hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    16,529

    The hunt for alien life

    Itís a subject that absolutely fascinates me. The universe is so vast that that intelligent life must exist, even if itís not widespread. What bothers me is our way of looking, we search for radio waves, what if other civilisations donít commicate that way?

    United we stand here....


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís a subject that absolutely fascinates me. The universe is so vast that that intelligent life must exist, even if itís not widespread. What bothers me is our way of looking, we search for radio waves, what if other civilisations donít commicate that way?
    What would you suggest we use? We can only utilise the science we know. Like you I firmly believe there are lifeforms out there. Hope there's "verifiable and acknowledged" contact in my lifetime and not just Discovery channel type stories.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    18,009
    I'd like to flag up the possibility of using semaphore.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    16,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would you suggest we use? We can only utilise the science we know. Like you I firmly believe there are lifeforms out there. Hope there's "verifiable and acknowledged" contact in my lifetime and not just Discovery channel type stories.
    I know we can only use whatís available, but it feels like weíre putting all our eggs in one basket. I watched a show recently that suggested that intelligent societies will only have a lifespan of around 100000 years as thatís how long it would take before they either destroyed themselves or their planet. If thatís true it would make contact virtually impossible.

    United we stand here....

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    25,775
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís a subject that absolutely fascinates me. The universe is so vast that that intelligent life must exist, even if itís not widespread. What bothers me is our way of looking, we search for radio waves, what if other civilisations donít commicate that way?
    There has to be life somewhere but the distances are unfathomable.

    No matter how advanced civilisations might become Iím not sure the limitations of physics can be overcome to travel the distances required.

    Are radio waves not a bit of a constant in that just about everything emits some form of waves that can be captured?

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    23,848
    It's funny that there isn't substantially more footage of UFO's given the billions of smartphones/cameras being carried at all times across the planet.

    I appreciate that this doesn't mean that there isn't life elsewhere. If I had to give an answer I'd say that there probably is, but possibly in forms that we might not even understand as being life.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,830
    Part of me would love to discover alien life, thereís also the pessimistic part of me that is happy living in blissful ignorance. Discovering alien life then leads to worries about how vulnerable we might be to hostile advanced civilisations.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    35,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's funny that there isn't substantially more footage of UFO's given the billions of smartphones/cameras being carried at all times across the planet.

    I appreciate that this doesn't mean that there isn't life elsewhere. If I had to give an answer I'd say that there probably is, but possibly in forms that we might not even understand as being life.
    Is there any footage thats been verified as 100%

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,597
    This is a fascinating subject. There must be life of some sorts elsewhere. What always intrigues me about Science Fiction is that the stories are always satirising about how we can't get on as one species and live in harmony on the one tiny planet. Maybe the subject needs to move away from space craft and hostile aliens wanting to invade.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    18,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there any footage thats been verified as 100%
    Mars Attack: The Documentary.

    👽👾

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    21,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there any footage thats been verified as 100%
    No footage can be verified unless it's footage of an alien landing and actually climbing out its craft. Like all footage it's speculation and you have to take the persons word for it. There's lots of governmental footage from all over the world that comes out now and the, the History channel has a couple of shows relating to this, very interesting. A programme called Ancient Aliens is quite eye opening, regards ancient structures, civilisations etc.

    Like most of this stuff I tend to be open minded, millions of people who see and hear things can't all be loopy.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    18,009
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No footage can be verified unless it's footage of an alien landing and actually climbing out its craft. Like all footage it's speculation and you have to take the persons word for it. There's lots of governmental footage from all over the world that comes out now and the, the History channel has a couple of shows relating to this, very interesting. A programme called Ancient Aliens is quite eye opening, regards ancient structures, civilisations etc.

    Like most of this stuff I tend to be open minded, millions of people who see and hear things can't all be loopy.
    Reminds me of a book I read decades ago.


    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods%3F
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    35,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mars Attack: The Documentary.

    👽👾
    Iíll dig it out

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,584
    If aliens made contact people would go mad. We wouldn't be able to handle it.

  16. #15
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,426
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If aliens made contact people would go mad. We wouldn't be able to handle it.
    It would give Nigel Farage a whole new lease of life.

  17. #16
    I think itís arrogant in the extreme to believe that humanity is the only intelligent life form in the multitude of galaxies known to us ( never mind all the places we donít know about).

    Quantum physics may supply the answer in future or maybe Philip Pullman is nearer the truth with His Dark materials.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    34
    Posts
    16,342
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Opened this thread expecting something about a pub crawl through Gorgie

    Had the chance to visit SETI's HQ a couple of years ago (it's based not far from where I live when I'm Stateside) and it's fascinating to see some of the things that are going on in the search for extraterrestrial life.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    18,009
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think itís arrogant in the extreme to believe that humanity is the only intelligent life form in the multitude of galaxies known to us ( never mind all the places we donít know about).

    Quantum physics may supply the answer in future or maybe Philip Pullman is nearer the truth with His Dark materials.
    Intelligent life form you say?? 🤔
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  20. #19
    There was an Oxford study recently that suggested if intelligent life as we know it on earth is typical it's highly likely we may be alone in the universe.

    It worked on the statistical possibilities of all the flukes it took to create intelligent life on earth and calculated how likely it was to happen elsewhere. It also pointed out it took 4.5 billion years for intelligent life to appear on earth, about 4/5s of the way through our planet expected lifespan. Humans are essentially living through the twilight years of earth.

    I suppose you could argue that it's arrogant to assume we are alone. There is vast swathes of the universe we have never explored or observed. However we can observe about 13.67 billion light years from earth and have 100 billion stars in our own galaxy to focus on and the suggestion of intelligent life elsewhere is almost non existent. We may well have company in the universe but it would seem we are quite rare.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    16,529
    The most famous attempt to quantify this is the Drake equation. Itís probably a bit outdated now, but itís still the only attempt at trying to put a figure on this.

    United we stand here....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)