hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Whittaker

Brilliant tonight.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Got 2 players in front who put in a shift, have pace can hassle and break well. We need that for Gogic

Looks like he carried on from his form for us last season. Still a very intelligent player, knows his limitations in regards to his mobility, but his class oozes through!

He was brilliant and so was the energy, drive and ball control from most of the Dunfermline side.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was brilliant and so was the energy, drive and ball control from most of the Dunfermline side.
    Top player. Didn't see the game over here but he's a player who looks after himself, a few years left in those legs yet

Played well tonight. Looked really up for it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Looks like he carried on from his form for us last season. Still a very intelligent player, knows his limitations in regards to his mobility, but his class oozes through!
    I have had a few drinks so probably should not be posting but I never understood why we let him go.
    He deserved another year.
    A class player with out a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
    I have had a few drinks so probably should not be posting but I never understood why we let him go.
    I could never understand the abuse he got from some fans.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Was he playing centre mid? That’s where I felt we should have been playing him.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
    I can. He has great ability but legs had already gone by the time we resigned him.

He could have a game like he did last night but it would be months before he’d produce another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Was he playing centre mid? That’s where I felt we should have been playing him.
    Yeah, glued to Naismith’s arse. Never gave him a moments peace and then kept the ball when he won it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I can. He has great ability but legs had already gone by the time we resigned him.

He could have a game like he did last night but it would be months before he’d produce another one.
    His legs hadn’t gone, he just wasn’t quick enough to deal with pacey wingers when thrown in at right back. His game at centre half against Celtic was excellent, he was then excellent in majority of games at central midfield including most of our cup games last year. He was good in most of our games that he played last season.

His legs hadn’t gone, he just wasn’t quick enough to deal with pacey wingers when thrown in at right back. His game at centre half against Celtic was excellent, he was then excellent in majority of games at central midfield including most of our cup games last year. He was good in most of our games that he played last season.
    A lot of money in wages for a player who wouldn’t play much for us this season.

Left by mutual consent! Lex7zero's Avatar

Yeah Football is all about opinions. Glad to see Whittaker doing well at Dunfermline and he used his experience well last night to nullify Naismith.
    However, it was clear that Whittaker no longer had the pace or energy for Premier League last season. Left at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    A lot of money in wages for a player who wouldn’t play much for us this season.
    Even though his wages were extremely low, one of the lowest paid players in the squad. He wouldn’t have played much, your right, however who can come in and replace Gogic either due to form or through injury? I’m not saying we definitely should’ve kept Whittaker, but saying he had one good game in months is ridiculous.

When he first came back he was struggling to tailor his game to his diminishing pace.

I thought that by the time he left he’d got the hang of what his body allowed him to do and not do, and was miles better last season than he had been for the previous 2 seasons.

It’s good to see him doing well for Dunfermline as he’s a player I always really liked.

I don’t necessarily think it was wrong to move him on, but neither am I convinced that we’ve actually made that part of the team any stronger since he did leave.

A bit like Milligan leaving - the right decision but looks like the wrong one because we didn’t bring in better.

Even though his wages were extremely low, one of the lowest paid players in the squad. He wouldn’t have played much, your right, however who can come in and replace Gogic either due to form or through injury? I’m not saying we definitely should’ve kept Whittaker, but saying he had one good game in months is ridiculous.
    You think Whitts was one of the lowest paid players in the squad?

You think Whitts was one of the lowest paid players in the squad?
    I think he was, yes. Been said on here many times he took lower wages for a longer contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I think he was, yes. Been said on here many times he took lower wages for a longer contract.
    That’s interesting. Goes against what I was told but there you go. I’d have thought we’d have kept him for another year if that was the case. Whitts or Stephen McGinn?

That’s interesting. Goes against what I was told but there you go. I’d have thought we’d have kept him for another year if that was the case. Whitts or Stephen McGinn?
    He was indeed. He came back to do his coaching, with that proviso he took a much lesser wage, he didn’t need the money. He left as he felt he could still play, and knew his chances would be few and far between. Won’t be surprised in the slightest if he returns after he stops playing to carry on his coaching career.

We need him back so Newell will stay. :-)

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex7zero View Post
    Yeah Football is all about opinions. Glad to see Whittaker doing well at Dunfermline and he used his experience well last night to nullify Naismith.
    However, it was clear that Whittaker no longer had the pace or energy for Premier League last season. Left at the right time.
    Don’t think that was clear at all last season. He was borderline motm in every game he played last season. He would have got another year I suspect if Covid hadn’t hit and we released everyone who was out of contract at the time. He’s certainly a better back up sub than Stephen McGinn for that role

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Sure that Whitts could be getting a regular game in the SPL but it wouldn't have been for us. To me, it looks like he is doing the right thing for himself at the moment. Certainly had the nous to play Naismith out of the game, and that comes from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Sure that Whitts could be getting a regular game in the SPL but it wouldn't have been for us. To me, it looks like he is doing the right thing for himself at the moment. Certainly had the nous to play Naismith out of the game, and that comes from experience.
    Agree with this. He could’ve been a squad player for us, playing league cup games, very little league games, but he needed more, and rightly so. We also needed better, first choice. I just totally disagree with the notion that his legs had totally gone and he was crap for us for months. His legs are fine, as shown last night, he’d lost his pace hence why he couldn’t play right back. Dunfermline are a cracking club for him to play at now, ambitious and mostly youthful around him.

A class player that should always be around Hibs at some point, class dont go, even if the legs go.
    Hope to see him back at E.R. some time he will be a very good coach.

Testimonial Due
    Was vulnerable from a quick winger in his first spell. Should not have been played as a fullback when he came back.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It wasn’t just facing tricky wingers he struggled with, he struggled with them in his first spell as well. It was his ability to get round the pitch.

It wasn’t just facing tricky wingers he struggled with, he struggled with them in his first spell as well. It was his ability to get round the pitch.
    It wasn’t tricky wingers it was pacey wingers, ones that could leave him for dead in 5/10 yards. He could get around the pitch no problem, watch any of the games he played last season, there was times he was bombing into the oppositions box (Dundee United home replay springs to mind), and he showed that again last night.

@hibs.net private member The Sundance Kid's Avatar
    Whittaker was excellent last night and didn’t give his old team mate Naismith a sniff.

I was very impressed by their no. 8, Kyle Turner: only 22, showed a good eye for a pass and a bundle of energy. One for us to potentially keep an eye on?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It wasn’t tricky wingers it was pacey wingers, ones that could leave him for dead in 5/10 yards. He could get around the pitch no problem, watch any of the games he played last season, there was times he was bombing into the oppositions box (Dundee United home replay springs to mind), and he showed that again last night.
    He scored goals against Killie and Partick from making gut busting runs into the box too. He wasn’t immobile, just not as fast as he was.

CDM is the perfect position for him. He still has game intelligence and bags of ability.