hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diego Maradona

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The story behind that photo is interesting as well: https://www.theguardian.com/football...m-famous-photo
    Yeah, good article and I had read it before. Still a brilliant picture though
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    His film is on youtube for anyone wanting to watch.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Not only was he utterly brilliant, he dragged otherwise ordinary teams in Napoli and Argentina to greatness alongside him.

RIP El Diego.

I’m genuinely sad. As far as I’m concerned, the best ever. RIP.

Sad news. Best player of my generation and arguably the best ever.

A footballing genius has left this realm. Feel privileged to have witnessed the greatest ever. One of a kind. Rest in peace Diego.

Left by mutual consent!
    Infinitely better than any past or present EPL player. He was genuis.

RIP son

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    The first time I remember seeing Maradona was at Wembley in 1980, I think he was 17 and he was just working his way into the Argentinian side that had won the world cup a couple of years before. He shone even at that early stage of his career and there were more than a few glimpses in that match of what was to come. England won the game 3-1. There was a moment in the first half when he took the ball and ghosted past 2 or 3 England defenders and slid the ball just past the post a prelude to a certain goal six years later. He was simply brilliant and a very exciting watch, you anticipated something special every time he touched the ball. RIP Diego and thanks for the memories.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not my personal greatest player ever but what a player he was. Marvelous ball skills, trickery, balance and upper body strength. Sad to hear of his passing. RIP Diego.

Genuinely saddened by this news, IMO the greatest player of all time. I was at the Hampden game in 1979 but imagine what it must have been like to watch the guy play week in week out, what a privilege. In the end he was probably as much a victim of his talent as a beneficiary of it.

Rest in peace Diego ... some have come close, very very close, but you were the GOAT

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    From pauper to king. A man who came from nothing to become arguably the greatest footballer ever. He might have been a troubled personality but there is no doubting his amazing talent. Rest in peace Guapo.

I'm too young to remember Maradona in his pomp. However one of my earliest vivid memories of football is his wide eyed celebration at USA 94. Even in disgrace he produced one of the iconic moments of the entire tournament.

I don't think you can separate Maradona the man from Maradona the footballer. The troubled human aspect simply elevated his genius. Football and sport in general is full of talented and gifted people but you only get a handful of people like Maradona in a lifetime. Had he been a vanilla personality with the same football talent would there be the same outpouring of emotion today? I doubt it. His upbringing in poverty, his success coming with teams that weren't renowned as glamorous, the addictions, the erratic managerial decisions, the politics and the legal issues all add to the story and enhance the legend.

Maradona transcended football. My fiance has little interest in the game but the first thing she asked me when I got home tonight was whether I had heard the news. The world is a sadder place without a talent like Maradona.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BobMilne
    The greatest footballer. Crazy mother ******!
    Legends never die!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    I’ll raise a glass of Argentinian Malbec tonight to the icon.

not getting into another tireless and pointless greatest ever debate. He was, quite simply, the player that excited me more than anyone else I’ve seen.

My thoughts exactly. He had everything in his locker. Sublime ball control,the most wonderful passer of a ball,amazing vision, unbelievable body strength and a magnificent shot. His goal against Belgium summed him up. Power,pace,quickness of thought and sublime finish. Must have been incredible to play against. RIP Diego. You’ve not idea how much joy to brought this my and millions of others lives. A true genius.

Testimonial Due
    A part of football has died for people of a certain age. Lucky to have seen him and Pele. Not only was he one of the greatest players of all time but he was also, on the side of the poor and oppressed from Argentina to Napoli to Cuba to Palestine. Tears have been in my eyes all day.

RiP Diego Maradona
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 26-11-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Twitter awash with British nationalist lunatics celebrating his death and proclaiming the Falklands still British.

I despair.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    Twitter awash with British nationalist lunatics celebrating his death and proclaiming the Falklands still British.

I despair.
    The English gutter press still not over 1986, and can’t bring themselves to show a bit of respect and let it lie for just one day. Playing into the hands of the lunatic fringe.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post

I despair.
    leave them to wallow in their sad little lives mate. Best ignored.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The English gutter press still not over 1986, and can’t bring themselves to show a bit of respect and let it lie for just one day. Playing into the hands of the lunatic fringe.

That’s a quite incredible front page. How on earth can that be considered appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    That’s a quite incredible front page. How on earth can that be considered appropriate?
    Quite pathetic. Better to focus on the genius of the man and the sheer joy and inspiration through the beautiful game he brought to so many. Leave the saddos to wallow in their own misery and hate.

They won a world cup by cheating.

They have Harry Kane upfront who spent an entire world cup throwing himself to ground every corner.

They have Sterling and Grealish who are 2 of the biggest divers in the world.

Yeah they can **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    They won a world cup by cheating.

They have Harry Kane upfront who spent an entire world cup throwing himself to ground every corner.

They have Sterling and Grealish who are 2 of the biggest divers in the world.

Yeah they can **** off.

no need fella.

The vast majority of decent English fans recognise his talent and feel the same sense of loss and sadness with his death as anyone else. You're always going to get people with more extreme views especially in this day and age of social media.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Quite pathetic. Better to focus on the genius of the man and the sheer joy and inspiration through the beautiful game he brought to so many. Leave the saddos to wallow in their own misery and hate.
    There was a point in the Sky coverage last night that pointed to the game v England as the defining one in Maradona's career. Never mind the semi or the final, or the titles - the reason was because it was against England and all that England represent to the world of football. Mental.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I saw him in 1979 at Hampden when he scored, little did I realise what he would go on to achieve.

Archie MacPherson was on the radio this morning talking about that game, said a couple of times at night but I recall the game was on a Saturday afternoon.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I saw him in 1979 at Hampden when he scored, little did I realise what he would go on to achieve.

Archie MacPherson was on the radio this morning talking about that game, said a couple of times at night but I recall the game was on a Saturday afternoon.

I heard Archie mentioning “ at night” twice

I defo knew he was something special that day

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    My dad got to see George Best at his absolute peak (against Scotland in Belfast in 1967), and an emerging Maradona (Rep of Ireland v Argentina in Dublin in the early 80s). Said both performances were similar, both electrified the crowd every time they had the ball.

I am extremely envious of him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    An English player does it and it is never mentioned. Journalism like this is why the crayons must be kept under lock and key.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

I heard Archie mentioning “ at night” twice

I defo knew he was something special that day

Was there not a problem of some kind that meant there was no TV coverage?

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=gbhibby;6365251]

What about Henry - handball which lead to a goal. Selective memory about too much fuss?

Not read any English media headlines or twiitter/social media crap so I can only guess at the content from the comments on here and I do despair at some of my fellow countrymen and especially so called "journalists".

I have to agree that Diego was a phenomenal player. Also, as an aside, if all of his off field antics were true what a constitution he must have had to keep up the consistency he showed on the field for the many years that he did (genuine statement, not a dig of any kind).
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 26-11-2020 at 11:54 AM.