hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Laura Montgomery appointed CEO of Glasgow City

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55145133

Good luck to her. Still no idea why we employed her when she was so involved with a competitor though.

@hibs.net private member
    Sounds like she has ben their CEO for a long time anyway, albeit being paid by Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like she has ben their CEO for a long time anyway, albeit being paid by Hibs.
    Not a bad job tbh.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Good luck to her. Still no idea why we employed her when she was so involved with a competitor though.
    Does seem odd, I didn't realise she was running Glasgow City and working for us simultaneously, Her heart was obviously more in the Glasgow City job. Hopefully this means we can get someone in whose sole focus will be on improving our income to support the playing side with funds.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Does seem odd, I didn't realise she was running Glasgow City and working for us simultaneously, Her heart was obviously more in the Glasgow City job. Hopefully this means we can get someone in whose sole focus will be on improving our income to support the playing side with funds.
    Laura was out her depth at Hibs and only reason she was in a job was down to her social circles. was eventually moved roles to head of sales with little responsibility.

Had several conversations with her regarding offering sponsorship to the club which got nowhere.
    Had some lengthy conversations upon which I’ve left bewildered at the answers given - totally unacceptable.

One current sponsor was invited to a meeting by Laura, he was excited to see what he was going to be offered as has spent £ks per season on the club in sponsorship - to his dismay he was asked if he would be interested in replicating the sponsorship in Glasgow City. No mention of Hibs.

Glad to note the new team which includes Greg McEwan and Murray Milligan have been excellent. Some of the news companies sponsoring the club is great to see. Bringing in extra revenue where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Laura was out her depth at Hibs and only reason she was in a job was down to her social circles. was eventually moved roles to head of sales with little responsibility.

Had several conversations with her regarding offering sponsorship to the club which got nowhere.
    Had some lengthy conversations upon which I’ve left bewildered at the answers given - totally unacceptable.

One current sponsor was invited to a meeting by Laura, he was excited to see what he was going to be offered as has spent £ks per season on the club in sponsorship - to his dismay he was asked if he would be interested in replicating the sponsorship in Glasgow City. No mention of Hibs.

Glad to note the new team which includes Greg McEwan and Murray Milligan have been excellent. Some of the news companies sponsoring the club is great to see. Bringing in extra revenue where possible.
    I’ve worked with Murray in the past and Hibs are onto a winner with that appointment. Extremely driven and ambitious up and coming commercial man. Fingers crossed for good times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post

Matches what I heard too.

Concerning that she was ever in the position, and doesn't paint Dempster in too good a light either if it was her who gave her the job.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    "I cannot wait to be able to solely focus on our great club on a daily basis."

Not something I imagine she ever uttered while employed by us.

Even allowing for Lauras tragic personal circumstances, its not one of Dempsters best appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

100%. She was also involved when our women’s team where at there strongest. She was in charge or sponsorship at our club yet our ladies got nothing. - Glasgow City on the other hand seem to keep popping up with Hibs related businesses (either fans of Hibs with a business or getting contacts of large companies she met through her workplace) - surely any sign of someone willing to invest money into women’s football her role should have been to direct to HLFC or who ever was/is in charge.

A friend's company contacted her with regards a sponsorship initiative (twice) and didn't even receive a reply/acknowledgement.

Not quite sure what it was she brought to the table, it didn't seem to be much.

Did she have any relevant qualifications or experience for her role at Hibs?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconhoof View Post
    Did she have any relevant qualifications or experience for her role at Hibs?
    Her experience at Glasgow City?

On the face of it, this does seem like an odd situation. Not one of Leeann’s better appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    A friend's company contacted her with regards a sponsorship initiative (twice) and didn't even receive a reply/acknowledgement.

Not quite sure what it was she brought to the table, it didn't seem to be much.

That is truly shameful, glad the changes are being made.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’ve not heard of Laura Montgomerie before reading this thread. The article says she was head of sales and sponsorship and no idea if she was any good or not, but the failure to secure a shirt sponsor post Marathon Bet isn’t really a great testimonial.

I read a few articles about her personal situation, I think she may have written a couple of blogs herself. It was clear that she was beside herself with grief and it would have been impossible for any human being not to feel heart sorry for her.

Unfortunately that might have masked a situation that was growing increasingly unsatisfactory at Hibs re her performance in role, conflict of interests etc and having read the articles it feels horrifically callous to say something like that.

All that should really be said is that this will undoubtedly be the best solution for everyone to move forward in their own best interests. Laura will be able to devote her full attention to the club that is her main love. I believe that she is someone who has made a massive contribution to the women's game in this country and I expect her to be able to continue to do so happily.

Hibs will be able to appoint someone who will be able to give the role at Hibs the attentions it deserves. Nobody at Hibs will have to feel any awkwardness about how such a situation might have been allowed to develop any more.

We move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I read a few articles about her personal situation, I think she may have written a couple of blogs herself. It was clear that she was beside herself with grief and it would have been impossible for any human being not to feel heart sorry for her.

Unfortunately that might have masked a situation that was growing increasingly unsatisfactory at Hibs re her performance in role, conflict of interests etc and having read the articles it feels horrifically callous to say something like that.

All that should really be said is that this will undoubtedly be the best solution for everyone to move forward in their own best interests. Laura will be able to devote her full attention to the club that is her main love. I believe that she is someone who has made a massive contribution to the women's game in this country and I expect her to be able to continue to do so happily.

Hibs will be able to appoint someone who will be able to give the role at Hibs the attentions it deserves. Nobody at Hibs will have to feel any awkwardness about how such a situation might have been allowed to develop any more.

We move on.

Are you suggesting or even stating that I am being "horrifically callous" in pointing out the conflict of interest ,which was clear and should have been to our CEO, long before her sad loss.

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Are you suggesting or even stating that I am being "horrifically callous" in pointing out the conflict of interest ,which was clear and should have been to our CEO, long before her sad loss.
    Nope.

I was pointing out that I'd had similar thoughts and when I learned a bit more about her personal situation I felt pretty bad about it.

It's up to you how you want to feel about it all.

I'd like to think that Hibs as an employer and we as a support could cut folk a bit of slack in certain situations, even when they appear to be pretty unsatisfactory.

It's only a game. Do we care that much?

I'm not going to get involved in any bickering about it - especially now we're talking about someone who is no longer at the club and the matter is finished.

If she was still at the club, actively siphoning money off to Ibrox then I might get a bit hot under the collar. But she's not.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Looks like her colleagues valued and will miss her but her Twitter feed (and ones personal Twitter feed is just that) would make you think she’s working for Glasgow City rather than Hibs. But if she helped run it for so long you cAn only imagine this association was down with the blessing of Hibs (whom I notice appear to be the “Full Time” job referred to but not named )
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Looks like her colleagues valued and will miss her but her Twitter feed (and ones personal Twitter feed is just that) would make you think she’s working for Glasgow City rather than Hibs. But if she helped run it for so long you cAn only imagine this association was down with the blessing of Hibs (whom I notice appear to be the “Full Time” job referred to but not named )
    So Hibs were effectively subsidising another football club. Strange situation.

Good that she has gone.

It would seem there was little or no effective contribution to Hibs and a seemingly obvious conflict of interest with her Glasgow City role.

One has to wonder why she was ever appointed and who made the decision to make that appointment.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Good that she has gone.

It would seem there was little or no effective contribution to Hibs and a seemingly obvious conflict of interest with her Glasgow City role.

One has to wonder why she was ever appointed and who made the decision to make that appointment.
    Dempster appointed her, I thought that was common knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Dempster appointed her, I thought that was common knowledge?

That question was actually rhetorical.

I think it’s showing that Ron is looking to run a leaner and far more efficient and results oriented business to support the football side

Did she not start Glasgow City originally?

First Team Regular
    Dempster had quite a specific remit, and major job when she came in.

I think its clear that Gordon wants more emphasis on commercial etc, and given how far Hibs lag behind both dons and hearts in bringing in commercial income, and given Hibs high profile difficulties in bringing in a main sponsor, i think it seems fair to say she wasnt doing anything exceptional. Appreciate she had horrific personal circumstances to cope with too.

Always thought the dual role was weird, and shouldnt have been allowed.

Constant reference to the woman’s personal tragedy aren’t exactly pleasant. She’s gone now. No need to press this any further. Imagine if she’s looking in? Perhaps just be a bit kinder.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Constant reference to the woman’s personal tragedy aren’t exactly pleasant. She’s gone now. No need to press this any further. Imagine if she’s looking in? Perhaps just be a bit kinder.
    If we closed everything off for discussion after a citizen experienced tragedy, we wouldn’t have very much to talk about.

As the saying goes, life must go on.

Perhaps you need to give this thread a miss rather that decide what is best for everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I don't see anyone being insensitive, indeed it's being raised as a legitimate reason her performance may have lacked something. regardless there are legitimate points raised about said performance that were regularly swept under the carpet at the time. she shouldn't have been near the job and it's undoubtedly cost Hibs revenue.

that said Glasgow City are close to her heart and I genuinely wish her well. I hope she finds personal inner peace back at a club she loves.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My own view is we never capitalised off the field on the back of cup win. Too slow with ideas, no sponsorship, and lots just not doing the business. Lets hope we see real progress now
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    My own view is we never capitalised off the field on the back of cup win. Too slow with ideas, no sponsorship, and lots just not doing the business. Lets hope we see real progress now
    Yup...21/05/2016 was a cathartic moment for Hibernian FC, but it's already the thick end of 5 years in the past. We've got to keep improving and progressing and keep our history evolving.

I sometimes think (rightly or wrongly) that there's a few still in positions of influence at ER that think "job done" after the Cup win.

It showed the true potential of the club and should have been a launch pad to a more consistent period of success re league placings in particular, but it hasn't transpired that way.

Our default setting seems to be to retreat into ourselves at times, and I really hope Gordon sees the true potential of the club and appoints a new CEO that gets the club and understands the fans' aspirations and really kicks us on.

It's not difficult: Sign decent players and give us an attractive, bold and aggressive team that we can readily identify with and enjoy watching. Beat Hearts more often; big-up the fixture in the manner that they do. Get the whole club wanting to do them.

Achieve that and the rest will follow.

Oh, and get the club more visibly and actively involved with HSL and get the contributions up.