hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

When Best went to Hibernian

A wee article today on the Sky Sports website. Think I read that he passed away 15 years ago today

https://www.skysports.com/football/s...ar-in-scotland

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A wee article today on the Sky Sports website. Think I read that he passed away 15 years ago today

Remember those days so well, the good & the bad.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

25th November. Bad date for flawed genius footballers.

@hibs.net private member
    A legend who I managed to meet albeit just for an autograph.
    Used to regularly go up to Gilzeans shop on Fleshmarket close to buy some of the Hibs badges , posters etc he used to make.
    Brother and myself ventured up one day and bought 1 of Gilzeans drawings of George Best only for him to tell us Best was in Jingling Geordies having a beer .
    Replied ah right your kidding us on , no definitely in there.
    Wondered over and there was Best sitting having a beer with some of the 1st team.
    Talk about star struck managed to mumble something like can you sign this please George . No problem signed it All the best George Best and shook my hand.
    Got it framed can't remember what happened to it , thought it might have been in my auld man's but no sign of it when he downsized.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    There is a book out ‘When George came to Edinburgh’ by John Neil Munro

Worth a read quite a few on EBay £6.50.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    25th November. Bad date for flawed genius footballers.
    The two of them can have a good chat about fitbaw up there. Footballing Gods.

RIP

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

He didn't spend too many lonely nights in the North British. He stayed most of the time in Palmerston Place with his wife Angie and their dug. His family were regular visitors from Ireland too!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    A legend who I managed to meet albeit just for an autograph.
    Used to regularly go up to Gilzeans shop on Fleshmarket close to buy some of the Hibs badges , posters etc he used to make.
    Brother and myself ventured up one day and bought 1 of Gilzeans drawings of George Best only for him to tell us Best was in Jingling Geordies having a beer .
    Replied ah right your kidding us on , no definitely in there.
    Wondered over and there was Best sitting having a beer with some of the 1st team.
    Talk about star struck managed to mumble something like can you sign this please George . No problem signed it All the best George Best and shook my hand.
    Got it framed can't remember what happened to it , thought it might have been in my auld man's but no sign of it when he downsized.
    I got his and Angie's autographs when the opened the Tyre Centre at Piershill which is now the Salvation Army. My favourite footballer and despite all the negatives I love that we have had one of the greatest of all time play for us. Got Jim Watts autograph when he opened a supermarket and had just been crowned world champ. Marketing was pretty easy back then.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I got his and Angie's autographs when the opened the Tyre Centre at Piershill which is now the Salvation Army. My favourite footballer and despite all the negatives I love that we have had one of the greatest of all time play for us. Got Jim Watts autograph when he opened a supermarket and had just been crowned world champ. Marketing was pretty easy back then.
    We were there at the tyre centre as well, my mother got to meet him on the day, nae souvenirs unfortunately.

Seen every game he played for us, crap season but he fair lit it up for my group of fans.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Agree brilliant that we have had one of the biggest names in football play for our club. 1st game away to St Mirren crowd was unreal . We left couple of minutes before the end and missed the goal. Following week 20 000 at Easter Road.
    ' His name is Georgie Best he's known as the king of them all , when he's on the ball we all shout for goal cause George is the king of them all '

@hibs.net private member
    Didn't get George best autograph but got jim watts at a supermarket opening at the shore in granton as you say marketing easier back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    He didn't spend too many lonely nights in the North British. He stayed most of the time in Palmerston Place with his wife Angie and their dug. His family were regular visitors from Ireland too!
    I'm not sure where the NB Hotel story comes from. As you say, he lived in Palmerston Place
    I worked in Manor Place at the time and would often see George in the afternoon in Hills bookies in William Street. We would talk football and horses. A couple of times we went over the road to the Melville Bar for a drink, but George stuck to orange juice. The problem was that when he did fall off the wagon, he fell a long way.
    That first game at St Mirren was incredible. I managed to get in about 15 minutes after the start, but couldn't find a spot to watch the game until half time when folk went for a pee. He was excellent. He scored and was unlucky not to equalise right at the death.
    The following Sunday we played Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road and there was a group of St Mirren fans sitting right behind me in the the old North Stand. They just wanted to see more of Bestie.
    What a player.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    There is a book out ‘When George came to Edinburgh’ by John Neil Munro

Worth a read quite a few on EBay £6.50.
    Cheers for that. Never thought to look there. Have it on my Amazon wish list where it is £20-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Cheers for that. Never thought to look there. Have it on my Amazon wish list where it is £20-40.
    Preowned so check for condition info

Delivery FOC

Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    Agree brilliant that we have had one of the biggest names in football play for our club. 1st game away to St Mirren crowd was unreal . We left couple of minutes before the end and missed the goal. Following week 20 000 at Easter Road.
    ' His name is Georgie Best he's known as the king of them all , when he's on the ball we all shout for goal cause George is the king of them all '
    I did the exact same. Missed the goal

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Story of George Best and the world's most stupid teenager:

A 'friend of mine' was thirteen when Best signed for Hibs and was totally starstruck.

I.. ehm, I mean 'my friend'... wanted his autograph so much that 'he' skipped school for the day at MGS and decided to head to Easter Road (where they trained). Not having any money for the bus fare, my 'friend' jumped on the free bus that used to leave Wallyford for the old Asda on Milton Road (roughly where the roundabout to the A1 is now).

I then... ehm sorry I meant to say 'he'... then walked the three and a half miles from there to Easter Road, and stood outside the stadium waiting for the players (along with quite a number of other autograph hunters) .

When the players came out, the rest of the waiting crowd rushed forward and George was more than happy to chat and sign their autograph books. Unfortunately, it was only at that point that my 'friend' realised he'd forgotten to take his notebook and pen, and was too nervous to even speak to the great man, so just stood at a safe distance and gawped, looking totally glaikit.

The stupid idiot then had to walk the three and a half miles back to Asda, wait for the free bus back to Wallyford, was screamed at and grounded by my... oops I mean 'his'... Mum, and given detention for skipping school.

Bl**dy idiot. I wonder whatever became of the the wee d1ck....

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

A 'friend of mine' was thirteen when Best signed for Hibs and was totally starstruck.

I.. ehm, I mean 'my friend'... wanted his autograph so much that 'he' skipped school for the day at MGS and decided to head to Easter Road (where they trained). Not having any money for the bus fare, my 'friend' jumped on the free bus that used to leave Wallyford for the old Asda on Milton Road (roughly where the roundabout to the A1 is now).

I then... ehm sorry I meant to say 'he'... then walked the three and a half miles from there to Easter Road, and stood outside the stadium waiting for the players (along with quite a number of other autograph hunters) .

When the players came out, the rest of the waiting crowd rushed forward and George was more than happy to chat and sign their autograph books. Unfortunately, it was only at that point that my 'friend' realised he'd forgotten to take his notebook and pen, and was too nervous to even speak to the great man, so just stood at a safe distance and gawped, looking totally glaikit.

The stupid idiot then had to walk the three and a half miles back to Asda, wait for the free bus back to Wallyford, was screamed at and grounded by my... oops I mean 'his'... Mum, and given detention for skipping school.

Is this an imaginary friend?

@hibs.net private member

Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Is this an imaginary friend?

Dunno what you mean

@hibs.net private member

Still worth it to be close to one of the greatest players ever

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    I'm not sure where the NB Hotel story comes from. As you say, he lived in Palmerston Place
    I worked in Manor Place at the time and would often see George in the afternoon in Hills bookies in William Street. We would talk football and horses. A couple of times we went over the road to the Melville Bar for a drink, but George stuck to orange juice. The problem was that when he did fall off the wagon, he fell a long way.
    That first game at St Mirren was incredible. I managed to get in about 15 minutes after the start, but couldn't find a spot to watch the game until half time when folk went for a pee. He was excellent. He scored and was unlucky not to equalise right at the death.
    The following Sunday we played Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road and there was a group of St Mirren fans sitting right behind me in the the old North Stand. They just wanted to see more of Bestie.
    What a player.
    Sure the Partick game was a League game and played on a Saturday.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by andudare2 View Post
    Sure the Partick game was a League game and played on a Saturday.
    Sure it was played on a Saturday. I used to work until 2pm and had to dash to Easter Road and join a big queue to get in.

@hibs.net private member
    Positive it was Saturday. Biggest 20k crowd of all time and I got a fag burn on my hand as I was squeezed in the crowd and some arse had their cig at waiste level. Crammed in so tight I struggled to get my hand away. Must have been 30k there and the biscuit tin would have paid Georges wages for a few week

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    hibs had asked st.mirren if they would change the fixture to ER but they refused :( ER debut the following week drew 26k crowd iirc

The attendance at the Thistle game was officially just over 20k.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Can get it for a fiver from here

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/b...EaAv5bEALw_wcB

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    I had the pleasure in watching every game that Best played for Hibs, including an extremely cold January midweek friendly down at Leicester.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    I had the pleasure in watching every game that Best played for Hibs, including an extremely cold January midweek friendly down at Leicester.
    I wasn’t at that game, but was at a few that he didn’t turn up
    One was against Ayr I’m sure

Brilliant!

That wee boy could be anyone on here over 50

@hibs.net private member
    I wasn’t at that game, but was at a few that he didn’t turn up
    One was against Ayr I’m sure
    Was Ayr not a Scottish cup game , the weekend he got in with the French rugby team at the NB hotel.
    Was a rumour that Tom Hart offered Best's £2k match fee split amongst the players as part of a win bonus.