hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is that we are all Hibs fans, and some of us think that the task of revenue generation for our club has been poorly executed for some time and we appeared not to capitalise on the cup win.................I am being kind with some of these words.

If it were isolated rumours I would discount them, but a few people have posted detail which is identical to what I was told by one of our sponsors and who I have known for 30+ years.

That detail doesnt paint those responsible for securing commercial and sponsorship money for Hibs in a good or professional light.

I feel very sorry for LM personal circumstances, it is perhaps good to draw a line under it now, and move on.
    I'm not saying that she doesn't have failings - I honestly don't know, and I'm not suggesting that anyone here is making up stories about her.

But she's being accused of everything ranging from incompetence to dishonesty and these things have a habit of sticking.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    For most things yes, for something as fundamental and such a high revenue driver as the clubs main sponsor then that's stops with the CEO imo.

Very true, but Laura has her share of responsibility here, no doubt.

Also, people saying that there is no conflict of interest because Hibernian Women are supported by the Community Foundation... well, our shirt 'sponsor' last year WAS the Foundation, so clearly there is a very direct link between sponsorship and the women's team.

As I have said above, I do not know anything the quality of her work for Hibs, but it is entirely legitimate to scrutinise what appeared to be a very obvious conflict of interest. Those trying to shut this down sound like those Jambos who seem to think any questioning of the way their club is run is out of order.

The fact that she appears to refer to us merely as 'her previous day job' and is expressing joy at now being able to devote herself to Glasgow City full time makes me think that we should never have appointed her in the first place.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Very true, but Laura has her share of responsibility here, no doubt.

Also, people saying that there is no conflict of interest because Hibernian Women are supported by the Community Foundation... well, our shirt 'sponsor' last year WAS the Foundation, so clearly there is a very direct link between sponsorship and the women's team.

As I have said above, I do not know anything the quality of her work for Hibs, but it is entirely legitimate to scrutinise what appeared to be a very obvious conflict of interest. Those trying to shut this down sound like those Jambos who seem to think any questioning of the way their club is run is out of order.

The fact that she appears to refer to us merely as 'her previous day job' and is expressing joy at now being able to devote herself to Glasgow City full time makes me think that we should never have appointed her in the first place.
    Although on the face of it, I'd agree it looks like there were potentially issues with her in the role, I'm not sure I agree with your closing remark. I consider my job my "day job" but I'd be delighted if I got a job doing essentially what is my passion/hobby. You don't have to love your employer so long as you are doing your job professionally.

A very strange appointment by Dempster from day 1 and it is utterly no surprise that they are both leaving at exactly the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Although on the face of it, I'd agree it looks like there were potentially issues with her in the role, I'm not sure I agree with your closing remark. I consider my job my "day job" but I'd be delighted if I got a job doing essentially what is my passion/hobby. You don't have to love your employer so long as you are doing your job professionally.
    Exactly the same as almost every footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post

If your passion/hobby is a direct conflict of interest with your day job, your employer has a right to be concerned about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    If not can we stop with the lynch mob stuff?
    I don’t think it’s entirely fair to say there’s a lynch mob, more that there are entirely legitimate worries being raised about a high profile (now former) employee of the club.

I don’t believe that’s entirely her fault - IMO appointing someone whose professional background AFAIK was not one of commercial sponsorship or marketing was always going to be a gamble and on the face of it it doesn’t appear to have worked out as well as had been hoped. However, I’m sure there were many positives she brought in as well, and I wish her all the best for the future at Glasgow City, which has always understandably her passion outside her day job.

We’ll move on now, and hopefully we can bring in someone with a strong track record in similar roles that can really drive the income for the club on that front. Whether they’re a Hibs supporter in not is immaterial to me, as long as they are successful.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    For anyone who knows about her, what was her actual qualification to come to Hibs and become head of sales and sponsorship? Did she have a proven track record at this elsewhere? You would like to think that Hibs only employ people with proven expertise in the role they are recruited for, just like we would for any footballer we sign. Can anyone point to her successes in the role at Hibs?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Not a chance that she would be the sole responsible person for our main sponsorship. That would most often have been secured by Petrie in the past and Dempster in recent years...unfair to suggest the lack of sponsor was her doing alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't want to sound like I am being rude, but do you really think that Petrie and Dempster sought out sponsorship? There is a sales team that are in that role which Laura headed up and totally failed on. They will sell short sponsorship to fans (I've done this in the past) and things like the ones around the pitch. The amount of times I saw adverts for murder mystery nights was ridiculous, even the club slates them on Twitter - they're obviously not liked. I suspect if she wasn't friends with Dempster she would have been long gone.

I think it was a guy called Greg in that position before and he was very good I think that era was better in terms of Hibs TV content, articles online and advertising. Contrast that to the last 18 months and it has been poor and we are without a major sponsor which is harming the club.

If Petrie and Dempster were solely responsible for negotiating our sponsorship deals then I will eat my hat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Hibee View Post
    I don't want to sound like I am being rude, but do you really think that Petrie and Dempster sought out sponsorship? There is a sales team that are in that role which Laura headed up and totally failed on. They will sell short sponsorship to fans (I've done this in the past) and things like the ones around the pitch. The amount of times I saw adverts for murder mystery nights was ridiculous, even the club slates them on Twitter - they're obviously not liked. I suspect if she wasn't friends with Dempster she would have been long gone.

I think it was a guy called Greg in that position before and he was very good I think that era was better in terms of Hibs TV content, articles online and advertising. Contrast that to the last 18 months and it has been poor and we are without a major sponsor which is harming the club.

If Petrie and Dempster were solely responsible for negotiating our sponsorship deals then I will eat my hat!

It's not an either/or situation.

The sales team will generate leads and fulfil sponsorship commitments from the club side. But of course any major investor or partner will want to seal the deal with the most senior person. Shirt sponsorship probably relies on connections made by the CEO / Chairman. Shared responsibility.

Just look at the SPFL - Neil Doncaster is (rightly) held accountable for failing to secure sponsors, even though there will be others within the organisation working on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It's not an either/or situation.

The sales team will generate leads and fulfil sponsorship commitments from the club side. But of course any major investor or partner will want to seal the deal with the most senior person. Shirt sponsorship probably relies on connections made by the CEO / Chairman. Shared responsibility.

Just look at the SPFL - Neil Doncaster is (rightly) held accountable for failing to secure sponsors, even though there will be others within the organisation working on the details.
    Who takes blame when the sales team fail to generate leads

Ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Just noticed that Waterman’s Legal also sponsor Glasgow City Women’s Football Club

They do have a Branch in Glasgow
    Yes.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    Who takes blame when the sales team fail to generate leads

Ggtth

taking the blame, isn't necessarily the same as "who is to blame"....

The reality is, creating the sponsorship conversations is definitely one of the commercial lead role. In practice, the main sponsorship deals in Hibs have been fronted and concluded by Petrie or Dempster in recent years..

Probably a bit off topic but I’m more excited by who Ron Gordon brings in to replace the outgoing members. LD was good and probably what we needed when we she started but all of these roles have a shelf life and hers is imo coming to an end with us, as for LM I’m confident Ron will replace with better.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchard_Hibs View Post
    Probably a bit off topic but I’m more excited by who Ron Gordon brings in to replace the outgoing members. LD was good and probably what we needed when we she started but all of these roles have a shelf life and hers is imo coming to an end with us, as for LM I’m confident Ron will replace with better.
    I’m also excited. We need a tough talking go getter who knows that to make an omelette you gotta smash a few eggs goddammit! Although someone who can sort out a decent sponsor, the turnstiles and the catering would be a start. Ps it’s a metaphoric omelette, I think we should still have pies n that for the catering.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    I’m also excited. We need a tough talking go getter who knows that to make an omelette you gotta smash a few eggs goddammit! Although someone who can sort out a decent sponsor, the turnstiles and the catering would be a start. Ps it’s a metaphoric omelette, I think we should still have pies n that for the catering.
    Chips in the West Upper pretty please

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Chips in the West Upper pretty please
    Personally there isn’t enough lobster rolls kicking about, always sold out.

Strange situation. Probably for the best she is gone. Vital role in clubs these days and needs someone doing everything they can for us.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    When our previous commercial guy left, his ‘no 2’ if you like was meant to step up.

He had a great relationship with Marathon Bet etc and fully expected to get promoted.

When Laura got appointed in his place he left to go to Newcastle or Sunderland, can’t remember which.

Story I heard is that she gave MB a take it or leave it offer and they walked away.

Whatever, failing to secure a sponsor is clearly a failure so best that we get someone else in.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    For anyone who knows about her, what was her actual qualification to come to Hibs and become head of sales and sponsorship? Did she have a proven track record at this elsewhere? You would like to think that Hibs only employ people with proven expertise in the role they are recruited for, just like we would for any footballer we sign. Can anyone point to her successes in the role at Hibs?
    Im sure Dempster appointed a head of comms who had no experience or qualifications for the role too, if memory serves. Might even have been the current one (who is qualified and i think is doing a good job) brother?
    Last edited by James Stephen; 04-12-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    When our previous commercial guy left, his ‘no 2’ if you like was meant to step up.

He had a great relationship with Marathon Bet etc and fully expected to get promoted.

When Laura got appointed in his place he left to go to Newcastle or Sunderland, can’t remember which.

Story I heard is that she gave MB a take it or leave it offer and they walked away.

Whatever, failing to secure a sponsor is clearly a failure so best that we get someone else in.
    It was Newcastle

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    Im sure Dempster appointed a head of comms who had no experience or qualifications for the role too, if memory serves. Might even have been the current one (who is qualified and i think is doing a good job) brother?
    Our current communication offering is mince. I am sure the current head of comms is well intentioned, but probably another in the field of being hired because of a relationship at the club (as per your comment) instead of on merit. Certainly in the past two years the quality of content has deteriorated to red top style content. The programme this year is tripe too, I've stopped looking out for it. I think the club needs a complete overhaul internally.

The only area we are performing well in is design, I like the colour schemes used and think they match our club well as they definitely remind me of bygone days when I could attend games, makes me miss being in Scotland. That's my very uninformed input on it

Whatever her actual responsibilities were she certainly shouldn't have been pointing potential sponsors in the direction of Glasgow City while she was working for Hibs. In most organisations that would surely, at the least, be subject to disciplinary. But I didn't know what her responsibilities were and I would be surprised if many other people on here did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Hibee View Post
    Our current communication offering is mince. I am sure the current head of comms is well intentioned, but probably another in the field of being hired because of a relationship at the club (as per your comment) instead of on merit. Certainly in the past two years the quality of content has deteriorated to red top style content. The programme this year is tripe too, I've stopped looking out for it. I think the club needs a complete overhaul internally.
    The
    The only area we are performing well in is design, I like the colour schemes used and think they match our club well as they definitely remind me of bygone days when I could attend games, makes me miss being in Scotland. That's my very uninformed input on it

Absolutely nailed it.

With your last sentence.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Absolutely nailed it.

With your last sentence.
    As an international fan I am allowed my comment on my main way of keeping connected to the club, son. My uninformed opinion was about design as I know nothing about it, but I do know about quality writing and I just haven't seen it. So you have anything constructive to say or are you just going to be a whiney wee boy about it?

Left by mutual consent!
    Wow. This has made my weekend.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

There is some talk on here that she used contacts made through Hibs to try and source funding for Glasgow City. One even claiming that an existing Hibs sponsor was called into the club to meet her only to find himself presented with a pitch for Glasgow City.

One poster suggested that there wasn't a conflict between her role at Hibs and her role at Glasgow City because the two clubs aren't in competition, I beg to differ. It wouldn't matter if Glasgow City made Jam or Biscuits rather than played football, it's at the very least unethical to:

A) Try and divert a possible sponsor looking to put money into your employers business into putting that money into another business you are involved in.

B) To use the facilities, commercial infrastructure and contacts of the business that employs you, even if you have facilitated those contacts on behalf of the business initially, to carry out work for another business if it is in any way detrimental to the one that employs you. If there is any substance to that it would be a sacking offence on the spot at practically any business you can think of.

When I worked for the Civil Service the rules were incredibly strict against using contacts you had made in your capacity as a government employee to promote or drum up trade for any outside business. For different reasons commercial business applies rules that are just as strict, even to the point that you can end up in court if you aren't careful.

It seems to me that Laura Montgomery had a massive conflict of interest that impacted on her work for the club and it's as well for Hibs and her that she is no longer involved with us. I don't know what the rules are in America, but I'll bet a pound to a penny Ron Gordon would have no truck with such goings on. From my point of view as a fan who sinks a considerable amount of money ( for me ) into Hibs every year I do not want to see the money I give used to employ someone who isn't 100% committed to the job they are paid to do for the club.

On or off the pitch.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 05-12-2020 at 12:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    There is some talk on here that she used contacts made through Hibs to try and source funding for Glasgow City. One even claiming that an existing Hibs sponsor was called into the club to meet her only to find himself presented with a pitch for Glasgow City.

One poster suggested that there wasn't a conflict between her role at Hibs and her role at Glasgow City because the two clubs aren't in competition, I beg to differ. It wouldn't matter if Glasgow City made Jam or Biscuits rather than played football, it's at the very least unethical to:

A) Try and divert a possible sponsor looking to put money into your employers business into putting that money into another business you are involved in.

B) To use the facilities, commercial infrastructure and contacts of the business that employs you, even if you have facilitated those contacts on behalf of the business initially, to carry out work for another business if it is in any way detrimental to the one that employs you. If there is any substance to that it would be a sacking offence on the spot at practically any business you can think of.

When I worked for the Civil Service the rules were incredibly strict against using contacts you had made in your capacity as a government employee to promote or drum up trade for any outside business. For different reasons commercial business applies rules that are just as strict, even to the point that you can end up in court if you aren't careful.

It seems to me that Laura Montgomery had a massive conflict of interest that impacted on her work for the club and it's as well for Hibs and her that she is no longer involved with us. I don't know what the rules are in America, but I'll bet a pound to a penny Ron Gordon would have no truck with such goings on. From my point of view as a fan who sinks a considerable amount of money ( for me ) into Hibs every year I do not want to see the money I give used to employ someone who isn't 100% committed to the job they are paid to do for the club.

On or off the pitch.

Testimonial Due

On or off the pitch.
    Rules for this very struct for US corporations. Not allowed to do any in your own time that conflicts with the interest if your employer. Would have been a sacking offence if she had worked for a US company. Unless of course you are a member of the Trump family.

@hibs.net private member

On or off the pitch.
    These points may all be true ..but it feels there’s quite a few who want to hold this person guilty of crimes against out club, on the mere rumours and suggestions of improper behaviour on here.

There’s every chance that she worked very hard to do well in her role and it just didn’t work out ..It seems the relationship with Glasgow City has cast her as a “baddie” .

Seems well out of proportion to me