hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should believe it because to set off an EMF detector you need some form of electricity/power. If you go into a kitchen or room you will get a spike on the EMF, you go through all the rooms and get a base line so you know what is expected, if the EMF goes up above the base line it generally means there's been a surge of power from somewhere. We were in an old building void of all power so the base line was at zero, to get massive spikes in a building with no power is a big deal.
    Ok, sorry.

I believe.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Ok, sorry.

I believe.

Not so much about believing, don't know if even I believe but I'm open minded about these things. Millions of people all over he world have experienced different sorts of paranormal events and much can be explained away, it's very hard to changed peoples minds on these things as personal experience is vital to make you believe.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Not so much about believing, don't know if even I believe but I'm open minded about these things. Millions of people all over he world have experienced different sorts of paranormal events and much can be explained away, it's very hard to changed peoples minds on these things as personal experience is vital to make you believe.
    You are missing a whoosh mate.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    It’s absolutely true that you will have to have a personal experience to make you believe.

I’ve never witnessed anything that I would consider paranormal etc and as such I have absolutely no belief in it.

I’m sure that would change the minute it happened but without it it’s just impossible to fathom.

I should really share The Awful Story Of The Empty Barn.

Ach, there was nothing in it.

Credit for this tale to John Laurie from dad’s Army circa 1970😀

A few years back I was working in a job selling flooring. A colleague and I were sent to inspect a wooden floor in a castle that a fitter had ****ed up.

On arriving we were greeted by the owner of the house (who happened to be an Earl) and got on with what we had to do. As expected the floor needed redone from scratch and we had the fitter with us expecting as much. We agreed to stay to help out and we got to work right away. At about 1pm the housekeeping staff asked us to use the back stairs if we needed to go in or out as the 'master of the house' was sitting down to lunch and shouldn't be disturbed. They did warn us that we would have to pass a small drawing room in which the Earls father would be. They said just to go through as he had advanced dementia and would just ignore us. I had to go out to the van and as instructed came back up the back stairs. As I passed through the drawing room the old guy, as advised, completely ignored me. There was a child in the room though and he was climbing on the window sill then jumping on the floor repetitively. Just as I was leaving the room he gestured to the old guy and said to me 'he can't see me you know'. Given the guys infirmity I thought this was just a kid being cheeky and thought nothing of it. When I got back downstairs I casually mentioned to the housekeeper that one of the children was in the old guys room and jumping near the window. She looked at me and said 'there's no children living here at the moment'. This prompted a swift dash upstairs by the housekeeping team to check this out and there was no child to be seen. One of them sheepishly asked the Earl if any of the children were on site and he confirmed that they weren't.

I'm still not totally sure I didn't imagine the whole thing or what the explanation is but it left me really unsettled for weeks and I'm still uneasy about it now.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I had never been a believer in ghosts or anything like that. About thirty years ago I was working in Sussex and stayed in a small hotel that my company had used before, there was a group of us and some had stayed previously and they all said room x was haunted according to the stories they had been told on previous stays and not to accept that room if offered it. I laughed and said what a complete load of bollox. I took the room and off I went to bed, what can only be described as some form surrounding me and smothering the life out of me was my experience that night. I eventually broke free of it and bolted from that room banging on the door of my mates room where I slept on the floor. Never been so scared in my life. still don’t know wether it was on my mind and just a nightmare or a real experience but I never belittled ghost stories after that experience.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    We've had some strange goings on on our old rolling stock a few years ago. One night we had a dead coach, no power to it at all as the MA (Motor Alternator) had a flash over so it was gubbed, all alarm systems in this coach were isolated as well. The only lighting available was by using glow sticks as even the batteries were dead (the batteries never lasted long anyway as they were old). Now this coach was in the middle of the rake but all coaches either side still work normally as the power supply still passes through the power cables to the coaches on either side, it just doesn't power the affected coach.

Anyway, this one particular night a call alarm went off (there was a call attendant button in each berth) and the staff went off to investigate it. Upon arriving at the dead coach they discovered that one of the call buttons had been pressed from inside a locked berth in this dead coach. Seemingly impossible as the coach was without power. Anyway they looked in the berth which was of course empty so slightly stumped they reset it and went about their business again. This happened a total of 3 times iirc, the same thing in the same coach in the same berth. The coach number was 10666 and it had a history of strange occurrences and also many years ago an elderly passenger went to sleep in that coach and never woke up. Could it be connected to that? We will never know as the coaches were all scrapped or sold to private collectors/companies earlier this year when the new fleet entered service.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Left by mutual consent!
    Around 40 years ago I had an experience which would send most folks running screaming out the house. This went on for a whole week, every night. Its too long a story to go into but it involved visions, sounds and physical touches.
    I've never been one to leap to the supernatural explanation for weird stuff, there are billions upon billions of dead people. Why do only a tiny fraction of them manifest themselves?
    For my particular experience I was incredibly stressed at the time so chose to ride it out telling myself it was my brain playing tricks on me, even though it was as real as I'm sitting here now. After a week it stopped and never re-ocurred.
    I believe until we fully understand the human brain people will continue to attribute these strange experiences to ghosts, alien visitations, whatever.
    Not denying or belittling other folks experiences in any way but Im sure science will figure it all out some day.

About 5 years ago we went to Stourbridge to meet up with friends, we all did internet radio presenting and the station owner and many of the original presenters lived down there.

We booked into the Talbot Hotel for a couple of nights, the hotel is around 400 yrs old and was seemingly on Most Haunted. The 1st evening after a few drinks we went back to the room and went to sleep. Around 2.30ish in the morning I awoke to hear the tap in the bathroom sink turned full on and water pouring out it. I woke the wife and went to the bathroom to turn it off, I asked her if she forgot to turn it off after brushing her teeth but like me was too tipsy to remember her teeth and went straight to bed. So no one had used the tap but it came on in the early hours, I turned it off and on again and the tap didn't seem to be loose, after telling the receptionist, she told us that room does gave a history of poltergeist activity.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I had something I couldn't really explain when I visited my gran in her care home, will set this up by saying her care home was fantastic, was more like a hotel, really modern, open and airy, clean, lovely staff etc

But one occasion when I went to visit I had a feeling come over me that I've never felt before or since

This wasn't a place I dreaded going or had any particular ill feelings about but that one time as soon as I walked in the atmosphere felt really heavy, I felt uneasy and claustrophobic which is something I've never suffered from before or since

I just had a genuine feeling of I'm hating this place today and I have no clue or reason why, it just felt horrible

After I left I returned to normal and couldn't explain what had happened, everyone else was happy as Larry going about their day but I just felt so uneasy and rank

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    I'm a firm believer of the supernatural etc, so whether that makes me more susceptible to things is open to debate, but I'm had a few things happen that are difficult to explain.

First, the house that we are in we purchased in 2002. It's not a new property - built in 1970. The previous owner was an Italian woman and owner of the BBQ in Corstorphine. When we viewed the house, it had several beds in each room and hadn't really been touched since the day it was built - really gave the impression that it was used as either a British base for her (she spent most of her time in Italy) or was used for staff etc. The house took a lot of time and money to do up, but one night I remember waking up in what is the biggest of the 3 bedrooms upstairs. Looking out into the hall, there was a guy standing there who was maybe around 50 - just standing at the bedroom door. I remember being overcome with shivers and wouldn't move. I couldn't say anything for what seemed like forever, but was probably more like 10 seconds. The person then just seemed to move along the hallway towards one of the other bedrooms. My young daughter was sleeping in one of the rooms so really had to get up and see who/what it was and ensure everything was as it should be. She was only about 5 at the time, and was sound asleep. Taking her to school the next day, she just happened to say that she had been playing with a friend in her bedroom during the night, but was a bit disappointed when her Dad came to take her home. Can't explain that one!

The second one happened one night in the middle of winter. My wife's family come from and still live in and around Stranraer - that in itself isn't strange. Any time we visit we head down the A77, past Ayr, Turnburry, Girvan etc. One time we were heading down we had been told that the road just outside of Cairnryan was closed due to sever flooding, so had to travel via Dumfries that time. It was dark, about 8pm on a Friday night and chucking it down with rain. We were coming up to Castle Kennedy, which is a small village on the A75 just outside of Stranraer. It wasn't the weather for anyone to be outside, but about 100 yards before the houses started there was a guy standing at the side of the road. Remember him clear as day - a guy in his early 20's, short brown hair, wearing a red checked shirt and jeans. As we passed him he almost seemed to run towards the car. I remember swerving slightly to avoid him, and I was greeted with my wife asking me what I was doing as we could've been killed by swerving into the path of the oncoming HGV. She said that she didn't see anyone, and why would someone be so stupid to be standing outside in that weather. We mentioned it to her brother-in-law who has been driving HGV's for several years. He mentioned that there was a bloke killed just outside Castle Kennedy several years beforehand by an HGV - I'd never heard the story before.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The only other vaguely interesting (at least to me) event was on a day trip to Rothesay when I was about 10/11 and I experienced incredibly lucid déjà vu. I had never been there before, but I knew exactly how to get to a certain restaurant we were looking for.
    I don’t get it as much or as vividly I used to but I got this a lot in my teens and twenties. Things like when I managed a Blockbuster store and had to cover another store due to illness - had never been in there before but a member of staff who Id never met before cracked a joke whilst filing the returns and I was at the front desk. Knew the punchline straight away even though it was his original joke but was aware of the exact same person in the exact same building and we were in the exact same positions.

It wasn’t uncommon for me to know what was coming up word for word in little snippets of conversation or even finding myself in new places and having an immediate familiarity with them.

I went to a friend who runs a spirituality forum to ask about this and although it’s not something I could say I firmly believe in, she started talking about past lives and the like. She spoke about auras and what you could tell for them and she picked out a family member of mine (by relation) and said that they’d been struggling with their health in the last couple of months. She’d never met this person and neither had I spoken about them, but she was certain.

Next time I seen this person I told them about this and they opened up to me that they’d been battling with their mental health but didn’t want to talk about it in case they were seen as weak over it. I certainly hadn’t been aware of it - they hid their struggles very well.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

This one isn't paranormal but at the time it was really weird.

Last summer I ran in a fixed time event, basically run as many laps of a fixed course as you can in a set time. This race was 12 hours and the first 11 hours was on a 5K course then switching to a 1K course for the last hour. It just so happened that this was one of the hottest days of the year and the sun was beating down all day.

By the time of my last lap of the 5K course I was severely dehydrated, had ran about 85K and had just under 6000ft of climb under my belt. In other words I was ****ed. I was just rounding a bend that led to a downhill section where I planned to pick up my pace, get back to the aid station and get some fluid and food on board before moving to the shorter course. Suddenly I was aware of someone running right on my shoulder. There were only about 40 runners in the race on a 5K course so there was no need for this and I was a bit pissed off so I slowed down to let them pass. It was then I realised I had watched myself just overtake me. I stopped and watched myself run happily off round the corner. I was properly in a panic and thought I had collapsed and died or something. I started running again, got back to the checkpoint and had it confirmed I was very much alive. About half an hour later similar happened again on the shorter course.

I done a bit digging later on and it seems such a phenomena isn't that uncommon at times of extreme fatigue and/or dehydration. There are some really interesting stories of endurance athletes experiencing some properly wild hallucinations and the like. I read about one guy in a 100 mile race who lay down in the middle of a path and insisted to anyone who would listen he was a very important guest sleeping in a suite in the Plaza Hotel. Now I know it was nothing to be particularly worried about I'd quite like to experience it again.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    This isn't remotely spiritual, but I almost always check my phone/the time on my computer/watch at the same time of day every day.

The time?

19:02.

Every time.

I don't know if its become something I do out of habit, I certainly don't do it consciously but to do the same thing at a certain time of day is feels weird. Sometimes I'm not even going to look at the time, it just appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This isn't remotely spiritual, but I almost always check my phone/the time on my computer/watch at the same time of day every day.

The time?

Every time.

I don't know if its become something I do out of habit, I certainly don't do it consciously but to do the same thing at a certain time of day is feels weird. Sometimes I'm not even going to look at the time, it just appears.

I get that a lot, and I mean a lot and I cant explain it. I can only imagine that the year has been drummed into us for years before we won the cup, thats why we must think its significant when it happens to us.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Not really paranormal as such but when I was teenager I was coming back from Fuerteventura with my parents and felt a sense that something bad was about to happen. Anyway, part way into the flight images of a plane crash came into my head and I mentioned it to my mum. I got really dirty looks from the cabin crew. Shortly after, the pilot announced we were having to divert as certain airspace had been closed.

Landed to the news that Concorde had crashed.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

The time?

Every time.

Only had that once. On the back from Hampden when we won the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I don’t get it as much or as vividly I used to but I got this a lot in my teens and twenties. Things like when I managed a Blockbuster store and had to cover another store due to illness - had never been in there before but a member of staff who Id never met before cracked a joke whilst filing the returns and I was at the front desk. Knew the punchline straight away even though it was his original joke but was aware of the exact same person in the exact same building and we were in the exact same positions.

It wasn’t uncommon for me to know what was coming up word for word in little snippets of conversation or even finding myself in new places and having an immediate familiarity with them.

I went to a friend who runs a spirituality forum to ask about this and although it’s not something I could say I firmly believe in, she started talking about past lives and the like. She spoke about auras and what you could tell for them and she picked out a family member of mine (by relation) and said that they’d been struggling with their health in the last couple of months. She’d never met this person and neither had I spoken about them, but she was certain.

Next time I seen this person I told them about this and they opened up to me that they’d been battling with their mental health but didn’t want to talk about it in case they were seen as weak over it. I certainly hadn’t been aware of it - they hid their struggles very well.

I get that kind of thing happening, fairly rarely now, but much more often when I was younger - I once even experienced deja vu thinking this feels like deja vu , like I was going through something for the 3rd (or more) time

My wife has a friend, been friendly for years. She told us something once, which I found fascinating (as I do with most supernatural things). As a child through into adult life, she'd felt a benevalent presence with her, almost like a guardian type figure, which she said never made her feel afraid, only good vibes from it. She never saw them directly, only fleeting glimpses out the corner of her eye, but felt that this was an older woman. As she got older, she became more attuned to whether the spirit was with her in that moment, and when she moved into her home with her husband, she said she could occasionally look up to one of the house windows when getting into the car, and would see a faint shape at the window, and knew the spirit had stayed in the house. Her cat would occasionally sit and stare intently at a chair that sat in the corner of their living room, the same chair that my wife's friend would also occasionally catch a glimpse of her spirit.

She is a nurse, and several years ago was working on a geriatric ward. One night shift, she was working at the nurse's station when a woman visitor walked towards her, and as she passed my friend, she stopped and turned to her, and said 'Hi, I just wanted to tell you, I know you're pregnant, and this time everything is going to be fine, you'll have a wee boy'. This was said in a friendly, compassionate way, with a smile. My friend and her husband had been trying for a baby for a long time, and had several miscarriages. She knew she was about 9 or 10 weeks, and hadn't told anyone outside of her husband that she was pregnant, in fact hadn't even told anyone about this miscarriages. As you can imagine, she was a bit shocked when the visitor said this.

The visitor saw the surprise in her face, and said 'oh don't be surprised, your companion told me. She's been with you since you were born, and she's kept an eye on you, and she's proud of you. When your son is born, she'll move to watch over him, you'll not see her any more, but not to worry as she'll be with your son'.

After her son was born, she hasn't felt her spirit's presence, not once, and hasn't ever had a glimpse of her.

I found this fascinating for both the spirit thing and that the woman in the hospital was able to tell her all of these things, and the details that simply couldn't be known

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

The time?

Every time.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for that one too.

I think it's just a case of being more aware of it compared to when I glance up and see 15:47...
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

The time?

Every time.

I had a watch like that too - turned out it needed a new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I'll throw my hat in the ring for that one too.

I think it's just a case of being more aware of it compared to when I glance up and see 15:47...
    10:04am for me

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    My only experience was having an old knackered watch lying in a drawer for years which suddenly came to life when Uri Geller (yep Uri Geller the fraud) did a TV experiment way back in the late 70s to start up everyone's knackered watches and clocks. Nobody believed me of course.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I get that kind of thing happening, fairly rarely now, but much more often when I was younger - I once even experienced deja vu thinking this feels like deja vu , like I was going through something for the 3rd (or more) time

My wife has a friend, been friendly for years. She told us something once, which I found fascinating (as I do with most supernatural things). As a child through into adult life, she'd felt a benevalent presence with her, almost like a guardian type figure, which she said never made her feel afraid, only good vibes from it. She never saw them directly, only fleeting glimpses out the corner of her eye, but felt that this was an older woman. As she got older, she became more attuned to whether the spirit was with her in that moment, and when she moved into her home with her husband, she said she could occasionally look up to one of the house windows when getting into the car, and would see a faint shape at the window, and knew the spirit had stayed in the house. Her cat would occasionally sit and stare intently at a chair that sat in the corner of their living room, the same chair that my wife's friend would also occasionally catch a glimpse of her spirit.

She is a nurse, and several years ago was working on a geriatric ward. One night shift, she was working at the nurse's station when a woman visitor walked towards her, and as she passed my friend, she stopped and turned to her, and said 'Hi, I just wanted to tell you, I know you're pregnant, and this time everything is going to be fine, you'll have a wee boy'. This was said in a friendly, compassionate way, with a smile. My friend and her husband had been trying for a baby for a long time, and had several miscarriages. She knew she was about 9 or 10 weeks, and hadn't told anyone outside of her husband that she was pregnant, in fact hadn't even told anyone about this miscarriages. As you can imagine, she was a bit shocked when the visitor said this.

The visitor saw the surprise in her face, and said 'oh don't be surprised, your companion told me. She's been with you since you were born, and she's kept an eye on you, and she's proud of you. When your son is born, she'll move to watch over him, you'll not see her any more, but not to worry as she'll be with your son'.

After her son was born, she hasn't felt her spirit's presence, not once, and hasn't ever had a glimpse of her.

I found this fascinating for both the spirit thing and that the woman in the hospital was able to tell her all of these things, and the details that simply couldn't be known

Quite astonishing stuff. Great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    10:04am for me
    3am is the eternal time for me, oddly enough it's the time for the last train to transcentral too 🤔

@hibs.net private member
    Im going to be the doubting thomas..... flickering light ? Paranormal, thought I saw someone - Paranormal, strange feeling of dread come over me - Paranormal,

...the railway carriage posts - just fantasy - nice teffort with the 666 reference (the "beast" referred with 666 to is not the made up "devil" but nice try anyway)

Just because one cant explain a situation doesnt mean spirits or other paranormal activity. Its just unexplained. At one time, we didnt know where the sun went at night.

Great reading all these experiences though, in a Scooby Doo sorta way....

Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post
    Im going to be the doubting thomas..... flickering light ? Paranormal, thought I saw someone - Paranormal, strange feeling of dread come over me - Paranormal,

...the railway carriage posts - just fantasy - nice teffort with the 666 reference (the "beast" referred with 666 to is not the made up "devil" but nice try anyway)

Just because one cant explain a situation doesnt mean spirits or other paranormal activity. Its just unexplained. At one time, we didnt know where the sun went at night.

I'm with you, even though I've experienced weird things there must be a reasonable explanation I don't know or haven't thought about

I'm an open minded skeptic on these things

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    3am is the eternal time for me, oddly enough it's the time for the last train to transcentral too 🤔

great reference there

the time I always seem to look at clocks is 12:34

Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post

Maybe that's the whole point. Supernatural and paranormal might just be natural and normal phenomena that the human brain can't comprehend. The fact that we don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm a bit freaked out by the musical references to EMF and the KLF in the context of this thread - two bands I have been heavily into at certain points in my life.

Did you know that the sample at the start of this song is Mark David Chapman reading the lyrics of John Lennon? It was removed from later copies of the "Schubert's Dip" album after Yoko Ono (who inherited the rights to Lennon's music) demanded it be removed.

Re the paranormal - I don't have much to offer here. My mum (who is generally of the more cynical sort) would swear blind she saw her grandad walking down the road in his pyjamas years after he died, not far from where he lived and died.

I had an odd experience with a ouija board when I was in first year at Uni in Dundee. I've largely tried to block it from memory, but it was very unsettling. As it turns out, we weren't far from what is known locally as "the murder house" although we didn't know that at the time. As I say, my memories are sketchy and I really don't want to go into detail as it totally freaked me out and thinking about it to this day - it still does.