hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im sure Dempster appointed a head of comms who had no experience or qualifications for the role too, if memory serves. Might even have been the current one (who is qualified and i think is doing a good job) brother?
    I can't say I followed your train of thought here but are you saying that Dempster employed a second person into a very senior position
    who had no qualifications or experience.🤔🤔
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 05-12-2020 at 06:57 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    I can't say I followed your train of thought here but are you saying that Dempster employed a second person into a very senior position
    who had no qualifications or experience.🤔🤔
    Sorry, i didnt word that very well!

I think the last but one head of communications had no background in communications (i remember thinking this was an odd move at the time).He then moved to another role in the club, and was replaced by his brother (former journalist and SFA comms person) who is the current person in the job.

Obviously we dont know the circumstances of this or Laura Montgomery's appointments, and it may have been they were doing the club a turn by helping out while a more permanent person was identified, or that Dempster just wanted to make appointments quickly of people she knew and trusted.
    Last edited by James Stephen; 05-12-2020 at 07:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    These points may all be true ..but it feels there’s quite a few who want to hold this person guilty of crimes against out club, on the mere rumours and suggestions of improper behaviour on here.

There’s every chance that she worked very hard to do well in her role and it just didn’t work out ..It seems the relationship with Glasgow City has cast her as a “baddie” .

Seems well out of proportion to me
    Sure there are some who just dont like that she was constantly banging on about City when working for us. It certainly grated with me but I guess could be badged as "outside of work interests"

But there are also people who have posted - info that is identical to that I have had from a Hibs sponsor - which suggests that she was also asking businesses for City sponsorship while doing that very role for Hibs - that to me is totally unacceptable.

The detail has been circulating privately for some time, I guess that her departure has just precipitated some of these stories onto here.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    There is some talk on here that she used contacts made through Hibs to try and source funding for Glasgow City. One even claiming that an existing Hibs sponsor was called into the club to meet her only to find himself presented with a pitch for Glasgow City.

One poster suggested that there wasn't a conflict between her role at Hibs and her role at Glasgow City because the two clubs aren't in competition, I beg to differ. It wouldn't matter if Glasgow City made Jam or Biscuits rather than played football, it's at the very least unethical to:

A) Try and divert a possible sponsor looking to put money into your employers business into putting that money into another business you are involved in.

B) To use the facilities, commercial infrastructure and contacts of the business that employs you, even if you have facilitated those contacts on behalf of the business initially, to carry out work for another business if it is in any way detrimental to the one that employs you. If there is any substance to that it would be a sacking offence on the spot at practically any business you can think of.

When I worked for the Civil Service the rules were incredibly strict against using contacts you had made in your capacity as a government employee to promote or drum up trade for any outside business. For different reasons commercial business applies rules that are just as strict, even to the point that you can end up in court if you aren't careful.

It seems to me that Laura Montgomery had a massive conflict of interest that impacted on her work for the club and it's as well for Hibs and her that she is no longer involved with us. I don't know what the rules are in America, but I'll bet a pound to a penny Ron Gordon would have no truck with such goings on. From my point of view as a fan who sinks a considerable amount of money ( for me ) into Hibs every year I do not want to see the money I give used to employ someone who isn't 100% committed to the job they are paid to do for the club.

On or off the pitch.
    Maybe it’s just me but large swathes of this thread seem on extremely shaky ground. I’ve just picked on this post as it’s the latest one presenting speculation as 100% fact.

If I was Montgomery and there’s even the slightest falsehood about all the fishwives gossip, I’m not sure I’d be letting it lie tbh.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Maybe it’s just me but large swathes of this thread seem on extremely shaky ground. I’ve just picked on this post as it’s the latest one presenting speculation as 100% fact.

If I was Montgomery and there’s even the slightest falsehood about all the fishwives gossip, I’m not sure I’d be letting it lie tbh.
    So we’re allowed to speculate on every Tom, Dick and Harry in Scottish football but when it comes to someone who worked for Hibs we’ve got to be worried about litigation or whatever it is that you’re suggesting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What’s she gonna do like?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    So we’re allowed to speculate on every Tom, Dick and Harry in Scottish football but when it comes to someone who worked for Hibs we’ve got to be worried about litigation or whatever it is that you’re suggesting?
    Depends on what you’re speculating on, I suppose.

I heard that she had a photo of Craig Levein in her office and once kicked a kitten.

She'd have to prove the claim is false. And she'd probably be taking about 30 folk to court. I think we'll be okay. It's not something to worry about. There has been more than a couple of suggestions that she wasn't 100% commited to Hibs.

Personally I have no real idea but at best it's a strange situation and I don't think there is too much wrong in the posts discussing it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    She'd have to prove the claim is false. And she'd probably be taking about 30 folk to court. I think we'll be okay. It's not something to worry about. There has been more than a couple of suggestions that she wasn't 100% commited to Hibs.

Personally I have no real idea but at best it's a strange situation and I don't think there is too much wrong in the posts discussing it.
    Except people who don't know her and know basically nothing about what exactly she did at Hibs (like myself) will get the impression that she was basically a wage thief (worse even) who was 100% ineffective.

Maybe that doesn't bother some folk, but it doesn't sit well with me at all.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Except people who don't know her and know basically nothing about what exactly she did at Hibs (like myself) will get the impression that she was basically a wage thief (worse even) who was 100% ineffective.

It’s the modern way - spout off about something which you don’t have the full facts about and present it as truth.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What I would say is that I found the constant Glasgow City love in completely disrespectful to her then current employers and am happy she is no longer employed by the club.

I have no knowledge of whether she did or didn't do some of the things she has been accused of, and should therefore make no comment on those aspects.

What I do know though is that she failed to deliver shirt sponsorship 2 years in a row and that some of the deals she did get over the line IMO cheapened the club's commercial appeal for what I would expect were marginal gains.

Having spent 30 odd years in Sales it is a cut throat environment where you are only as good as your last figures.

IMO these were never acceptable from start to finish and she needed replaced, it is to the club's credit that they retained her as long as they did given her circumstances and have allowed her to paint her leaving in the manner she has, when they could easily have publicly dismissed her

We move on and I hope she is allowed to as well, she is a woman clearly broken by her personal circumstances and I wish her every success and happiness going forward, it won't be easy, I fear as like Hibs Ladies, I expect Glasgow City to be consigned to also ran status by the Old Firm, as long as they don't get bored with women's football soon.

I hope she doesn't take the fallow years which are certain to follow personally.

I mean, even the facts we do know, like no main sponsor for 2 years, tell me she wasn't exactly doing a brilliant job.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Tbf, the only person using those terms are you. If you didn’t know anything about her ( like me) and you read the thread then you will be better informed.

I now know she was a founder of Glasgow City. A law graduate with no sales background who was appointed to a senior position in the Hibs sales and marketing operation and who seemingly didn’t do a good job at it.

People are posting their views and experiences of someone who worked at Hibs. Good or bad, that’s always going to happen. Of course it leads to conjecture, like I’m seeing that Dempster and Montgomery going indicate a shift in the power dynamic at the club. Gordon wants the club run his way and marketed successfully. By all accounts Montgomery hasn’t done that. I trust someone with the requisite background will do a better job.

I did say there was 'talk on here' which is hardly presenting it as a fact. I also said 'if there is any substance to that' a phrase which obviously implies an element of doubt.

But, there does seem to be reasonable grounds to at least speculate on how she carried out her job for Hibs and to express an opinion on the impact if she had indeed allowed her connections with Glasgow City to intrude on the job she was being paid to do. Someone had speculated on her qualifications for the job, so being a nosy bugger I had a look at her 'Linkdin' page. She is clearly highly experienced in business and, academically at least, highly intelligent.

Someone suggested jealousy at Glasgow City's success being a motivating factor for this thread. From my point of view I have nothing but admiration for their achievements as a club with no connections to any large professional team, they are a credit to the women's game and the folk who founded and run them, including Laura Montgomery. Unfortunately their glory days, just like Hibs Ladies, could well end up in the rear view mirror as the Bigot Brothers now appear to be getting serious about the women's game.

As for our right to speculate about employees of the club. We are not talking about somebody who works somewhere we go shopping, many of us are shareholders in the business being discussed here, many of us have paid hundreds of pounds up front for a product we knew we couldn't use through loyalty and sentiment, many of us give free money that business every month. Thousand's of us still pay to watch when the product on offer would turn you away from any normal business.

If anybody has a right to discuss a subject like this it's us, we expect the loyalty we show the club to be at least reciprocated by the people our money goes towards paying to work for it.

That's one of the reasons Colin Calderwood remains one of the most reviled managers Hibs have had, not simply because of his shaky record but because of the utter disrespect he showed it when his sole focus, at least in public, should have been on the job he was being paid to do.

Looks like a number of roles handed out, like an old pals act.

Glad she is away.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I did say there was 'talk on here' which is hardly presenting it as a fact. I also said 'if there is any substance to that' a phrase which obviously implies an element of doubt.

But, there does seem to be reasonable grounds to at least speculate on how she carried out her job for Hibs and to express an opinion on the impact if she had indeed allowed her connections with Glasgow City to intrude on the job she was being paid to do. Someone had speculated on her qualifications for the job, so being a nosy bugger I had a look at her 'Linkdin' page. She is clearly highly experienced in business and, academically at least, highly intelligent.

Someone suggested jealousy at Glasgow City's success being a motivating factor for this thread. From my point of view I have nothing but admiration for their achievements as a club with no connections to any large professional team, they are a credit to the women's game and the folk who founded and run them, including Laura Montgomery. Unfortunately their glory days, just like Hibs Ladies, could well end up in the rear view mirror as the Bigot Brothers now appear to be getting serious about the women's game.

As for our right to speculate about employees of the club. We are not talking about somebody who works somewhere we go shopping, many of us are shareholders in the business being discussed here, many of us have paid hundreds of pounds up front for a product we knew we couldn't use through loyalty and sentiment, many of us give free money that business every month. Thousand's of us still pay to watch when the product on offer would turn you away from any normal business.

If anybody has a right to discuss a subject like this it's us, we expect the loyalty we show the club to be at least reciprocated by the people our money goes towards paying to work for it.

That's one of the reasons Colin Calderwood remains one of the most reviled managers Hibs have had, not simply because of his shaky record but because of the utter disrespect he showed it when his sole focus, at least in public, should have been on the job he was being paid to do.
    Good post.

In regards to your last paragraph, what’s the story with Calderwood?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Good post.

Bag of sweets.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Good post.

Quite simply there was speculation around him going to another club as assistant manager while Hibs manager and instead of the correct and stock answer of 'I'm here to talk about Hibs' or I'm just concentrating on my job here' he made some crass reference to 'a bag of sweeties' basically tipping the wink that he wanted to leave. Leaving folk to wonder why he applied for the job in the first place when he saw his role as an assistant manager and why he thought it was a good idea to disrespect the club and it's fans by leaving nobody in any doubt that his heart wasn't in it.

Quite simply there was speculation around him going to another club as assistant manager while Hibs manager and instead of the correct and stock answer of 'I'm here to talk about Hibs' or I'm just concentrating on my job here' he made some crass reference to 'a bag of sweeties' basically tipping the wink that he wanted to leave. Leaving folk to wonder why he applied for the job in the first place when he saw his role as an assistant manager and why he thought it was a good idea to disrespect the club and it's fans by leaving nobody in any doubt that his heart wasn't in it.
    I don't think Calderwood ever applied for the Hibs job.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't think Calderwood ever applied for the Hibs job.
    Don't understand, surely we never head hunted him?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Don't understand, surely we never head hunted him?
    I believe so. Might be wrong but I think we went after him.

Coaching Staff
    QUOTE=MWHIBBIES;6372739]I don't think Calderwood ever applied for the Hibs job.[/QUOTE]
    He certainly didn't look in his proverbial sweety bag before accepting it.