hibs.net Messageboard

Willie Collum And The Standard In General

I realise that refs are also human beings but do they subconsciously think that the rules should be different in certain games and applied differently to certain players. Charlie as he was referred to on many occasions during the ppv commentary ( Hibs tv ) was guilty of 2 bookable fouls in any other fixture but was shown clemency by Collum. Do refs feel sorry for the underdogs and feel the need to apply handicap decisions in order to make the game more even and are the big names playing to a different set of rules ( see also Harry Kane, at times ).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I realise that refs are also human beings but do they subconsciously think that the rules should be different in certain games and applied differently to certain players. Charlie as he was referred to on many occasions during the ppv commentary ( Hibs tv ) was guilty of 2 bookable fouls in any other fixture but was shown clemency by Collum. Do refs feel sorry for the underdogs and feel the need to apply handicap decisions in order to make the game more even and are the big names playing to a different set of rules ( see also Harry Kane, at times ).
    There were a few more than Adam should have been booked today. Not to mention some bizarre decisions - over-ruling the linesman, giving a foul against Doidge when he had been fouled. He was awful.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    There were a few more than Adam should have been booked today. Not to mention some bizarre decisions - over-ruling the linesman, giving a foul against Doidge when he had been fouled. He was awful.
    Wasn’t just a foul against Doidgey, it was an elbow to the throat. Straight red.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Adam got away with murder, presumably just because of his profile.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

The reason for picking out Charlie Adam was due to his obvious past reputation as a player who played at a higher standard, I just felt that a couple of his challenges were reckless even if they were unintentional and that you just can’t stand back and say oh it’s Charlie he’s just getting a bit older and slower now so I’ll make allowances for that.

I don’t normally lambast referees as much as some, and I’ll admit to not having watched the game today.

One of my pet hates though are referees controlling (or failing to control) games with inappropriate use of the yellow card.

You hear pundits talk about referees being sensible and keeping their cards in their pocket. Nonsense - if it’s a booking it is a booking whether it is the first minute or the last.

Particularly in Scotland certain clubs have been allowed to prosper whilst playing a prehistoric style of football, knowing that rarely refs will show the cojones required to clamp down appropriately.

It’s just a small one of many reasons why we sometimes end up being found wanting in Europe, where refs are less likely to tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don’t normally lambast referees as much as some, and I’ll admit to not having watched the game today.

One of my pet hates though are referees controlling (or failing to control) games with inappropriate use of the yellow card.

You hear pundits talk about referees being sensible and keeping their cards in their pocket. Nonsense - if it’s a booking it is a booking whether it is the first minute or the last.

Particularly in Scotland certain clubs have been allowed to prosper whilst playing a prehistoric style of football, knowing that rarely refs will show the cojones required to clamp down appropriately.

It’s just a small one of many reasons why we sometimes end up being found wanting in Europe, where refs are less likely to tolerate.
    When the like of Madden and Collum openly admit that they referee Derby’s (in particular old firm derby) different to other games then it makes you wonder. Rules are rules regardless of games. Whether that spoils the game isn’t their decision, they’re there purely to administer the rules. One club may get a player booked 6 times and miss games while another player won’t miss games due to being refereed differently and that’s not right at all.

Does the poor standard of refereeing add to one of the reasons our game is not advancing like it should be, some teams try to play fitba but are kicked about the park as teams know they wont be punished. stifling creative players.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Honestly have never seen that before overruling a linesman who had a much better view than he did. Was the opposite of a homer yesterday. Appalling referee who is untouchable and cam make mistake after mistake. There was a thread here about the lack of top refs from outwith West central Scotland looking at performances by Collum and others there must be some very good refs in other areas who think it is cronyism at its best ( I mean Andrew Dallas really) and their career path is totally affected by where they happen to live. Absolutely a system not fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Does the poor standard of refereeing add to one of the reasons our game is not advancing like it should be, some teams try to play fitba but are kicked about the park as teams know they wont be punished. stifling creative players.
    Absolutely is the case imo when you look at the way Hearts and Aberdeen for example foul their way through games they do stifle players and teams by kicking them off the park. Think it wa Heckngbotham who made the point that the Spfl was much less strict on fouling than the English championship which is a statement. Of course this sort of discussion doesn't take place as it would annoy the Hearts mafia.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Adam had a tackle yesterday that was knee high and he was studs up, Gollum was yards away and gave a free kick. If you’re standing that close to such an obvious yellow card and don’t give it you shouldn’t be a ref.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Adam had a tackle yesterday that was knee high and he was studs up, Gollum was yards away and gave a free kick. If you’re standing that close to such an obvious yellow card and don’t give it you shouldn’t be a ref.
    There was also a sort of rugby shoulder high tackle from their full back which won a foul but not even spoken too..some strange lack of bookings for sure ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    There was also a sort of rugby shoulder high tackle from their full back which won a foul but not even spoken too..some strange lack of bookings for sure ...
    Yep the one near the dugouts absolute stick on yellow just allowed the left back another opportunity to kick Boyle absolutely the sort of fouls that should be yellow cards every day of the week if you are interested in encouraging a free flowing attacking game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    I think that sometimes refs are more lenient with the classy veteran type players - giving them the benefit of the doubt that other players would not get at times. I remember that of Ray Wilkins' short time with Hibs many years ago. He was past it and fitter players would sometimes drift past him in midfield - resulting in some very late and meaty challenges which, much to my astonishment, would usually go unpunished by the card they fully deserved.

I didn't watch the game yesterday but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Charlie Adams was being shown the same kind of levity. I don't think it's very fair or right, but as you say, refs are human and this is probably their human failings shining through more than anything else.

I feel that referees in Scotland rely far too much on what "feels like a foul" rather than actually being up to speed with play and calling things for what they really are.

They look at a situation and think to themselves, hmm probably 7 times out of 10 that is a foul, so I will give it as a foul 100% of the time.

Also the whole penalty to "even things up" happens far too often up here, I honestly think that the poor standard of foul happy (but not card happy) referees play a massive part in holding the game back up here.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    and what a profile it is
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Any other country the referee would be taken off duty for a while after a performance like Collum turned in at Hampden a few weeks back. He was an absolute disgrace that day and got 3 massive decisons wrong. The guy isnt good enough to be a ref in the top flight. Although i do think hes one of the few who isnt a cheat, hes just massively inept.

I regularly slate Clancy on this blog
    However on this occasion I will comment that his performance against St Johnstone was his least worst performance for us in a while .
    However before I get too carried away I have not forgotten the many bad performances that he has had in our games

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    He sure did & not just his fouls. His dive was almost comical & yet Collum bought it.

Testimonial Due
    What makes the referees decisions at this time worse, is the fact there are no fans baying for blood!!
    You expect bad decisions at Ibrox and Parkhead, huge home fans wanting every decision and mostly getting them.
    Never seems to work when Easter Road is packed to the rafters tho'???

The players make hunners of outragous mistakes despite training every day so not surprised that referees struggle to get all the decisions right e.g. I have noticed Ryan Porteous have a fresh air or near fresh air hit in almost all of his recent matches. How is this possible for an U21 International player?
    Humans, they're no the best.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-11-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    The players make hunners of outragous mistakes despite training every day so not surprised that referees struggle to get all the decisions right e.g. I have noticed Ryan Porteous have a fresh air or near fresh air hit in almost all of his recent matches. How is this possible for an U21 International player?
    Humans, they're no the best.
    Players constantly making mistakes are normally punished by their boss by getting dropped, occasionally it will cost their team points/goals, it may result in a punishment from the ref by way of a booking. Players are accountable for their mistakes. Are referees?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Players constantly making mistakes are normally punished by their boss by getting dropped, occasionally it will cost their team points/goals, it may result in a punishment from the ref by way of a booking. Players are accountable for their mistakes. Are referees?
    There is no alternative to referees.
    VAR would be the only way of improving things and Scottish Football has neither the money nor the stomach for it in it's present form.
    P.S. Ryan still rightly in the Hibs team despite his fresh air & near fresh air hits.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-11-2020 at 11:17 PM.

There is no alternative to referees.
    VAR would be the only way of improving things and Scottish Football has neither the money nor the stomach for it in it's present form..
    There are surely alternative referees, and if there isn’t then serious questions need to be asked as to why not. VAR wouldn’t improve simple decisions up here. Decisions that are blatantly obvious yet not given, VAR wouldn’t result in them refereeing the old firm derby the same way as Hamilton Ross County. Total cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    There are surely alternative referees, and if there isn’t then serious questions need to be asked as to why not. VAR wouldn’t improve simple decisions up here. Decisions that are blatantly obvious yet not given, VAR wouldn’t result in them refereeing the old firm derby the same way as Hamilton Ross County. Total cop out.
    Fans of teams wouldn't accept alternate referees any more than they accept the present ones.
    Go on any fan sites in Scotland and you will find a thread that this or that referee is ***** and has it in for their team. It's pretty much all rubbish.
    As per the players referee mistakes are generally just down to human error and sometimes inexplicably so.
    The best you can hope for is that they don't make a mistake which affects the result.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-11-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Fans of teams wouldn't accept alternate referees any more than they accept the present ones.
    Go on any fan sites in Scotland and you will find a thread that this or that referee is ***** and has it in for their team. It's pretty much all rubbish.
    As per the players referee mistakes are generally just down to human error and sometimes inexplicably so.
    The best you can hope for is that they don't make a mistake which affects the result.
    I don’t doubt they are down to human error, but if you make mistakes constantly through one match, and then consistently over numerous matches, you should be demoted. It’s a fairly simple process, yet we don’t seem to have enough top graded officials to alternate. You compare it to a player but a player wouldn’t get away with game changing errors week after week after week without being dropped, yet referees do.