hibs.net Messageboard

Page 105 of 215 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 6434
    Centre halves dont usually peak until their late 20's. The problem we have is that we dont really have the option to drop him if hes going through a difficult spell. He needs to cut out the nonsense though. I dont know where the going down and wanting free kicks 3 or 4 times a game has came from but it needs to stop. Stand up, be strong and defend the ball coming into the box and stop wanting the ref to give you a dig out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so sure myself that Porteous is at this stage a £3m Scottish player but we can agree to disagree on that because my opinion is no more or less relevant than yours.

But again, you seem to be getting prematurely upset over paper talk?

If we do sell him for that and you think he is worth more, which you clearly do, then that is the time to be upset, not that my or your opinion will make the slightest difference.

Far too many folk worry about a day that may never come and get themselves all worked up about it.

There are enough actual happenings as a Hibs supporter to do that job for you :-)
    I’m not upset at all. I’m not even assuming the club will be selling him for 1.5-2m or even at all I’m just speaking hypothetically.

I find your posts a little patronising as well so on that note I bid you a good day 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Is Jason Kerr better than Ryan Porteous?

Ryan's only 21 and a more than capable spl centre half

He's much improved from when he first started getting first team football

He's doing absolutely fine for a 21 year centre half who's played 60 odd games

Wouldnt want him sold at all

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Kerr definitely looked the better player on saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Kerr definitely looked the better player on saturday.
    Kerr had a good game on Sat. Porto AND Hanlon have had plenty good games this season...overall they have both had a good season. We have a habit of battering our own players when they make a mistake whilst pointing out every thing fantastic about other teams players. None of the CHs talked about recently have been consistently better than what we have and until Hibs can find better we wont be replacing the 2 we currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Not so sure myself that Porteous is at this stage a £3m Scottish player but we can agree to disagree on that because my opinion is no more or less relevant than yours.

But again, you seem to be getting prematurely upset over paper talk?

If we do sell him for that and you think he is worth more, which you clearly do, then that is the time to be upset, not that my or your opinion will make the slightest difference.

Far too many folk worry about a day that may never come and get themselves all worked up about it.

There are enough actual happenings as a Hibs supporter to do that job for you :-)

I can't see anyone getting worked up about it, this is a transfer window and there's talk in the papers this time and not just rumours from Greggs, it's only natural we discuss them on here and give our opinions as to price etc.

Milwall's record spend is 900k in Jan 2019 - They won't be offering this money Porteous is worth - Even based on potential alone. Lets move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Kerr had a good game on Sat. Porto AND Hanlon have had plenty good games this season...overall they have both had a good season. We have a habit of battering our own players when they make a mistake whilst pointing out every thing fantastic about other teams players. None of the CHs talked about recently have been consistently better than what we have and until Hibs can find better we wont be replacing the 2 we currently have.

I never knocked Porteous in my post, I merely said on saturday Kerr was the better player, he's only a couple of years older than Ryan who is still young and learning, he's still very prone to making errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    Milwall's record spend is 900k in Jan 2019 - They won't be offering this money Porteous is worth - Even based on potential alone. Lets move on!
    Millwall fans reckon they have already bid 2.5m for Molumby this window so they must have money from somewhere.
    Last edited by 04Sauzee; 26-01-2021 at 08:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It would be a shame if he went there. I can't bring myself to ever want anything positive to happen to that football club.

First Team Breakthrough
    Spot on and consistently better is the key point which is also borne out by the fact that both our CH's have had call ups to the national side.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I never knocked Porteous in my post, I merely said on saturday Kerr was the better player, he's only a couple of years older than Ryan who is still young and learning, he's still very prone to making errors.
    I was talking in general JC not saying you were knocking the player.

I was talking in general JC not saying you were knocking the player.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    I still think think we have the basis of a good squad the best transfer we could make is Jack Ross and a guy in that plays players where they are best .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Are we a Selling Club?

We certainly used to be a Selling Club, but how many big money sales have we managed in the last 10 years? It certainly appears that we may be moving back to that idea, but for years, we are more a club that accumulates journeymen in the hope of uncovering a gem. SJM is an obvious exception and the signing of Nisbet is a positive sign. When we were genuinely a Selling Club, we generated our players in house and sold them on for big money.

I can't see a massive surge in interest in Porto or Doig. So a couple of clubs are claimed to be interested, but I doubt we would get a decent offer for either. In a couple of years, Porto will have hopefully developed more and increased his value making a move then better all round. Going to Millwall at 21 is going to be a shock. Doig is in his first season and shouldn't be even thinking about a move at this stage.

1 million plus a sell on would be good money for Porteous and he'd be away I reckon.

Blog Entries
    Sure you're on the right board? Far too sensible a post.

Some of the folk criticising Porteous on here need a reality check. Yes he makes some errors (like Rhys Williams) but he can still improve. Yes he is sometimes very optimistic with his long ball or diagonals, but that is usually down to no-one from midfield offering themselves up as an easier option. Overall IMO he has improved this season. He is very composed on the ball. He's cut down the rash lunges giving away free kicks and getting yellows. Yes he goes to ground too easily but mostly he is clever in winning free kicks and the odd penalty by inviting contact (although there was one glaring one Sat when the ref wasn't interested and the Saints boy raced away with the ball). Overall the pros far outweigh the cons and given his age, the gap between them will only increase. If he goes now, no way will we be able to get in a like for like player on whom we are likely to make a profit. We need to keep him through 21-22 giving time for further development and his stock to be enhanced, then look to sell when he has one year left on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Some of the folk criticising Porteous on here need a reality check. Yes he makes some errors (like Rhys Williams) but he can still improve. Yes he is sometimes very optimistic with his long ball or diagonals, but that is usually down to no-one from midfield offering themselves up as an easier option. Overall IMO he has improved this season. He is very composed on the ball. He's cut down the rash lunges giving away free kicks and getting yellows. Yes he goes to ground too easily but mostly he is clever in winning free kicks and the odd penalty by inviting contact (although there was one glaring one Sat when the ref wasn't interested and the Saints boy raced away with the ball). Overall the pros far outweigh the cons and given his age, the gap between them will only increase. If he goes now, no way will we be able to get in a like for like player on whom we are likely to make a profit. We need to keep him through 21-22 giving time for further development and his stock to be enhanced, then look to sell when he has one year left on his contract.
    Agreed. There is definitely a cracking player there who is still learning his craft.

He does seem, though, at times of late to have regressed in positional play and decision making

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    1 million plus a sell on would be good money for Porteous and he'd be away I reckon.
    Good job your not valuing and negotiating our players values/worth

I genuinely can’t believe what I’m reading. Between £1-2m let’s take it and sell RP!

He’s had a couple of shaky moments this season but he’s 21! Show me another 21 year old CB who doesn’t make mistakes!

We consistently talk our game down and this is another example of undervaluing our players.

RP is worth more than that to us IMO. Bidding should start at £3m and not a penny less. That said, we should be retaining the likes to Porteous, Doig, Nesbit etc and building better, stronger, more experienced players around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I wouldn't be overly concerned if we sold Porteous and brought in a replacement if it was a reasonable fee with sell-ons. For me he isn't improving.
    Your not watching the same player then. From the rash Laddie he’s 100% improved this season, his stats speak for themselves. He’s going to make mistakes and have bad games tell me a player that doesn’t never mind a 21 year old centre half who I think has started every league game for us this season.

Always amazes me how the previous game and performance of a players completely clouds the bigger picture and overall performance.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Centre halves dont usually peak until their late 20's. The problem we have is that we dont really have the option to drop him if hes going through a difficult spell. He needs to cut out the nonsense though. I dont know where the going down and wanting free kicks 3 or 4 times a game has came from but it needs to stop. Stand up, be strong and defend the ball coming into the box and stop wanting the ref to give you a dig out.
    Totally agree with this point. Fair enough if a blatant foul but not a normal challenge like Saturday. He did this at Ibrox in the second half instead of playing the ball and ended up with Balogun almost scoring. He also seems to have completely lost his threat in the opposition box as he used to be a big threat for scoring from corners.

Coaching Staff
    It’s a funny one with centre halfs because they do all their learning at a young age and get better with that experience.

If they aren’t realistically going to be here for their better years then a good offer for a young centre half is tempting. Take the cash and bring in a more developed one for the next 3 years or so and also to help continue to build other areas of the team.

I doubt Millwall will be spending that type of money though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer1875 View Post
    I genuinely can’t believe what I’m reading. Between £1-2m let’s take it and sell RP!

He’s had a couple of shaky moments this season but he’s 21! Show me another 21 year old CB who doesn’t make mistakes!

We consistently talk our game down and this is another example of undervaluing our players.

RP is worth more than that to us IMO. Bidding should start at £3m and not a penny less. That said, we should be retaining the likes to Porteous, Doig, Nesbit etc and building better, stronger, more experienced players around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I totally get your argument. Porteous will have 2 years left on his contract at the end of the season. That gives us something like 3 windows to make any serious amounts of cash if he doesn't sign a new contract.
    I'm not sure his market value right now and don't know when the best window would be to cash in.

If he was getting capped for Scotland he would probably be more valuable and could probably gwt himself a better deal.

I really don't know his worth or when he should move on.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Good job your not valuing and negotiating our players values/worth
    You need to remember these times are not normal. £1m plus sell on for Porteous wouldn't be totally out of the realms of possibility IMO.

I'm not saying I think thats what he's worth, but that might the kind of offer the club think of accepting.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I’m not upset at all. I’m not even assuming the club will be selling him for 1.5-2m or even at all I’m just speaking hypothetically.

I find your posts a little patronising as well so on that note I bid you a good day 👍🏼
    To be honest I find most of your posts more than a little hysterically panicked so it's not a bad idea to leave it at this. Good luck to you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    You need to remember these times are not normal. £1m plus sell on for Porteous wouldn't be totally out of the realms of possibility IMO.

I'm not saying I think thats what he's worth, but that might the kind of offer the club think of accepting.
    No I get what your saying mate but thankfully the club value him significantly more than that even in this current climate.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It’s a funny one with centre halfs because they do all their learning at a young age and get better with that experience.

If they aren’t realistically going to be here for their better years then a good offer for a young centre half is tempting. Take the cash and bring in a more developed one for the next 3 years or so and also to help continue to build other areas of the team.

I doubt Millwall will be spending that type of money though.
    This is a very good point actually. I feel we would benefit from someone who has been round the block a bit, like McGregor was when he arrived, to steady things.

A good example from the past is Pressley, got a few opportunities in the Rangers team made a move for decent money to Coventry where he was absolutely terrible, another big money move to D Utd but it wanst until he turned up at Hearts that he really showed what a good, consistent player he was.

I doubt Ryan will be going to Millwall but there will be clubs in that league well aware of him and thinking about making moves. What we get depends on his current deal and wages too, no use turning down bids of 1-2 million only for his agent to turn round and say "well if he is worth more you need to start paying him more to reflect the valuation".

@hibs.net private member
    Since the days of Stein and Marinello we have sold on players and NEVER replaced them with the same price and quality ... quite frankly if Ryan Portoeous was playing for any other SPL team we would not be able to afford to buy him .. if we sold Ryan and bought say Stuart Findlay from Kille now they would want I reckon about 300k and he would want more than Ryan will be on given he signed his deal in 2018.. so replacing him has to factor into it .. I agree wholeheartedly on the hibs model of promote and sell but it has to be at the right price and time .. Ryan has 2 years left of his contract after ths season ends .. he's a 21 year old with 60 + games play in the top leagus in scotland and no panic from us and 14 U21 caps .. even if he stands still development wise the invetment hibs have made in him is in the +ve till his contract ends .. it would need to be close ( 75%) to a mcginn type offer I suspect for hibs to even blink .. he's 21 .. he will improve .. cut him some slack !
    Last edited by SQHib; 26-01-2021 at 11:25 AM.

First Team Breakthrough Audio Visual's Avatar
    Ryan Porteous is undoubtedly the best homegrown CH prospect in my 40 years as a Hibee. If it weren't for the width of the bar and some shoddy finishing, we could have been 2 or 3 up on St Johnstone - would people still be clamouring for their CHs to replace ours then? Porteous needs encouragement not sold and certainly not for the first bid that comes in. We need a few more players like Ryan not less.