hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Games would be a lot more entertaining as Hibs supporters if we had a bit more energy in midfield. We don't press the opposition effectively , so we don't dominate the centre of the pitch.

I think we need that, I think Magennis has that and I would like another player in January that has that too.

Without wanting to turn into St Mirren, the only player I can think of standing out against us in that respect is Ethan Erhahon, who is out of contract at the end of the season. Given our abundance of technical attacking mids, I wonder if we could tempt them with Mallan in January.
    The lack of energy in the centre is by a country mile the biggest bug bear I have with this team. We’ve a painfully un-athletic centre midfield.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I've seen some boring Hibs teams in my time and plenty teams that have played awful football.

This team just isn't one of those and I'm surprised at the amount of times these things are now being repeated.

As for the season, it wasn't too long ago we were convinced that we were going to have to sell Boyle and Porteous to survive and we were going to be ditching the Academy and making most of our coaches redundant. Instead we have been able to sign the likes of Nisbet and Magennis for cash. I'm just going to enjoy it as much as I can from home before we really get back into it next year. We are pretty much where I would hope we would be and I fully expect us to be thereabout for getting probably 4th place which in any recent measure is pretty good for us.

We are trying to play the right way, doesn't always work but there's no way this team are playing eye bleeding or boring football.
    Agree with all of that Andy.

It's not so long ago folks were saying after wins away to Dundee Utd and St.Johnstone how great it was to win and we would have lost these games under other managers. Now the same people are saying it is boring.

I don't think Hibs are bad and certainly better than last season when fans were present. Lots have short memories, I can remember games from last season when we were awful at Easter Road.

I try to enjoy it in the house but it's nowhere near the same as being at the game. It's not just fans though, players, managers, officials and journalists all find it difficult and think the same.

I'm hoping that we will pick up more points shortly, in the second set of fixtures we still have to play St.Mirren, Ross County, Livingston and Dundee United at home and Motherwell, Hamilton and Rangers away. Some people are pointing out that Dundee Utd are getting near us but they still have to play Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Kilmarnock for a second time.

Hang in there folks, better times ahead.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    The lack of energy in the centre is by a country mile the biggest bug bear I have with this team. We’ve a painfully un-athletic centre midfield.
    Under Lennon we signed a lot of technically gifted players, but not enough athletes. I think he believed he could turn them into competitors. Horgan, Swanson, Mallan, Allan, Hyndman, Commons, all midfielders who can't do 90 minutes. He's got the same problem at celtic now in my opinion. The legacy is still here though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

It's not so long ago folks were saying after wins away to Dundee Utd and St.Johnstone how great it was to win and we would have lost these games under other managers. Now the same people are saying it is boring.

I don't think Hibs are bad and certainly better than last season when fans were present. Lots have short memories, I can remember games from last season when we were awful at Easter Road.

I try to enjoy it in the house but it's nowhere near the same as being at the game. It's not just fans though, players, managers, officials and journalists all find it difficult and think the same.

I'm hoping that we will pick up more points shortly, in the second set of fixtures we still have to play St.Mirren, Ross County, Livingston and Dundee United at home and Motherwell, Hamilton and Rangers away. Some people are pointing out that Dundee Utd are getting near us but they still have to play Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Kilmarnock for a second time.

Wish there was a like button.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Thank you kind sir.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Seriously? You are glad you aren't there? Might be time to find alternative interests.
    'We' I said.

Can you recommend anything that's entertaining?
    Last edited by Coco Bryce; 25-11-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    'We' I said.

Can you recommend anything that's entertaining?
    Maybe watch a team that's scored 8 goals in their lastc3 games?

We drew with Rangers by pressing high but for some reason never do it often enough against other teams, we have inconsistent players and one of the reasons they're here and not at a bigger club. Players dont move to give options, so it ends up lumped forward to Doidge or Nisbet who'll lose the aerial battle and we lose the ball. We also lack creativity, we were spoiled by having McGinn, Dylan and Allan and although we've tried, we can't get near that quality again.

Left by mutual consent!
    As others have said, it truly is not being there that is boring me. Football is all about the day out, I’ve gone to bed after defeats feeling better about Hibs than I did last night. It’s not that I blame the club, I don’t think there’s much they can do, I just think it’s a total apathy on my behalf as the whole thing feels a bit like a TV show, I feel totally removed from it.

Hopefully we finish as high as possible this season and then the excitement kicks in again once we’re allowed back into stadiums (and I mean properly, none of this reduced capacity, no singing pish)

For what it’s worth though, don’t think this Hibs team are particularly boring to watch, seen much, much worse in my time going to matches

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Under Lennon we signed a lot of technically gifted players, but not enough athletes. I think he believed he could turn them into competitors. Horgan, Swanson, Mallan, Allan, Hyndman, Commons, all midfielders who can't do 90 minutes. He's got the same problem at celtic now in my opinion. The legacy is still here though.
    Yup. We’ve had the same issue since the midfield Stubbs assembled. It needs rectified ASAP. 3 managers so far haven’t managed. Having legs in midfield is a necessity in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Yup. We’ve had the same issue since the midfield Stubbs assembled. It needs rectified ASAP. 3 managers so far haven’t managed. Having legs in midfield is a necessity in Scotland.
    This probably goes against general opinion, but I think we do have legs in the middle of the park. Gogic, isn’t really what I expected to be honest. He doesn’t just sit which I thought he would, he’s all about the pitch. Newell gets about the pitch as well.

I think the bigger issue is footballing ability. Nobody has the ability to take the ball from our centre halves and get us playing. We lack composure in the middle of the park when we’re under pressure which results in too many rushed, misplaced passes like we saw last night.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This probably goes against general opinion, but I think we do have legs in the middle of the park. Gogic, isn’t really what I expected to be honest. He doesn’t just sit which I thought he would, he’s all about the pitch. Newell gets about the pitch as well.

I think the bigger issue is footballing ability. Nobody has the ability to take the ball from our centre halves and get us playing. We lack composure in the middle of the park when we’re under pressure which results in too many rushed, misplaced passes like we saw last night.
    Screaming out for a Dylan type player

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Totally agree

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Gogic is quite athletic, but his best asset is screening the defence and cutting out passes. I don't think we get the best out of him if he's operating in the opposition half.

Again, narrow and synthetic pitches, he'll swallow the opposition attack. If you're looking to press the opposition high up the pitch, or stretch a game on a big pitch, he won't be as effective. We had the same issue with Bartley.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Screaming out for a Dylan type player
    I agree, but I also think Dylan playing CM last night would have got incredibly frustrated at what was going on around him.

McGinn would have been more likely to have powered us through, a bit easy and trite to say something like that though.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Second that.

Dont understand what all the fuss is about - Hibs are clearly a work in progress (arent we always?) but are doing fine, and are about where id expect us to be at the moment.

As for great football, its nice to have an i enjoy it when we see it, but id take more pragmatic and more successful, a la Aberdeen.

Coaching Staff
    Anyone that thinks Jack Ross's Hibs are boring, should have sat with me through years of Alex Miller's hibs.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    My own opinion is that there's been a massive over-reaction recently, obviously not helped by losing the semi and then a really poor performance in Aberdeen. I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as is being made out, and while I can't argue with people saying that they're bored, for me I put that down to watching games with literally no atmosphere on tv. I think if we'd watched that game last night with a crowd there and with us all in the stadium, we'd have a)seen a better performance and b) been happier with what we'd seen because we'd have gone through the highs and lows of the match with greater attachment.

Football in general is pretty guff at the moment, and without the highs of a significant victory the other results aren't giving much emotional satisfaction.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Going over old ground but Miller built some decent teams in his time with us.

The Rangers semi before we won the cup was an amazing night, one of my favs as a Hibs fan, and in no way could be described as boring!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    My own opinion is that there's been a massive over-reaction recently, obviously not helped by losing the semi and then a really poor performance in Aberdeen. I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as is being made out, and while I can't argue with people saying that they're bored, for me I put that down to watching games with literally no atmosphere on tv. I think if we'd watched that game last night with a crowd there and with us all in the stadium, we'd have a)seen a better performance and b) been happier with what we'd seen because we'd have gone through the highs and lows of the match with greater attachment.

Football in general is pretty guff at the moment, and without the highs of a significant victory the other results aren't giving much emotional satisfaction.
    As I posted last night, the results that don't go our way feel just as bad if not worse than normal, but we're not getting the same buzz/lift from the decent results.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Read a lot that football is generally poor at the moment, but I don’t see it that way. I’ve enjoyed watching the EPL on TV, there have been loads of good games this year. Generally, I’ve not noticed any difference in watching it on TV. The only team I’ve really noticed a difference with is us, purely because I’d normally be there.

I’m also not convinced fans in the ground would automatically mean a better performance. We’re in a better position than we are most of the time with fans present, even if I’m not particularly enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    I honestly feel there’s very small fractions that are turning what could be a great season into a very mediocre one.

nisbet sticks that penalty away at hampden and we’re laughing. Hanlon makes even a half decent clearance on Saturday and the feel good factor continues. Not much JR could do about either of those.

We’d be properly buzzing, looking forward to a cup final that, with Celtic in the form they’re in, we’d have a very reasonable chance of winning.

such is life, such is football.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar

Quality post SB. Pragmatism does not abound on these boards!

That said, I still think we are dreadfully short of energy in mid midfield.

I have no idea how good he is, but watching Kerr McInroy's performance for Dunfermline against Hearts brought home to me what we are missing in midfield. Drive, energy and enthusiasm.

Gogic is more defensive - a ball winner who breaks up play - but does not impress box to box and watching last night I'm not sure what Newell or Mallan offer. Newell isn't as good as he thinks he is and Mallan just does not look fit to me. Both are neat and tidy but more often than not look to play safe when they could be more offensive. There is a time and place for recycling the ball with your defenders but, for me, it shouldn't be the 'default' option for our central midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

The Rangers semi before we won the cup was an amazing night, one of my favs as a Hibs fan, and in no way could be described as boring!
    Got to agree that was an amazing night. Rangers had a team of superstars and we had not long been nearly killed off by mercer. Great night...keith,keith,keith.

Again with the game tonight. Both teams. Workmanlike. Industrial football.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

That was a quality night no doubt but Alex Miller's record was, at best, mediocre and some of his teams and tactics brutally defensive.

He had 10 years at Hibs, nowadays, fans don't give Managers 10 months.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    That was a quality night no doubt but Alex Miller's record was, at best, mediocre and some of his teams and tactics brutally defensive.

He had 10 years at Hibs, nowadays, fans don't give Managers 10 months.
    Hibs fans never gave him 10 years. Douglas Crombe did 😉

Booing was guaranteed after most games.

Torturous.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Hibs fans never gave him 10 years. Douglas Crombe did 😉

Booing was guaranteed after most games.

Torturous.
    Clydebank away in the Scottish Cup February 1987, one of the worst Hibs performances I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Clydebank away in the Scottish Cup February 1987, one of the worst Hibs performances I have ever had the misfortune to witness.
    When I think of some of the teams I have personally witnessed putting us out the Scottish Cup I cringe.

Clydebank, Arbroath, Stirling Albion and Ayr United spring to mind.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    When I think of some of the teams I have personally witnessed putting us out the Scottish Cup I cringe.

Clydebank, Arbroath, Stirling Albion and Ayr United spring to mind.
    East Fife (with Gordon Durie) first and foremost for me.