hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Diego Maradona

@hibs.net private member
    Watched the wonderful Diego Maradona documentary again last night.

1. What an unbelievable player he was. Simply mesmerising and I remember watching Mexico 86 when he was at his pomp.

2. A real shame how he was exploited for his talent. He recognised the path to destruction he was on in Naples and asked to leave but the President "his jailor" refused to sell at great cost to DM. Also seemed to be given a lot of injections to keep him playing.

3. A real eye opener the way the Italians and the football world turned on him after Argentina knocked Italy out of Italia 90 and his talent began to wane.

4. He was completely justified with the Hand of God after Terry Fenwick put in two shocking challenges on him clearly with the intent to injure him. Now that was proper cheating. Maybe Shilton should have a look at that?

5. What an unbelievable player he was.

RIP Diego.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, Shilton a bitter, bitter loser. Even all these years later. Get it right up ye.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Shilton tweet; ‘ive been really impressed with Jacob Rees Mogg. Really knows what he’s talking about and puts himself across in a calm, confident manner’.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post

1. What an unbelievable player he was. Simply mesmerising and I remember watching Mexico 86 when he was at his pomp.

2. A real shame how he was exploited for his talent. He recognised the path to destruction he was on in Naples and asked to leave but the President "his jailor" refused to sell at great cost to DM. Also seemed to be given a lot of injections to keep him playing.

3. A real eye opener the way the Italians and the football world turned on him after Argentina knocked Italy out of Italia 90 and his talent began to wane.

4. He was completely justified with the Hand of God after Terry Fenwick put in two shocking challenges on him clearly with the intent to injure him. Now that was proper cheating. Maybe Shilton should have a look at that?

RIP Diego.

It's an incredible film. Hard to believe that footage was just sitting in a box for decades.

I saw it in the cinema with a group including a couple of people with almost no interest in football, and even they thought it was brilliant.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    I see the Scotland Ladies team observing a minutes silence for the woman beater Maradona.

I hope they weren’t aware of it otherwise their skin must have been crawling.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    You don’t see anything wrong with the wording or positioning of their front page?

The day wasn’t about VAR, England or anything else (even if it had, the wording is shameful).. it was about the passing of arguably the greatest ever man to play the game.
    Arguably.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I see the Scotland Ladies team observing a minutes silence for the woman beater Maradona.

I hope they weren’t aware of it otherwise their skin must have been crawling.
    Good friends with Sean Connery.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post

RIP Diego.

Even more justified for the 'cheating' if you reference the sinking of the Belgrano.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Arguably.
    Yes, arguably. Completely agree - as I actually believe Messi is probably the best footballer ever (but didn’t want to start that debate :))

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I know that twitter has predictably attracted the lowest common denominator as usual, but I've been really impressed with the dignity and class shown by by 99%+ of the English people I have encountered on the subject either on tv or on the internet.

We obviously had a bit of fun with it in Scotland, but being on the receiving end of that handball goal would really have stung. See how deep some of the scars run regarding various poor decisions given against Hibs over the years.

For so many to have been able to put that to one side to acknowledge the passing of a flawed character who was revered by so many is, in my opinion to their great credit.

Particularly so given they are a nation who have done little to endear themselves to the outside world in recent years.

Gary Lineker in particular has impressed me with the stuff he's done with Maradona since then, and then in paying tribute last night. That's a guy who performed well enough to get the golden boot at a World Cup and be on the wrong end of something like that at the quarter final stage.

We need more folk who are able to talk, listen, think, understand and build bridges rather than just antagonise from behind anonymous internet pseudonyms.
    It's a fair point. Had that goal been awarded against Scotland at a World Cup would we hold the guy in quite such reverence?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Yes, arguably. Completely agree - as I actually believe Messi is probably the best footballer ever (but didn’t want to start that debate :))
    It was actually Gordon Smith according to many Hibs fans of a certain vintage

TBH I'd say Pele beats Maradona hands down in the greatest ever debate. Messi's also in with a shout (like Pele, his longevity at the top of his game has been remarkable) but at international level he never really displayed Maradona's magic.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i see argentinian prosecuters are investigating maradonas death with the polis raiding his doctors clinic and house

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Napoli rename their stadium

The Stadio San Paolo will now be known as the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Maradona:Goal Of The Century

I must admit I have always thought that Maradona’s second goal was an own goal by our very own Terry Butcher

This video from a different angle shows that it was definitely not the case

https://youtu.be/icBYJMZur2U

Quality

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

TBH I'd say Pele beats Maradona hands down in the greatest ever debate. Messi's also in with a shout (like Pele, his longevity at the top of his game has been remarkable) but at international level he never really displayed Maradona's magic.
    I think that's a bit unfair on Messi. He was only a Higuain sitter away from dragging a mostly mediocre Argentina to the 2014 world cup, which would have emulated Diego.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

Lucky to have seen both but think Pele is ahead. Took a small town club to World Club Champions twice and three world cups. For only being 5' 8" he was good in the air. Had an incredible football brain and capable of magical innovation.