hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 215 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Football playing centre half cover for Hanlon is top priority. The alternative Daz & Porteous combo is rough. What a season Hanlon is having. Would also like to see Findlay of Kilmarnock teed up for next season on a pre-contract given Daz will almost certainly stop playing.
    Second priority is a goalscoring striker as cover for our current 2 forwards although strikers don't keep well on ice. They need regular game time to stay sharp so might get away with putting this off and playing Gullan and Boyle as and when required.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Centre mid for me. Get away with it against teams in the bottom half but against the better sides we are too easy to play through in the middle.
    Need a centre half as well. Happy with our forward options.
    We can do nothing and still finish 4th, so it’s about improving our fortunes against top teams in order to do something in the cups. For that I think we need to improve centre mid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Football playing centre half cover for Hanlon is top priority. The alternative Daz & Porteous combo is rough. What a season Hanlon is having. Would also like to see Findlay of Kilmarnock teed up for next season on a pre-contract given Daz will almost certainly stop playing.
    Second priority is a goalscoring striker as cover for our current 2 forwards although strikers don't keep well on ice. They need regular game time to stay sharp so might get away with putting this off and playing Gullan and Boyle as and when required.
    I dont think a CH will be added. Gogic will be the additional cover if needed

@hibs.net private member
    I do think that Jamie Gullan needs to be playing more regularly at this stage of his career. Another forward option with Jamie going on loan to a bottom 6 SPL team or top of the championship should be arranged. Great hopes for Jamie but playing 15 mins once a week will stifle his chances.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Centre mid for me. Get away with it against teams in the bottom half but against the better sides we are too easy to play through in the middle.
    We can do nothing and still finish 4th, so it’s about improving our fortunes against top teams in order to do something in the cups. For that I think we need to improve centre mid.

Agreed, but only in the unlikely event we can sign someone who is an upgrade and the long term answer. Hopefully Hallberg’s emergence the last two games can see us through to the end of the season and I’d keep the January money for midfield towards our summer budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Minor work this window in addition to not losing anyone at all would be much better. IMO.

We were looking threadbare not long back and three crap results followed. I mean if any of Lewis, Joe Newell, Paul McGinn, Ryan Porteous or Christian Doidge took a knock today for instance? I like a hungry squad but also one with lots of options. There’s room for one or two.
    Posted this on the January Transfer Window thread (merge?) after JR's Friday presser.....
    JR asked if he expects to be busy during the Jan window.
    Says he will be active to some extent as he looks to strengthen depth in a couple of areas and keep the squad fresh but not overly busy and it will also depend on what moves out.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    I think Greg Stewart would suit us well and can play a few positions
    I know 30 is the new 27 in football but I want us to focus on youth and resale

Would like to get another striker in. Don't think we need much more

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Would like to get another striker in. Don't think we need much more
    Same. Striker and a CB for cover will do me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Who is he?
    Where does he play?
    Who does he currently play for?

Etc. Etc.
    Son of former Newcastle player Laurent Robert. If he's anything like his dad, get him signed

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    I’d like to see us secure Campbell and Findlay on pre contracts. Bring in a back up striker and Gullan to go on loan to a Hamilton, Ross county or Dunfermline. Pretty happy with what we have.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevi_SOL View Post
    I’d like to see us secure Campbell and Findlay on pre contracts. Bring in a back up striker and Gullan to go on loan to a Hamilton, Ross county or Dunfermline. Pretty happy with what we have.
    I like the look of manny duku at raith, I did think he was younger than 27 so maybe not prepared to be 3rd choice but could be his last chance at a decent sized club, think he looks the part in championship great goal against them as well

Quote Originally Posted by Nevi_SOL View Post
    Gullan will get more experience training with us and playing 15-20mins/week than he would playing 90 for dross like Hamilton.
    Not in favour of him moving out on loan. His chance for more game time will come. Doidge/Nisbet are not indestructible and he is a more than capable deputy.
    Campbell's stock is in decline. Not that impressed tbh. Not seen much of Findlay but from what I have seen he just looks like a carthorse huddie rather than a footballer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Son of former Newcastle player Laurent Robert. If he's anything like his dad, get him signed
    Celtic and Dundee United two of several teams interested in Airdrieonians' Thomas Robert

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/c...thomas-robert/

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Gullan will get more experience training with us and playing 15-20mins/week than he would playing 90 for dross like Hamilton.
    Not in favour of him moving out on loan. His chance for more game time will come. Doidge/Nisbet are not indestructible and he is a more than capable deputy.
    Campbell's stock is in decline. Not that impressed tbh. Not seen much of Findlay but from what I have seen he just looks like a carthorse huddie rather than a footballer.
    Campbell is now in a struggling team. He’d be dynamite in our midfield.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    What’s the story with Robert going to Airdrie?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Completely agree. Not many people mentioning a centre mid as a priority but its the first position I'd be looking at. Someone disciplined who can tackle and move the ball on please.

The last two weeks have been great but I honestly can't see us winning many big matches with a midfield duo of Newell and Hallberg.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure of the position but we need a real leader on the pitch. For all Paul Hanlon brings on the pitch he isn't a leader.
    We need a Scott Brown,Yogi or Shinnie
    type who drives us on. We still get bullied in too many games.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Not sure of the position but we need a real leader on the pitch. For all Paul Hanlon brings on the pitch he isn't a leader.
    That not Gogic?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    That not Gogic?
    Physical but not a leader. Nipping at the ref. Driving team mates on when it is going against us etc.

We can still be too boy band like.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsmad View Post
    Completely agree. Not many people mentioning a centre mid as a priority but its the first position I'd be looking at. Someone disciplined who can tackle and move the ball on please.

The last two weeks have been great but I honestly can't see us winning many big matches with a midfield duo of Newell and Hallberg.
    Hopefully Magennis is that midfielder you refer to. Ross must think so, having splashed out cash and given the guy a five year contract. If he can come into the side and make an impact, that will be a huge bonus.

I suspect there won’t be much action at Hibs during this transfer window. Cash is surely very tight and unless we see players leaving, I don’t think there will be any big moves, although I wonder if we will see some of the guys out of contract moving on?

Gullan should be staying at Hibs, he’s getting close to a starting place and needs to be here in order to stake his claim. Not averse to young Doig going on loan, we have cover enough there with Stevenson
    and Mackie

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I can’t agree with that at all. Porteous, Hanlon, Doidge, Nisbet, Marciano, Boyle and the like all show leadership and determination.

Since Stubbs took over we never were “boy band”. It’s a horrible phrase created by an egotist who wanted to look big when our 15/16 squad showed a huge deal of determination and grit and when given the chance to show it they still do - see yesterday, sorting themselves out the week before, breaking quickly out of a drop in form and the 2-2 game vs Rangers.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I can’t agree with that at all. Porteous, Hanlon, Doidge, Nisbet, Marciano, Boyle and the like all show leadership and determination.

Since Stubbs took over we never were “boy band”. It’s a horrible phrase created by an egotist who wanted to look big when our 15/16 squad showed a huge deal of determination and grit and when given the chance to show it they still do - see yesterday, sorting themselves out the week before, breaking quickly out of a drop in form and the 2-2 game vs Rangers.
    Agree, there are plenty of determined characters at Hibs, no shortage of leadership on or off the field. It’s not a phrase I would use to describe this side at all.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsmad View Post

Centre midfield is about the last position we currently need.

This nonsense comes out all the time. Ask the players if he’s a leader. When was the last time we were bullied?

Physical but not a leader. Nipping at the ref. Driving team mates on when it is going against us etc.

Christ that boy band patter needs to end

So desperately off the mark its unreal

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Centre midfield is about the last position we currently need.
    I’m not so sure either. It’s certainly my priority in the summer but the emergence of Halberg the last two games (although I didn’t see either) could be like a new signing and see us through to the summer. The collection of central midfielders have largely struggled against the better teams, particularly Aberdeen, last season and this season. I’d probably keep our budget for the summer or a pre contract than sign a short term loan in January for midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    I think Greg Stewart would suit us well and can play a few positions
    Is it just me that doesn’t rate him! Avg player at best and not sure how he would improve us!

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

The boy band thing was a bit of a sensationalist headline at the time of his appointment.....Lennon was referring more to the team over the years, particularly under Mowbray when we would beat Celtic one week and then lose to Motherwell the next. He actually praised Stubbs team for showing great character to win the cup after losing to Falkirk.

Blog Entries
    By that logic Pat Stanton wasn't a leader either. Sometimes players just lead by example & by having the total respect of their colleagues. I did however notice that it was Paul who got in Bobby Madden's face after the soft pen award to Celtc.