hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spot on

It was fantastic, but the away match in Tripoli was even more fantastic.
    Bring on the away trips to sunshine and football
    Don’t know about the sunshine in Tripoli.

I left home at midday on the Wednesday and it took a bus, a train, another bus, a plane, another plane, another train and finally another bus down from Athens to get there. The moment we arrived in Tripoli it started absolutely pishing down!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    Spot on

It was fantastic, but the away match in Tripoli was even more fantastic.
    Bring on the away trips to sunshine and football
    And Brondby was even better.

The competition is in no way diddy, it’s set up for clubs our size to give us the European football we deserve. There are clubs who are far bigger historically - bigger than plenty teams who participate in the football tourist, tele pandering champions league will ever be - competing in leagues from all over the continent (even from the so-called big 5) who merit European football on a regular basis that don’t purely due to not having the financial muscle of their domestic competitors. I’m all for this.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

First Team Breakthrough Max_Shah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

The competition is in no way diddy, it’s set up for clubs our size to give us the European football we deserve. There are clubs who are far bigger historically - bigger than plenty teams who participate in the football tourist, tele pandering champions league will ever be - competing in leagues from all over the continent (even from the so-called big 5) who merit European football on a regular basis that don’t purely due to not having the financial muscle of their domestic competitors. I’m all for this.
    Cracking post mate, well said, I totally agree with every word.

I wish there was some kind of reward or internet sticker system built into the forum software as this is one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Like the sound of that.

Let's be honest without considerable investment and a series of lucky draws its unlikely we'll reach the Europa League group stage.

It would be good for the club and add something abit different. Great away trips for the fans potentially too.

Not sure why anyone would be against it.
    It's a shame because as things were Scotland were close to getting an automatic place in the Europa League group stage. But not to be. Shame to miss the huge ties but at least someone will get game in a competition we'll be a bit more competitive in.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

The cynic in me would say the whole new set up is made to guarantee the big team stays in Europe for longer and to make the Europa League more elite.

We'll see I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    So is this for all the Shan teams?

Yep, like Hibs.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    I don't know why they don't just call it the UEFA Cup. I has a ring to it...

First Team Regular ChrissyG1875's Avatar
    I'm absolutely buzzing for it. I'm of the generation where European football means a couple of qualifiers so I'm just desperate to be able to have some good away trips and hopefully have a decent run in it.

Think this could be perfect for hibs and aberdeen to be honest, obviously the ultimate aim has to be the europa league groups but being used to regularly playing European football can only help that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would be great, a few trips to European cities every year. All for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrissyG1875 View Post
    I'm absolutely buzzing for it. I'm of the generation where European football means a couple of qualifiers so I'm just desperate to be able to have some good away trips and hopefully have a decent run in it.

Think this could be perfect for hibs and aberdeen to be honest, obviously the ultimate aim has to be the europa league groups but being used to regularly playing European football can only help that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Yeah, not sure what impact getting to the new competitions groups would have but id imagine only positive on the clubs coefficient, which would help us if we got into the Europa league qualifiers.

Finishing third is huge this year as we’d (providing rangers or Celtic win the cup) go into the third qualifying round of the Europa League, even if we lost that we’d go into the playoff round for the conference league. We’d only have to win one of our two ties to get group stage football.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Yeah, not sure what impact getting to the new competitions groups would have but id imagine only positive on the clubs coefficient, which would help us if we got into the Europa league qualifiers.

Finishing third is huge this year as we’d (providing rangers or Celtic win the cup) go into the third qualifying round of the Europa League, even if we lost that we’d go into the playoff round for the conference league. We’d only have to win one of our two ties to get group stage football.
    It's better than that. Because there will be no reigning champion of the conference, Scotland will actually go into the playoff for the EL, so even losing the game parachutes straight into the conference

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    It's better than that. Because there will be no reigning champion of the conference, Scotland will actually go into the playoff for the EL, so even losing the game parachutes straight into the conference
    I had read that (possibly on here) but when checking the SFA news bulletin about European places for next season it says the cup winner enters the third qualifying round? Would be outstanding if that isn’t the case, one game away from the Europa league groups and guaranteed at worst the Conference league groups.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Party in Tirana it is.
    😁

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Would be great, a few trips to European cities every year. All for this.
    That’s pretty much all I care about when it comes to Europe.

This tournament gives us a much better chance of going somewhere like Seville, Barcelona, Palermo, Rome, Nice, Monaco etc with Hibs where as Europa League were much more likely to go to a far flung city in Eastern Europe or Scandinavia etc.

This tournament can only be a good thing from a fans perspective, whether it’s any good financially etc is for the club to worry about.

@hibs.net private member
    I had read that (possibly on here) but when checking the SFA news bulletin about European places for next season it says the cup winner enters the third qualifying round? Would be outstanding if that isn’t the case, one game away from the Europa league groups and guaranteed at worst the Conference league groups.
    Even if we have to play qualifying games to get to group stages I think we’d still have a great chance to qualify. are the group stages home and away- anyone know plus how big are groups? 3 qualifying rounds plus between 4 to 8 group matches gives you between 5 and 7 home games. Very good gate money and tv income .... bring it on

It won’t be confirmed until the end of the season because depending on the Europa League and Champions League winners there might be some movement in the access list elsewhere but there is a spot in the Europa League groups reserved for the Conference League winner and obviously there isn’t one this season so our 3rd place spot will definitely move up into the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    It won’t be confirmed until the end of the season because depending on the Europa League and Champions League winners there might be some movement in the access list elsewhere but there is a spot in the Europa League groups reserved for the Conference League winner and obviously there isn’t one this season so our 3rd place spot will definitely move up into the playoffs
    Exactly, just to be clear, for any doubters, there is an agreed system in place, which means the SC winners will get into the playoff round of the EL, which means at worst getting the groups of the conference league. However I fear over the season, aberdeen will have too much for us for third, so just need to make sure we win the cup

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Even if we have to play qualifying games to get to group stages I think we’d still have a great chance to qualify. are the group stages home and away- anyone know plus how big are groups? 3 qualifying rounds plus between 4 to 8 group matches gives you between 5 and 7 home games. Very good gate money and tv income .... bring it on
    Groups are home and away. Groups of 4. 6 games played.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Exactly, just to be clear, for any doubters, there is an agreed system in place, which means the SC winners will get into the playoff round of the EL, which means at worst getting the groups of the conference league. However I fear over the season, aberdeen will have too much for us for third, so just need to make sure we win the cup
    The dons are looking vulnerable just now. Yes they have injuries but so have we and are getting results. Knocked out the cup by St Mirren and drawing away to the bottom two clubs isn’t third place form.