hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim o rourke

'S' Form

Jim o rourke

Wondering if any of you can help me . I am from perth and remember being at a st johnstone v hibs game at muirton not long after o Rourke signed for saints. I remember a hibs fan running on to the pitch and putting a scarf around jim o rourke at kick off. What i am trying to remember is did he score for saints that day and what in fact was the result. I am aware he scored his first goal for st johnstone v hibs at easter rd but i wish to know the details of the muirton game and estimated date. Thanks

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    18/1/1975 Scottish League Division One

St Johnstone 2 v 2 Hibernian

Bobby Smith scored early for HIBS Jimmy O’Rourke equalised Duncan Lambie pen gave Saints the lead
    Tony Higgins then had a penalty saved but followed up to net the rebound just after half-time

Everyone knows his name
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 23-11-2020 at 06:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    18/1/1975 Scottish League Division One

St Johnstone 2 v 2 Hibernian

Bobby Smith scored early for HIBS Jimmy O’Rourke equalised Duncan Lambie pen gave Saints the lead
    Tony Higgins then had a penalty saved but followed up to net the rebound just after half-time

Everyone knows his name
    So it was all players who played for Hibernian at sometime in their careers that scored in this game

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    So it was all players who played for Hibernian at sometime in their careers that scored in this game
    Some of us prefer to forget that Duncan Lambie played at Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    😂

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I saw Duncan Lambie as a teenager playing for Dundee and having a superb game against AC Milan. I was pleased when he signed for Hibs but of course he was awful. His only claim to fame was the goal he scored against Ayr in the cup. 17k turned up to see George Best but George was drunk in bed in the NB having taken the French rugby team on in a drinking contest! Of course there's another Jim O connection on that Jimmy was a coach at the club when Lambie was a player. Jimmy had a rather disparaging nickname for Lambie!

Left by mutual consent!
    I love that anecdote from the OP about a fan running on and putting a Hibs scarf round Jimmy's neck!

He was still at Hibs when I first put a team poster on my bedroom wall (probably cut from Shoot magazine) but I was too wee to really remember him playing for us. I know Turnbull was accused of breaking up the Tornadoes too soon and selling O'Rourke and Alan Gordon, but would those who are old enough to remember say that Jimmy was still more than good enough to have been playing for Hibs at the time he moved to Saints? He'd been at Hibs a long time so I'm guessing he was maybe getting on a little in years.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I saw Duncan Lambie as a teenager playing for Dundee and having a superb game against AC Milan. I was pleased when he signed for Hibs but of course he was awful. His only claim to fame was the goal he scored against Ayr in the cup. 17k turned up to see George Best but George was drunk in bed in the NB having taken the French rugby team on in a drinking contest! Of course there's another Jim O connection on that Jimmy was a coach at the club when Lambie was a player. Jimmy had a rather disparaging nickname for Lambie!
    I thought it was Willie Murray who stepped in for Best and ended up playing very well, but I might be thinking of another game when George was a no show.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I love that anecdote from the OP about a fan running on and putting a Hibs scarf round Jimmy's neck!

He was still at Hibs when I first put a team poster on my bedroom wall (probably cut from Shoot magazine) but I was too wee to really remember him playing for us. I know Turnbull was accused of breaking up the Tornadoes too soon and selling O'Rourke and Alan Gordon, but would those who are old enough to remember say that Jimmy was still more than good enough to have been playing for Hibs at the time he moved to Saints? He'd been at Hibs a long time so I'm guessing he was maybe getting on a little in years.
    He could still have and should have been at Hibernian. His stats were
    1962–1974
    Hibernian
    (81)
    1974–1976
    St Johnstone
    (23)
    1976–1978
    Motherwell
    (14)
    On average 1 goal every 3 games throughout his career

Well he certainly appeared to still be good enough bearing in mind that he managed to get the better of the Hibs defence he played with by scoring against them in the first two games he played, if any defence should have known how to stop him, then the Hibs defence would have known how to but still couldn’t manage it.

I thought it was Willie Murray who stepped in for Best and ended up playing very well, but I might be thinking of another game when George was a no show.
    It was Willie Murray that took Bestie’s place

I know because I can still feel the sense of disappointment when the news broke over the Tannoy that Sunday

Duncan Lambie played left back and he scored one of the goals that day in a 2-0 Scottish Cup win over Ayr United

Ally MacLeod scored the other

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    He could still have and should have been at Hibernian. His stats were
    1962–1974
    Hibernian
    (81)
    1974–1976
    St Johnstone
    (23)
    1976–1978
    Motherwell
    (14)
    On average 1 goal every 3 games throughout his career
    Afraid your stats are a bit out.
    The ones for Hibs are just the league games. He played another 82 games and scored another 38 goals.

Gordon and O’Rourke still had a lot to offer Hibernian FC

We had a thin squad as it was at that time and all three could have been accommodated

Indeed in a recent interview Joe Harper thought that would be the case when he arrived and he was stunned when these two Hibernian heroes were sold

Blog Entries

Ah, reading it again, although i didnt say Duncan stepped in for George i see how it could be confusing. It was indeed Willie who stepped in for Georgie but Lambie scored his only Hibs goal that day. 😁

Blog Entries

Jimmy was 27 when he left Hibs but he had 12 seasons at ER.

James did spend some wilderness years when at the club
    His horrific leg break aged 17 playing against Dundee Utd set him back ,by his own words, 4 years or more
    I remember him coming home in the ambulance
    He was so distraught knowing it was a very bad injury, to put it mildly

It certainly affected him and his progress
    Many years later when he was being assessed for treatment to his knees the surgeon told him "whoever treated your old leg break saved your career"
    That is how bad the injury was.Hats off to that surgeon
    THe culprit who shattered his leg would have been thankful our brother Billy did not meet him in later years! It was a vicious tackle

Jimmy had the ability to play in a number of positions back then
    Therefore some managers would use him as what was then termed a utility/versatile player
    Some would not play him !!
    I think he played in most positions ,bar goalie

On the point made about James being past his best when he went to St Johnstone

That was not the case
    He was only 27 and the 2/3 previous seasons had been some of his best at the club now he was playing striker alongside quality players

Certainly after his spell at Motherwell he still wanted to play but Well and HIbs could not agree terms that would allow him to returnto the Holy Ground to play for us.
    Therefore he came back to ER as a coach

Both Saints and Well fans loved him in their team

Others too on here have known JImmy for centuries!
    Probably know more gen than me ,being pals of Jimmy
    One of Jimmy's best pals going back to their schooldays is Brog on here
    They may recall or add to some of my comments

Glory Glory

WE have family in towns near Motherwell(Our faithers side)
    So the well had a few extra fans during that time

I think i told this story before.

When Eddie Turnbull lived in the Barnton area
    He would sometimes use the Barnton Public Bar I used to pop in
    One day i was in with Jimmy an while Jimmy was holding court with some fans at the bar telling stories/jokes .I asked Ned ....Why?

I made a mistake then ,Son ,was his reply.Jimmy Loved Turnbull
    Still even after all the years he called him "Boss"

Turnbull was the trainer at Hibs when Jimmy signed in 1962
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 23-11-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    His horrific leg break aged 17 playing against Dunddee Utd set him back ,by his own words, 4 years or more

Many years later when he was being assessed for treatment to his knees the surgeon told him "whoever treated your old leg break saved your career"
    THe culprit who shattered his leg would have been thankful our brother Billy did not meet him in later years! It was a vicious tackle

Therefore some managers would use him as what was then termed a utility/versatile player

That was not the case
    He was only 27 and the 2/3 previous seasons had been some of his best at the club now he was playing striker alongside quality players

Certainly after his spell at Motherwell he still wanted to play but Well and HIbs could not agree terms that would allow him to play for us.

Glory Glory

One day i was in with Jimmy an while JImmy was holding court with some fans at the bar telling stories/jokes .I asked Ned ....Why?

I made a mistake then ,Son ,was his reply.JImmy Loved Turnbull

Turnbull was the trainer at Hbs when Jimmy signed in 1962
    Brilliant. Thanks for the insight.

I remember that Ayr cup game. Was a big let down when Georgie Boy’s name wasn’t mentioned. The same thing happened around the same time against Morton at Cappielow with a huge Hibs support being let down by another Georgie no show.

And
    His horrific leg break aged 17 playing against Dundee Utd set him back ,by his own words, 4 years or more

That was not the case

Certainly after his spell at Motherwell he still wanted to play but Well and HIbs could not agree terms that would allow him to returnto the Holy Ground to play for us.

Glory Glory

One day i was in with Jimmy an while Jimmy was holding court with some fans at the bar telling stories/jokes .I asked Ned ....Why?

First Team Breakthrough

That was not the case

Glory Glory

Brilliant, A great Hibee I had the pleasure of meeting over here in Oz.

Just out of curiosity who broke jimmy leg ?

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Jimmy was 27 when he left Hibs but he had 12 seasons at ER.
    Wow, I never checked that. I just assumed he must have been at least in his early 30s for Hibs to consider letting him move on.

Thanks to you and Mick for the feedback about his career. All very interesting and makes you wonder what might have been if we'd been able to keep that set of players at Hibs for a bit longer. Definitely seems Turnbull acted too hastily in dismantling the side.

That was not the case

Glory Glory

Cheers Mick thats a grest insight, i was lucky enough to know your brothers and you(Clermiston and swiss cottage)and your bang on about your brother Billy, he would have destroyed the guy who made the tackle.

All the best👍

Quote Originally Posted by ozhibs View Post
    Brilliant, A great Hibee I had the pleasure of meeting over here in Oz.

Just out of curiosity who broke jimmy leg ?

GGTTH

I recall the night/day James phoned me from Sydney
    "Hi Michael ,James here,
    Just on a boat about to go under the Sydney Harbour Bridge .
    Man you need to see the views here
    THe Opera House is something else "(drunken laughter in background)
    And what are you up to Michael ?"

Nothing much James
    Skint the night .Last warm can o beer watching re run of Colombo
    Oh wait the meter just ran out !!BOAK !!

Feel sad about the player you are asking about now.
    Couldnt mind his first name so googled his surname
    He passed away a few years ago
    Full Back Jim Briggs

He spent most of his career at United
    iLot older than James
    Strangely enough when Hibs went on a summer tour of America during the sixties.
    Dundee Utd where on the same tour .
    So they may have rubbed shoulders again .....Or Legs!!!

JImmy had another leg break duing his playing days
    Former HIbs player did it !!.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 24-11-2020 at 10:46 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    I recall the night/day James phoned me from Sydney
    "Hi Michael ,James here,
    Just on a boat about to go under the Sydney Harbour Bridge .
    Man you need to see the views here
    THe Opera House is something else "(drunken laughter in background)
    And what are you up to Michael ?"

Nothing much James
    Skint the night .Last warm can o beer watching re run of Colombo
    Oh wait the meter just ran out !!BOAK !!

Feel sad about the player you are asking about now.
    Couldnt mind his first name so googled his surname
    He passed away a few years ago
    Full Back Jim Briggs

He spent most of his career at United Lot older than James
    Strangely enough when HIbs went on a tour of America during the sixties Dundee UTD where on the same tour
    So they may have rubbed shoulders again Or Legs!!!

JImmy had another leg break duing his playing days
    Former HIbs player did it !!
    Thanks Mick I was stalking him from Perth, Melbourne and finally Sydney 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Cheers Mick thats a grest insight, i was lucky enough to know your brothers and you(Clermiston and swiss cottage)and your bang on about your brother Billy, he would have destroyed the guy who made the tackle.

All the best👍

Aye the good old days
    Young restless and radge
    God Bless Billy

Admin assistance please!

Everyone knows his name !

No offence to OP

Could you corect thread title please !

Jim O'Rourke or Jimmy O'Rourke

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
    Wondering if any of you can help me . I am from perth and remember being at a st johnstone v hibs game at muirton not long after o Rourke signed for saints. I remember a hibs fan running on to the pitch and putting a scarf around jim o rourke at kick off. What i am trying to remember is did he score for saints that day and what in fact was the result. I am aware he scored his first goal for st johnstone v hibs at easter rd but i wish to know the details of the muirton game and estimated date. Thanks
    I remember being at the game too it was at the start of the season and it was a sunny day can't remember if Jimmy kept the scarf but it was a league cup game and the score was 4-0 to Hibs. I remember me and my husband got off the bus at the West End and still had our scarfs on and a lot of Hibs fans were asking us how Jimmy played that day,

👍

The 4-0 game was at Easter Road on 17/8/1974

Jimmy made his debut for Saints on 24/8/1974 in a 3-1 defeat to HIBS one week later in Perth

Bobby Thomson scored for Saints that day

I suppose that answers the OPs question

My very first game was Hibs v St johnstone 1974 , jimmy o'rourke had just moved there and scored the winner in a 0-1 defeat after about 5 mins
    i was pure gutted!