hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New deals

New deals

https://news.stv.tv/sport/ross-revea...mpression=true

Happy enough to keep Marciano, Newall not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Both important players for us. Hopefully get them both signed up on new deals quickly.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Not so much for Newalll? Been one of our most consistent performers

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so much for Newalll? Been one of our most consistent performers
    Definitely want to keep both if financially possible imho

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Absolute nonsense OP about Newall. He’s been brilliant 80% of this season and you clearly know nothing about football.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Absolute nonsense OP about Newall. He’s been brilliant 80% of this season and you clearly know nothing about football.
    I disagree about him being brilliant so I obviously know nothing about football either. Wouldn’t be upset if he signs, wouldn’t be upset if he doesn’t.

Would definitely want Marciano to sign though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Joe has been excellent this year and would love him to stay, will only get better imo.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Joe has been excellent this year and would love him to stay, will only get better imo.
    Yep, this is crazy talk.

The rise and rise of Joe Newell seems to have taken a dip the last couple of games but def would want him on board esp with Allan seemingly out long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

What?? Newell is a terrific player and key for us right now

@hibs.net private member

Wow!

Newell has been one of the top players this season and I think he is only just finding his stride in Scottish football... we would be insane not to secure him for longer...!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’d be happy enough with Newell signing a new deal but I think he’s far from irreplaceable. He’s been good this season but also still has question marks for me in the bigger games. Taken off twice around the hour mark against Aberdeen and yet to see him take a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck. A third player of real quality and drive in the midfield would definitely help him but descriptions of him being good when things are going well and less so when they aren’t is a fair summary for me.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I disagree about him being brilliant so I obviously know nothing about football either. Wouldn’t be upset if he signs, wouldn’t be upset if he doesn’t.

Would definitely want Marciano to sign though.
    Pretty much where I’m at.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    My foot is firmly in the keep them both camp.

@hibs.net private member
    I liked Newell before this season so hope he signs. I wouldn't have bothered about Rocky at the end of last season but he has changed my mind this year. Hope we get both for another year or two. The constant rebuilding is one of the reasons we struggle to be consistent.

Wouldn't have been too fussed about Rocky last season but would like him to stay now.

Also, not sure what Newall has to do to win some folk over- seems that being very good most weeks isn't enough. There's a strange tone to some of the criticism he gets- all this "not as good as he thinks he is" nonsense. Remember him being told to get 'back to Love Island' early on as well... all smacks of a bit of jealousy to be honest!

Newall is good with the ball at his feet but is a dream to play against. Doesn’t work hard enough to stop the other team playing.
    Our midfield was nowhere near good enough against Hearts and Aberdeen this year so I’m not really interested in keeping the same players.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Wouldn't have been too fussed about Rocky last season but would like him to stay now.

Also, not sure what Newall has to do to win some folk over- seems that being very good most weeks isn't enough. There's a strange tone to some of the criticism he gets- all this "not as good as he thinks he is" nonsense. Remember him being told to get 'back to Love Island' early on as well... all smacks of a bit of jealousy to be honest!
    I don’t see any of that criticism on this thread. It’s just simply a case that some folk don’t think he’s as good as others do.

I think he’s been good at times. Just not ‘very good’ most weeks.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 20-11-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Newall is good with the ball at his feet but is a dream to play against. Doesn’t work hard enough to stop the other team playing.
    Our midfield was nowhere near good enough against Hearts and Aberdeen this year so I’m not really interested in keeping the same players.

Usual nonsense from you on Newall.

Suppose you needed a new target when Whittaker left.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’d be happy enough with Newell signing a new deal but I think he’s far from irreplaceable. He’s been good this season but also still has question marks for me in the bigger games. Taken off twice around the hour mark against Aberdeen and yet to see him take a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck. A third player of real quality and drive in the midfield would definitely help him but descriptions of him being good when things are going well and less so when they aren’t is a fair summary for me.
    The voice of reason.

Newell, ffs. Decent enough, but not really good enough as a regular pick in the engine room of the team, if we aspire to more.

Capable of a good game, particularly against the weaker sides. Not really up for the job against the stronger teams.

I’ve seen far worse, but I won’t be troubled if he doesn’t sign up.

Rocky, despite flaws, is probably the best keeper at Hibs since Leighton. Him resigning would be very good news.

Rocky would be harder to replace than Newell. The number of bad goalkeepers we have had over the years and the over the top lauding of decent ones simply for not being bad proves how rare a genuinely good one like Rocky is.

I'd be more than happy to see both extend their stays.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Suspect one of two things.

Either they're both close enough to signing that Hibs have mentioned it, or they're nowhere near and Hibs are trying to convince us they're doing all they can.

Would like to keep both, but rocky definitely the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Look at the game against Rangers at home. Newell was instrumental in getting us back in the game and scoring the equaliser. Won the ball in Rangers half. Same in the semi final. Wins a penalty by winning the ball back high up the park.

Does that regularly - has averaged more tackles per game than Gogic.

In any objective rundown of players of the season to date, Newell is right up there in top 2/3 outwith the OF players

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Look at the game against Rangers at home. Newell was instrumental in getting us back in the game and scoring the equaliser. Won the ball in Rangers half. Same in the semi final. Wins a penalty by winning the ball back high up the park.

In any objective rundown of players of the season to date, Newell is right up there in top 2/3 outwith the OF players
    Newell has been excellent this season,a class act.. Marciano is at the peak of his career and a fantastic shot stopper. Great news all round if they extend...

Think we could all pick out stats, or isolated examples, to suit what we want. Could talk about the games, generally against better teams, where he’s been ineffectual. How there is a lack of goals and assists to his game. So I think it depends on what makes up your objective rundown.

As I’ve said previous, I don’t think he’s hopeless or anything like that. Equally just don’t think he’s one of the top two or three performers from ten teams in the league.

Coaching Staff

John McGinn played in Hibs midfields that were nowhere near good enough against the likes of Dumbarton and Alloa. Glad we are well shot of him.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Think we could all pick out stats, or isolated examples, to suit what we want. Could talk about the games, generally against better teams, where he’s been ineffectual. How there is a lack of goals and assists to his game. So I think it depends on what makes up your objective rundown.

As I’ve said previous, I don’t think he’s hopeless or anything like that. Equally just don’t think he’s one of the top two or three performers from ten teams in the league.
    Fwiw I agree completely about Newell. I think he’s looked really good in spells and has proven me wrong for the most part as I certainly never rated him last year. That said, I still think he looks like he lacks urgency at times.

I think he’s a player capable of great things rather than a great player if that makes sense.

Interesting how popular he is now, it wasn’t long ago everybody was crying out for a new midfielder and at the time he was the obvious player to be replaced.

I’d be happy if he stayed but he’s replaceable if he does leave imo.

Well I was responding to a specific claim that he hasn’t influenced a game that was going against us.

For midfielders it’s about key passes per game, passes forward, recovering the ball. In all those metrics Newell is right up there along with likes of Ryan Hedges as the most effective midfielders this year outside the OF.

Well I was responding to a specific claim that he hasn’t influenced a game that was going against us.

For midfielders it’s about key passes per game, passes forward, recovering the ball. In all those metrics Newell is right up there along with likes of Ryan Hedges as the most effective midfielders this year outside the OF.
    As I say, I think you can pick stats to suit any argument. I don’t think it’s the best way to judge. If you take our last game at Aberdeen for example, we had all the ball and he probably had it more than anyone. There would have been plenty passes completed, plenty forward but generally all completely ineffectual.

From what I’ve watched I’ve seen some good (Livi, Killie, StMirren, Hamilton and Rangers come to mind) and some not so good (Celtic, Sheep x2, Motherwell come to mind). All in all, I think he’s somewhere in between being brilliant and poor.

@hibs.net private member

It’s Newell btw