hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 215 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be a sobering comparison to any 3 from Gogic/Newell/Mallan/Hallberg/Allan. If he will stay in Scotland it’s one we simply have to beat Aberdeen to however we manage it.

Wages are the real stumbling block for Campbell IMO, but wonder if Motherwell would accept Hallberg and Mallan, instead of cash, in January.
    It’d be a strong midfield but I’d still rather have our defence and our strikers, than theirs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    300k is more than fine, let's go for it.

It would be a sobering comparison to any 3 from Gogic/Newell/Mallan/Hallberg/Allan. If he will stay in Scotland it’s one we simply have to beat Aberdeen to however we manage it.

Wages are the real stumbling block for Campbell IMO, but wonder if Motherwell would accept Hallberg and Mallan, instead of cash, in January.
    I just don't get all the hullabaloo about us needing to get Campbell. I think Turnbull helped make him look good. Ok I don't watch 90mins of every Well game but from what I have seen since Turnbull left, Campbell hasn't shown me that he would be a significant upgrade to our midfield. In terms of overall value to the squad equation Campbell= Hallberg+Mallan? Nah, not on the current evidence.
    If we are to bring in another CM he should be a significant upgrade on what we already have. No point splashing the cash by offloading a player (or players) who rates an average of 6 per game just to bring in a 6.5.
    All the above is assuming Newell stays. If he does not sign an extension then we will def need to invest.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’d choose a 3 of McCrorie, Ferguson & Campbell over any combination of 3 of our midfielders (I’ll exclude Magennis from that as we don’t know much about him yet). Which doesn’t make all/any of our midfielders poor. I just think Ferguson, McCrorie & Campbell would all give you a bit if everything and also all make you a lot of money in the future. I think our midfielders aren’t anywhere near as rounded and we won’t make big money from any of them.

You’re unlikely to agree, and that’s fine.
    Never mind choosing them as a 3. Other than Allan I’d choose all 3 of them individually ahead of ours. They’re all very good players. Put them together and you’d have the best midfield outside the OF by a mile imo.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Never mind choosing them as a 3. Other than Allan I’d choose all 3 of them individually ahead of ours. They’re all very good players. Put them together and you’d have the best midfield outside the OF by a mile imo.
    I think you undervalue Joe Newall. In his current form he has to be one of the best in the division.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    We must push the boat out for Campbell. Other signings can wait until the summer; we have a solid defence with cover in all areas; good players in the wide areas; a duo of strikers who are scoring with JG as back up.

A team of:

Marciano
    McGinn Porto Hanlon Mackie (et al)
    Gogic Campbell
    Allan
    Boyle Doidge Nesbit
    That gives me the fizz.

Replace Gogic with JN for games against diddy teams, or drop Boyle back to RM, Murphy or Wright wide left with Campbell and AN Other in the middle and its a really strong squad to choose from.

Aberdeen will no doubt be after him, despite what they say in the press.
    Last edited by Jones28; 14-12-2020 at 10:22 AM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    We must push the boat out for Campbell. Other signings can wait until the summer; we have a solid defence with cover in all areas; good players in the wide areas; a duo of strikers who are scoring with JG as back up.

A team of:

Marciano
    Gogic Campbell
    Allan
    Boyle Doidge Nesbit
    That gives me the fizz.
    In a year of a pandemic we’ve already pushed the boat out for Nisbet and Macgennis.

It’s a position we’re well covered in. If we can get him on a pre contract and sensible wages yes but we don’t need Allan Campbell before the season ends.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    In a year of a pandemic we’ve already pushed the boat out for Nisbet and Macgennis.

It’s a position we’re well covered in. If we can get him on a pre contract and sensible wages yes but we don’t need Allan Campbell before the season ends.
    We do if it means he goes to Aberdeen instead, they bent over backwards to Rangers but the upshot is they signed a great player and we missed out.

A team of:

Marciano
    Gogic Campbell
    Allan
    Boyle Doidge Nesbit
    That gives me the fizz.

Replace Gogic with JN for games against diddy teams, or drop Boyle back to RM, Murphy or Wright wide left with Campbell and AN Other in the middle and its a really strong squad to choose from.

Aberdeen will no doubt be after him, despite what they say in the press.
    Joe Newall walked all over Campbell last week.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19

I’d keep Hallberg, think he is really underrated and the last couple games have shown that. Plus offering 2 players to sign 1 doesn’t seem very sensible when it comes to squad depth.

Mallan i wouldn’t be so bothered about, he had a great first season but has shown very little since unfortunately.

We do if it means he goes to Aberdeen instead, they bent over backwards to Rangers but the upshot is they signed a great player and we missed out.
    We don’t, our central midfield is fine and well covered just now.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Really don’t understand why people assume we would just shelve Joe Newell. The guy is a class act and more than good enough for the standard we require.

Coaching Staff
    Can't see the boat being pushed out for anyone to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Really don’t understand why people assume we would just shelve Joe Newell. The guy is a class act and more than good enough for the standard we require.
    It's strange how folk slate our midfielders and are desperate to replace them, often with players who have not shone against our midfield!

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Whittaker last season, Hallberg and Gogic this season all had their best games alongside him, that’s no coincidence.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    I’d keep Hallberg, think he is really underrated and the last couple games have shown that. Plus offering 2 players to sign 1 doesn’t seem very sensible when it comes to squad depth.

Mallan i wouldn’t be so bothered about, he had a great first season but has shown very little since unfortunately.
    Hallberg is in good form now and is deserving of his place, but he’s still got it all to prove in terms of whether he can be a consistent starter. He may be in the process of doing that now and come the end of the season folk (myself included) will view him more than a squad player. As it stands now though Campbell has been a consistent standout in the same timeframe Hallberg has been here. If we had to make some sacrifices to ensure we could get Campbell I’m all for it as in normal circumstances he’s a player out of our price range.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Joe Newall walked all over Campbell last week.
    Did campbell not end up getting moved to fullback , which handed us the middle of the park?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Got to be said not sure I get the hype about Campbell decent enough player and was good in the game at ER however Turnbull is a huge loss for Motherwell imo and the more recent games for Scotland under 21s plus last week not sure he is better than what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Did campbell not end up getting moved to fullback , which handed us the middle of the park?
    Can't day i noticed that. Where did O'Donnell move to?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Don't think so both full backs played the full game

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I think you undervalue Joe Newall. In his current form he has to be one of the best in the division.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like Newell. I’m just not sure he’s quite as good as Campbell, Ferguson or McRorie. Not a lot in it, but I think the 3 of them are better.

Wouldn't have known Campbell was on the park last week. As so many are fond of saying about our midfield "this is a game you must turn up in". He didn't and meanwhile Motherwell are in relegation form.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I like Newell. I’m just not sure he’s quite as good as Campbell, Ferguson or McRorie. Not a lot in it, but I think the 3 of them are better.
    No worries. In his current form I would have him over any of them.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Hallberg is in good form now and is deserving of his place, but he’s still got it all to prove in terms of whether he can be a consistent starter. He may be in the process of doing that now and come the end of the season folk (myself included) will view him more than a squad player. As it stands now though Campbell has been a consistent standout in the same timeframe Hallberg has been here. If we had to make some sacrifices to ensure we could get Campbell I’m all for it as in normal circumstances he’s a player out of our price range.

What about Magennis?

Surely we will give him time to get up to speed before we go shopping for another central midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    What about Magennis?

Surely we will give him time to get up to speed before we go shopping for another central midfielder.
    I hope Magennis is part of the midfield answer when he’s up to speed. Magennis, Newell & Campbell could be good with Gogic for specific games and potentially Hallberg competing too.

If we wait to see how Magennis turns out Campbell might have gone elsewhere by then.

I thought Campbell was very good against us last week, particularly in the first half. He is a very good young player and has a good bit of bite about him which we need. Also has a good engine in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    I hope Magennis is part of the midfield answer when he’s up to speed. Magennis, Newell & Campbell could be good with Gogic for specific games and potentially Hallberg competing too.

If we wait to see how Magennis turns out Campbell might have gone elsewhere by then.
    We’ve been after Magennis for years and he’s on a long contract.

If we are after Campbell then we will go for it if we can, I’m sure. It will be totally unrelated to how up to speed Magennis may or may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We’ve been after Magennis for years and he’s on a long contract.

If we are after Campbell then we will go for it if we can, I’m sure. It will be totally unrelated to how up to speed Magennis may or may not be.
    I agree. I replied to a poster asking if we should give Magennis a chance first before signing another midfielder. I wouldn’t view Campbell as a replacement for Magennis but rather someone to compliment him and Newell.

Campbell is head and shoulders above Hallberg and Mallan imo.

We are saying in midfield we are fine based on the last 2 weeks or so but that’s been one of the main things that people have moaned about this season, 2 games doesn’t change that for me.

Campbell is the type that doesn’t give opponents respect and makes life very difficult for them, which is something I don’t think we do.

Re Magennis, I found it odd he came on as the attacking midfielder on Saturday with Mallan and McGinn behind him. I’m not really too sure what he’s going to be like but hopefully he’s good.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    We don’t, our central midfield is fine and well covered just now.
    2 good games doesn't make it well covered, it's been a long time coming.

Can't believe people are turning their noses up at one of Scotlands promising young players.