hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Mallan - Discuss

I know this has been played out a million times on here, but as always a few games can change folks opinions on players.

I have always liked Mallan, but in the past few years I don’t think he has grown as a player.

Still rushes to take any set piece, which when they go in are great but more often than not I feel he delivers a poor cross or shot.

Opposition teams have his number when it comes to his long distance shooting, so he rarely gets a chance to let fly.

Defensively I think he is very poor, his timing for tackles and attempts to win aerial battles leave a lot to be desired and I genuinely feel that he is very anonymous in most games now.

I understand that with Doidge being out it gave us the opportunity to play Mallan in there with Newell, Gogic, Boyle and Murphy, but I think we have played better with 2 up top and the wide men supporting, rather than 1 up top and Mallan in behind.

Feel free to change my mind.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I don’t think there are many on here that still think Stevie is going to work out at Hibs. Personally, I think the positives he provides are far outweighed by his glaring weaknesses.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this has been played out a million times on here, but as always a few games can change folks opinions on players.

I have always liked Mallan, but in the past few years I don’t think he has grown as a player.

Still rushes to take any set piece, which when they go in are great but more often than not I feel he delivers a poor cross or shot.

Opposition teams have his number when it comes to his long distance shooting, so he rarely gets a chance to let fly.

Defensively I think he is very poor, his timing for tackles and attempts to win aerial battles leave a lot to be desired and I genuinely feel that he is very anonymous in most games now.

I understand that with Doidge being out it gave us the opportunity to play Mallan in there with Newell, Gogic, Boyle and Murphy, but I think we have played better with 2 up top and the wide men supporting, rather than 1 up top and Mallan in behind.

Feel free to change my mind.
    Also the fact that he is incredibly slow.

St Johnstone player jogged away from him with the ball last night.

I’m not sure if he’s carrying a bit extra weight but he doesn’t look overly mobile just now

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Mallan isn't afraid to mix it, the problem is that he's crap at tackling. When he was playing a wee bit deeper under Heckingbottom he was picking up a booking a game - nothing malicious, just badly timed tackles.

Take that to conditions and a surface like last night and he's frightened to challenge as he knows he'll probably get sent off - therefore he becomes a "passenger".

I don't know why he takes corners with Newell sitting at the edge of the box - I'd inverse the roles every time.

Stevie Mallan isn't the worst midfielder we've witnessed playing for Hibs but he isn't the best either.

He is neat and tidy on the ball and is a capable passer.

He couldn't tackle a fish supper but at least he is now committing some niggly fouls rather than letting folk ghost away from him.

He's not the tallest either but it doesn't stop him from trying to compete in the air.

He has proven himself capable as a goal scoring midfielder however I don't think the system we play allows him to take advantage of that part of his game often enough, but I don't think he is consistent enough to alter the shape purely to suit him.

Overall I get frustrated because I think he should be doing more but the same could be said of Boyle who sometimes struggles to make an impact.

Joe Newell is about the most consistent central midfielder we have currently and even he can struggle.

I think Mallan has gone as far as he can based on what he has to offer and it's not from a lack of effort but sometimes that's just the facts.

He's not the worst but he's never going to quite hit the heights we'd all like him to.

Sent from my CPH1931 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Nowhere near as bad a player as some people make out. He’s playing poorly, in a midfield that’s playing poorly, but he’s got a decent amount of ability. I’d far rather have Scott Allan in there, but that’s not an option just now.

There were loads of folk on Hibs.net that thought Fraser Murray was worthy of a place in the team, before we sent him out to Dunfermline, but Mallan is miles ahead of him.

Can’t argue against the fact that he’s not playing well at all just now though.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Mallan isn't afraid to mix it, the problem is that he's crap at tackling. When he was playing a wee bit deeper under Heckingbottom he was picking up a booking a game - nothing malicious, just badly timed tackles.

Take that to conditions and a surface like last night and he's frightened to challenge as he knows he'll probably get sent off - therefore he becomes a "passenger".

I don't know why he takes corners with Newell sitting at the edge of the box - I'd inverse the roles every time.
    It wasn’t even about his tackling last night. His passing was horrendous. He gave the ball away more times than he found a hibs jersey. Definitely one to forget for him last night & time is running out for us to wait on him making his mark here

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    He’s definitely regressed since we signed him.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 07BigD View Post
    Stevie Mallan isn't the worst midfielder we've witnessed playing for Hibs but he isn't the best either.

He is neat and tidy on the ball and is a capable passer.

He couldn't tackle a fish supper but at least he is now committing some niggly fouls rather than letting folk ghost away from him.

He's not the tallest either but it doesn't stop him from trying to compete in the air.

He has proven himself capable as a goal scoring midfielder however I don't think the system we play allows him to take advantage of that part of his game often enough, but I don't think he is consistent enough to alter the shape purely to suit him.

Overall I get frustrated because I think he should be doing more but the same could be said of Boyle who sometimes struggles to make an impact.

Joe Newell is about the most consistent central midfielder we have currently and even he can struggle.

I think Mallan has gone as far as he can based on what he has to offer and it's not from a lack of effort but sometimes that's just the facts.

He's not the worst but he's never going to quite hit the heights we'd all like him to.

If we could bring on a placekicker and then take them back off again Mallan would be ideal.

He would also be very good in a team that dominated possession and that sat back of him and let him ping world cup passes all over the park and shoot from distance, where in my lifetime only Sauzee compares.

As it is a long time since I have seen a Hibs team dominate possession or teams sit off us, Mallan is not at all what we require at present and I doubt he ever will be.

if you press this hibs team, you will see a lot of possession given up.

I actually feel sorry for him, he cant run worth a damn, so consequently cant track a runner, is usually caught the wrong side but cant tackle anyway so it wouldn't matter.

I would imagine he comes off every game really frustrated, to me he is like the old guy in your 5 a side team who has lost his legs, can still play a bit but is just too off it to be effective.

I doubt that Ross's system suits him at all and cant for the life of me think why we persist, I get he is recently back from long term injury but the faults above were evident long before that injury.

Zero excuse about his position now. He played there last night, was responsible for creating for us, and was hopeless.

I don't see it at all. He hasn't even scored a free kick in 2 years.

Last night should have been the perfect game for Mallan to show what he can do. With the extra body in midfield he wasn’t restricted in terms of getting forward or about the pitch. However, he continually gave the ball away. Free kick he had first half, where he couldn’t have hand picked a better position for himself, summed his performance up.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    If we could bring on a placekicker and then take them back off again Mallan would be ideal.

He would also be very good in a team that dominated possession and that sat back of him and let him ping world cup passes all over the park and shoot from distance, where in my lifetime only Sauzee compares.

As it is a long time since I have seen a Hibs team dominate possession or teams sit off us, Mallan is not at all what we require at present and I doubt he ever will be.

if you press this hibs team, you will see a lot of possession given up.

I actually feel sorry for him, he cant run worth a damn, so consequently cant track a runner, is usually caught the wrong side but cant tackle anyway so it wouldn't matter.

I would imagine he comes off every game really frustrated, to me he is like the old guy in your 5 a side team who has lost his legs, can still play a bit but is just too off it to be effective.

I doubt that Ross's system suits him at all and cant for the life of me think why we persist, I get he is recently back from long term injury but the faults above were evident long before that injury.
    have you been watching me play recently? He does look unhappy at how things are going.

He's a limited footballer and doesn't bring anything different from Newall. His lack of physicality and energy make him ineffectual when we lose possession. He takes a decent dead ball but I dont think you can have him and Newall in the same 11 if we want to be our most effective. We had the same issue with Allan / Mallan. We cannot have 2 players in the middle of the park who wont run box to box and win the ball back for us.
    Decent squad player but id expect his time to be limited if we have a bigger squad after Jan.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think he’s a player we will always be waiting on to come good. He might end up a late developer but I don’t think he’ll ever develop the other parts of his game to match his technical ability and have the career that befits his technique which you simply can’t teach.

We’re well past time to move him on and use the money as party of the midfield rebuild IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Zero excuse about his position now. He played there last night, was responsible for creating for us, and was hopeless.

I don't see it at all. He hasn't even scored a free kick in 2 years.
    I agree he is not the answer to our problems but neither are Hallberg, Wright or Magennis so far. A bit harsh on Magennis due to lack of opportunity in his"favoured position" so far but I think you get my point.

I agree he is not the answer to our problems but neither are Hallberg, Wright or Magennis so far. A bit harsh on Magennis due to lack of opportunity in his"favoured position" so far but I think you get my point.

Allan is the answer. 10x the player Mallan is. I'm hoping the few who thought otherwise see that now.

A Match of the Day player. Great at 40 yard switch of plays and the odd set piece but no pace, can't challenge in the air, can't tackle, and no strength. You have to be a bloody good technical player if you can get away with not having those attributes.

He'll be sold in the summer I think.

Had enough chances. He's just not very good.

Time for him to move on and probably come back to haunt us.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Absolutely. Whilst I think Mallan should be moved on as well I’d be in much more of a hurry to move on Hallberg who’s had plenty chances and Wright who to be honest looks nowhere near good enough.

Magennis of course needs a chance to get a run but I’m not really sure he’ll work out either. Seems injury prone and we don’t seem to have a clue where he plays.

Praying Allan returns as we really need him.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Allan is the answer. 10x the player Mallan is. I'm hoping the few who thought otherwise see that now.
    You’re spot on.

I’m glad we’re getting a chance to see what Mallan can do in that position as it would have been harsh to write him off altogether without getting at least a few games.

He did well on Saturday, in a game where the opposition were more likely to be bothered about what they were doing over what we were doing. That rarely happens in this league though.

Mallan has been too big a part of too many ineffectual team midfield performances for me, and he hasn’t even played that much.

I like the guy, attitude is spot on and effort levels can’t be questioned. I just think he’s trapped in a body that isn’t athletic enough to make sufficient impact on games and it horribly undermines the decent attributes he has.

I don’t like to be critical but he just doesn’t do it for me, at all.

He should have been moved on already if you ask me, but I don't see who would take him in their side?

A lower premiership club is probably his level, but I'd be surprised if any of them could get away with a player who has such glaring defensive deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    You’re spot on.

Mallan has been too big a part of too many ineffectual team midfield performances for me
    Spot on, this part for me is the biggest red flag against Mallan, and it looks like more and more people are finally seeing the light.

I like him but accept that he has not fulfilled his early promise, from both as a youngster at St Mirren and his first season or so with us. But he is still a decent enough player who has found his mediocre SPL level in a mediocre Hibs midfield which tbh is what we have at the moment. He is fine if we just want to be a mid-table team drawing with the likes of St Johnstone. Squad player only if we are serious about challenging for 3rd. If he was playing elsewhere at somewhere like Dunfermline we'd probably all be saying get him signed.

How many years left on his contract now?

@hibs.net private member
    Not for one second denying that he is trying his best but if it wasn’t for his ability to chip in with the occasional wonder strike he’d be employed by a championship club.

He's a good player and has scored some stunning goals for us, but his defensive frailties have been reasonably highlighted on here. It's not for a lack of effort, it's really down to his physique, speed and agility. I believe he was the most dribbled past midfielder (it might have been player) in the league a season or two back, I can't imagine those metrics have improved all that much.

I don't think the rest of the team is defensively strong enough to have Mallan in the midfield on a regular basis. Certainly not as 1 of 2. I'm not sure many teams are, mind you.

We play two strikers OR Mallan, IMO.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 25-11-2020 at 09:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Just not good enough. The guy has some passing and shooting ability but really cannot run.

Too frequently beaten to loose balls and overrun.

His lack of athleticism is unfortunate but I think many fans could out run him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Runs like a dressage horse, is slow, no positional awareness and can’t tackle. Chips in with the odd spectacular goal but is generally a liability.

Hopefully he’ll not be a first pick long term or we’ll tumble down the league if he stays in the team.

@hibs.net private member
    He's only playing because we have nobody better. Says it all really.

Don’t think he’s as bad as people make him out to be.