hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Pike

As a first time watcher of HibsTV this season I think Cliff is good. I'm sure there's better out there but not sufficient enough for it to cost more.
    Perfectly happy with the package on offer from Hibspass/TV. Its not the same as being in the ground or as slick as Sky etc but I wouldn't want the club spending that sort of money either for what will hopefully be a short period till we get back to 'normal'

2. Log in to remove the advert

No issues with the commentary......however the constant playing of replays of nothing moments in the game whilst the game is in play and we can't see the action is really getting on my nerves!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No issues with the commentary......however the constant playing of replays of nothing moments in the game whilst the game is in play and we can't see the action is really getting on my nerves!
    Funny you should mention that because I thought there was a blatant foul on Boyle at the edge of the St Js area after about 10-15 mins which the ref totally missed but which WAS highlighted - and I thought confirmed - by the replay.

It wasn't even acknowledged by the commentary team though and I thought at the time - why are Cliff and Tam not analysing that? - and it makes me wonder if they were even aware of the replay being shown to us - the viewers. They are presumably watching directly from some commentator's perch in the stadium and would need a word in the ear from a director to alert them to replays being shown which perhaps our budget doesn't stretch to?

Anyway, on the whole I enjoy Cliff's style - usually very descriptive - but I thought he and Tam let a big incident pass without comment on that occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I really like Cliff and he gives up his time for nothing to bring us commentary and he does a good job. Having listened to some other clubs commentators Cliff is one of the best.
    Fully agreed.

Coaching Staff
    Cliff is the best ‘club’ commentator I’ve heard

Cliff Pike does a fine job as Hibs TV commentator and has done so for some time now - looking forward to the return of his half-time pie report when things get back to normal ...

I really enjoy Cliff's commentary. I don't think it would be Hibs TV without him or his similes (eg "leapt like a salmon", "went down like he was shot", and my particular favorite of all time "rolling around like he was dead") :-)

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    As a long time user of Hibs TV, Cliff can annoy me at times but this is no doubt familiarity breeding contempt.

However, commentating isn't easy, especially being able to recognise the opposing teams' players. I know he does a far, far better job than I could ever manage and for that he has my respect, even moreso given that he's a volunteer.

First Team Breakthrough
    I generally like Cliff’s style and glad he doesn’t go over the top for the sake of it like most of today’s breed of commentators - Liam McLeod particularly gets on my wick!

It can’t be easy at the moment commentating from empty stadiums and he has no atmosphere to feed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Cliff’s commentary before and after the feedback on this thread

https://youtu.be/qjp1Zrvn8VQ

I think he's a decent commentator. Not the best in the world, but not worth complaining about.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    if cliff posted on .net he'd be all over this thread like a cheap suit

mon the cliff

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

mon the cliff
    Except Cliff usually refers to Burtons suits.

Testimonial Due
    For a while now, Cliff has been the voice of Hibs for me. I look forward to hearing him call the game. Best memory was some game in the championship (away to Alloa?) with audio only, and he had to speak through a cell phone or something like that, still listened halfway across the world.

Testimonial Due

mon the cliff
    exactly.

He would probably see his name up in lights as well.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I like Cliff’s commentary. He’s one of us and his ability to commentate in a measured tone with primarily in a Hibs context without going overboard strikes the right balance for a club TV feed.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

mon the cliff
    He used to...PC Stamp was his user name.

I like him, he's improved massively.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Aye I meant the more excitable fans. 😂
    I can think of one who would be pretty excitable, if irritable, and could weigh in with the latest for us on how Hearts are doing as he went.

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    Cliffs a class act , and a respected keeper of the law when he was pc stamp

Having commentated for Hibs TV in the olden days I can tell you it's not easy to do. Disappointed that somebody has had a dig at Cliff who does, in my opinion, a very good job. I also like Tam's input, as a former player he can offer thoughts on aspects of the game that we, as supporters, may see differently
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Need a whole new first team and production crew at this rate

Ive watched Hibs TV back from when we had what i assume was a handheld video camera and I believe Stewart Crowther done the comms

Cliff is absolutely fine

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Need a whole new first team and production crew at this rate

Ive watched Hibs TV back from when we had what i assume was a handheld video camera and I believe Stewart Crowther done the comms

Cliff is absolutely fine
    I remember the "live" text updates on 56k dial-up.

Goooaaaal!

Folk that get paid are fair game but hard to believe posters are having a go at a guy that does the commentary for Brussel Sprout AND who is no far off professional standard.
    I have listened to other clubs offerings and in many cases the volunteer commentators don't even know the players in the opposing team which is rubbish.
    Cliff knows all the players in both teams and his tone is good. I rate the guy as highly and in some cases higher than the paid contributers. FWIW, I thought Joelle Murray was good last night. Called it as she saw it including criticising individual players which was a change.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I was not aware that Cliff provides his commentary for Hibs TV for free. Fair play

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I was not aware that Cliff provides his commentary for Hibs TV for free. Fair play
    If we had more Cliff Pikes we would be dandy. Great guy and a Hibs stalwart.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Folk that get paid are fair game but hard to believe posters are having a go at a guy that does the commentary for Brussel Sprout AND who is no far off professional standard.
    I have listened to other clubs offerings and in many cases the volunteer commentators don't even know the players in the opposing team which is rubbish.
    Cliff knows all the players in both teams and his tone is good. I rate the guy as highly and in some cases higher than the paid contributers. FWIW, I thought Joelle Murray was good last night. Called it as she saw it including criticising individual players which was a change.

Indeed, from what I can tell his knowledge of the game is excellent and he does a professional level job. Even if I am away from the screen I can tell what is happening just by the pitch or cadence in his voice.

I think both Cliff and Tam do a great job. They are obviously biased but try to give a balanced appraisal and I think they work well as a team. The fact that Cliff is doing a good job and for free doesn’t seem enough to escape criticism is ridiculous in my mind. Well apart from him saying high wide and mighty. It’s obviously high wide and handsome😁

Jeezo, folk will have a go at anything, the guy does a very decent job and as others have pointed out does it for nothing. Mind, when he does get over excited he sounds a bit like an out of control Dalek ....... Exteeeeeeerminate !!!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CmoantheHibs View Post
    I think both Cliff and Tam do a great job. They are obviously biased but try to give a balanced appraisal and I think they work well as a team. The fact that Cliff is doing a good job and for free doesn’t seem enough to escape criticism is ridiculous in my mind. Well apart from him saying high wide and mighty. It’s obviously high wide and handsome😁
    Absolutely agree think they are both very good.

Reading this thread it seems obvious that overseas fans who`ve listened to Cliff for years have no complaints at all and really appreciate his efforts . I also like Tam McManus this season and thought Kevin Harper was good when he was on Hibs TV too . Cliff`s commentaries seem much calmer and more neutral this season than before which may upset some viewers / listeners though personally I prefer it that way as I prefer a fairer commentary ( don`t agree with previous comments about commentators of other clubs´TY service - when we were in Championship ( was that right name ? ) I remember very good and fair commentaries by Raith and St Mirren / Ayr United ( University of West of Scotland Media Studies students I think who commentated on both teams ) - not sure about TV services of OF or Hearts as I`ve never listened to them .