hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

Lewis Stevenson

Jack Ross says he wants him to extend his stay beyond the end of the season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Good

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Another year is fine as long as not on a big wage. Excellent back up and someone to help nurture Doig & Mackie.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg

Lewis Stevenson

Good to hear, never lets us down.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Here's hoping that he stays as opposed to heading elsewhere in search of a regular start. I think both Doig & Mackie specifically can learn a lot from him as can the rest of our youngsters in general.

I think he’ll see off the challenge if the other 2, be our regular LB again for much of the rest of the season, the defence will do it’s bit for the rest of the season and he’ll be well worth any extension.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he’ll see off the challenge if the other 2, be our regular LB again for much of the rest of the season, the defence will do it’s bit for the rest of the season and he’ll be well worth any extension.
    I think he might be used in the same way that Bartley was latterly, ie. in matches where the defence might need shored up.

Good to hear - Stevenson has been an excellent club servant - convinced he can still do a job for us - if fit, I'd pick him - hope he stays with us for many years to come

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Good to hear - Stevenson has been an excellent club servant - convinced he can still do a job for us - if fit, I'd pick him - hope he stays with us for many years to come
    I agree 100%

Too right he should be offered an extension....sentiment has nothing to do with it despite the time he's been with us or his 2 cups, it is because the boy is a bloody good player. Strong, experienced and talented.....he is also properly fit, a year for me sounds odd, he still has at least 2 peak years left.

Good news

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Superb news. Club legend.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    Too right he should be offered an extension....sentiment has nothing to do with it despite the time he's been with us or his 2 cups, it is because the boy is a bloody good player. Strong, experienced and talented.....he is also properly fit, a year for me sounds odd, he still has at least 2 peak years left.
    My thoughts too

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Another year is fine as long as not on a big wage. Excellent back up and someone to help nurture Doig & Mackie.
    I think you can confidently assume Lewis will not get a big wage...he confirmed himself recently that he doesn’t earn much.

At the moment he’s not a back up either - he’s our best left back and until he’s not then he should still be here.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Jack Ross says he wants him to extend his stay beyond the end of the season.
    He could stay forever and I’d be happy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Starting to pick up injuries more regularly now so we will always need decent cover if he is given new contract if he stays injury free after this spell out still worth another year imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should think so too!!!

@hibs.net private member
    I love Lewis and think he deserves another year.

But how long do McGregor and Gray have left? I'm a bit nervous about keeping 3 defenders on the books at their age.

I know they won't be on huge money but they are 3 professionals, not kids. They are still taking up a wage and together probably a pretty good wage.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I love Lewis and think he deserves another year.

But how long do McGregor and Gray have left? I'm a bit nervous about keeping 3 defenders on the books at their age.

I know they won't be on huge money but they are 3 professionals, not kids. They are still taking up a wage and together probably a pretty good wage.
    I would never like to see Lewis pull on a Jersey against Hibs. He is our most successful player ever. If he has to go then let him go to England or Europe with our blessings.
    Last edited by JOD; 29-11-2020 at 12:59 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry but I’d let him go. Excellent pro and amazing servant to Hibs but we have Daz and Sir David on long term contracts. Let the two young lads fight it out for that position and spend his wages on other positions.

We had the golden generation making us millions because we played them constantly. We now have two young lads that can fill Lewis’ position. I know this will not be a popular opinion but we need to make hard decisions every so often.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    He could stay forever and I’d be happy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'd let him stay twice as long as that.......

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOD View Post
    I would never like to see Lewis pull on a Jersey against Hibs. He is our most successful player ever. If he has to go then let him go to England or Europe with our blessings.
    Not much certainty in this life but it’s fair to say that Lewis won’t be going to Europe or England to play football, unless it’s with Hibs.

I’ll also take your most successful Hibs player ever and raise you three league medals for Smith, Turnbull, Combe and no doubt a few others. Going further back, the team that won the cup in 1902 and league the following season might just have a claim on that accolade, if you prefer a mixed declaration of greatness.

He’s a great Hibernian, but not our most successful player ever.

Any extension should be one season at a time. We can’t let ourselves get to the situation we have with Gray and McGregor. Two full time senior players playing about ten games between them a season and struggling mostly in those games. That is not a good use of Hibs small resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy, as I feel that he rarely let's us down.

What's the latest with McGinn's contract? IMO I think that he's done very well at right back.

I think for the time being Lewis is still first choice when all three of him, Mackie, and Doig are fit.

Mackie needs time though with the age he's at to try and take over the role at some point so it would be good to see the two rotate with each other. Doig is still so young and has had a great start with some evidence of work needed to continue development on so it makes sense to keep Lewis and slowly transition.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Not much certainty in this life but it’s fair to say that Lewis won’t be going to Europe or England to play football, unless it’s with Hibs.

I’ll also take your most successful Hibs player ever and raise you three league medals for Smith, Turnbull, Combe and no doubt a few others. Going further back, the team that won the cup in 1902 and league the following season might just have a claim on that accolade, if you prefer a mixed declaration of greatness.

He’s a great Hibernian, but not our most successful player ever.
    He's certainly in the category of most successful players ever. None of the lads you've mentioned have lifted a League Cup, and a Scottish Cup for the club and if we're honest we could go another 114 years and still not see someone repeat that. Throw into the fact the guy has won a division title with us (regardless of what tier its in) and the amount of appearances he's made so far, and will likely have made when he leaves, he is a Hibernian legend and will forever be etched into the history as one of our most successful players to have played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Happy, as I feel that he rarely let's us down.

What's the latest with McGinn's contract? IMO I think that he's done very well at right back.
    He signed an extension last month for another year.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    He's certainly in the category of most successful players ever. None of the lads you've mentioned have lifted a League Cup, and a Scottish Cup for the club and if we're honest we could go another 114 years and still not see someone repeat that. Throw into the fact the guy has won a division title with us (regardless of what tier its in) and the amount of appearances he's made so far, and will likely have made when he leaves, he is a Hibernian legend and will forever be etched into the history as one of our most successful players to have played for us.
    No denying Lewis’s achievement at the club. He is a legend, for the reasons you mention, but he isn’t the most successful Hibs player ever. That was my point.

I would like to see him retire as a Hibs player. Not many one team men in the modern era. In fact I can’t be sure, but maybe the Likes of Eddie Turnbull was the last one at Hibs?

Three good players for one position. A nice problem to have.