hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madden

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve had to re-read your posts as I got confused at the way its been written, I think we’re in agreement :)

Mackie is fouled, the assist referee tells the ref and regardless of the split second difference between the FK being taken and the whistle being blown the referee has decided that the game hasn’t re-started so he was correct to ask for it to be re-taken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, when the whistle is blown doesn't matter the only doubt is was the ball in play. Madden and I think it wasn't. No idea what the whistle blowing has to do with it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

Madden

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Yep, when the whistle is blown doesn't matter the only doubt is was the ball in play. Madden and I think it wasn't. No idea what the whistle blowing has to do with it
    You’re kinda right and wrong there..there’s countless times where a free kick/corner has been taken and the referee has blown his whistle to say ‘hold on guys’ and ordered a re-take ;)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    You’re kinda right and wrong there..there’s countless times where a free kick/corner has been taken and the referee has blown his whistle to say ‘hold on guys’ and ordered a re-take ;)

I know but it is fact the offence has happened when the ball wasn't in play that is important. The refs whistle is a signal, the point where the offence takes place is the important thing. In the case you refer to the ref blows because there has been an offence, a player may be sent off, but if the corner hadn't been taken then play has not started and the corner will be taken or retaken if it was played after the offence and the ref has blown. It is one of the laws that is easy to understand but clearly not the way I am describing it

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I know but it is fact the offence has happened when the ball wasn't in play that is important. The refs whistle is a signal, the point where the offence takes place is the important thing. In the case you refer to the ref blows because there has been an offence, a player may be sent off, but if the corner hadn't been taken then play has not started and the corner will be taken or retaken if it was played after the offence and the ref has blown. It is one of the laws that is easy to understand but clearly not the way I am describing it
    You’re describing it fine, you’re right as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Poor defending is to blame, not the ref.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    Poor defending is to blame, not the ref.

Need to get it sorted pronto

Porto does a Garry Owen for the first and Hanlon clears it straight to a Celtic forward for an early Xmas present for the second

The defending and passing was not great throughout

Did we really need to make any changes?

Could we have held on ?

We probably unwittingly kept Lenny in a job

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Great 4th official 😉😁 shhiiitteee ref
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Porto does a Garry Owen for the first and Hanlon clears it straight to a Celtic forward for an early Xmas present for the second

Could we have held on ?

Not sure how you can say our defending wasn’t good throughout. We were solid throughout. Celtic’s chances mostly came from range, they rarely, if any, got in behind us. Hanlon was outstanding, Porto less so. Two slack mistakes that were punished, purely through panicking, which happens when your holding on.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Not sure how you can say our defending wasn’t good throughout. We were solid throughout. Celtic’s chances mostly came from range, they rarely, if any, got in behind us. Hanlon was outstanding, Porto less so. Two slack mistakes that were punished, purely through panicking, which happens when your holding on.
    After the changes can you say hand on heart we did not look like conceding?

2-0 up against Celtic they are going to press you into mistakes

We let them off the hook some might say we panicked and bottled it

First half I remember Hanlon doing an excellent piece of work down our right- beat the Celtic forward for pace -cannae mind his name - tidied up really well then booted the ball out of play

The whole first half we could not pass to a green jersey or get out of our half

Did we clear our lines ?

No

Did Celtic score?

Yes twice

Boyle looks off the boil
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 21-11-2020 at 10:42 PM.

After the changes can you say hand on heart we did not look like conceding?

2-0 up against Celtic they are going to press you into mistakes

We let them off the hook some might say we panicked and bottled it

First half I remember Hanlon doing an excellent piece of work down our right- beat the Celtic forward for pace -cannae mind his name - tidied up really well then booted the ball out of play

The whole first half we could not pass to a green jersey or get out of our half

Did we clear our lines ?

No

Did Celtic score?

Yes twice

Boyle looks off the boil
    Yes, we made two mistakes late on which cost us. Your talking about our defending throughout. You’ve just highlighted a part where Hanlon defended very well. He defended the whole game extremely well until the last 2 minutes. Porteous struggled a bit more, was pretty rash charging out a few times. But on the whole Celtic created very little clear chances which is testament to our defending as a team. We did clear our lines, that was the issue, we were clearing our lines instead of keeping hold of the ball first half.

How can a referee blow his whistle simultaneously with an offence taking place unless you want Mystic Meg refereeing.

The whistle always follows the offence. The ball is not in play until the free kick is taken, the offence happened before the free kick is taken. I watched it carefully in the replay so am fairly sure that is the case and it is much like the jostling that takes place before a corner where the ref stops the corner and has a word with the players.
    Here is the rule that matters, my bold. If the free kick had been taken then Mackie is fouled then it is a foul to Hibs. I don't think it had though so Madden got it right but whistled late, perhaps because the assistant saw it

A kick-off starts both halves of a match, both halves of extra time and restarts play after a goal has been scored. Free kicks (direct or indirect), penalty kicks, throw-ins, goal kicks and corner kicks are other restarts (see Laws 13 – 17). A dropped ball is the restart when the referee stops play and the Law does not require one of the above restarts.

If an offence occurs when the ball is not in play this does not change how play is restarted.
    Have always thought that was a stupid rule so you can commit an offence but not be punished. So if a player punches an opponent in the face knocking him out it is OK because the ball is not in play. Foul play is foul play end of story.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Have always thought that was a stupid rule so you can commit an offence but not be punished. So if a player punches an opponent in the face knocking him out it is OK because the ball is not in play. Foul play is foul play end of story.
    If you punch a player in the face when the ball isn't in play then you will (if the ref sees it) get a red card. But the play will still restart as it otherwise would have done.

Yes, we made two mistakes late on which cost us. Your talking about our defending throughout. You’ve just highlighted a part where Hanlon defended very well. He defended the whole game extremely well until the last 2 minutes. Porteous struggled a bit more, was pretty rash charging out a few times. But on the whole Celtic created very little clear chances which is testament to our defending as a team. We did clear our lines, that was the issue, we were clearing our lines instead of keeping hold of the ball first half.
    Not according to Celtic TV ?

72 % possession first half

The only reason HIBS held out first half was down to more luck than judgement, poor finishing on their part and Rocky

The half-time score should have been 0-5

Oh! and it was never a penalty Broonie slipped accidentally

Our passing as a team in the first half was not good A fact alluded to by Tam McManus at half-time

Yes miles better second half indeed we deservedly went 2-0 up but lost it because we panicked when we needed to stay calm clear our lines ( RP and PH) and not give away needless free-kicks outside our box ( SDG)

Rocky who I thought was excellent yesterday needs to be more commanding decisive and assertive and come off his line more

Yes we are all disappointed Jack Ross and the players equally so but I would have taken 2-2 before kick-off

Onwards and upwards
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 22-11-2020 at 06:38 AM.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    You’d have to be crazy to think VAR would change either of those decisions
    VAR would have given the penalty, it hit his arm. We have also been on the right side of the rule.
    It's a daft ruling and its ruining the game.

Not according to Celtic TV ?

72 % possession first half

The only reason HIBS held out first half was down to more luck than judgement, poor finishing on their part and Rocky

The half-time score should have been 0-5

Oh! and it was never a penalty Broonie slipped accidentally

Our passing as a team in the first half was not good A fact alluded to by Tam McManus at half-time

Yes miles better second half indeed we deservedly went 2-0 up but lost it because we panicked when we needed to stay calm clear our lines ( RP and PH) and not give away needless free-kicks outside our box ( SDG)

Rocky who I thought was excellent yesterday needs to be more commanding decisive and assertive and come off his line more

Yes we are all disappointed Jack Ross and the players equally so but I would have taken 2-2 before kick-off

Onwards and upwards
    I agree about our passing, I don’t agree about our defending. Rocky was fine today apart from one moment second half where he’d already decided to retreat thinking the ball wouldn’t reach him. He took at least 3 crosses and punched 2 more.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    We need VAR up here simple as.

Just seen the equaliser. How is it not a foul against Duffy, he’s all over Porteous and pushes him in the back ?

I agree about our passing, I don’t agree about our defending. Rocky was fine today apart from one moment second half where he’d already decided to retreat thinking the ball wouldn’t reach him. He took at least 3 crosses and punched 2 more.
    First half Porto was lucky to get away with a lunge in the box and a couple of others

The instance when Rocky came and hesitated and the Celtic guy almost nicked in sprung to mind

It would have been so much simpler if Rocky could have came and claimed Porto’s Garry Owen using his hands and height advantage

First half defensively we were ok we got away with it Celtic should have scored but didn’t Christie engineered a few chances for himself but unsurprisingly tired after playing three games on the bounce for Scotland

I enjoyed Mackies second half tackle on Biton

Whenever I see Madden is involved in a Hibs game I expect some controversy.

He’s an awful ref.

How he missed the semi penalty claim and then yesterday once he gave the Hibs penalty it was certain he would try level things up...like he did in the semi.

I don’t rate any refs in Scotland - rarely seem to get fair performances. No wonder with the lack of refs to choose from some muppets get fast tracked.

Gamer IDs

Could we have held on ?

i cannot understand the gray substitution at all tbh.

@hibs.net private member

Could we have held on ?

100% spot on, if Porto clears properly then there is no penalty incident, if Hanlon clears properly there’s no equaliser. In recent weeks I think Porto has been poor. His distribution at best is average but his performances have gone down hill since he got into the Scotland squad and Considine and Hanlon got late call ups and played. It’s like his confidence has taken a hit. He’s a young guy and maybe a spell on the bench might help him refocus.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    i cannot understand the gray substitution at all tbh.
    Think the rationale was that we would go 5 at the back with McGinn joining Porto and Paul in a central 3. Personally understood the move as Edouard and Griffiths were creating chances centrally. What I didn't really understand was Boyle then pushing up front rather than in front of Gray to give him some protection in a 541.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    100% spot on, if Porto clears properly then there is no penalty incident, if Hanlon clears properly there’s no equaliser. In recent weeks I think Porto has been poor. His distribution at best is average but his performances have gone down hill since he got into the Scotland squad and Considine and Hanlon got late call ups and played. It’s like his confidence has taken a hit. He’s a young guy and maybe a spell on the bench might help him refocus.
    Thought Porto was better yesterday though does over commit at times but still young as a central defender wouldn't drop him tbh.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think the rationale was that we would go 5 at the back with McGinn joining Porto and Paul in a central 3. Personally understood the move as Edouard and Griffiths were creating chances centrally. What I didn't really understand was Boyle then pushing up front rather than in front of Gray to give him some protection in a 541.
    they were creating chances but just didn’t see any benefit in gray coming in when he has barely played in months. Gogic dropping into a defensive 4 3 maybe but felt it was a really poor sub.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    In hindsight, perhaps Daz might have been a better option, leaving McGinn where he was.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    In hindsight, perhaps Daz might have been a better option, leaving McGinn where he was.
    That should’ve been the only sub. McGregor would also have given us the physicality in the middle of the box at set pieces against Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post
    If you punch a player in the face when the ball isn't in play then you will (if the ref sees it) get a red card. But the play will still restart as it otherwise would have done.
    If it was the defending team that did it then a penalty should be awarded if the attacking team did it a foul should be awarded thus the original foul should be overruled. It happens in Rugby so why not football? Foul play should be punished as you are seeking to gain an advantage.IMHO
    Rangers get a penalty today because the ball was in play how many times do you see Considines type of challenge happen when the ball is not in play.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 22-11-2020 at 02:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    If it was the defending team that did it then a penalty should be awarded if the attacking team did it a foul should be awarded thus the original foul should be overruled. It happens in Rugby so why not football? Foul play should be punished as you are seeking to gain an advantage.IMHO
    Rangers get a penalty today because the ball was in play how many times do you see Considines type of challenge happen when the ball is not in play.
    Don't disagree but not sure I'd trust the law makers as they have completely messed up offside and handball and made the game far worse imo

Left by mutual consent!
    Anyone see the Dunfermline v Hearts linesman on Friday evening, near the end he gave a throw Hearts way when the ball clearly came off a Hearts player. The linesman paused, and looked like he knew he was wrong, but still gave it Hearts way. Shocking decision. I hate it when refs add loads of time on when games are tight yet there was no time to get added anyway. What's all that about?!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

At the time I genuinely thought by the laws it was a penalty. Seeing it over and over it just isn’t a penalty. While McGinn’s arm started slightly away from his body, the time he touches the ball his arm is tucked back in, and even at that, the touch is minimal, no wonder he was pishing himself laughing at it. Used to like madden, after the semi and yesterday I now hate him. Utter roaster. Then had the cheek to book Hanlon after 5 of their team had him surrounded at our penalty.