hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Learning another language

Hi all, can anyone recommend a person that can help me learning Italian?

Started off using Duolingo but would prefer a real person to chat with.

If this wrong forum please feel free to move.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi all, can anyone recommend a person that can help me learning Italian?

Started off using Duolingo but would prefer a real person to chat with.

If this wrong forum please feel free to move.
    I suspect this is the wrong forum but we are learning a different language using Listen And Learn and they have been great. The personal tutor is through Skype but pre-Covid we had lessons at her home.

One of her strong recommendations was to do anything else to complement the lessons - TV, Radio, books, magazines, apps, whatever - it all builds up.

Listen and Learn are London-based but have tutors around the U.K. The universities are another option as they offer virtual classes in evenings and for something like Italian there will probably be a lot of demand.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I really reccomend PIMSLEURS if its conversational. Outstanding. Im 57 and in a year have a more than decent grasp of Turkish.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

https://livefluent.com/pimsleur-ital...ique-features/

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It's easy now to watch films etc. in whatever language with subtitles in another - Italian/English, English/Italian or even Italian/Italian. Every little helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It's easy now to watch films etc. in whatever language with subtitles in another - Italian/English, English/Italian or even Italian/Italian. Every little helps.
    Just make sure it's not Gomorrah. I have an Italian friend who can't follow the Naples gangster dialect without the subtitles.

Buona fortuna...

@hibs.net private member
    I am trying to understand Spanish with a view to moving there. I say understand rather than learn as I think it is really important

to be accustomed to good, well spoken Spanish, or any language first.

I always have the Spanish equivalent of BBC 1 on in the background RTVE.es is the website. Don't concentrate, just let it flow.

Not much use to you I know but try and find the equivalent in Italy although I was blocked when I looked.

Even have the Italian national radio channel on in the background. There was a thread on somewhere on Hibs.net about foreign radio stations.

It is very important who you learn from as inevitably that person will have some sort of accent.

I used to teach children in Rome conversational English. One day I asked them to identify a red bus in English and they said the Italian version as in ' puss '.

Their previous teacher was from Liverpool !

@hibs.net private member
    Another handy thing in addition to what others have posted is a plug-in available on Netflix (assuming you have it) if you watch on Google Chrome on the PC. It’s called LLN (language learning for Netflix) and enables you to watch with 2 sets of subtitles (I.e. in addition to switching the audio track to your language of choice).

Thanks for ideas!! Please keep them coming.

I’m still early stage learner but progressing not too badly. I speak a little French and I’m surprised how many words are very similar.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Thanks for ideas!! Please keep them coming.

I’m still early stage learner but progressing not too badly. I speak a little French and I’m surprised how many words are very similar.
    You can get language exchange groups, where people teach each other a language, meet someone for an hour and chat for half an hour in English and half an hour in Italian.

My Mrs is fluent- lived in Milan for 15 years.
    Daily , shes listening to RadioDJ , which livestreams on youtube daily from 10am- keeps her current.
    The advantage s are the Djs are just talking about whatevers current in the world , so its faily easy to follow , triggerwords and all that.
    Shes away having a look for a couple of podcasts for you/ how much Italian do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Unless it's Alba

I live in Italy but due to covid restrictions I've had to study more online than I anticipated.

I'd recommend using italki. It's a website with professional and community teachers (depending on the level of expertise, experience etc.)

You can shop around a lot to find someone you like and there are a lot of great, cheap teachers on the platform.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Me sorprende que este hilo todavía esté en el foro principal.

I've used Italki.com for private lessons, it definitely helps speed up the process to get to a decent conversational level.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    I've used Italki.com for private lessons, it definitely helps speed up the process to get to a decent conversational level.
    This. Or indeed just (obviously) Google Italian lessons and check reviews. You can Google them for wherever you are (Edinburgh?) but one of the - very few, if not the only - advantages of the current crappy situation is that they all now seem set up to do lessons over zoom. I've been doing something similar during lockdown and it's worked well. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Me sorprende que este hilo todavía esté en el foro principal.

Sono un principante grazie!

Sono un principante grazie!
    Lol queste parole di cabbageandribs1875 non erano l'italiano!

Language transfer is as good as Pimsleur and it's free https://www.languagetransfer.org/

https://lingbe.com/ is really useful too.

I find that adding a few different strategies together is really effective - e.g. Duolingo for reading and writing, Language Transfer or similar for speaking and Netflix and the radio (RAI for Italian) for listening. I don't like Language Learning for Netflix, I prefer to put on the Italian subtitles (closed captions) and see how much I can follow. Curon is good if you like horror.

The real key to language learning is consistency. Do 15 mins of Duolingo and a Language Transfer lesson every day and you'll progress fast.

In boc'al lupo, non hai paura di fare errori

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Thanks all, very useful thread.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Thanks all, very useful thread.
    De nada, hombre!

Quote Originally Posted by Aritch View Post
    I live in Italy but due to covid restrictions I've had to study more online than I anticipated.

I'd recommend using italki. It's a website with professional and community teachers (depending on the level of expertise, experience etc.)

You can shop around a lot to find someone you like and there are a lot of great, cheap teachers on the platform.
    When I was more committed to trying to improve my very basic Italian a few years ago I looked online, but failed to find, an Italian news programme (radio or tv) which is aimed at children, like the Italian equivalent of John Craven's Newsround of old, so you get a broad mix of learning but easier language to follow and at a reasonable pace. Any suggestions?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Three tips:

Vocabulary, vocabulary and vocabulary. I bought books of yellow sticky labels and covered every single thing in my house with them. I'd written the German word and article on each label and only removed them from the item when I'd mastered them.

Learning a language is like a rolling snowball, the more vocabulary you understand the more and quicker you pick things up. Once you have a decent range of vocabulary then listening to the language will help everything else fall into place.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Three tips:

Vocabulary, vocabulary and vocabulary. I bought books of yellow sticky labels and covered every single thing in my house with them. I'd written the German word and article on each label and only removed them from the item when I'd mastered them.

Learning a language is like a rolling snowball, the more vocabulary you understand the more and quicker you pick things up. Once you have a decent range of vocabulary then listening to the language will help everything else fall into place.
    very good idea mate. Can’t believe I hadn’t considered this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    When I was more committed to trying to improve my very basic Italian a few years ago I looked online, but failed to find, an Italian news programme (radio or tv) which is aimed at children, like the Italian equivalent of John Craven's Newsround of old, so you get a broad mix of learning but easier language to follow and at a reasonable pace. Any suggestions?

Not exactly what you asked for, but you might like this:

https://www.newsinslowitalian.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greenhenry View Post

Lo provarro grazie

Quote Originally Posted by greenhenry View Post

Looks like an excellent learning tool. It rings a bell and I think I did suss it out a few years back but it looks much improved with variable speed and the 5 sec rewind button. $20/month sub though. So I will save it for an intensive month or two of learning immediately prior to next Italian holiday, whenever that might be!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Lo provarro grazie
    cough - proverò - cough.

Get those lessons quickly..

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    cough - proverò - cough.

Get those lessons quickly..
    Certo. Ama no very good witha ma tenses. I'll give them more tense shun.

Testimonial Due
    Rosetta Stone is a good app with lots of pronunciation work and builds up well. Using for Tagalog (Philippine's national language) which is far removed from European languages.