hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Tanner

I was more concerned that it felt like the shopping channel.

It's a shame we couldn't have Jerry Sadovitz presenting instead of Tanner.
    A bit of close quarters magic followed by gratuitous abuse of all and sundry would entertain and amaze.

Po faced blindingly obvious fitbaw chat interspersed with trying to sell dross every 5 minutes does my box in.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I listen to a few Hibs podcasts and reckon the host/chair of HibsTalk would be a far better option than David Tanner.

Hibs minded discussion without any histrionics and chat about our opposition limited to brief acknowledgment. Would be a good few quid cheaper too. Give one of our own a lift up the rung of the ladder rather than line the pockets of a journeyman presenter for hire.

Left by mutual consent!
    It annoyed me more when the music came on in the background when they scored. Tanner doesn’t like football and is a hun.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    My Celtic supporting mate signed up to PPV and he mentioned there was no Away commentary from Sellick TV or rather the coverage they got was the same we got which may explain things (rightly or wrongly) a bit?

I know money is tight and every little bit is a help to Hibs, but the constant mention of sponsors for Man of the Match, match ball, whiskey sponsor, left sock sponsor*, penalty spot sponsor* was doing my head in.

(*Slight exaggeration but you get my point)

He is just another snake oil salesman whoring himself around to scratch out a pretty good living.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is just another snake oil salesman whoring himself around to scratch out a pretty good living.
    his profession is a presenter and he is taking a job ?? It’s outrageous isn’t it

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    his profession is a presenter and he is taking a job ?? It’s outrageous isn’t it
    Aye you call him presenter or whatever I will stick wi snake oil salesman.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I listen to a few Hibs podcasts and reckon the host/chair of HibsTalk would be a far better option than David Tanner.

Hibs minded discussion without any histrionics and chat about our opposition limited to brief acknowledgment. Would be a good few quid cheaper too. Give one of our own a lift up the rung of the ladder rather than line the pockets of a journeyman presenter for hire.
    I think I’m the man for the job tbh...
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Agree with all the negative comments about this guy tbh- utterly woeful and how he’s made the career he’s had is beyond me. We’ve hired him just because he’s done national tv.

Last thing I felt like after the game was his awful wooden cheerfulness. He’s clueless about Hibs and football and all the Celtic stuff was an absolute nonsense. People really think it was somebody else telling him to ask JC what he thought of Frimpong and Ajeti etc? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Whoever it was that compared him to Troy McLure was bang on.
    On an older thread I called him the Troy McLure of Scottish Sports broadcasting 😁 He’s even got the daft “stuck on” smile

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Agree with all the negative comments about this guy tbh- utterly woeful and how he’s made the career he’s had is beyond me. We’ve hired him just because he’s done national tv.

Last thing I felt like after the game was his awful wooden cheerfulness. He’s clueless about Hibs and football and all the Celtic stuff was an absolute nonsense. People really think it was somebody else telling him to ask JC what he thought of Frimpong and Ajeti etc? I doubt it.
    Agree, he is awful, he always has been and doesn't even take it seriously.

He reminds me of a ventriloquists dummy

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Defo David

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Fair enough. Don't think I've ever heard anyone call us Hibernian in real world conversation. Certainly not heard a hibby call us Hibernian
    Baws!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    I think I’m the man for the job tbh...
    I’d pay very good money to see that.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    The guy who was doing the commentary for BBC Scotland was talking about Rangers as soon as Murphy buried the penalty rebound. It must be part and parcel of being an SPL commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Baws!
    Well not quite. I think the only time I've ever referred to Hibs as Hibernian is when explaining to an English person or non football person what club I support. In all other circumstances it's Hibs. I wouldn't imagine the folk on Hearts TV refer to them as Heart of Midlothian and I'm willing to bet the folk on Man United TV dont spend the post match analysis referring to them as Manchester United.

I would expect anybody working for the club to refer to them as Hibs, it is after all our day to day name, if you like the affectionate name for the club ....... I've known my brother Mike for 50 odd years and I cant remember the last time I ever called him Michael ..... Hibernian should be for club statements and the club badge IMO
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 22-11-2020 at 12:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Well not quite. I think the only time I've ever referred to Hibs as Hibernian is when explaining to an English person or non football person what club I support. In all other circumstances it's Hibs. I wouldn't imagine the folk on Hearts TV refer to them as Heart of Midlothian and I'm willing to bet the folk on Man United TV dont spend the post match analysis referring to them as Manchester United.

I would expect anybody working for the club to refer to them as Hibs, it is after all our day to day name, if you like the affectionate name for the club ....... I've known my brother Mike for 50 odd years and I cant remember the last time I ever called him Michael ..... Hibernian should be for club statements and the club badge IMO
    Are we really doing this...?

Doesn’t Leeann refer to us as Hibernian ?

Hardly crime of the century. Seems some are going out our way to nit pick

This is a weird thread.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Hibs or Hibernian not fussed which

Tanner has been a poor choice. Do you think any of the two ugly sister would give a rats ass if a few thousand of us bought their ppv?

his comments after game felt like we were watching the usual weegie based pish that BBC orSky foist upon us. Even John Collins admitting he had t seen much of a Nisbet (our star of season so far) was galling.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Hanlon, gogic, porteous gray and Ross GTF

And take the D Tanner with ye anaw

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Geezo!!! Get a grip man

It does feel that we started well with the Hibs match day stuff, putting a good bit of effort into it but now it seems to be more about getting sponsors names out there and some dull chat. I'm going to guess its a case of there simply isn't enough staff around to do everything after the cuts. I would imagine the media team is quite small atm and im guessing they have quite a bit to do. they are no doubt impacted by the lack of volunteers too

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The Celtic pandering I can understand. I've no idea how many Celtic fans bought PPV today - say a thousand for arguments sake.

That's in £15k income where otherwise there's almost nothing coming in.

Hibs will want at least the same again later in the season.

I'd much rather Tam McManus stop being so negative during the match. That's 2 weeks running he's been very critical. He can be honest and at the same time less negative in his opinions.
    Celtic fans would have had the option of an away commentary would they not. No need for Hibs tv to cover how Celtic players played and how they lost 2 points nonsense. More than enough to talk about Hibs after that game. Many good performances they could have spoken about especially guys like Sean Mackie who was outstanding.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Celtic fans would have had the option of an away commentary would they not. No need for Hibs tv to cover how Celtic players played and how they lost 2 points nonsense. More than enough to talk about Hibs after that game. Many good performances they could have spoken about especially guys like Sean Mackie who was outstanding.
    Apparently they didn't have an away commentary option. But that doesn't excuse all the Celtic chat! It's supposed to be a Hibs product.

At least we gave them the option to watch via PPV. They didn't even afford us that option.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Apparently they didn't have an away commentary option. But that doesn't excuse all the Celtic chat! It's supposed to be a Hibs product.

At least we gave them the option to watch via PPV. They didn't even afford us that option.
    Tanner doesn’t commentate. Whether they had Celtic commentary or not, they would still have had the HibsTv studio pre and post match.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Just out of interest why do you feel the need to refer to us as Hibernian as oppose to Hibs when explaining to an English person what football team you support? Being English and having lived in England virtually my entire life I would think more people here are familiar with "Hibs" than they are "Hibernian." I dont recall once ever having to explain to someone that Hibs is short for Hibernian and havent got a single friend or acquaintance that would use Hibernian before Hibs in a conversation.

Not that it really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Tanner doesn’t commentate. Whether they had Celtic commentary or not, they would still have had the HibsTv studio pre and post match.
    Not necessarily. I haven't had the home team's studio chat any time I've chosen the away commentary for any of the away matches so far - I simply get a picture of the two clubs' badges and then the Hibs TV logo for 15 minutes and then the picture restarts when the teams come back out for the second half. At full time, there's a brief summary of the match from Cliff Pike and Tam McManus and then the stream ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The Celtic pandering I can understand. I've no idea how many Celtic fans bought PPV today - say a thousand for arguments sake.

That's in £15k income where otherwise there's almost nothing coming in.

Hibs will want at least the same again later in the season.

I'd much rather Tam McManus stop being so negative during the match. That's 2 weeks running he's been very critical. He can be honest and at the same time less negative in his opinions.
    As on other threads - agreed! First half was too much and not what you expect on your own club's channel.
    Found myself stepping up my encouragement for the players in response - however bizarre that is from behind the screen!!