hibs.net Messageboard

WATCH TURNBULLS TORNADOES DVD:History can repeat itself.

Losing 2 goals each of the last three games is a backward step.it is fair to give people time to develop a team but we are going backwards just now.
    We continue to make sloppy passes, clearing the ball out of defence straight back to the opposition far far too often and there remains a total lack of a driving midfield ..we all know we have too many similar players in that area and none coming close to J McGinn or Dylan.
    More of a concern though is the lack of strong leadership on the park.. a never say die attitude.we seem to turn up and hope to win rather than believe we will win.
    Yes I am spoilt having been a season ticket in the 70s and still one.Overlapping wingers, driving midfield players in abundance and solid back lines all in harmony..
    Have a watch of those days and see how we just might crawl back to somewhere near that level.
    Going backwards is not a good sign ..too many boring displays.
    Being positive we have started reasonable well by our recent lower standards but going in the wrong direction needs addressed in the transfer window...
    Come on Hibs show some belief.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Said on another thread that posters of a certain generation were truly blessed to have seen the Tornadoes

In fairness Eddie Turnbull at his height was probably the best Coach we have ever had

He knew what he was doing

He knew how he wanted us to play

He knew the players he wanted to carry out specific roles within the team and went out and got them

Most of the Tornadoes were already here when he arrived

What we saw last night was as far removed from the Tornadoes as you are likely to get

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Said on another thread that posters of a certain generation were truly blessed to have seen the Tornadoes

In fairness Eddie Turnbull at his height was probably the best Coach we have ever had

He knew the players he wanted to carry out specific roles within the team and went out and got them

What we saw last night was as far removed from the Tornadoes as you are likely to get
    The Tornadoes had a habit of dropping points teams below us in the league. They were great to watch but could also be frustrating at times. Nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    The Tornadoes had a habit of dropping points teams below us in the league. They were great to watch but could also be frustrating at times. Nothing changes.
    At least they had a system and they won more than they lost

From memory I think they only lost once or twice ?

Hadjuk Split and Dundee

We don’t seem to have a system it is hope for the best

Another poster posted last night asking what Jack Ross does with the players in Training as they look like a bunch of strangers

If you watch the Tornadoes DVD ET has them down the Jack Kane Centre defence versus attack, defending corners. coming out as a solid unit from defence, playing with one man down, going through Match Day scenarios, one touch. Drilling it into the players always play the ball out from the back

Oh and he knew his best team:

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 25-11-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Hadjuk Split and Dundee

Another poster posted last night asking what Jack Ross does with the players in Training as they look like a bunch of strangers

If you watch the Tornadoes DVD ET has them down the Jack Kane Centre defence versus attack, defending corners. coming out as a solid unit from defence, playing with one man down, going through Match Day scenarios, one touch. Drilling it into the players always play the ball out from the back

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

What a team 👏👏👏👏👏🇳🇬 Grew up watching these, never realised how lucky I was, thought all Hibs teams would always be on par, oh how I wish🙁

First Team Breakthrough
    Great posts.

In these drab troubled times, thinking back to that period of time when the Tornadoes were strutting their stuff
    God what a tonic!

One thing I would say about that time, and have always thought so, was during that period the club was surrounded by Hibs greats. I'm thinking of a board that included Jimmy Kerr Tommy Younger and of course ET himself. We had Jimmy McColl helping out, we had John Fraser coaching the first team. We had the ex players like Lawrie Reilly always there on match days. There were a raft of ex players helping out.

These people knew what Hibs were about.

When the book 100 Years of Hibs came out in 1975 Matt Busby in his foreward referred to us as "The Mighty Hibernian"

Sadly for a long time now, things have just been allowed to drift.

I hate to see this happening.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Hadjuk Split and Dundee

What a dismal post. Not everything has to be bashing the team and manager just now. Deeply dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    What a dismal post. Not everything has to be bashing the team and manager just now. Deeply dull.
    Simply answering a question

After all it is a football forum and we all have our opinions and I am sticking to mine

Quite happy for you to stick me on ignore if you don’t agree

I am also aware that there are many posters on here who unfortunately never witnessed the Tornadoes

Just hoping to pass on the benefit of my experience

As the OP says if we can learn from that great team and improve it is win win

Have a Merry Christmas

Onwards and upwards

Here here. Seems a large amount of folk are only happy when they have a right good moan. Sucks the life out of dot net which used to be a fun place with loads of good memories and great banter. Very strange considering we’re one point off third. Christ knows what it would be like if we were seventh or eighth. I hardly missed a tornadoes game but they have plenty bad games Arbroath in the cup being one and regular tanking by Celtic but I chose to remember the brilliant games like sporting Lisbon or 0-7.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 26-11-2020 at 09:22 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I grew up on tales of the tornadoes....

But **** me, it was 50 years ago!

We have had about 4 decent teams since then... which have invariably been broken up before actually achieving properly....

Its pretty crap we have to go so far back tbh

I think that starting XI only played 22 games and won 19. They only lost two, one away to sporting Lisbon then beat them 6-1 at home. The other was against Dundee.
    The last time they ever played together was against East Fife when John Brownlie suffered a broken leg.
    I once mentioned them to Terry Butcher when he was manager and was surprised that he could name that team.
    He was friendly with John Brownlie as they both coached together at Raith Rovers???
    Not sure if John regaled him with tales of the Tornadoes but he knew his stuff which surprised me.
    PS I saw every home game and some of the away games and you just knew they would win AND entertain. It was a privilege to have watched them.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Here here. Seems a large amount of folk are only happy when they have a right good moan. Sucks the life out of dot net which used to be a fun place with loads of good memories and great banter. Very strange considering we’re one point off third. Christ knows what it would be like if we were seventh or eighth. I hardly missed a tornadoes game but they have plenty bad games Arbroath in the cup being one and regular tanking by Celtic but I chose to remember the brilliant games like sporting Lisbon or 0-7.
    Agree

But I was taking the OPs point of being unable to pick out a green jersey with a pass, shambolic defending too many wrong options being taken all over the pitch and the lack of a leader on the pitch.

I doubt if JR even knows his strongest team

OK we are almost third but most fans would agree the football on offer ain’t pretty

2 points from the last two and it could easily have been six
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-11-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Hadjuk Split and Dundee

Find the TT era interesting. Wish I’d seen their derby dominance and European exploits. Been said numerous time on here, but it’s the level Hibs should always be aspiring to.

Coaching Staff

I was one of those that was blessed having seen the Tornadoes in all their pomp, in a way it spoiled me for the rest of my time supporting Hibs, but it was worth it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post
    Great posts.

In these drab troubled times, thinking back to that period of time when the Tornadoes were strutting their stuff
    God what a tonic!

One thing I would say about that time, and have always thought so, was during that period the club was surrounded by Hibs greats. I'm thinking of a board that included Jimmy Kerr Tommy Younger and of course ET himself. We had Jimmy McColl helping out, we had John Fraser coaching the first team. We had the ex players like Lawrie Reilly always there on match days. There were a raft of ex players helping out.

These people knew what Hibs were about.

When the book 100 Years of Hibs came out in 1975 Matt Busby in his foreward referred to us as "The Mighty Hibernian"

Sadly for a long time now, things have just been allowed to drift.

I hate to see this happening.

I agree with you, but I never saw them win the Scottish Cup.

It might be a dismal post which you consider deeply dull, but the most concerning thing is that it’s certainly not a million miles from the truth.

Could anyone say when " Tornadoes " started and finished ? ET became our manager in summer 1971 a year after Aberdeen had won SC with him as manager . We`d just had a bad season in league ( about 13th ) but had reached SC semi ,LC QF and been in Fairs Cup ( Europa League of time ) till December . When ET left us we were in decline and on the way to relegation . I`ve got great memories of beating Sporting Lisbon 6 v 1 and many other great matches when ET was our manager but also remember many disappointments in cups and league when he was in charge . So was " Tornadoes " period only 2 or 3 years of period when ET was our manager ?

Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post
    We had Jimmy McColl helping out, we had John Fraser coaching the first team.

Always fascinated by Jimmy McColl's career, probably our longest serving employee ever. (?)

. . Games Goals
    1913–1920 Celtic 165 (120)
    1913 → Peebles Rovers (loan) ? (?)
    1920–1921 Stoke 27 (5)
    1921–1922 Partick Thistle 35 (10)
    1922–1931 Hibernian 290 (130)
    1931–1932 Leith Athletic 14 (3)
    Total 531 (268)

First Hibs player to score 100 League goals for Hibs. He's the only personality to link three legendary Hibs teams, early 20's side, Famous Five and TT's.

This is a quite brilliant read.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...s/jimmy-mccoll

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Could anyone say when " Tornadoes " started and finished ?
    They usually started around 3 and finished about twenty to five.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Hadjuk Split and Dundee

From memory yer bum! Get yer heed out those books and out of that early 70s bubble. They never won nearly enough games. Halcyon days of course, lovely side, full of heroes and packed with internationalists and goals. My boyhood idols and all over my bedroom walls.
    Iconic. Revered. Nostalgia.

One trophy and probably about three good seasons. Blessed? Not at all.

Eddie butchered a team that was regularly massacred by Celtic in any case. Other big games against the Huns and in Europe they failed miserably. Then we were subjected to seasons of mediocrity getting knocked out of cups by part time squads followed by unthinkable relegation after the worst season you or I could possibly have witnessed by which time he had used that expert knowledge to enlist a crowd of plodders, has beens and chancers . ****ing awful. One away point all season if I’m right and barely many more at home. We’d have been as well playing our home games at the fabled Jack Kane. It took 10 years to get over that and once we recovered we started the decline all over again. And again. And then again.

More Hibbies watched the side 2015-2020 than watched them 1975-1980 I’m certain of that. And if we were allowed in today we’d still be getting bigger average home attendances now than anything you seen in those magical, mythical years of Eddie Turnbull much as we loved him and the era.

I sometimes wonder exactly what Hibs it was us old guys were watching unless you are at least into your 80s. I remember coming away from Dumfries and Montrose not knowing what had hit us and hundreds outside the main stand calling for the heads of Turnbull and Hart after Arbroath had emptied us. Certainly wasn’t much talk then about drills and one touch.

You’ve not seen better than a Scottish win, hardly any **** on here has! 1952 for Christ’s sake. Better sticking with our club for the right now while we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    From memory yer bum! Get yer heed out those books and out of that early 70s bubble. They never won nearly enough games. Halcyon days of course, lovely side, full of heroes and packed with internationalists and goals. My boyhood idols and all over my bedroom walls.
    Iconic. Revered. Nostalgia.

One trophy and probably about three good seasons. Blessed? Not at all.

Eddie butchered a team that was regularly massacred by Celtic in any case. Other big games against the Huns and in Europe they failed miserably. Then we were subjected to seasons of mediocrity getting knocked out of cups by part time squads followed by unthinkable relegation after the worst season you or I could possibly have witnessed by which time he had used that expert knowledge to enlist a crowd of plodders, has beens and chancers . ****ing awful. One away point all season if I’m right and barely many more at home. We’d have been as well playing our home games at the fabled Jack Kane. It took 10 years to get over that and once we recovered we started the decline all over again. And again. And then again.

More Hibbies watched the side 2015-2020 than watched them 1975-1980 I’m certain of that. And if we were allowed in today we’d still be getting bigger average home attendances now than anything you seen in those magical, mythical years of Eddie Turnbull much as we loved him and the era.

I sometimes wonder exactly what Hibs it was us old guys were watching unless you are at least into your 80s. I remember coming away from Dumfries and Montrose not knowing what had hit us and hundreds outside the main stand calling for the heads of Turnbull and Hart after Arbroath had emptied us. Certainly wasn’t much talk then about drills and one touch.

You’ve not seen better than a Scottish win, hardly any **** on here has! 1952 for Christ’s sake. Better sticking with our club for the right now while we can.
    The secret behind ET was his military background

He would repeat repeat and drill it into the players so much so that they all knew where they had to be standing in any given match day situation and doing it until it was perfect

It was all about passing and being comfortable on the ball

Would ET be happy with over hit and under hit passes ?

Passes behind players?

Passes out of the park and to opposition players?

Wrong choices made in the final third when we have a numerical advantage?

These players would be instantly hooked and dropped

The only time we lost a 2-0 lead versus Celtic the Tornadoes still had the strength of character to win

Would any of the Tornadoes say “ I have always wanted to play for Rangers” ?

Yes ET made mistakes and he broke up the team too soon but we were up against a very good Celtic side could compete with the cream of the EPL and I don’t remember any doings from Rangers

I suppose I have been spoiled and maybe expect too much and the Tornadoes ain’t coming back but the very least I expected was to beat a poor Hearts side in a semi final at Hampden and hang onto a two goal lead with 10 minutes to go against the worst Celtic side I can remember

Hoping sorry expecting a win today

Onwards and upwards

GGTTH

There is class, there is first class and then there is HIBS class!
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 28-11-2020 at 06:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post
    I grew up on tales of the tornadoes....

But **** me, it was 50 years ago!

We have had about 4 decent teams since then... which have invariably been broken up before actually achieving properly....

Its pretty crap we have to go so far back tbh
    No one ever mentions The Tornadoes winning the Scottish Cup!!!

Yes ET made mistakes and he broke up the team too soon but we were up against a very good Celtic side could compete with the cream of the EPL and I don’t remember any doings from Rangers

!

1973/74. It’ll be in a book somewhere. The Huns battered us.
    I seem to remember we got a few doings in Glasgow and also Turin and Split never to be forgotten. Before long we were getting skelped in places like Vaxjoe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–7...an_F.C._season

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    1973/74. It’ll be in a book somewhere. The Huns battered us.
    I seem to remember we got a few doings in Glasgow and also Turin and Split never to be forgotten. Before long we were getting skelped in places like Vaxjoe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–7...an_F.C._season
    ‘When the legend becomes fact print the legend’

Liberty Vallance

‘When the legend becomes fact print the legend’

Liberty Vallance

Who, of course, was shot down. And quite right too.