hibs.net Messageboard

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fine Margins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2-0 up at home against anybody with 20 minutes to go and not seeing it out is unacceptable.

Jack Ross does not have it in big games.

Enjoy your game last night.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I’m amazed the Gray substitution is being criticised so much.

Is it now crazy to stick on an experienced, reliable defender to try to close a game out against a team who are likely to throw everything at you and press you back? (Ok, I acknowledge he maybe gave away a daftish foul but he’s still David Gray FFS.)

I felt we maybe invited them into us a bit, we sat a bit too deep late in the game - these things may or may not have come from Ross.

The thing that bothered me most was our tendency to lash out at clearances. The 2 for the goals were obviously bad but there were other examples where we invited pressure by either not clearing our lines of just booting it wildly when composure, a touch, then booting it to where you want (if necessary) would have done the job better.

Much of the performance I have to say I thought was excellent. And regarding entertainment - we had spells where we were dominating the Champions. We had spells where they were clearly on top but not breaking us down.

Last 10 minutes wasn’t great but I enjoyed watching that about as much as it is possible to watch my team play against a team who have bundles more cash to spend on good players.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Sorry but I disagree man, shape had everything to do with it.

We took off Murphy for Gray and with that they had absolutely nothing to worry about from Hibs as an attacking threat.
    Did shape make Gray foul or Hanlon make a mess of the clearance. Naw.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I think supporters have a weak mentality.
    Agree totally.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Just woke up to this result ( Joys of living in Oz) , I know when you dig in to it and have the emotion involved it seems poor, but any point against the old firm is a good result ; they can hopefully take confidence & we can get back on the winning trail again

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Fine margins...hold out for another 90 seconds today and we go into Tuesday’s game knowing that 3 points will probably put us 2nd.

We have a run of games which I think we’ll do very well in.

Home St Johnstone
    Away Motherwell
    Away Hamilton
    Home Dundee Utd
    Home St Mirren
    Away Huns
    Home Ross County
    Home Livingston

I expect us to win the 5 home games and get at least 4 points from the other 3 aways.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Fine margins...hold out for another 90 seconds today and we go into Tuesday’s game knowing that 3 points will probably put us 2nd.

Home St Johnstone
    Away Motherwell
    Away Hamilton
    Home Dundee Utd
    Home St Mirren
    Away Huns
    Home Ross County
    Home Livingston

I expect us to win the 5 home games and get at least 4 points from the other 3 aways.
    I will go wi the old one of taking one game at a time, lets see where we end up.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Did shape make Gray foul or Hanlon make a mess of the clearance. Naw.
    Gray shouldn't have been on the pitch. So yes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I shouted at the telly and swore at Hanlon at the time, but he was pretty immense today except one time and he was punished.
    Agree thought overall he was excellent obvious mistake apart

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    The manager needs to instill a bit of calmness and composure into the team but I'm not sure if enough of the current group of players are comfortable enough on the ball.

The one position that needs strengthened is centre mid. Gogic shouldn't be be an automatic choice, does his job well but we need someone to keep the ball better for some games.

We played okay against a very beatable Celtic team. Some good performances and some erratic moments. The one thing that drives me mental most games is the amount of time we seem to give opponents compared to the amount of time we get when we have the ball from opponents. We seem unable to close up the midfield area like teams easy do to us. After we went 2-0 up we should have taken Mallan off, he was ineffective most of the game anyway and brought on more pace in midfield, and someone that would close down the space. The goals conceded were a catalogue of errors and I felt for PH as we was outstanding up to his only mistake of the match.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post

Home St Johnstone
    Away Motherwell
    Away Hamilton
    Home Dundee Utd
    Home St Mirren
    Away Huns
    Home Ross County
    Home Livingston

Hibs winning 5 in a row at home in the league is very rare.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Don’t worry you’ll soon have your own status on here too.
    Said the "God of Sunlit Wingtips"

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As someone who has been very critical of Ross, I don't think that he is deserving of more than a very light share of the blame yesterday, those were two very bad errors from our centre half's.

I have to say though that the Gray substitution mystified me, not least because of how little game time he has had, but because it meant 2 changes when only one was required.

I would have put on McGregor and left McGinn where he was, but the goals conceded were not caused by that decision,

I still think that Ross waits too long to make the subs and allows the opposition to get up a fairly strong head of steam, but on the flip side we have had some terrible luck with injuries this season and are IMO paying the price for a too small and badly unevenly constructed squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Hanlon ****ing murder. Lets see Jonnyboy defend that in his write up Utter mince.
    Finally got round to reading a thread I normally avoid.

Not sure why by you’re having a pop at me unless it’s because, unlike you with your relentless negativity, it’s because I prefer to concentrate on the positives. As to Hanlon being murder I’ll put your comment down to the fact that you’d rather focus on one, albeit costly, mistake rather than accept he’d had a good game otherwise.

You should really think about what you are writing sometimes, G.

Am happy to have ‘defended’ our captain with my view on his performance.
    This is how it feels

First Team Breakthrough
    Jack Ross was not at fault for two awful pub league errors. He does however have a habit of bottling big games. Big point though but still yet to be convinced he’s the right man. Celtic there for the taking and would have been had we reached the final and not lost to the worst Hearts side in a generation

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Finally got round to reading a thread I normally avoid.

Not sure why by you’re having a pop at me unless it’s because, unlike you with your relentless negativity, it’s because I prefer to concentrate on the positives. As to Hanlon being murder I’ll put your comment down to the fact that you’d rather focus on one, albeit costly, mistake rather than accept he’d had a good game otherwise.

You should really think about what you are writing sometimes, G.

Am happy to have ‘defended’ our captain with my view on his performance.
    One mistake by PH yesterday, was a howler mind you, but apart from that flawless
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    One mistake by PH yesterday, was a howler mind you, but apart from that flawless
    It was a such a shame because it was a truly immense individual performance up to that point.

And yes, it was a howler.

Quote Originally Posted by broondog View Post
    Jack Ross was not at fault for two awful pub league errors. He does however have a habit of bottling big games. Big point though but still yet to be convinced he’s the right man. Celtic there for the taking and would have been had we reached the final and not lost to the worst Hearts side in a generation
    Not even subtle.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broondog View Post
    I'm still a bit confused where the two pub league errors were?

Penalty? I suppose you could say it was an error by the pub league referee.

The clearance, you try and play a full 90 minutes of defence and not make one poor clearance.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Sunderland fans had complained that JRs teams dont hold out but Celtic is not a match to cite as proof. I am more concerned about 3 0 up against Hamilton at home only to be hanging on by our nails to a 3 2 win at the end. I thought his tactics were good or maybe Doidge injury forced him into it. Was goid to see after Septembers game when Frimpong exploited us we exploited Frimpong for our second.

We have the best record of any team against Celtic and Rangers this season. Granted we havent beat either yet but neither has any other side in Scotland.

We have improved and progressed to the point we are disappointed in drawing these games.

I have faith in Jack Ross and hope he will be here a long time to build something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It was a such a shame because it was a truly immense individual performance up to that point.

And yes, it was a howler.
    And a shame that his performace will be tainted pr forgotten by some, due to mis-clearance. That's football

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    We have the best record of any team against Celtic and Rangers this season. Granted we havent beat either yet but neither has any other side in Scotland.

We have improved and progressed to the point we are disappointed in drawing these games.

I have faith in Jack Ross and hope he will be here a long time to build something special.
    I don’t think I was disappointed after the Rangers game. That was a far tougher game than yesterday IMO. And despite the results being the same, I thought we were far better in that game.

Yesterday was strange. If we’re honest, we ended up 2-0 up out without having to do much for our goals really. Then we let them back in without them having to do much for their goals, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    And a shame that his performace will be tainted pr forgotten by some, due to mis-clearance. That's football
    It was the same right foot that scored at tynecastle. I can forgive it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    It was the same right foot that scored at tynecastle. I can forgive it.
    Clearance could have went anywhere, typically fell right to their player. Still a decent finish from Laxalt.

These things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurry Face View Post
    The most pleasing thing is that the future is incredibly bright. When JR does eventually leave we have quite a few world class managers right here to take over.j
    Aint that the truth.

Jack Ross haa been here a year. Someone might be along to say I'm wrong but pretty sure he has the best points total in the league outside the ugliest in those 12 months. Ross is a very good manager there's no getting away from that. Sundeland fans are now hounding out another manager who makes Ross look like Klopp. They've gone backwards since punting him. I'm very happy Ross is here and I get the feeling both him and the club want him to be here long term to build something.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I'm still a bit confused where the two pub league errors were?

Penalty? I suppose you could say it was an error by the pub league referee.

The clearance, you try and play a full 90 minutes of defence and not make one poor clearance.
    IIRC the penalty came from Porteous trying to clear it and sclaffing it straight up in the air, from whence it came down and bounced before hitting McGinn on arm on its way down again.

Agree that bad clearances happen but these were two bad errors in 10 minutes which cost us dearly. on another day we get away scot free.

Other than rebound from penalty falling to Murphy I didn't think ball or decisions ran kindly for us all day

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Jack Ross haa been here a year. Someone might be along to say I'm wrong but pretty sure he has the best points total in the league outside the ugliest in those 12 months. Ross is a very good manager there's no getting away from that. Sundeland fans are now hounding out another manager who makes Ross look like Klopp. They've gone backwards since punting him. I'm very happy Ross is here and I get the feeling both him and the club want him to be here long term to build something.

I honestly don't get what people's issue with Jack Ross is. IMHO, he's had 2 really bad results since he arrived - 1-3 home defeat to Hearts, and the cup semi final. The latter wasn't even a bad performance and could just have easily gone our way, however it didn't and so it's rightly called out as a bad result.

The "big games" stuff is garbage. Mcinnes gets it from Aberdeen fans for not beating Rangers and Celtic regularly but it's honestly a joke to expect anyone to be doing that, given the gulf in quality between the Glasgow teams and the rest of us.

He gets criticised for the style of play but I think on the whole we're pretty decent to watch, and we're among the top scorers in the league, so again I'm not sure the evidence points to us being dull.

His points return is fantastic, we're in a strong position in the league, and we've now stopped both Glasgow teams from winning on our own patch.

I honestly don't know what people are wanting/expecting from him, yet there definitely appears to be a section of the support who, for whatever reason, have the knives out for him.

To me, it seems mental - why would you chase a good manager? The point about Sunderland going backwards is very relevant, Ross did a good job there in crap circumstances - their club was a shambles and he got them within a baw hair of promotion.

Personally, I'm very happy that Ross is in charge, he handles himself well and is taking the club forward in difficult circumstances.

We should be right behind him.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net