hibs.net Messageboard

Page 89 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 6434
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aberdeen bound if they can sell Cosgrove
    I heard Warnock wants him at Middlesbrough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Yeah, I'd have been in disagreement with them.

It wasn't a great season at all and he probably won it for some impressive stuff early in the season then actually turning up every week for the full season (not something to be sniffed at btw). Omeonga, Milligan, McNulty - all played better than him for smaller chunks of that season. It has taken hindsight for me to realise he was probably a big part of the problem rather than the solution.

This season - he hasn't shown enough in his starts to suggest he should be given more chances.

He's looked lively off the bench though. Very lively at times.

Mallan now screams "impact player" and the fact that Ross moved swiftly to bolster the midfield and played someone who hadn't played for nearly a year ahead of him in an important game at the weekend would suggest that the only person whose opinion actually matters would agree.

I don't expect Mallan to be all that happy about it, therefore I understand why a loan move is being discussed, even if it is just on here.
    Those are thoughtful & constructive comments. What I responded to originally was your comment that our results are dreadful when Mallan starts. As you used the present tense I assumed you were referring to the current season & that was a less thoughtful comment IMO. FWIW I'm not a huge SM fan but I do think he often gets a raw deal on here.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Those are thoughtful & constructive comments. What I responded to originally was your comment that our results are dreadful when Mallan starts. As you used the present tense I assumed you were referring to the current season & that was a less thoughtful comment IMO. FWIW I'm not a huge SM fan but I do think he often gets a raw deal on here.
    Fair enough.

And I’m certainly not going to back it up with any stats or figures - I can’t.

It’s just that it feels a bit cyclical - good performance off the bench, clamour to start, poor individual and team performance when he starts, back into the bench, looks lively off the bench.

Story of this season, if not the ones previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    They played together in some of the early European games before McGinn moved.

Mallan was excellent in those games and tbh we've been waiting on him recreating that form ever since.

Not sure if it was the McGinn factor, knocking his pan in early on as a new signing before dropping off a bit, European football suiting his strengths more...
    Sorry I’m confused was the majority of his goals with mcginn next to him that season?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Personally couldn't care less about Stewart. If we sign him,fair enough. If he ends up at Aberdeen can't say I'd be worried about him when they played us.

Though I suppose if we're to sign a striker in January it's hardly going to be a marquee signing due to the nature of the window.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Personally couldn't care less about Stewart. If we sign him,fair enough. If he ends up at Aberdeen can't say I'd be worried about him when they played us.

Though I suppose if we're to sign a striker in January it's hardly going to be a marquee signing due to the nature of the window.
    If Aberdeen sell Cosgrove and bring in Stewart, they’re weaker. I’m happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post

I’m the same, he’s done nothing to suggest he could become a great striker. No idea why he’s given so many plaudits. Mind you I said that about Steve Archibald before he signed for us. 😂

I like Mallan. Imo the critism he gets is unfair and cruel. He is paid to look forward from midfield and he does that, playing forward passes and scoring goals. He isnt perfect but if he was he wouldnt be at Hibs

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Sorry I’m confused was the majority of his goals with mcginn next to him that season?
    They weren’t. Mcginn left right at the start of the season, you’d be lucky if they played 5 games together. It’s ludicrous to suggest that Mallan’s good form that season had anything to do with Mcginn.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    They weren’t. Mcginn left right at the start of the season, you’d be lucky if they played 5 games together. It’s ludicrous to suggest that Mallan’s good form that season had anything to do with Mcginn.

Mallan was effectively a (not exactly like for like) replacement for SJM.

I think this explains the antipathy towards him. As Hibs fans we are often in a hyper state of vigilance about failing to replace our best players - because it is so difficult to do.

What Mallan DID do was offer us goals and assists from midfield - something we had been crying out for. But the weaknesses to his game mean that we have rarely tried to build a midfield around him.

I will always remember when we lined up against Celtc in a 4-4-2 with Mallan at the base of midfield. I thought we were going to get slaughtered yet we won 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Thanks and that’s how I remember it. It’s funny how these things allude people’s minds when trying to create a narrative. No room here for agitate factual information

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Mallan was effectively a (not exactly like for like) replacement for SJM.

I think this explains the antipathy towards him. As Hibs fans we are often in a hyper state of vigilance about failing to replace our best players - because it is so difficult to do.

What Mallan DID do was offer us goals and assists from midfield - something we had been crying out for. But the weaknesses to his game mean that we have rarely tried to build a midfield around him.

I will always remember when we lined up against Celtc in a 4-4-2 with Mallan at the base of midfield. I thought we were going to get slaughtered yet we won 2-0.
    Spot on, good post.

Problem mallan often found was he was being played as a holding midfielder which clearly isn’t his game. He’s a player with a lot of ability, seems a great pro and always comes across well I hope he has a future with hibs and cements a place in the side somewhere in time.

Hearts in for 23 year old 6'4 striker Elijah Adebayo from Walsall

Spot on, good post.

Problem mallan often found was he was being played as a holding midfielder which clearly isn’t his game. He’s a player with a lot of ability, seems a great pro and always comes across well I hope he has a future with hibs and cements a place in the side somewhere in time.
    How much more time can we give mallan??? It's safe to say that he's never going to cement any place at hibs and it's probably best for his own career if he finds a club that will give him a regular game.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    How much more time can we give mallan??? It's safe to say that he's never going to cement any place at hibs and it's probably best for his own career if he finds a club that will give him a regular game.

Yep, add in the fact we paid a fee for him and he’ll be on a wage to match that fee and he’s an expensive luxury IMO, more so in these times. Think he’s reached the same point Shaw did in that he needs to leave to get his progression back on track and play regularly. In a smaller team that can build a midfield to compliment him he can look a standout and have a good career, like Zaha for example. I just don’t think he’s got the all round attributes to ever be a starter in a team that will consistently compete for the top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post

Don’t get the time side of things no like he’s not shown what he can do but this season has been haulted by injury. Most folk were saying the same about Hallberg recently now he’s playing every week in a team which has been doing fairly well.

FWIW I don’t think JR sees him as a starter in this squad but for me that doesn’t mean he’s a bad player or as has been said a championship player or maybe means he isn’t fitting I to the system of make us hard to beat type approach.

Btw I’m no a Mallan lover I like him and think he’s a decent player just don’t like to see folk turn on someone which in my mind is unfair

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Yep, add in the fact we paid a fee for him and he’ll be on a wage to match that fee and he’s an expensive luxury IMO, more so in these times. Think he’s reached the same point Shaw did in that he needs to leave to get his progression back on track and play regularly. In a smaller team that can build a midfield to compliment him he can look a standout and have a good career, like Zaha for example. I just don’t think he’s got the all round attributes to ever be a starter in a team that will consistently compete for the top 4.
    I think there are 2 factors at play in why folk still rate Mallan:

1) His first season

2) His sub appearances

When Mallan comes on in certain games as a sub it is usually to replace a completely toiling midfield that is creating nothing.

Mallan is still a decent player with the ball at his feet, good range of passing, great if mostly unused now shot and decent set-piece delivery.

He is however the poorest athlete in this Hibs team by quite a significant distance and when we don't have the ball he is a man short.

If he is to have any chance of a decent career he need to play every week and get properly match fit and hopefully through this throw of those limitations which are so evident.

Would it be worth our while to offer Thomas Robert a loan deal to the end of the season and pay Airdrie some compensation or similar it could give us the edge for his signature long term if we are interested in him.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    I like Mallan. Imo the critism he gets is unfair and cruel. He is paid to look forward from midfield and he does that, playing forward passes and scoring goals. He isnt perfect but if he was he wouldnt be at Hibs

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s cruel.

He gets criticised for not playing well and gets praise when he does. Unfortunately most of his games since that first season haven’t really been good enough, which is a shame cause he’s a likeable player.

He’s clearly got talent but just hasn’t been producing good enough displays to warrant being a first team starter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I reckon a move back to St mirren would benefit everyone. Frees up a good wage as you say and he will have a chance to play every week. St mirren seem to be backing Goodwin and seem to be showing a bit ambition just now.
    I really wanted mallan to be a star at Easter road and I think we all thought he would be after the start he made but even he must know his times up with us when Ross preferred to start Jackson Irving who hadn't played a game in almost a year

Don’t get the time side of things no like he’s not shown what he can do but this season has been haulted by injury. Most folk were saying the same about Hallberg recently now he’s playing every week in a team which has been doing fairly well.

FWIW I don’t think JR sees him as a starter in this squad but for me that doesn’t mean he’s a bad player or as has been said a championship player or maybe means he isn’t fitting I to the system of make us hard to beat type approach.

Btw I’m no a Mallan lover I like him and think he’s a decent player just don’t like to see folk turn on someone which in my mind is unfair
    I agree mate and as I've said I thought he was going to be a star at hibs but its just not happening or ever will imo

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...XC6jMMGIH5FM_U

Mallan to St Mirren not a thing according to this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I think there are 2 factors at play in why folk still rate Mallan:

1) His first season

2) His sub appearances

When Mallan comes on in certain games as a sub it is usually to replace a completely toiling midfield that is creating nothing.

Mallan is still a decent player with the ball at his feet, good range of passing, great if mostly unused now shot and decent set-piece delivery.

He is however the poorest athlete in this Hibs team by quite a significant distance and when we don't have the ball he is a man short.

If he is to have any chance of a decent career he need to play every week and get properly match fit and hopefully through this throw of those limitations which are so evident.
    Do you have anything to back that comment up or is it just your opinion? Not having a go, genuinely interested. I ask because a year or 2 back I was told (from a good source) he had the best performance numbers in training in the squad & this season he was still one of the best.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Hearts in for 23 year old 6'4 striker Elijah Adebayo from Walsall
    Reverting to type.

Hooooooooof

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Do you have anything to back that comment up or is it just your opinion? Not having a go, genuinely interested. I ask because a year or 2 back I was told (from a good source) he had the best performance numbers in training in the squad & this season he was still one of the best.
    I also saw something when we signed him about having one of the best bleep test (that what they are called?) stats in the Barnsley squad.

Trouble is, if that is true then there's something completely missing which is his ability to impose these "stats" on a midfield. This is the trouble with Mallan and the arguments for keeping him, they're all based on a blind view of some stats, be it training stats or goals from his first 3 months with us years ago. There is just no way that Mallan is one of our most athletically capable players in a game, it shouldn't even be up for debate if you ask me.

I would guess most people who don't rate him anymore are basing their opinions on their own eyes being at games (or watching from sofa this season).

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Reverting to type.

Hooooooooof
    To be honest, we’re playing a lot of eye bleeding hoofball just now too so not sure we’re in a position to have a pop at them for that

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    To be honest, we’re playing a lot of eye bleeding hoofball just now too so not sure we’re in a position to have a pop at them for that
    Am sure they are making the same point on Kickback.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Am sure they are making the same point on Kickback.
    Who knows, they might well be

Just don’t think we’re in a position to criticise anyone’s style of play when ours has been pretty eye bleeding in the majority of games this season

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I don't think there's been sustained long term long ball football, there has been at certain points of games to relieve pressure but a lot of our play has been decent, on the ground football.

Spot on, good post.

Totally agree, I think he's a great player and at 24 he has plenty of time. Punt him out now and you might find a lot of people regretting it in years to come.