hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Raul Jimenez

Raul Jimenez

Confirmation this morning he has fractured his skull in a freak incident with David Luiz. Wish him a speedy recovery.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    A lot kicking off on social media because david luiz played on after such a heafty clash, fuelled by Troy Deeneys views that these decisions should be left to the player, at a time when English football has seen one charlton brother die whilst battling dementia and the other diagnosed with it all being linked to the heading of the ball never mind nasty knocks crazy to be broadcasting such stupidity.

Some shows on Talksport I quite enjoy but I’m starting to think they should really be held accountable in some way for allowing such idiotic statements being made on the show and the constants baiting fans for calls whilst I’m at it

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot kicking off on social media because david luiz played on after such a heafty clash, fuelled by Troy Deeneys views that these decisions should be left to the player, at a time when English football has seen one charlton brother die whilst battling dementia and the other diagnosed with it all being linked to the heading of the ball never mind nasty knocks crazy to be broadcasting such stupidity.

Some shows on Talksport I quite enjoy but I’m starting to think they should really be held accountable in some way for allowing such idiotic statements being made on the show and the constants baiting fans for calls whilst I’m at it
    Yeah, Deeney is a bit of a neanderthal with his footballing opinions really.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Certainly not a medical expert just throwing this out there but does this injury threaten his career in this day and age? Can a player go back to full contact football, heading the ball etc after such an injury. Didnt Petr Cech have to wear a skull cap after his injury, that would be a little more cumbersome for an outfield player.

Was an awful clash and wish him a full recovery.

My 4000th post

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Certainly not a medical expert just throwing this out there but does this injury threaten his career in this day and age? Can a player go back to full contact football, heading the ball etc after such an injury. Didnt Petr Cech have to wear a skull cap after his injury, that would be a little more cumbersome for an outfield player.

My 4000th post
    Sure Ryan Mason at Spurs had to retire after the same injury.

My 4000th post
    Good chance it could be the end for him. Hes a big unit who competes for every ball. Another hit like that could kill him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Can't believe David Luiz played on. He clearly had a bad knock himself and lost blood.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It'll annoy a few anti-rugby die hards, but its about time football took a leaf out of rugby's book and allowed temporary substitutions for head injury assessments.

The decision whether to play on or not can't be left to the player and if the coaches fear having to make a permanent substitution while the situation is still unclear or being down to 10 men for a period of time then they'll always be more reluctant to make that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    It'll annoy a few anti-rugby die hards, but its about time football took a leaf out of rugby's book and allowed temporary substitutions for head injury assessments.

The decision whether to play on or not can't be left to the player and if the coaches fear having to make a permanent substitution while the situation is still unclear or being down to 10 men for a period of time then they'll always be more reluctant to make that decision.
    As an anti-rugby die hard, I totally agree.

Players health has to come first and it has to be taken out of the player/manager's hands. Get a neutral Dr to cover every game so that the Dr can't feel under any pressure like what happened to Eva Carniero.

Generally speaking, this is probably a valid point.

But in this particular instance, the game was stopped for ten minutes. The medical folk must have had time to satisfy themselves that Luiz was OK to play on, at that point.

As an anti-rugby die hard, I totally agree.

Players health has to come first and it has to be taken out of the player/manager's hands. Get a neutral Dr to cover every game so that the Dr can't feel under any pressure like what happened to Eva Carniero.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post

Talksport really is awful *****. Apart from anything else, their coverage of Scottish football (such as it is) only encourages the view that only two clubs matter up here.

Do yourself a favour and stop listening. Hopefully the station will lose so many listeners that it dies.

@hibs.net private member

isn't a bad idea at all, there's far too much riding on results for players and coaches to be making these decisions also players contracts being heavily incentivized players could be ignoring signs they don't understand for a financial gain.

a lot happening around head injuries in the game right now I wonder if we're beginning to see a move towards heading being outlawed all together, huge challenge for the game to make it safer if its proven to have long term effects on players.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Generally speaking, this is probably a valid point.

But in this particular instance, the game was stopped for ten minutes. The medical folk must have had time to satisfy themselves that Luiz was OK to play on, at that point.
    I think at times common sense needs to come into play it looked fairly clear that there had been an appalling head knock and wrapping up a bad cut and letting him play on seemed very odd to be honest.

Left by mutual consent!
    I hope he’s okay, it looked a dull one. Any head knock should lead to a sub and there should be a subsequent sub added imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I think at times common sense needs to come into play it looked fairly clear that there had been an appalling head knock and wrapping up a bad cut and letting him play on seemed very odd to be honest.
    Luiz looked fine with the exception of a cut. Looked like the problem he had, when you saw him later in the half, was that the cut had opened up again and you could see it coming through the bandage.

If he was subbed at half time because of that then I don’t think they did anything wrong. If he was subbed at half time because of concussion fears, then that’s a bit different. As I say, given the time the game was stopped, he must have passed the concussion tests or whatever.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I said this in the non hibs games thread when it happened but it will never come into football to do HIAs. There are too many players that pretend to have an injury to get a free kick or an opponent carded. There will be players having to leave the pitch all over the place due to play acting. Having played rugby before and after HIAs came in I guarantee you that it is a safer game now that it is on place. If a physio comes on for a head knock of any description in the amateur game the ref will not let that player continue. In the pro game there are doctors at the game who watch for any head knock and can stop the game and ask for the player to leave the field for an HIA. HIA and concussion protocols were really pushed big time after the death of a teenager in Ireland who had taken three blows to the head and was NEVER knocked out. He died after collapsing during the game. No chances should ever be taken with a players health. No matter the sport. But players need to stop pretending to be hurt as well

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Can't believe David Luiz played on. He clearly had a bad knock himself and lost blood.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

this, saw him getting bandaged up, no way was he fit to play IMO

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The dalmeny View Post
    this, saw him getting bandaged up, no way was he fit to play IMO
    He looked a mixture of Richard Gough and sideshow Bob.

My 4000th post
    I fractured my skull when I was a kid .... fell off / was pushed off a chute on Leith links ...... and as anyone on here will tell you there's nothing the matter with me

Good luck to the lad, hope he makes a full recovery and gets back playing, it was a sickner of a collision.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar

My 4000th post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Cech didn't need to wear one from a medical point of view when it was all healed, but it was more psychological for him (understandable).

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Luiz looked fine with the exception of a cut. Looked like the problem he had, when you saw him later in the half, was that the cut had opened up again and you could see it coming through the bandage.

If he was subbed at half time because of that then I don’t think they did anything wrong. If he was subbed at half time because of concussion fears, then that’s a bit different. As I say, given the time the game was stopped, he must have passed the concussion tests or whatever.
    Not so sure he did look ok. Artetas comment about the substitution

He couldn't really head the ball, he was uncomfortable - nothing else - so we took him off.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

He couldn't really head the ball, he was uncomfortable - nothing else - so we took him off.
    To be fair David Luis being unable to head the ball has been a problem for his entire career.

Arteta’s comments back up what I’m saying I think.

They followed the protocols and he wasn’t taken off because he passed the relevant tests. He was then subsequently taken off because he found having his head bandaged up made it awkward to head the ball.

I don’t disagree with wider points on head injuries. Just in this case I don’t think Arsenal did much wrong and had ample time to make the assessments of the player they needed to due to the stoppage.