hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearts

do they raise there game against Hibs?

An easy no - they have a way superior win rate against Dunfermline, one game means nothing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

They are SO slow. Boyce should get 20 plus goals but is hardly prolific.

Neilson signings in Halliday, Roberts, Frear and the centre half they got look bang average.

I still think they will win it but it’s not a certainty.

They got out of jail against us. They are not a particularly good side and it's far from certain they will win the league. If Raith win today that's 2 sides 4 points clear of them.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I keep reading this, and maybe in years gone by it may have been correct, but in recent times (arguably since relegation) that hasn't rung true. We beat them about as much as they beat us, with some draws chucked in. It’s two sides nowadays which in the main has players of a similar ability level, trading wins. We’ve won the last two at tynecastle, they’ve won the last two at ER. They scored their penalty at hampden when we missed ours. That’s not to do with their will to win, just unfortunate.
    Exactly. The Gorgie PR machine appears to have brainwashed a number of posters on here.
    For the avoidance of doubt, during the period to date starting after the horrendous 2012 cup final, Hearts have 11 derby wins, Hibs have 10 with 9 games drawn. You could say that an extra time penalty is all that separates us. Hardly evidence that “Hearts habitually beat Hibs” as quoted by the creepy estate agent Deans on Sportsound during the summer.

An interesting comparison is that between 1947 and 1952 Hearts won 9 and Hibs 2 with 1 draw. Going by some reactions on here it’s just as well that the Hibs.net didn’t exist then.

Oh by the way Hibs won 3 league championships during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    Exactly. The Gorgie PR machine appears to have brainwashed a number of posters on here.
    For the avoidance of doubt, during the period to date starting after the horrendous 2012 cup final, Hearts have 11 derby wins, Hibs have 10 with 9 games drawn. You could say that an extra time penalty is all that separates us. Hardly evidence that “Hearts habitually beat Hibs” as quoted by the creepy estate agent Deans on Sportsound during the summer.

An interesting comparison is that between 1947 and 1952 Hearts won 9 and Hibs 2 with 1 draw. Going by some reactions on here it’s just as well that the Hibs.net didn’t exist then.

Good post.
    I've never bought into any of the daft chat

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano Kirsty View Post
    Sadly I’m too young to remember beating them routinely, has that ever been the case? For whatever reason though, they seem to be able to be pish against all other teams but sneak the results against us? God knows why that is when, on paper, we usually have the far better team.
    When I first started going to games with my friends I only saw us lose twice by the time I was 19 in a ten year period covering 26 games

When we get beat by them I do find myself being more critical of Hibs' performance than anything Hearts have done tbh, the teams full of cloggers that Hearts used to have are long gone IMO, they just look a pretty soft side with average ability which makes some of our performances against them look even worse.

To make a comparison, one of my favourite trainers in horse racing is John Gosden. He has produced some of the best horses that have ever raced in Europe and America. Unlike other trainers, who spend more time focussing purely on their own horses and not the opposition, he spends hours, even days studying the performances of the other horses his horses are racing against in the more prestigous races, so that he is prepared for most eventualities, and can adopt different tactics if need be.

Maybe Hibs could take a leaf out of his book that way. Too often we have had better quality players than Hearts and still end up on the wrong end of the result. Maybe the management team should spend more time studying the opposition than they do, what style they use, where their strengths and weaknesses are and adapting our game accordingly, and just as importantly, replace players who struggle to perform the particular duty asked of them in these games. I suppose that goes for any game we play, but it seems to work for Hearts when they play us.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post

Hibs have had a superior team to Hearts for the majority of that period.

If the quality of the teams were switched do you think the record would be the same?

Left by mutual consent!
    The answer to the OP is yes of course they do. Neilson admitted they started pre season training six weeks early wih the sole purpose beating Hibs in the cup game. Jack Ross, on the other hand simply said we'll focus on that game when the time comes when he got asked about it a few weeks beforehand.

We still should have beaten them though despite Hearts' obsessive preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Hibs have had a superior team to Hearts for the majority of that period.

If the quality of the teams were switched do you think the record would be the same?
    Have we really? In that time we have been relegated by being utter rank (hearts got more points than us that season), and then finished country miles behind them in the championship, and then spent two years in a league below them.

Our standard of squads have been similar, and even now is fairly similar although we are slightly stronger, but over a prolonged period the results are basically as id expect.