hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due

Still waiting for last season's SKY money????

According to BBC website, the money from the SKY deal has yet to be paid out???

SPFL: Clubs still waiting for seven-figure sum of TV money from last season - BBC Sport

After all the court proceedings and relegation and promotion problems, you would have thought this money would have been paid out long ago!

I'm sure the SPFL had said one of the reasons for curtailing the league was so this money would be paid out???

Looks as if we've all been fed a line, and all the chairmen of their clubs have bought it!!!!
    Last edited by where'stheslope; 26-11-2020 at 06:15 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Strange story. The SKY money just goes into the prize pot and this is then divided. I seem to remember it being said that as an interim share out all clubs in the Premier got a payment equal to the last placed club's payment.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Strange story. The SKY money just goes into the prize pot and this is then divided. I seem to remember it being said that as an interim share out all clubs in the Premier got a payment equal to the last placed club's payment.
    That's exactly what happened.

This payment is usually paid in October. I suspect that there is a discussion going on between the League and their auditors about how much can justifiably be paid out, given the current financial climate.

BTW, English has it wrong about the filing date. It's May, not February. As he does, I think he has half a story here and has blown it up into something it isn't. It looks like another pop at the SPFL.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 26-11-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

This payment is usually paid in October. I suspect that there is a discussion going on between the League and their auditors about how much can justifiably be paid out, given the current financial climate.

BTW, English has it wrong about the filing date. It's May, not February. As he does, I think he has half a story here and has blown it up into something it isn't. It looks like another pop at the SPFL.
    forgive my ignorance mate, I’m hopeless when it comes to this, but isn’t it the case that all money taken in is then handed back out, Doncaster referenced before that the league hold no reserves. If this is last years money I’d have thought it was easy to say what needs paid out in expenses (presume most has been paid) and then what is left to divvy up between the clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    forgive my ignorance mate, I’m hopeless when it comes to this, but isn’t it the case that all money taken in is then handed back out, Doncaster referenced before that the league hold no reserves. If this is last years money I’d have thought it was easy to say what needs paid out in expenses (presume most has been paid) and then what is left to divvy up between the clubs?
    Normally, that is what happens. This year, there is a complication in that Sky are clawing back money for games that weren't covered. AIUI, that is to be deducted from future years' payments.

My guess is that the current delay is centred on that, and to what extent that clawback should be kept in reserves.

Normally, that is what happens. This year, there is a complication in that Sky are clawing back money for games that weren't covered. AIUI, that is to be deducted from future years' payments.

My guess is that the current delay is centred on that, and to what extent that clawback should be kept in reserves.
    Might not be as simple as this, but can’t Sky just keep whatever they are owed year on year from what they would normally transfer to the SPFL? Last years money shouldn’t really be included in that calculation and that would mean no reason to hold back reserves.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

The fact it is English again having a pop at spfl should automatically cast doubt on the accuracy of the story imo. He has proven himself to be lacking in a considered and fair approach in anything related to the spfl.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Might not be as simple as this, but can’t Sky just keep whatever they are owed year on year from what they would normally transfer to the SPFL? Last years money shouldn’t really be included in that calculation and that would mean no reason to hold back reserves.
    That is what is happening.Sorry if I didn't explain that too well.

It will be complicated further by the need to retain reserves to cover reduced income this season, and perhaps next.

As soon as I saw Tom English was involved, I knew this would just be yet another dig about Hearts being relegated.

The guy is incapable of writing a balanced and fair article based on facts.