hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    we’ve put ourselves in a good position in the table but we’re just so unexciting to watch and have been for the majority of the season. very little creativity, playing rank football pumping it up long to nisbets head and expecting him to be able to do something with it.

we are missing scott allan an unreal amount.
    Last edited by MrRobot; 24-11-2020 at 10:42 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snedz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're post reminded me of the days back in the late seventies/early eighties especially when we were relegated. It was post the Tornadoes and the crowds had tumbled dramatically. However, the die hards who went to every game particularly the away games had a certain camaraderie. We watched some dreadful football/footballers but we'd turn up to watch the Hi bees every week in life travelling here there and everywhere no matter the weather or how far away it was. I watched the game on the computer tonight, couldn't care less if there were no fans there or that the football wasn't brilliant. I just wanted Hibs to win. I've been quite shocked at some of the comments on here tonight regarding apathy and boring etc. But then we never had the internet back then of course.
    That's when I started going regularly, during our first spell in the then 1st division with Bertie Auld as manager - and people are moaning about the football we're watching now?

People moaning about some of our players now obviously never seen Stuart Turnbull in action.

Ross inherited a shambles of a situation that Hecky had left and has only had 2 transfer windows to try and fix it. In the main I think his recruitment has been brilliant and we have a much better team than say this time last year.

A pandemic, a smaller squad, and no fans probably means we won't get the exciting football we all want. However top 4 at this stage is a pretty decent achievement for me.

Just my opinion but the players letting Jack Ross down are the ones that were already here pre Hecky so once they are shifted on then we'll hopefully get even better. McGregor in particular tonight was actually quite upsetting to watch.

Scraped a few wins at the start of the season and papering over the cracks. Now that form has levelled out the weaknesses are beginning to show and I feel like we are a mid table side and that's probably where we will end up come the end of the season. The football is utterly brutal to watch which you can live with if winning games but once the wins dry up it becomes tiresome very quickly. Not to mention the derby defeat which was utterly unacceptable.

File Ross under the Fenlon category of Hibs managers. Just once I'd like to see us go out, play attacking football and win a game at home 3 or 4 nil.

Ross job will be safe unless a Butcheresque collapse of form happens and to be honest I don't know if I can be arsed watching turgid football all the time and not getting wins

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Scraped a few wins at the start of the season and papering over the cracks. Now that form has levelled out the weaknesses are beginning to show and I feel like we are a mid table side and that's probably where we will end up come the end of the season. The football is utterly brutal to watch which you can live with if winning games but once the wins dry up it becomes tiresome very quickly. Not to mention the derby defeat which was utterly unacceptable.

File Ross under the Fenlon category of Hibs managers. Just once I'd like to see us go out, play attacking football and win a game at home 3 or 4 nil.

Ross job will be safe unless a Butcheresque collapse of form happens and to be honest I don't know if I can be arsed watching turgid football all the time and not getting wins
    I'm bemused by the constant over reaction to all our games. We are third in the table playing some decent football in patches. With no fans all the games are flat.what are we expecting? Scottish football is not easy, if fans are paying to expect Barcelona style football they should just save their money and watch soap operas...would save a lot of misery...

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    It isn't the same watching the games on TV. Plenty to be distracted by if not much is happening.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post

Some of the football has been pretty crap but. I wouldn't file him same as Fenlon yet.
    The results improved as soon as he took over and he had to deal with a lot of Heckys crap. Current conditions having helped either.
    Win against Dundee would give us a lift.
    Agree loosing derby semi final is unacceptable , if he had won that he would have loads of goodwill from the fans and recent performances wouldn't have been judged so harshly

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by USAHibee View Post
    I'm bemused by the constant over reaction to all our games. We are third in the table playing some decent football in patches. With no fans all the games are flat.what are we expecting? Scottish football is not easy, if fans are paying to expect Barcelona style football they should just save their money and watch soap operas...would save a lot of misery...
    Exactly mate, with the possible exception of both world wars, this is the most ****ed-up football season ever.

Anything could happen, just go with the flow and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Not a feeling I often get with hibs.

I’m honestly unsure if it’s because we’re not able to attend the games or if it’s just the way we’ve been playing but I find myself quite bored actually watching us.

Like I said I’m not sure if it’s cause we’re constricted to watching it on tv or if it’s the dull & slow tempo we seem to be playing with.

Frustrating
    Just to add, this is very much where I’m at so it’s reassuring to hear I’m not alone.

Think it’s a mixture of the awful style of play and the fact we can’t go but we are awful to watch even when we win it’s hardly exciting.

Can the ones complaining about our style of play pinpoint the other teams in the league, outside the Old Firm who are noticeably more attractive to watch?

Not saying the product is great - it's clearly not... but who'd have thought Scottish football with no crowds would look so bad on tv? Was anyone seriously expecting it to look good?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Not a feeling I often get with hibs.

I’m honestly unsure if it’s because we’re not able to attend the games or if it’s just the way we’ve been playing but I find myself quite bored actually watching us.

Like I said I’m not sure if it’s cause we’re constricted to watching it on tv or if it’s the dull & slow tempo we seem to be playing with.

Frustrating
    I don't find Ross' Hibs boring - there's plenty of exciting talent in the squad - thin though it undoubtably is. We've got exciting attacking players to play on each wing and a good quality first choice front pair. We have some good creative midfielders too. Of course you can never have enough quality but - let's be honest with ourselves, what we have at the moment is far from boring compared to some of the dirge we've had to endure over the years.

Ross seems to like playing a passing possession based game - building it from the back more often than not and I like that! It's a matter of taste I suppose but I like what he's trying to do. Of course it doesn't always work - but it has worked a lot more than it hasn't this season to date - exit from last season's cup notwithstanding - and that leaves us in a far from boring 3rd place with lots of twists and turns including two cups and a Jan window to come.

I'm disappointed not to get the 3 points tonight but I wasn't bored with the game and I'm not bored at all about our prospects for the season.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I don't find Ross' Hibs boring - there's plenty of exciting talent in the squad - thin though it undoubtably is. We've got exciting attacking players to play on each wing and a good quality first choice front pair. We have some good creative midfielders too. Of course you can never have enough quality but - let's be honest with ourselves, what we have at the moment is far from boring compared to some of the dirge we've had to endure over the years.

Ross seems to like playing a passing possession based game - building it from the back more often than not and I like that! It's a matter of taste I suppose but I like what he's trying to do. Of course it doesn't always work - but it has worked a lot more than it hasn't this season to date - exit from last season's cup notwithstanding - and that leaves us in a far from boring 3rd place with lots of twists and turns including two cups and a Jan window to come.

I'm disappointed not to get the 3 points tonight but I wasn't bored with the game and I'm not bored at all about our prospects for the season.
    Agree with all of this we do at least try and keep possession and move teams about. There are a lot of basic and frustrating mistakes though the weight of pass, misplaced passes trying to rush things and losing the ball which are annoying at times. Actually thought St Johnstone were good and that was them without Kerr Davidson and Conway three of their better players. We are starting to lose poor goals which isn't a good sign as the second on Saturday and both tonight should have been dealt with absolutely no idea what Porto was doing with the second goal when Spoony was able to walk through the middle of our defence. His rashness and impetuous decision making isn't helping at present. Hopefully Hanlon injury is not serious as he is our best defender and usually provides a composure in the middle of the defence. Wondering if the Gogic substitution is a sign of the manager getting a little annoyed with his recent performances as he really does put us under pressure when on the ball in the middle of the pitch. Ross summed it up well when he spoke of fine margins however we do need to get a few of these going our way as crucial part of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by USAHibee View Post
    If you want entertainment goto the cinema?

The style of play is a major concern for me, and my source for criticism of Ross’ management, I’ve posted before about raining it in to give the guy the fairest amount of time to right heckys wrongs but I just wish we could get even a glimpse of a decent footballing side and bar Livingston away at the start of the season we’re not seeing it.
    I’m terrified of to catch Aberdeen we need to be Aberdeen attitude creeping in and I’m not wanting to watch S**** like that.
    He was praised for good football at st.mirren and got success and a big move, it didn’t seem to transfer down to Sunderland and so far not here either it’s a worry.

@hibs.net private member
    Not all teams are boring to watch, so blaming it on no fans is quite the excuse for the boring, uninspiring displays we put on.

We barely even win games anymore, so the boring football really shows now.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Not all teams are boring to watch, so blaming it on no fans is quite the excuse for the boring, uninspiring displays we put on.

We barely even win games anymore, so the boring football really shows now.
    2 wins in our last 7 is a real cause for concern and will quickly see us battling to stay in the top 6 if we don’t pick back up.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    2 wins in our last 7 is a real cause for concern and will quickly see us battling to stay in the top 6 if we don’t pick back up.
    It's not great although on the flipside, in the second round of fixtures so far, we are only 1 point off the number of points that we picked up against the same teams in the first round when I think most people accepted we did well.

For some reason St Johnstone at home has turned into a really difficult fixture for us in recent years. I'll start to worry if we don't beat the likes of Hamilton, St Mirren and Livingston.

We've been horrible to watch recently and the urge to switch off has been overwhelming. Far too easy to find more enjoyable things to do, even in longterm lockdown.

First Team Breakthrough
    No fans is the reason I think. We would be playing better with a close to full ER every week. Most football is suferkg at the moment

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    The stats would suggest we are scoring a good amount of goals and have also started shipping a few now too. I have certainly been bored by a few games this season but a few of our performances have also been good, pretty much the same as it would’ve been if fans were allowed in I think.

The draw last night wasn’t good enough and it’s a worry that we’ve started shipping such soft goals again after our good defensive start.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I genuinely don't enjoy watching us at all right now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

I honestly thought that was utter garbage tonight, the lack of intensity, the dreadful passing, the kamikaze defending, the missing midfield - it was all dismal.

It's becoming all too familiar now and I don't have faith in Ross to change his play it safe attitude.
    I think you are spot on. We are dull and lacking any excitement

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

I think there are a couple of exciting players there but we are far too reliant on them. And there are a couple of strikers who will score goals but their service is limited, because we’re relying too much on one or two players to create for them. Not sure about the creativity you see in the middle of the park, they have created and scored very few goals between them from that area of the pitch.

It was fine when it was working more than it wasn’t. Now, it’s not though. I the opening part of the season I didn’t think we were brilliant but I thought we had something to build on and the performances would come. It concerns me that we seem to be going the other way.

I think the lacklustre semi (no Frankie Howard jokes please) has had an effect on how we feel. Hopefully things click back into place and we start to play with a bit of spark again and cutting edge again. I feel that we are missing a leader on the park who can keep there head, calm things down and play some composed football.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Feel the same here.

Can’t explain why as I like Jack Ross and the majority of the squad are decent.

Results for the most part have been good but we’re boring as hell to watch and half the time I find myself doing something else whilst the game is on. Usually I’d be fully engrossed in the game with no distractions.

Rarely read any match reports or watch any highlights and only really keep an eye on here for any news.

Everything about the club just feels flat.
    This post is exactly where I am ay the moment. Im hoping Boyle finds his game shoes and the team wake up before games with a bit of energy and a " lets get ****ing intae thum" attitude.

Coaching Staff
    I've seen some boring Hibs teams in my time and plenty teams that have played awful football.

This team just isn't one of those and I'm surprised at the amount of times these things are now being repeated.

As for the season, it wasn't too long ago we were convinced that we were going to have to sell Boyle and Porteous to survive and we were going to be ditching the Academy and making most of our coaches redundant. Instead we have been able to sign the likes of Nisbet and Magennis for cash. I'm just going to enjoy it as much as I can from home before we really get back into it next year. We are pretty much where I would hope we would be and I fully expect us to be thereabout for getting probably 4th place which in any recent measure is pretty good for us.

We are trying to play the right way, doesn't always work but there's no way this team are playing eye bleeding or boring football.

People are just missing live games.

I don’t think it’s just a Hibs issue. Speak to Aberdeen fans at the moment and they aren’t exactly loving McInnes.

Celtic fans want Lennon out.

The only teams fans in Scotland right probably happy are Rangers, probably Hearts as they are winning games / won the semi (though still in Championship) and Dunfermline fans.

Hibs overall have improved from previous season.

I think the frustration comes in several forms. We know the quality of the league isn’t great and we should be really putting a challenge for 3rd. A home draw feels like a defeat last night. We have struggled for a long time against Aberdeen and as mentioned the semi final hangover which so many wanted to win.

The team style has improved from where Hecky left us. I think though we still need more creativity. Our most creative player is not playing. As much as I love SA I don’t think he’s still the answer. He hasn’t been in great form for a while. Of course an on form SA is unplayable at times.

Boyle - since he signed his new contract he’s not as consistent as previously. Does he play better with Gray behind him? Is he getting told different instructions to previously?

Murphy - glad he’s coming onto form as we have needed something from the left for a few seasons.

The midfield - well its clear we are still missing an energetic player in there who is comfortable on the ball. McCrorie or Doherty would have been that player but instead we have KM who is coming back from a long term injury. He was thrown into the action far too fast.

The back line..well as much as I like a few of them - no coincidence we lose similar goals as we are playing similar players. My worry is opposition players know our players well enough now to identify how to score against us.

McGinn and Marciano have definitely been positives recently - both hit form.

We need Doidge back on form..more in central midfield..Boyle to step it up. Get back to less goals against to give us a better platform.

I still like Ross but we need to address this in January or we will be 4th or lower.

We seriously need to improve our Derby record and start taking more points from Aberdeen too. These failings would help get fans on board. We are under dogs in both games and should use this to our advantage. Over confidence has led to several big falls.

Finally the part about people checking phones..it’s common in life and even at stadiums..won’t change anytime soon.

We are saturated with so much footy on tv / online etc so no co-incidence a sub standard Hibs game (which we can’t win- when we are expected to) against average opposition isn’t getting many out their seat. I would still rather watch Hibs than the corporate EPL etc where many teams have lost an identity. Keep the faith folks..we will be back to watching the team sooner rather than later and we all know there are many a average games in Scottish football ! Be careful what we wish for as we need a manager who can build the whole club over time. A change again isn’t the way forward.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 25-11-2020 at 08:15 AM.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I didn't like the way the team was set up last night with 1 up front, a clutter of midfield players and the long ball second ball stuff that we seem to favour. Not a great watch and unfortunately St Johnstone picked up most of the second balls.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Definitely a lingering malaise over the Hibs support since Hampden. That, and being played off the park at home by the maroon relegation fodder in March has done Jack Ross absolutely no favours.

we had a huge chance to return the feel good factor on Saturday against a terrible Celtic but, in true Hibs tradition, we pished that against the wall too. Another winnable home game last night, more points dropped.

I absolutely believe JR is the right man for the job but it’s not fun at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I've seen some boring Hibs teams in my time and plenty teams that have played awful football.

This team just isn't one of those and I'm surprised at the amount of times these things are now being repeated.

As for the season, it wasn't too long ago we were convinced that we were going to have to sell Boyle and Porteous to survive and we were going to be ditching the Academy and making most of our coaches redundant. Instead we have been able to sign the likes of Nisbet and Magennis for cash. I'm just going to enjoy it as much as I can from home before we really get back into it next year. We are pretty much where I would hope we would be and I fully expect us to be thereabout for getting probably 4th place which in any recent measure is pretty good for us.

We are trying to play the right way, doesn't always work but there's no way this team are playing eye bleeding or boring football.
    In your opinion it isn’t eye bleeding, many many others are finding it boring dull and eye bleeding.

The club have done very well to get where we are in a pandemic, it’s time for the players to step up and be winning these games.

The better we get through the season the more chance we have of selling seasons tickets in good numbers for next year and try and kick on more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Definitely a lingering malaise over the Hibs support since Hampden. That, and being played off the park at home by the maroon relegation fodder in March has done Jack Ross absolutely no favours.

we had a huge chance to return the feel good factor on Saturday against a terrible Celtic but, in true Hibs tradition, we pished that against the wall too. Another winnable home game last night, more points dropped.

I absolutely believe JR is the right man for the job but it’s not fun at the moment.
    100% agreed.