hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it incredible the number of people saying that we're not a top 6 side and we don't have top 6 players when we're currently sitting 3rd/4th.
    Who has said “we’re not a top 6 side and don’t have top 6 players”?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Who has said “we’re not a top 6 side and don’t have top 6 players”?
    There have been plenty posts throughout the board since last night saying those sort of things.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    There have been plenty posts throughout the board since last night saying those sort of things.
    Can’t say I’ve seen any posts saying we don’t have top 6 players or that we aren’t a top 6 side. Sounds like hyperbole to me. I’ve seen folk say we’ll end up in the bottom 6 if our current form continues, or that Mallan is bottom six standard, neither of which I necessarily agree with, but that’s not the same as saying we don’t have top 6 players or aren’t a top 6 side IMO.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I’ve not seen them? Not saying they’re not there but they must be pretty few and far between?

I think there’s people saying we’re not a top 3 side just now, while the league table at present would say otherwise i think people are predicting we won’t stay there for long.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    15th September 2018, not sure how many free kicks he has taken since.

He has scored 13 goals since then though, not sure how many players have scored more in that time.
    It’s not just about scoring goals though is it. How many goals have we conceded because our midfield is so powderpuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    It’s not just about scoring goals though is it. How many goals have we conceded because our midfield is so powderpuff?
    Thought that was why Gogic was brought in tbh, if we played with 3 Gogic’s in midfield we wouldn’t score as many goals.

I understand where folk are coming from in regards to his defending, it’s not great, but I think he offers us a lot in other areas which makes him a valuable squad member.

Greg Doherty is someone I thought could defend and attack well, I would take him over Mallan.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Quick comparison between him and Allan in all competitions played for Hibs:

Mallan-

6,749 mins
    20 goals
    17 assists

Allan-

7,505 mins
    16 goals
    34 assists

Not terrible reading considering over 3,000 minutes Allan played for us were when we were playing in the Championship.

Don’t get me wrong, I would start Allan over Mallan when both fit but I think Mallan hasn’t done bad for us at all.
    Allan actually exists outside of those stats, though. Mallan doesn't.

Id like to see him as a CF in a 4-4-1-1 if Doidge is out. I honestly think he could re-invent himself there

He was undeniably a passenger last night though. He has the kind of pedigree you would imagine that a Motherwell or St Johnstone would be really happy to get him, so if we could look to get a swap deal for Ali McCann or Alan Campbell plus some cash I'd imagine I really wouldn't mind losing him.

@hibs.net private member
    What are your thoughts on Allan or Murphy. Off the ball I would say Mallan is better than Allan and both are a good deal ahead of Murphy. I would say Allan is quite similar to Mallan's performance last night more games than not. When Allan is hot he is exceptional but that is the exception in my view. Murphy has also been very poor in a few games too. It is what these types of players tend to be like. Allan probably loses good possession more than any Hibs player I can remember. That is because he looks for a goal scoring pass way more than the vast majority of players. When it works great but most of the time he gives really promising possession straight to the opposition. Mallan plays it simpler more often and to me has better decision making than Allan, not last night he was just dire.

Newall to me is capable of playing defence splitting passes as well as working hard and doing reasonably well off the ball. Having Newall, Mallan and Murphy in a midfield is asking a lot of Gogic particularly when Boyle has been nowhere near as good defensively as he was a few years back. Boyle has the energy though to get back.

My view is that Mallan, Allan and Murphy all have their place in the squad. I don't think you can play two of them in the team if Newall and Boyle are in there too though, unless chasing a game. Magennis hopefully the piece we are missing and the middle is covered with Magennis, Gogic and then one of the more creative players. That is the type of blend we had with SJM, Dylan and Allan albeit Gogic is not as good a ball player as McGough but makes up for that defensively

QUOTE=gaz1875;6364639]I was involved in a wee debate last week about Mallan and replied "Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different" Quite a few defended him which is fine everyone to their own, unfortunately maybe I am just tuned into look for the effort he puts in, rather than what he contributes.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    I know this has been played out a million times on here, but as always a few games can change folks opinions on players.

I have always liked Mallan, but in the past few years I don’t think he has grown as a player.

Still rushes to take any set piece, which when they go in are great but more often than not I feel he delivers a poor cross or shot.

Opposition teams have his number when it comes to his long distance shooting, so he rarely gets a chance to let fly.

Defensively I think he is very poor, his timing for tackles and attempts to win aerial battles leave a lot to be desired and I genuinely feel that he is very anonymous in most games now.

I understand that with Doidge being out it gave us the opportunity to play Mallan in there with Newell, Gogic, Boyle and Murphy, but I think we have played better with 2 up top and the wide men supporting, rather than 1 up top and Mallan in behind.

Feel free to change my mind.
    Not last night, at least twice it opened up for him and he didn't take the shot on which really surprised me ... the one time he did his shot was way off target, but I would rather see a player have a go and miss than not have a go at all, especially one we know is capable of scoring from distance.

Overall though Stevie Mallan is definitely in the 'replaceable' category, he just doesn't bring enough to the team in overall play .... It's a shame we don't have a system like American football where he could be brought on just for corners and free kicks ... but we don't so I can't help thinking his time at ER will be limited.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Hibs View Post
    He was undeniably a passenger last night though. He has the kind of pedigree you would imagine that a Motherwell or St Johnstone would be really happy to get him, so if we could look to get a swap deal for Ali McCann or Alan Campbell plus some cash I'd imagine I really wouldn't mind losing him.
    Genuine question - is that based on McCanns performance in one game against us? Or something more substantial.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    What are your thoughts on Allan or Murphy. Off the ball I would say Mallan is better than Allan and both are a good deal ahead of Murphy. I would say Allan is quite similar to Mallan's performance last night more games than not. When Allan is hot he is exceptional but that is the exception in my view. Murphy has also been very poor in a few games too. It is what these types of players tend to be like. Allan probably loses good possession more than any Hibs player I can remember. That is because he looks for a goal scoring pass way more than the vast majority of players. When it works great but most of the time he gives really promising possession straight to the opposition. Mallan plays it simpler more often and to me has better decision making than Allan, not last night he was just dire.

Newall to me is capable of playing defence splitting passes as well as working hard and doing reasonably well off the ball. Having Newall, Mallan and Murphy in a midfield is asking a lot of Gogic particularly when Boyle has been nowhere near as good defensively as he was a few years back. Boyle has the energy though to get back.

My view is that Mallan, Allan and Murphy all have their place in the squad. I don't think you can play two of them in the team if Newall and Boyle are in there too though, unless chasing a game. Magennis hopefully the piece we are missing and the middle is covered with Magennis, Gogic and then one of the more creative players. That is the type of blend we had with SJM, Dylan and Allan albeit Gogic is not as good a ball player as McGough but makes up for that defensively

QUOTE=gaz1875;6364639]I was involved in a wee debate last week about Mallan and replied "Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different" Quite a few defended him which is fine everyone to their own, unfortunately maybe I am just tuned into look for the effort he puts in, rather than what he contributes.
    [/QUOTE]

Really not sure why you are bringing Murphy into this debate. Aside from one error at Pittodrie his defensive work has been very sound IMO.

We’ve had plenty of clean sheets playing Murphy, Newell, Gogic and Boyle in a 4.

Regarding Mallan, I would agree that his time is up. We did great IMO to get Murphy in to replace Horgan and probably save/receive money. If we can repeat the trick with Mallan we’ll be doing well.

@hibs.net private member
    Really not sure why you are bringing Murphy into this debate. Aside from one error at Pittodrie his defensive work has been very sound IMO.

We’ve had plenty of clean sheets playing Murphy, Newell, Gogic and Boyle in a 4.

Regarding Mallan, I would agree that his time is up. We did great IMO to get Murphy in to replace Horgan and probably save/receive money. If we can repeat the trick with Mallan we’ll be doing well.[/QUOTE]

Looking at the stats for goals scored when he is on the pitch it look pretty similar to when Mallan is on the pitch from what I can see. My point is more about his general defending ability and players playing that far up the park can stop potential attacks before they get going. Nisbet is excellent at that and Doidge pretty good too. Boyler and Murphy far less so. I bring him into the debate as he has great talent like Allan and Mallan but in my view he is terrible defensively, worse than the other two imo.

Reminds me a lot of Danny Swanson.. Great footballer on his day... Great talent but unfortunately not complete enough to be a success at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Personally think Mallan is a very good player and offers something a bit different. Probably more of a squad player however offers a goal threat and also a bit of quality from set pieces. Think he gets a bit of a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Personally think Mallan is a very good player and offers something a bit different. Probably more of a squad player however offers a goal threat and also a bit of quality from set pieces. Think he gets a bit of a hard time.
    He offers a goal threat, no doubt. I don't think he offers anything else, though. Set pieces have been abysmal for 2 years. He has scored as many free kicks for St Mirren at Easter road, as he has for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He offers a goal threat, no doubt. I don't think he offers anything else, though. Set pieces have been abysmal for 2 years. He has scored as many free kicks for St Mirren at Easter road, as he has for Hibs.
    Puts in decent decent corners and free kicks also.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post

QUOTE=gaz1875;6364639]I was involved in a wee debate last week about Mallan and replied "Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different" Quite a few defended him which is fine everyone to their own, unfortunately maybe I am just tuned into look for the effort he puts in, rather than what he contributes.
    [/QUOTE]

Allan and Mallan both do lack pace and not the best at tracking or tackling, so both need to be in a midfield where at least 2 others who are doing the dirty work, and leaving them to do the defence splitting passes (Allan) or shooting from the edge of the box (Mallan), playing them with one grafter leaves us way to light weight and off the pace in the middle.

Murphy you can't put in their range I don't think. In the very few games he has played he's probably been or close to MOM in the games he's played. Without tempting fate, I don't think I have seen a Hibs player ghost past players like he has shown for many years. Yesterday on a number of occasions he was easily drifting past players not with pace but skill. He could be a proper edge of the seat winger, unlike Boyle who only has speed and it's hit or miss if he can keep on his feet when running at defenders. The compromise with Murphy is he's not the best at tracking back either, Mackie could be a good back up behind him which leaves him to do the entertaining.

Like you I hope Magennis is the missing midfield link, and maybe a midfield of Gogic, Newell & Magennis with the two wide players would be and interesting formation.

I’m not a huge fan of Stevie Mallan as I think it’s hard to get a balanced midfield with him in it. He has some great qualities with his passing, shooting and scores more than his fair share of goals. He will always give 100% when playing and doesn’t shirk his responsibilities. It’s his lack of height and physical abilities that cause such an imbalance. He is so slow and must be one of the slowest players in the league. I’ve often seen him chase players back and they are running with the ball yet still pulling away from him. He is short and cannot jump so either fouls or loses the challenge. His tackling is poor and often mistimed so ends up giving fouls away.
    At the end of the day it’s a balancing act. Jack Ross has to weigh up how each player fits into the system and what their flaws and strengths are and how it will all knit together and work against the opposition. I feel his weaknesses outweigh his positive contribution to the unit but Jack Ross is more knowledgeable on football than I am and selects him. If he contributes nothing all game bar a well struck goal but the rest of the team cover his deficiencies and keep a clean sheet then his inclusion is merited. All our team have deficiencies in their game. It’s just some players stick out more than others.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Stood out in a poor St Mirren and got a decent move to England, I think he's regressed since his 1st season, last night his passing which is generally good was very poor, hate to say it but he may just be bottom 6 level.
    You appear to be correct as Hibs finished 7th last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    You appear to be correct as Hibs finished 7th last season.
    We finished 4th before we signed him

For me Stevie Mallan was bought (yes, bought) for a sum of money that at our level of football you would look to see a return on the investment either by selling on for a profit or by contributing substantially on the field. For the past 18 months he hasn't contributed substantially on the field for me. His first season he had a lovely eye for goal that outweighed the shortcomings he had, but with 4 league goals since the start of last season he's now barely a even a goal threat for us against Premiership sides.

I think if there isn't an upturn in Mallan's form at the club I would consider not renewing his contract.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    When Stevie Mallan was eighteen he scored a terrific goal for St. Mirren against Dundee where he won the ball in midfield, drove at the defence, twisted and turned beat four men in the process, set himself up to shoot and scored. Footage is on YouTube with the headline Teenage Sensation Scores Wonder Goal or similar. What has happened to the boy? His performances at the moment seem flat, is he fit or lacking confidence? The St. Mirren manager at that time wasn't Jack Ross and the side also contained John McGinn. Puzzling.
    Last edited by Inconsequential; 26-11-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: ERROR

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    When Stevie Mallan was eighteen he scored a terrific goal for St. Mirren against Dundee where he won the ball in midfield, drove at the defence, twisted and turned beat four men in the process, set himself up to shoot and scored. Footage is on YouTube with the headline Teenage Sensation Scores Wonder Goal or similar. What has happened to the boy? His performances at the moment seem flat, is he fit or lacking confidence? The St. Mirren manager at that time was Jack Ross and the side also contained John McGinn. Puzzling.
    That goal was scored 2 years before Ross was manager. McGinn left 1 year before Ross was manager. Think you're mixed up a bit.

There are some players who pull on a Hibs jersey who you just know are not good enough if we have ambition beyond mediocrity. Mallan is one such player. His shooting ability is better than anyone else at the club, but that is simply not enough to mask his limitations as a footballer. Cannot tackle to help himself, passing is average, awareness is poor, not quick, not a great engine. Under pressure, is too often caught in possession giving the opposition the chance to break on our back line.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That goal was scored 2 years before Ross was manager. McGinn left 1 year before Ross was manager. Think you're mixed up a bit.
    Aye, but it added some drama to the post!

Me mixed up? Never!

Still a great goal however....