hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Who killed Elena Salves? (Warning: spoilers probable)

Tomorrow night brings us the final episode of The Undoing. If you haven't been following theiis excellent mini series, I suggest you leave this thread immediately before doing so. It's on Sky Atlantic.

I have warmed considerably to Hugh Grant since his self deprecating and quite brilliant performance in Paddington 2, and he continues his good form in The Undoing.

For a murder mystery there's quite a gentle feel about the story although there are enough clues and red herrings to keep you guessing.

The penultimate episode ended on a huge, unexpected cliff hanger, but that would be too simple.

Wouldn't it?

So, who do you think deployed the hammer?

Jonathan? He's the police favourite. He's been charged with her murder and there's enough evidence, albeit circumstantial, to convict.

Grace? Did a jealous wife take matters into her own hands?

Noah? He loves his violin, but WTF?

Franklin? The hatred for his son in law is palpable, but surely he'd just pay someone else to frame him? Or maybe he did just that.

Or.. Sylvia? She's the blonde lawyer friend who's role in the series isn't exactly clear, to me anyway. Unless there's a brilliantly clever reveal, I will be disappointed if it's her. It would be a very lazy, and senseless solution.

So, whodunnit?
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 29-11-2020 at 11:14 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I think Grace did it, can't be Noah surely, way to violent a crime for a young boy to commit surely, jealous wife maybe, to me Noah has found the hammer maybe saw what his mother did and took it, she has now found it and thought why is he suddenly in possession of the hammer.

I must have changed my mind so much watching this, agree about the blonde lassie, will be lazy if it turns out to be her, no back story really, what would be her motive?

Can't wait to see who done it now

Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Grace did it, can't be Noah surely, way to violent a crime for a young boy to commit surely, jealous wife maybe, to me Noah has found the hammer maybe saw what his mother did and took it, she has now found it and thought why is he suddenly in possession of the hammer.

I must have changed my mind so much watching this, agree about the blonde lassie, will be lazy if it turns out to be her, no back story really, what would be her motive?

Can't wait to see who done it now
    I'd like it to be the beardy detective cos I really don't like him!

I had myself convinced that it was Grace's father, but as I touched on above, it's too much of a stretch to think that he wouldn't just buy a hitman. That's a definite possibility but how can they work that out in just the final episode?

One thing that hasn't been explained is Jonathan's comments during the TV interview that he had an inkling as to who the murderer was. That's a bit disappointing in terms of the plot development, but it may play a part tomorrow.

Yeah, like you, I'm excited to find out who the killer was.

If we do...😳

I just thought, could it have been planned by Grace and Jonathan together.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I just thought, could it have been planned by Grace and Jonathan together.
    Didn't think of that before and it's now got me thinking, why did Elana involve her self in Grace's life, what was going on with her being so upset at the benefit party?, she maybe was hell bent on ruining Johnathan and Grace's lives, we know that Grace was in the area the night of the murder, Donald Sutherland left the party early im sure, we know that Johnathan is a liar and lacks empathy, one of those three for me and maybe together as you suggested.

First Team Breakthrough
    Does Jonathan have an idea?, maybe alluding to Elana's husband as the culprit and may look to put the blame elsewhere, he also did question Grace to why she was in the area that night.

First Team Breakthrough
    Don't think it's a hitman, to frenzied an attack

Does Jonathan have an idea?, maybe alluding to Elana's husband as the culprit and may look to put the blame elsewhere, he also did question Grace to why she was in the area that night.
    He was asked by the interviewer if he had any idea who the killer was. He said "I think I do" or words to that effect.

A hitman would have needed to make it look like it wasn't a hitman in order to frame Jonathan. A frenzied attack (if that's what it really was) might do that.

FWIW, I doubt that's the explanation, but it's a possibility.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough
    Hope to god we find out the answer tomorrow, really enjoyed this show, a series that gets you talking about it and the possibilities of who may have done it, these are my type of programmes and would love to see more of this genre.

I can't believe it. Episode 6 was shown last night!

I'm keeping it till later tonight anyway.

First Team Breakthrough
    Didn't know that, going to watch it now then

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    I’ve just finished it. Soooooo good. Hugh Grant is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I’ve just finished it. Soooooo good. Hugh Grant is phenomenal.
    I may be in the minority but having kinda hate watched the final few episodes I thought it was rubbish.

Seemed to think it was clever to get the audience guessing but just seemed disingenuous to me. Characters were all over the place.

I'll wait till Jakhog has seen it before commenting in any depth, but while it maybe wasn't the ending I would have chosen, although I'm not sure exactly what I'd have preferred, at least it was feasible rather than something left field that no-one could have guessed.

The whodunit element in the series was so strong that I didn't give much thought to the quality of the acting although I doubt that any of the actors will be looking for Emmys or the likes.

It kept my attention throughout and overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it. A more than decent few hours viewing.

First Team Breakthrough
    Was not expecting the ending at all, u suppose the obvious answer was always him,
    I thought Hugh Grant was good in it, you can see him coming more unhinged as he is driving of with his son, was a good mini series and held my attention the whole time

the first couple of episodes were Excellent. the way the plot developed.

from the murder on it was a bit meh imo.

I felt the characters lacked depth, the bits they just threw in from no where about him for example felt thrown in less than placed. maybe that's because it was a short mini series rather than having an extra episode of two to set some more ground work.

it was also pretty predictable, I say that in that there wasn't a lot of room to go with an alternative solution short of the husband probably with a hitman and looking to frame Grant. I also quantify this by saying these shows always end with a twist - it lead you so far down the line of trying to make you think he wasn't guilty that the twist had to be he was actually guilty.

the last 15 minutes in the car was brilliant acting (which I've not see from 1 dimensional grant before). you could see him becoming more and more unhinged, you could see the development in his personality which meant he was capable of that split second madness to kill someone but at the same time you could see the desperation in which he wanted to hang onto his family despite everything, again leading to how he was capable of killing her to try and protect that.

I've seen worse and I've see better. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    the first couple of episodes were Excellent. the way the plot developed.

from the murder on it was a bit meh imo.

I felt the characters lacked depth, the bits they just threw in from no where about him for example felt thrown in less than placed. maybe that's because it was a short mini series rather than having an extra episode of two to set some more ground work.

it was also pretty predictable, I say that in that there wasn't a lot of room to go with an alternative solution short of the husband probably with a hitman and looking to frame Grant. I also quantify this by saying these shows always end with a twist - it lead you so far down the line of trying to make you think he wasn't guilty that the twist had to be he was actually guilty.

the last 15 minutes in the car was brilliant acting (which I've not see from 1 dimensional grant before). you could see him becoming more and more unhinged, you could see the development in his personality which meant he was capable of that split second madness to kill someone but at the same time you could see the desperation in which he wanted to hang onto his family despite everything, again leading to how he was capable of killing her to try and protect that.

I've seen worse and I've see better. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Have you seen Paddington 2?

Hugh Grant proved that he's capable of a lot more than the slightly naive, posh boy stereotype he usually gets cast as. He went right up in my estimation then and I agree, he was good last night too.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Have you seen Paddington 2?

Hugh Grant proved that he's capable of a lot more than the slightly naive, posh boy stereotype he usually gets cast as. He went right up in my estimation then and I agree, he was good last night too.
    I thought that Hugh Grant in Guy Ritchie's The Gentleman was a brilliant performance, for me he was by far the best in the movie, great to see another great performance from him in undoing

I thought that Hugh Grant in Guy Ritchie's The Gentleman was a brilliant performance, for me he was by far the best in the movie, great to see another great performance from him in undoing
    Yes, he was good in that too.

I didn't like the film, although I know it was entertaining, which might be why I forgot about his role.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It was a pretty good series, I actually quite liked that they led you to think there's a twist and then, well, there wasn't really.

I did think that there were bits of it that detracted from it, though - Nicole Kidman responding to Grant's "booty call" was ridiculous, the idea that the son would just go for breakfast with his dad without anyone else knowing on what was going to be the final day of the trial was absurd as well, as were the visits from/to Elena's husband, and the TV appearance, although they did help create the drama which I suppose is the point.

Overall I enjoyed it, Grant, Kidman, and Sutherland all played their roles very well, IMHO.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    I enjoyed the first three episodes but it nose-dived after that for me. The"twist" - as in Grace's testimony and related actions - was disappointing. It could have been improved by showing her and Sylvia's actions retrospectively after the testimony.

The premise of Jonathan's character was utterly ridiculous and I think that's also what ruined the ending for me. However, the character was almost made believable by Grant, who was fantastic.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    I havent read this thread in case there is spoilers but....

every time I see the thread title I think it says "Who killed Santas Elves?"

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    I havent read this thread in case there is spoilers but....

every time I see the thread title I think it says "Who killed Santas Elves?"
    Turns out it was Santa all along, think the pressure got too much for him eventually, although I did suspect Rudolph for a bit