hibs.net Messageboard

Starting 11 when everyone is fit.

I’m aware this rarely happens in football and it depends on who we are playing and where

But what is our best team? For me there are a couple of variables;

Murphy and Boyle on form are two of our best players and should start, the issue is that Murphy can’t play left of a 352 so that leaves us with a 433/451 or 442.

Nisbet and Doidge play better with a partner with them as do most strikers, they also offer us a lot defensively and stop other teams playing out from the back and are handy at set pieces. Nisbet already has double figures and Doidge hit 20? Last season.

Centre of the park Gogic has been a revelation and added much needed defensive awareness. I’m aware that he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and whilst I’d love someone like him but also with the playmaker attributes they’re hard to come by. I think it goes a bit unnoticed just how many times he breaks up play, wins a header or regains possession for us and allows us to play.

But, if it’s a midfield 2/3 would Gogic be the in it ahead of say a middle 3 of Magennis, Newell and Allan? Would any of them offer enough defensively and who?

Ross certainly has a tough job on his hands picking a starting 11 as for me id always want the ball players in the starting 11 along with speed and directness.

..............Marciano..........

McGinn....Porteous....Hanlon....Mackie....

.......Magennis...Newelll...

Boyle..........Allan.............Murphy..

..................Nisbet......

Looks good to me on paper however historically I’ve never really liked us with 1 up top and think they look a bit isolated. I’d also worry we get overrun in the middle of the park.

McCrorie would have made a massive to the team as he offers Gogic defensive ability but also ability on the ball and a real drive about him. I think a player like him is the missing ingredient and hope we get similar in January.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    352. Stop trying to fit murphy into the team and get 3 in the middle, 2 up top and boyle in the position where he has been most consistent.

I wasn't fussed at the time having not seen much of him but agree mcrorie would have been an excellent signing. He would play every game and allow gogic to be taken out games he is not suited to. I don't think it was ever on but a shame we couldn't entice docherty back either.

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    352. Stop trying to fit murphy into the team and get 3 in the middle, 2 up top and boyle in the position where he has been most consistent.

I wasn't fussed at the time having not seen much of him but agree mcrorie would have been an excellent signing. He would play every game and allow gogic to be taken out games he is not suited to. I don't think it was ever on but a shame we couldn't entice docherty back either.
    Stop trying to fit in our most talented player, you make sure you have a tactic that ensures he plays 433 or 4231.

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post

Him and Nisbet are the first names on the team sheet. The fact out manager admitted we fell out the game the other day due to sticking Boyle at right wing back to go 3-5-2 and moving Murphy central tells me it won’t happen again.

Same team as Wednesday but Allan in for Mallan and Magennis in for Gogic would be about as strong as we have. Harsh on Doidge but it’s far more balanced and fluid.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    ​Marciano
    McGinn Porteous Hanlon Mackie
    KM Gogic Newall
    Boyle Nesbit Murphy

4-3-3 is something thats working for Rangers this season, I think with the right players in their correct positions we could make it work with the above. I'd have Mackie in over LS, he seems to have come on a lot this season, the rest of the defence picks itself. Gogic covering means the more creative players can go and do what they do best. When attacking we essentially have 5 players in advanced positions, plus full backs getting forward.

Trying to have a 2 in the midfield just doesn't work with our current squad. Gogic isn't inventive enough and Newall isn't good enough defensively.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Him and Nisbet are the first names on the team sheet. The fact out manager admitted we fell out the game the other day due to sticking Boyle at right wing back to go 3-5-2 and moving Murphy central tells me it won’t happen again.

Same team as Wednesday but Allan in for Mallan and Magennis in for Gogic would be about as strong as we have. Harsh on Doidge but it’s far more balanced and fluid.
    Didn't hear his interview but I thought it was more the changes celtic made that changed the game.

I would be more concerned about us missing rocky, hanlon, porteous, newell or nisbet than murphy but take your point that he has been playing well. I just think 352 better suits our other players.