to the beach at a great rate of knots it was exhilarating.
    That sounds pretty adventurous..not planning on going the kayak surfing route ..but looks lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Thanks for sharing....it’s a sober reminder of the dangers. We’re not gung go about it. Have been doing our courses, and as seasoned windsurfers will respect the power and danger of the seas and lochs . Safety and planning will be key to any routes we go on..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't know all the circumstances of my friends demise but suspect being on his own was his big mistake.
    Sounds like you are on top of it.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 23-12-2020 at 12:18 PM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I've always wanted to try Yak fishing. There's dedicated forums with a number of guys that do it off the coast near Torness.
    I think if you approach it properly, familiarise yourself with the risks, get training and mentored with experienced yakkers then that would mitigate most of the risks.
    To reiterate what CMurdoch says, folk do get in to trouble, but from what I've read and seen this is usually always avoidable, but sometimes we just take risks where normally we'd get away with "it", but it only takes one occasion where the risk coupled with situation can lead to an event where that is unrecoverable.
    Then again, if we never take risks, how boring would our lives be?