hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely that works both ways though and they can only do what their opponent (us) allowed them? Celtic had control against us that Rangers didn’t and that was down to us not doing certain things as well as they did the week before IMO.
    That would be my point of view too. We went toe to toe with The Rangers. We were strong and aggressive and stopped them playing their game. Celtic had a very easy afternoon in comparison although we did create a good few chances. Celtic are under huge pressure as is Lennon. He is a game away from the sack and looking like blowing a chance of history. We need to be right in their face from the first whistle and try to rattle them. Same as we did against a better team In The Rangers. We have been ridiculously passive in far too many games this year including three big games in the semi and two Dons matches. Ross needs to make sure we can play at the level we did against The Rangers far more often

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Our performances were pretty identical. The game wasn’t done an hour before the end. Celtic killed the game second half by being so good. Your completely missing the point that goals change games. If you seriously don’t believe that we were aggressive and competitive in the first half at Celtic park then fair enough, that’s your opinion. The game certainly ran away from us but that’s what happens when a top side turn up against you and play at the top of their game.

We had something to hold onto against rangers, we took a chance, we then got battered a bit and went behind, we then took another chance and then held on in the end. The most important aspects? Taking chances. We will create chances in every game, we will be aggressive in majority of our games. We won’t take chances in every game but that’s football.
    I’m not missing that point at all. You’ve just decided that we reacted just as well in the Celtic game, to going behind, which I obviously disagree with. They were two up after half an hour or so. To me, the game was done then.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 20-11-2020 at 10:47 PM.

I’m not missing that point at all. You’ve just decided that we reacted just as well in the Celtic game, to going behind, which I obviously disagree with. They were two up after half an hour or so. To me, the game was done then.
    They scored their second after 35/40 minutes, after we missed a couple of great chances. It wasn’t aggression that missed those chances, it was lack of composure, and that ultimately cost us the game as it allowed Celtic to relax and dominate thereafter. The way your talking we were never in the game which couldn’t be further from the truth. Lennon himself admitted that they had to be at their very best to get through that first half.

They scored their second after 35/40 minutes, after we missed a couple of great chances. It wasn’t aggression that missed those chances, it was lack of composure, and that ultimately cost us the game as it allowed Celtic to relax and dominate thereafter. The way your talking we were never in the game which couldn’t be further from the truth. Lennon himself admitted that they had to be at their very best to get through that first half.
    Nope, never said we weren’t in the game at all. We quite obviously were early on. Once they scored their second on 35 minutes (about an hour of play left if you chuck in stoppage time) we never looked remotely like getting back in to it though. We were actually quite lucky to get out with a 3-0.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Ross has a combined total of 13 games against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen since joining. 2 wins, 1 draw, 10 losses.
    That's a very poor record it has to be said. On the plus side his record against the so called lesser sides must be far better than previous Managers.

My worry about Ross is that he seems to be incapable of getting the team motivated for the bigger games. With a few exceptions the players don't seem to be at it in these games, and I don't think it is just down to lack of ability.

Lennon's Hibs had their limitations, but under his tenure we'd be gunning for Celtic tomorrow given their recent results. Not sure many Hibs supporters are looking at tomorrow's game optimistically.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 20-11-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Nope, never said we weren’t in the game at all. We quite obviously were early on. Once they scored their second on 35 minutes (about an hour of play left if you chuck in stoppage time) we never looked remotely like getting back in to it though. We were actually quite lucky to get out with a 3-0.
    You can’t legislate for missed chances, you can’t factor them into a game plan. Our aggression and style of play allowed us to create very good chances, if we take them the hour that you talk about is completely different. Just like if we don’t take the chances in the rangers game then that game is totally different. We approached both games in the same vein and having watched the first half of both games numerous times over, we were as aggressive in both, we created as many chances in both, we gave away as many chances in both, and we should’ve been at worst level in both at half time. The difference was the taking of chances which again, has heehaw to do with aggression or game plan.

You can’t legislate for missed chances, you can’t factor them into a game plan. Our aggression and style of play allowed us to create very good chances, if we take them the hour that you talk about is completely different. Just like if we don’t take the chances in the rangers game then that game is totally different. We approached both games in the same vein and having watched the first half of both games numerous times over, we were as aggressive in both, we created as many chances in both, we gave away as many chances in both, and we should’ve been at worst level in both at half time. The difference was the taking of chances which again, has heehaw to do with aggression or game plan.
    That was one of the differences. You’ve used the words should, could and if an awful lot throughout this debate. As I said earlier, you can only really judge on what actually happened and IMO, no aspect of our game was as good at Parkhead as at ER the week before. Including the fact that we were much more passive, which you obviously disagree on. That goes for in possession as well where our quality of football was nowhere near as good. We got in to a few decent positions that resulted in a couple of tame efforts. I honestly don’t think there was any comparison between the two performances but maybe best to leave it there as I’m not going to budge on that!

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    Surely thats the exception that proves the rule though?

Rangers were weaker than they had probably ever been in their entire history, and Hibs had a particuarly strong team, therefore making the gap way narrower than it would normally be.

Rangers are much stronger now, and we are weaker, and the so that gap is way bigger.

It was our strong record that was the anomaly, rather than our current one.
    Our record against Celtic would also have been better than 7 losses in 10. A Celtic side who have won 3 trebles

It mentioned Kyle is a long term injury?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Our record against Celtic would also have been better than 7 losses in 10. A Celtic side who have won 3 trebles
    We have won 50 odd out of over 300 games against them (if the stats I seen were correct), that’s 1 in 6. Our recent home record vs Celtic is fairly good, however our away record is absolutely abysmal.

Our recent records against rangers were very good, mostly when they were murder, prior to that our record against rangers was abysmal, we got pumped fairly often by them.

Any result against those two sides is absolutely huge, the gulf in finances is astronomical, both of their revenues up at £50/60m in a year that was hit with Covid. Ours is about 1/5th of that on a good year.

That may sound defeatist but that’s just the reality of the world, the clubs who spend the most in the main win the most.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Hope we put up a decent fight today. Would be pissed off to see us steamrollered again