hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Pike

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I first met Cliff many years ago around the outset of Hibs in the media and consider him an old pal. He's a lovely chap and you'd find it hard to find someone who cared about Hibs more than him.

I find he has a very reasoned and balanced way of looking at the game in general and enjoy reading and listening to the things he has to say.

He's a hockey man too so we have that in common.

In recent times I've had the opportunity to listen a little more to his commentaries and really enjoyed them. Maybe a little toned down from previous and possibly all the better for it in my humble opinion. I think he's excellent and strikes a good balance. He does a grand job.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I first met Cliff many years ago around the outset of Hibs in the media and consider him an old pal. He's a lovely chap and you'd find it hard to find someone who cared about Hibs more than him.

I find he has a very reasoned and balanced way of looking at the game in general and enjoy reading and listening to the things he has to say.

He's a hockey man too so we have that in common.

In recent times I've had the opportunity to listen a little more to his commentaries and really enjoyed them. Maybe a little toned down from previous and possibly all the better for it in my humble opinion. I think he's excellent and strikes a good balance. He does a grand job.
    I know Cliff as well, he’sa really good guy and his commentary is absolutely fine!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    How on Earth I managed to listen to CelticTV (probably an “interesting” feed or periscope) it seems like their contract dictates
    Then need to mention the word “Paradise” literally every 5 mins.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Reading this thread it seems obvious that overseas fans who`ve listened to Cliff for years have no complaints at all and really appreciate his efforts . I also like Tam McManus this season and thought Kevin Harper was good when he was on Hibs TV too . Cliff`s commentaries seem much calmer and more neutral this season than before which may upset some viewers / listeners though personally I prefer it that way as I prefer a fairer commentary ( don`t agree with previous comments about commentators of other clubs´TY service - when we were in Championship ( was that right name ? ) I remember very good and fair commentaries by Raith and St Mirren / Ayr United ( University of West of Scotland Media Studies students I think who commentated on both teams ) - not sure about TV services of OF or Hearts as I`ve never listened to them .
    Good post, Cliff's a fine commentator and McManus has been a great addition to the team - you're spot on too about the smaller club commentary teams - no real problems with a bit of bias as the volunteers are all fans - many thanks to each and every one of the many guys who have volunteered their services to Hibs TV down the years - the service has really come of age ...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    Could someone ask him to include some excitement in his voice. With no crowd, a good commentator can add some atmosphere. Cliff is as boring as Martin Tyler.
    Aye right mate !! Boy does a great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Irish Dave on today, who also does a great job

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    He’s a good lad, and a volunteer as well

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Is he the same Irish Dave that used to broadcast the games illegally on Facebook and add his own commentary?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    Is he the same Irish Dave that used to broadcast the games illegally on Facebook and add his own commentary?
    Yes and he's still not very good at commentating in my opinion. We used to be spoiled for choice between Cliff, Martin, John and Luke in times gone by, now we've got Cliff and a huge drop in quality to Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Hibee View Post
    Yes and he's still not very good at commentating in my opinion. We used to be spoiled for choice between Cliff, Martin, John and Luke in times gone by, now we've got Cliff and a huge drop in quality to Dave.
    I think the Irish boy is an upgrade tbh. I’ve not heard too many mentions of the 18 yard line or 18 yard box today which seems to be Cliff’s stock cliched unit of distance bassline. Refreshing.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I quite like the Irish guy. First time I’ve heard him.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I quite like the Irish guy. First time I’ve heard him.
    I think he commentates very well.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I think the Irish boy is an upgrade tbh. I’ve not heard too many mentions of the 18 yard line or 18 yard box today which seems to be Cliff’s stock cliched unit of distance bassline. Refreshing.
    Each to their own but Cliff's player identification and knowledge is much better. Dave is the worst commentator Hibs TV has had in terms of general quality. I'd hate to be listening to him as a UK fan with only audio coverage, you'd not know what was going on

Each to their own but Cliff's player identification and knowledge is much better. Dave is the worst commentator Hibs TV has had in terms of general quality. I'd hate to be listening to him as a UK fan with only audio coverage, you'd not know what was going on
    Is commentating not like most things though, in that the more you do the better you'll become?

I think Dave, as another volunteer, does very well.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Totally agree, Dave was ok but Cliff has a better knowledge of the players and of the game all round.

Do you like anyone

First Team Breakthrough
    Is commentating not like most things though, in that the more you do the better you'll become?

I think Dave, as another volunteer, does very well.
    I do know that he is a volunteer, like they all are. I've been a subscriber for several years. Guys like Cliff, Martin, Connor, Keith, John and Luke were all volunteers but performed at a level very close to what I would expect to hear from mainstream journalists. I think the fact that Luke is on Sky and both Cliff and Keith come from a radio background proves that point, both John and Connor were young and John went full-time at the club for a few years and helped improve things like the programme and other things on the website and Hibs TV. The difference in quality between the ones I've said above and Dave is quite stark. He is better at co-commentary but I'd prefer a former player to do it or even Keith to come back

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Do you like anyone
    Can you read? Genuine question as I praise others in my post. Maybe reread it with your glasses on rather than taking a petty dig at me

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Do you like anyone
    Can you read? Genuine question as I praise others in my post. Maybe reread it with your glasses on rather than taking a petty dig at me
    You can add your name to his list now Billy!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    You can add your name to his list now Billy!
    Can you state where I was hating on everyone in my post please? I pay for a product and I can rightly criticise things. I'm not just some cantankerous auld codger, though my wife might disagree. I'm just defending myself against Billy being a bit snide is all

Can you state where I was hating on everyone in my post please? I pay for a product and I can rightly criticise things. I'm not just some cantankerous auld codger, though my wife might disagree. I'm just defending myself against Billy being a bit snide is all
    The guy is a volunteer and doing it for free, so give him a bit of slack please
    I thought he did just fine today

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The guy is a volunteer and doing it for free, so give him a bit of slack please
    I thought he did just fine today
    Aye, he was fine. No complaints from me.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I like Cliffs commentary, balanced and honest. That'll do for me.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    We simply need more disciples for the spread of the Word. Has to be a priority in the next transfer window.

I don’t understand the love in with cliff !! I think his commentary is boring and mundane. The guy today made the game sound more interesting than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by dphibs View Post
    I don’t understand the love in with cliff !! I think his commentary is boring and mundane. The guy today made the game sound more interesting than it was.
    Haha I was about to post the same, he did make the game sound better than it was, so done a good job

Testimonial Due
    I thought Dave was a bit bland and lacking of football game knowledge today. Prefer as second commentator or half time analysis. Tam is the real plus and adds so much game knowledge from his inside view as a former player. People could learn a lot about the game by listening to him.
    Been listening to the HibsTV commentary for 6 years since I left Edinburgh and Cliff is by far the best main commentator.

So Cliff Pike is/was PC Stamp...how interesting.

He is a very good commentator, nice balance, good knowledge, easy to listen to and interacts well with guests.

Tam the Bam will be getting paid as will the "Billy Boy" and Cliff Pike deserves something for his trouble as well.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I think he commentates very well.
    Yep thought he was good, enthusiastic and seems to know his stuff. Thought he bounced off Tam well.

Quote Originally Posted by dphibs View Post
    Maybe Irish Dave lacks the knowledge Cliff has of the players and the game in general, however in terms of audio only, he paints a much better description of what is happening and where the ball is. Too often with Cliff all you know is that the ball is in a team's possession, whether us or the oppo, is passed a couple of times between their players and the next thing "it's in the back of the net" like it's been a 50 yard goal. I started my Hibs tv sub to hear a Hibs orientated audio commentary on all games (can't get to too many) rather than the occasional BBC radio commentary, however if there is a choice, and it's Cliff on duty on Hibs TV, I'm afraid it's BBC all the way for me so I at least get a feel for where the ball is via a commentary that paints a continuous picture of what is happening on the pitch. Sorry but Cliff doesn't get pass marks in the audio-only department.