hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Diego Maradona

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Shilton's vocabulary on DM not the best... "forget hand of God, forget the cheating"

Did your country not benefit in '66?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Peter Shilton will never have anything like the admiration and love that Diego Maradona holds. A convicted drunk driver who can’t keep his trousers up or his mouth shut.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    The Boca Juniors game was postponed last night. They were supposed to play Internacional. For those of you who don't know, their from Brazil (So don't like Argintina) and play in green (So don't like blue). Light their stadium up all night in Argintina blue all night. Nice touch.

Also at the Bombenera last night Boca turned off all the lights in and around the stadium except for Diego's box. Some very touching pictures.
    I was lucky enough to visit last year and the awe he was held in at Boca was remarkable. It was also surprising how many nods there were to Brazil and Pele around the place. They just love their football but not River.

You can’t help but be touched by the reaction around the world to the mans death. A real one off and a hero to a generation of football fans and indeed, players.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Peter Shilton on ITV earlier today not taking Gaza’s quip well that Maradona’s famous Hand of God goal made made him anyway. Bitter and humourless.

In stark contrast to the warm tribute paid to Maradona by his teammate Gary Lineker.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I was lucky enough to visit last year and the awe he was held in at Boca was remarkable. It was also surprising how many nods there were to Brazil and Pele around the place. They just love their football but not River.

You can’t help but be touched by the reaction around the world to the mans death. A real one off and a hero to a generation of football fans and indeed, players.
    To be fair to River Plate, they paid tribute to him on social media yesterday.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Peter Shilton on ITV earlier today not taking Gaza’s quip well that Maradona’s famous Hand of God goal made made him anyway. Bitter and humourless.

In stark contrast to the warm tribute paid to Maradona by his teammate Gary Lineker.
    Shilton is a notorious avaricious Tory bassa. Maradona was left wing all his life
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

The English gutter press still not over 1986, and can’t bring themselves to show a bit of respect and let it lie for just one day. Playing into the hands of the lunatic fringe.

Get it right up them

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Fantastic and heartfelt tribute by Gary Lineker last night.

https://mobile.twitter.com/btsportfo...80485672706048

RIP Diego
    Really enjoyed that

I know that twitter has predictably attracted the lowest common denominator as usual, but I've been really impressed with the dignity and class shown by by 99%+ of the English people I have encountered on the subject either on tv or on the internet.

We obviously had a bit of fun with it in Scotland, but being on the receiving end of that handball goal would really have stung. See how deep some of the scars run regarding various poor decisions given against Hibs over the years.

For so many to have been able to put that to one side to acknowledge the passing of a flawed character who was revered by so many is, in my opinion to their great credit.

Particularly so given they are a nation who have done little to endear themselves to the outside world in recent years.

Gary Lineker in particular has impressed me with the stuff he's done with Maradona since then, and then in paying tribute last night. That's a guy who performed well enough to get the golden boot at a World Cup and be on the wrong end of something like that at the quarter final stage.

We need more folk who are able to talk, listen, think, understand and build bridges rather than just antagonise from behind anonymous internet pseudonyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Peter Shilton will never have anything like the admiration and love that Diego Maradona holds. A convicted drunk driver who can’t keep his trousers up or his mouth shut.
    He also couldn't outjump a man who was 5'5" tall.

Maradona cheated but he took advantage of a goalkeeping error. Shilton knows it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    The Boca Juniors game was postponed last night. They were supposed to play Internacional. For those of you who don't know, their from Brazil (So don't like Argintina) and play in green (So don't like blue). Light their stadium up all night in Argintina blue all night. Nice touch.

Also at the Bombenera last night Boca turned off all the lights in and around the stadium except for Diego's box. Some very touching pictures.
    In actual fact Internacional play in RED and its their cross town rivals, Gremio, who play in light blue/black/white.
    So it's doubley remarkable for them to light up their stadium in Argentine and Gremio blue.
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 26-11-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Shilton is a notorious avaricious Tory bassa. Maradona was left wing all his life
    Terry 'the tory bassa' Butcher better not be interviewed, he could start another war if he is. If you think Shilts is a poor excuse, he's mild and charitable compared to old Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    To be fair to River Plate, they paid tribute to him on social media yesterday.
    I follow River on social media and their fans have always loved Diego, he transcended football rivalry, he was a genuine living God to Argentines.

This didn't affect me at all yesterday when I heard. I think I was in shock all day, and it was only this morning, as I was drinking my morning coffee, in a cafe, that the tears fell.

He was one of us.

The English gutter press still not over 1986, and can’t bring themselves to show a bit of respect and let it lie for just one day. Playing into the hands of the lunatic fringe.

If that’s real it’s as pathetic as it is disgusting.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Yes, but it's The Daily Star. Never underestimate the depths of the tabloid press.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    It is real.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I know that twitter has predictably attracted the lowest common denominator as usual, but I've been really impressed with the dignity and class shown by by 99%+ of the English people I have encountered on the subject either on tv or on the internet.

We obviously had a bit of fun with it in Scotland, but being on the receiving end of that handball goal would really have stung. See how deep some of the scars run regarding various poor decisions given against Hibs over the years.

For so many to have been able to put that to one side to acknowledge the passing of a flawed character who was revered by so many is, in my opinion to their great credit.

Particularly so given they are a nation who have done little to endear themselves to the outside world in recent years.

Gary Lineker in particular has impressed me with the stuff he's done with Maradona since then, and then in paying tribute last night. That's a guy who performed well enough to get the golden boot at a World Cup and be on the wrong end of something like that at the quarter final stage.

We need more folk who are able to talk, listen, think, understand and build bridges rather than just antagonise from behind anonymous internet pseudonym.
    Agree totally never been more important.

How would we in Scotland react if Maradona had done the same to us?
    Much the same I'd imagine.
    Or would we knuckle the forelock and put it down to his creative genius or summat?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    He’s a total throbber. Diego getting it right up cretins like that even in death. Legend.
    I am on LinkedIn and I am in a wide network of several thousand. Lots of English football fans bitter about the "cheating" and citing drug addiction. I pointed out England's cheating went all the way in 1966 from the quarter final all the way through to the final. I also pointed out a number of their players had addiction problems e.g. Gascoigne, Merson, Adams and Shilton but it did stop people appreciating them as players.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Or would we knuckle the forelock and put it down to his creative genius or summat?
    To be fair that Star front page doesn't reflect how the whole of England are reacting. I listened to a fait bit of talk radio & radio 2 yesterday & the reaction was very respectful.

Even on French TV news, most of the coverage of his death spoke of the "hand of god" incident and included footage of both his goals from that match.

I can't say I watch much English TV but the coverage yesterday seemed rather bitter and parochial with a few honourable exceptions such as Gary Lineker on both TV and Twitter.

The 'Hand of God" turn of phrase ridiculed England off the pitch in exactly the same way the 2nd goal of true genius humiliated the English defenders on the pitch and its something their country has never recovered from.

England has such a rich football heritage and in my opinion the best football fans in the world regarding depth and knowledge but their perceived and frankly laughable "cultural superiority" and English exceptionalism will never allow them to properly acknowledge the passing of one of the greatest footballers of all time.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 27-11-2020 at 08:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Such a pity this thread has become more about England and perceived views of England than the death and loss of a football great.

RIP Diego, true legend.
    Last edited by Lancs Harp; 27-11-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    To be fair that Star front page doesn't reflect how the whole of England are reacting. I listened to a fait bit of talk radio & radio 2 yesterday & the reaction was very respectful.

Even on French TV news, most of the coverage of his death spoke of the "hand of god" incident and included footage of both his goals from that match.
    Yes the coverage hasn't been too disrespectful in England right enough. It's true though that the course of football history would have been different if they'd had VAR! Diego would have been sent off!

You don’t see anything wrong with the wording or positioning of their front page?

The day wasn’t about VAR, England or anything else (even if it had, the wording is shameful).. it was about the passing of arguably the greatest ever man to play the game.

Yes the coverage hasn't been too disrespectful in England right enough. It's true though that the course of football history would have been different if they'd had VAR! Diego would have been sent off!
    Had he already been booked in that game?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    No way he would have been sent off for that.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody* but I had mixed feelings about the guy.

Yes, he was a great footballer but I always thought he was a bit of a d1ck.

* I can't imagine there's many of Maradona's friends and family read this board but you never know

Never in a million years would he have got a red for that. You had to gouge out someone’s eyes or take a chainsaw to an opponent in the 80s to get sent off.

What’s often forgotten about that game is Argentina absolutely battered England, played all the football and 4-1 wouldn’t have flattered them. The best team won. There was always a bit of bite to the England Argentina rivalry (Alf Ramsay calling them ‘animals’) but post Falklands/Malvinas that team were even more motivated to beat England than ever before.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    England may have had a dodgy decision go their way but how exactly does that compare to cheating?
    Good to see Shilton get ripped apart for his comment in the red tops. I'll remember Diego. Not Peter Shilton.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He also couldn't outjump a man who was 5'5" tall.

Maradona cheated but he took advantage of a goalkeeping error. Shilton knows it as well.
    Aye, Shilton a bitter, bitter loser. Even all these years later. Get it right up ye.