hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

Celtic supporter on Hibs

https://thecelticstar.com/celtic-hib...-david-potter/

interesting. The guy can’t even get our year of formation correct mind you.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Lesser greens, I'm amazed they managed to remember to spell Celtc with an I.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    What a load of pish. No wonder we hate those ********s.

Just another deluded fud, nothing to see here move along.

We are ‘defined by an obsession with Hearts’. That won’t go down well

Its actually quite well written and researched, but then goes off and becomes about his opinions. Harry Swan a dictator? I think he needs some evidence there.

First Team Breakthrough
    What a lot of bollocks.

Seems like its written by a typical weegie with a chip on his shoulder towards the capital.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Pishy article. Lightweight guff.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Its actually quite well written and researched, but then goes off and becomes about his opinions. Harry Swan a dictator? I think he needs some evidence there.
    It’s not really well researched. Have you read what he has to say about the demise of the first Hibs. That is utter gash. Sharing a rebel song, songbook, nah. Cliched, partizan pish. What you would expect from a motivated, semi literate football fan

It's good to see the 'we were first to wear the green' song annoys them. The attempt to dismiss it just proves that.

Truth be told I probably am jealous of Celtic's success, as I am that of Rangers, Liverpool or Real Madrid. Their sense of insecurity and annoyance that they are irrevocably unoriginal outweighs that tenfold though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Regular
    I met David potter once. He’s a retired teacher who lives in Kirkcaldy. Obviously written for the Celtic gallery, but he’s a decent and civilised bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    I met David potter once. He’s a retired teacher who lives in Kirkcaldy. Obviously written for the Celtic gallery, but he’s a decent and civilised bloke.
    ....who imagines loads of stuff about Hibs that isn't actually true.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    That essay is embarrassingly bad, even by condescending and glory hunting Celtic fans already low standards.

An earlier poster says this guy is a retired teacher? Christ almighty

I thought our first teams contained Catholic Highlanders who also lived in the Cowgate.Did one of our first Presidents not come from Morar which is certainly not in Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's good to see the 'we were first to wear the green' song annoys them. The attempt to dismiss it just proves that.

Truth be told I probably am jealous of Celtic's success, as I am that of Rangers, Liverpool or Real Madrid. Their sense of insecurity and annoyance that they are irrevocably unoriginal outweighs that tenfold though.
    I doubt their fans care about being unoriginal tbh. As I read that, I imagined what Hibs might have evolved into, a parallel universe scenario where Hibs turned pro and became the Edinburgh based main rival to the Hun. It could have all been so different.

Maybe all those titles and cup wins would have become boring after a while though. Hibs have won 4 trophies in my 50 years of going to matches, and I can name the dates, teams, scorers from every one of them.

I’m being serious when I say this, but the only Celtic triumph that perhaps comes close in terms of sheer emotion to 21.5.16 is the European Cup. In fact, that is probably when Glasgow saw it’s last football based mass street gathering related to football.

First Team Regular
    People will obviously dismiss lots of it because it isnt flattering to us, but some of it does ring true.

Lots of the rest of it is pish, but lets face it when it comes to football supporters, there are lots of different versions of the truth, and pish is often used to describe truths we just dont like about our club.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    People will obviously dismiss lots of it because it isnt flattering to us, but some of it does ring true.

Lots of the rest of it is pish, but lets face it when it comes to football supporters, there are lots of different versions of the truth, and pish is often used to describe truths we just dont like about our club.
    Which parts do you think ring true?

Left by mutual consent!
    Read this stuff 100 times. Patronising crap. Least he admits we were the first to wear the green and also have the best songs. And James Connolly loved Hibernian. Not Celtic.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    I’m going to take him at face value and assume he’s a fud.

@hibs.net private member
    That was nothing but a piece of crap. Typical Celtic drivel.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Which parts do you think ring true?
    Lots.

Hibs have been consistently and frustratingly plundered for players and managers by celtic.

What could / would have Jock Stein achieved had he stayed at Hibs?

Celtic werent really to blame for Hibs problems in 1890, although they certainly contributed, and were a major factor.

Hibs have suffered in cup finals more at the hands of Celtic than any other team.

Hibs should have won the Coronation Cup, and its one that really wrankles with me actually.

The 1914 and 23 finals were very much 'irish' affairs, with a sense of camaraderie between the clubs and fans, not to mention that the two managers were brothers (alec and willie maley).

I would say he is wrong on the year of Hibs founding (obviously), wrong on his geography of Edinburgh being where Hibs support comes from and his point about James Connolly is just stupid and without foundation completely.

Harry swann may well have been a dictator, i dont know - but as the discussion on here showed a few weeks back, he was not an uncontroversial character, and as was shown by the same discussion, there were Hibs fans who didnt like him. That obviously doesnt diminish his enormous achievements at Hibs, but i can understand why Celtic fans were/are annoyed or at least puzzled by his behaviour towards their flying of the Tricolour at Parkhead.

I also think he misrepresents the inspiration that Hibs gave to their Glasgow brethren in setting Celtic up.

So like i say, plenty rings true, some is pish - imo.
    Last edited by James Stephen; 20-11-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Lots.

Hibs have been consistently and frustratingly plundered for players and managers by celtic.

Celtic werent really to blame for Hibs problems in 1890, although they certainly contributed, and were a major factor.

Hibs have suffered in cup finals more at the hands of Celtic than any other team.

Hibs should have won the Coronation Cup, and its one that really wrankles with me actually.

The 1914 and 23 finals were very much 'irish' affairs, with a sense of camaraderie between the clubs and fans, not to mention that the two managers were brothers (alec and willie maley).

I would say he is wrong on the year of Hibs founding (obviously), wrong on his geography of Edinburgh being where Hibs support comes from and his point about James Connolly is just stupid and without foundation completely.

Harry swann may well have been a dictator, i dont know - but as the discussion on here showed a few weeks back, he was not an uncontroversial character, and as was shown by the same discussion, there were Hibs fans who didnt like him. That obviously doesnt diminish his enormous achievements at Hibs, but i can understand why Celtic fans were/are annoyed or at least puzzled by his behaviour towards their flying of the Tricolour at Parkhead.

I also think he misrepresents the inspiration that Hibs gave to their Glasgow brethren in setting Celtic up.

I agree with everything you say other than Swan and the flag thing. Swan was in charge on the day the vote was passed to ratify a decision made by the Referees Committee, which they had arrived at via a request from the Glasgow Magistrates. Swan was only overseeing a meeting rubber stamping a decision outwith his hands. Remember the decision also covered Rangers flying the Union Flag at Ibrox as well.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I agree with everything you say other than Swan and the flag thing. Swan was in charge on the day the vote was passed to ratify a decision made by the Referees Committee, which they had arrived at via a request from the Glasgow Magistrates. Swan was only overseeing a meeting rubber stamping a decision outwith his hands. Remember the decision also covered Rangers flying the Union Flag at Ibrox as well.
    No problem, i bow to your superior knowledge on that one. But given the common story, i can understand why celtic fans - albeit ignorantly - react they way they do.

But yeah, i accept youre right and he is wrong on that one. Convenient for Glasgow press to have an Edinburgh bogeyman to blame.

No problem, i bow to your superior knowledge on that one. But given the common story, i can understand why celtic fans - albeit ignorantly - react they way they do.

But yeah, i accept youre right and he is wrong on that one. Convenient for Glasgow press to have an Edinburgh bogeyman to blame.

....just to add - the whole thing was kicked off as Celtic fans had a few pitch invasions in the previous months. During an OF game at Parkhead with the old Rangers winning 0-4 their fans invaded the park with a linesman being assaulted and attacked by more than one of the invaders.

The fact that that aspect is rarely spoken about, whereas Swan is regularly portrayed as "leading a campaign to stop Celtic flying the tricolour" speaks volumes about the character of some of their fans.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Lots.

on the geography of Hibs support, I know it’s lazy but is there not an element of truth in it. I’ve always felt the north and east of the city is Hibs territory

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    on the geography of Hibs support, I know it’s lazy but is there not an element of truth in it. I’ve always felt the north and east of the city is Hibs territory
    I dont know that there is a right answer as such, particularly now where people move around a lot more, but i always think of Leith (and overspill in north Edinburgh) and the southside (and its overspill) as being where Hibs support was concentrated, traditionally.

And of course, Hibs support for the first 50 - 75 years of the clubs existence was very concetrated in the old town and southside, and in Leith (basically where the irish immigrants had settled in the 19th century).

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From a club who’s attendances halved when Rangers died🥳

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

That a strange one eh. If anything we aren’t obsessed enough with them

**** ra celic

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Condescending weegie guff. “Hibs supporters came out in their masses from the grim Leith tenements”... a bit rich considering the state of a lot of Celtic fans.