hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 215 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Campbell is head and shoulders above Hallberg and Mallan imo.

We are saying in midfield we are fine based on the last 2 weeks or so but that’s been one of the main things that people have moaned about this season, 2 games doesn’t change that for me.

Campbell is the type that doesn’t give opponents respect and makes life very difficult for them, which is something I don’t think we do.

Re Magennis, I found it odd he came on as the attacking midfielder on Saturday with Mallan and McGinn behind him. I’m not really too sure what he’s going to be like but hopefully he’s good.
    Just because people have been moaning about the fact we didn’t have a midfield that does not mean it was true.

We didn’t get to our league position just based on the last few weeks. I think it just happens that all those players we have said we have and that were capable are becoming available and have had more time playing.

I’d take Campbell to add to the squad, no problem, but it doesn’t means we desperately need him or anyone else in there just now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Campbell is head and shoulders above Hallberg and Mallan imo.

We are saying in midfield we are fine based on the last 2 weeks or so but that’s been one of the main things that people have moaned about this season, 2 games doesn’t change that for me.

Campbell is the type that doesn’t give opponents respect and makes life very difficult for them, which is something I don’t think we do.

Re Magennis, I found it odd he came on as the attacking midfielder on Saturday with Mallan and McGinn behind him. I’m not really too sure what he’s going to be like but hopefully he’s good.
    Magennis is the closest thing to an SJM type in teh way he can potentially be used. He needs time though. Someone robust like Cambell with a Newall, Allan type getting a free role would be cracking imo.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Just because people have been moaning about the fact we didn’t have a midfield that does not mean it was true.

We didn’t get to our league position just based on the last few weeks. I think it just happens that all those players we have said we have and that were capable are becoming available and have had more time playing.

I’d take Campbell to add to the squad, no problem, but it doesn’t means we desperately need him or anyone else in there just now.
    The ridiculous squad size that Hearts had was a big factor in their relegation last year. None of their players looked fit or well coached.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    Before last summer everyone was talking about Gogic in much the same way as we're now talking about Campbell. Now Gogic will struggle to get back into the team. I'm sure Campbell would be a good addition for us but I don't see him as a necessity. We've just scored 7 unanswered goals in the last 1.5 games without a ball winning midfield player in sight. I'm also not sure why Sheep would want him, didnt they shell out a decent amount for a star called Ojo?

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Before last summer everyone was talking about Gogic in much the same way as we're now talking about Campbell. Now Gogic will struggle to get back into the team. I'm sure Campbell would be a good addition for us but I don't see him as a necessity. We've just scored 7 unanswered goals in the last 1.5 games without a ball winning midfield player in sight. I'm also not sure why Sheep would want him, didnt they shell out a decent amount for a star called Ojo?
    Did you see our midfield v Aberdeen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Did you see our midfield v Aberdeen?

Massive sample size

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Massive sample size
    Or Hearts?
    This year top 4 is assured. The rest of the league is very weak due to the financial hit the league has taken. We have enough to beat all those teams as we are but if we want to challenge Aberdeen then we need better. Two games v Aberdeen and 1 v Hearts we have been found badly wanting.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Or Hearts?
    This year top 4 is assured. The rest of the league is very weak due to the financial hit the league has taken. We have enough to beat all those teams as we are but if we want to challenge Aberdeen then we need better. Two games v Aberdeen and 1 v Hearts we have been found badly wanting.

I agree to an extent.

But if you look at the current league table surely you could argue we are challenging Aberdeen this season?

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm not overly bothered about Campbell. I'd have him if he was affordable but wouldn't make him amongst our higher paid players. He's good at pressing but lacks passing ability and spatial awareness. The under 21's play him off Hornby where he can do a job in a defensive set up. The idea of him and Gogic would be awful. No playmaking at all. I do like the look of the young St Mirren lad though Doyle-Hayes. He's a tidy footballer. I've been impressed with Pinnock at Killie as well. He's a hell of an athlete and has a sweet left peg. He's one to watch as well.

Or Hearts?

Rangers at home? Celtic at home? The mighty Motherwell, home of solution too all problems Allan Campbell, last week?

''if we want to challenge Aberdeen''? Same Aberdeen we are currently ahead of? We are quite clearly challenging them already IMO.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6381591]Did you see our midfield v Aberdeen?

Yes I did. However I also saw us destroy Aberdeen at ER the previous season when we had a very similar midfield to this season's game. It's not necessarily who you pick but how you deploy them. I just posted on another thread that having Hallberg looking to go forward rather than sideways or backwards changes his game & our overall approach. In the last 2 games we have moved the ball through midfield much more quickly than we do when Gogic is playing.

Coaching Staff
    Or Hearts?

I wouldn’t have said our midfield was a huge issue in any of those games.

And as others have pointed out, we are challenging pretty well. We’ve really still to see the benefits of Magennis and Allan too.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I’d absolutely be making big moves for Campbell.

He has lots of energy about him. I don’t see why we couldn’t have Campbell and Macgennis in the same midfield?

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    It would be a sobering comparison to any 3 from Gogic/Newell/Mallan/Hallberg/Allan. If he will stay in Scotland it’s one we simply have to beat Aberdeen to however we manage it.

Wages are the real stumbling block for Campbell IMO, but wonder if Motherwell would accept Hallberg and Mallan, instead of cash, in January.
    Are you sure that is the answer. if the club wants to compete at the level of ambition that it has stated. As far as I'm aware that is competing for a regular top 3-4 position in the league for European qualification, as well being competitive in all domestic cup competitions. I think we need to increase the size and strength of the squad. Obviously this is an unprecedented season and as Jack Ross has said the squad is smaller and more tight knit. But to achieve the clubs ambitions we are going to need more strength ad depth in the squad. So we are going to have to do that but obviously circumstances as to play apart. I know Hallberg and Mallan are not everyone's cup of tea but I still think they both have something to offer. they are reasonably young and I still think they both have improvement and development in them. I think it is a bit soon to let them go and i prefer the pair of them to say Stephen McGinn or Tom James for the long term. If you see what i mean

Coaching Staff
    Can you loan two players from the same club this season got a text today saying we are keen on taking Jordan Jones (ex Killie) on loan. Read online he is serving a ban until start of January. Haven't seem him linked anywhere but he played in the 4-4 bounce game recently (and scored).

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Can you loan two players from the same club this season got a text today saying we are keen on taking Jordan Jones (ex Killie) on loan. Read online he is serving a ban until start of January. Haven't seem him linked anywhere but he played in the 4-4 bounce game recently (and scored).
    Hope that’s untrue, wouldn’t take him plus I can’t see him playing ahead of Boyle or Murphy

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    Hope that’s untrue, wouldn’t take him plus I can’t see him playing ahead of Boyle or Murphy
    Only passing it on bud. I'd prefer a centre half as cover if honest, but we do need something at the top end of the pitch too. Not sure how accurate the texter is either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I’d absolutely be making big moves for Campbell.

He has lots of energy about him. I don’t see why we couldn’t have Campbell and Macgennis in the same midfield?
    Add Allan to that midfield, and it would be better than anything outwith the Ugly Sisters.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Yes you can have two on loan from the same club at once and up to six in total. I'd say a lot of clubs will be taking advantage of this in January, ourselves included.

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    That's the crux though Jamie Murphy has not had a consistent run of games the whole season he is a big miss when he's out, therefore it would be shrewd to get cover for him till we see where we are with his fitness. Think Killie would be 1st in line though if he was to go out on lone. Just an opinion

Would love for us to get Jordan Jones, very good player at this level imo.

Him and Boyle on either would would be a brilliant watch.

Im a big fan of Murphy but he seems quite injury prone and Jones has the pace to scare teams.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Would love for us to get Jordan Jones, very good player at this level imo.

Him and Boyle on either would would be a brilliant watch.

Im a big fan of Murphy but he seems quite injury prone and Jones has the pace to scare teams.
    Likewise. Would be a great signing.

An update of sorts regarding the boys we have over from the states. Not sure it tells us much though.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/spor...-ross-19458707

Or Hearts?

Weren't found wanting in midfield against Hearts.
    That one was down to not taking our chances which has happened to much better teams than Hibs.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 15-12-2020 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Weren't found wanting in midfield against Hearts.
    That one was down to not taking our chances which has happened to much better teams than Hibs.
    In my opinion we were. We were never in control of the game which gave Hearts a punchers chance and they took it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    In my opinion we were. We were never in control of the game which gave Hearts a punchers chance and they took it.

I think that was only the case when they put their better players on as subs however Hibs butchered so many opportunities in that game we should have clearly won, that is of course not allowing for beibg denied the opportunity to win the game from 12 yards by the incompetence of the officials.

Coaching Staff
    I see in the gossip Column this morning a reference to Aberdeen having paid £850k last year for that Ronald Hernandez. Don't think I was aware at the time they had spent that type of cash on a player recently. He's played 3 times for that money.

Also, he was identified for them by Atlanta United! Nice, expensive start to that relationship.
    Last edited by Andy74; 15-12-2020 at 09:02 AM.

I see in the gossip Column thus morning a reference to Aberdeen having paid £850k last year for that Ronald Hernandez. Don't think I was aware at the time they had spent that type of cash on a player recently. He's played 3 times for that money.
    Was he not transferred from the club they have an affiliate to over in the States?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Was he not transferred from the club they have an affiliate to over in the States?
    Just added an edit - Atlanta helped them identify him but he was signed by Aberdeen from a Norwegian team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Just added an edit - Atlanta helped them identify him but he was signed by Aberdeen from a Norwegian team.
    Aberdeen pain nothing for him. Good work if you can get it.