hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic League

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So is this instead of our league or a midweek league to run alongside because if its the first option that would be horrendous.
    Its a nonsensical idea imo, but one that a few clubs including Hibs have been sounded out about. As with many ideas, it was at the "concept" stage, hence it hadnt been talked about yet.

Cormack - as usual - has opened his rentagob about this, called out Celtic over it and probably kyboshed any chances it had.

He is in danger of overtaking Budge as the biggest arse in charge of a football team in Scotland.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Its a nonsensical idea imo, but one that a few clubs including Hibs have been sounded out about. As with many ideas, it was at the "concept" stage, hence it hadnt been talked about yet.

Cormack - as usual - has opened his rentagob about this, called out Celtic over it and probably kyboshed any chances it had.

He is in danger of overtaking Budge as the biggest arse in charge of a football team in Scotland.

Absolutely, could not agree more, he is a complete self important, tosser. IMO

I hate the idea of an Atlantic league. Does this replace our League as Flash said, or is it another European tournament like Europa?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Yes, entitled Cormack is becoming a pain in the arse.
    Hope Ron Gordon can avoid looking as money and power desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    I hate the idea of an Atlantic league. Does this replace our League as Flash said, or is it another European tournament like Europa?
    Me too.

I’m pro European football, but only in a role that supplements domestic football in a healthy way.

I’m also happy to explore change and accept that our football as it is might not be perfect.

Just don’t think that this is likely to be any sort of solution, I’d be surprised if it caught the imagination of our existing fan base over what we already have, and I’d be amazed if it captured the imagination of EPL / elite European club fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Pretty sure it’s seen as a replacement. With the money that’s being talked about I would not write it off just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Pretty sure it’s seen as a replacement. With the money that’s being talked about I would not write it off just yet.

Bring it on, it's the future and the way forward imho

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Bring it on, it's the future and the way forward imho
    You'll be waiting a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    You'll be waiting a while.
    A waited a long time for us to win the cup, persevere my boy and if I live long enough this will happen sure enough
    imho.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    A waited a long time for us to win the cup, persevere my boy and if I live long enough this will happen sure enough
    imho.
    Not sure this will but there will be some sort of change soon. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some political pressure for a British league to help save the Union. The money involved means that clubs would be mad not to go for it and it looks very much like RG is up for it. Celtic didn’t pull out of this because they are loyal to the game in Scotland, they did it because they think there will be some other sort of change available soon.
    So long as Hibs are involved. That’s the most important thing. We can’t afford to be left behind.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d be very comfortable if Hibs came out publicly and stated that we want nothing to do with this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I’d be very comfortable if Hibs came out publicly and stated that we want nothing to do with this crap.
    I very much doubt Ron Gordon is here to see us just carry on as we always have. He’s here to make money and these plans are all game changers on that front. RG made his money in TV and will know exactly what needs to be done to increase Hibs TV exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    If it's going to happen and I think something will happen in the near future then I wouldn't want Hibs to be left behindm. I'm not sure how it will shape up but pretty sure there will be something along soon.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I very much doubt Ron Gordon is here to see us just carry on as we always have. He’s here to make money and these plans are all game changers on that front. RG made his money in TV and will know exactly what needs to be done to increase Hibs TV exposure.

If he wants to pull Hibs out of Scottish Football for this then he can bugger off in my opinion. I want nothing to do with this.

There are already three different European competitions, so any Atlantic League would replace the domestic leagues. Other than "not being left behind", I can't see what's in this for Hibs.

At present we have no chance of winning the league, and the introduction of the top teams from Belgium/Holland/Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland will only push us further down the table. That will make it even harder to qualify for Europe.

If we're detached from the Scottish league system, would we still be able to enter the Scottish Cup or League Cup? If not, that's our two chances of silverware gone.

It's a bad idea and as a Hibs fan I hope it goes nowhere.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    If he wants to pull Hibs out of Scottish Football for this then he can bugger off in my opinion. I want nothing to do with this.
    30+ years ago the footballing world was an unrecognisably different place, the bigger leagues and clubs still held the advantage with bigger crowds and more sponsorship but relatively speaking, most things were more even on a sporting front.....in 1987 the UEFA Cup final was between Gothembourg and Dundee Utd, a Dundee Utd side that beat Barcelona on the way. That is unthinkable now, the gap between the big leagues and the rest is so huge its practically a different game.
    Sadly we need to evolve to stand a chance. We could be taken over by the English league or we could start our own with our Scandic brothers....actually, never understood why we've never tried to tempt some of the bigger Irish clubs to come play with us to add a bit of scale. We can debate how we evolve and what would be best, but the status quo is seeing us struggle to compete with English 3rd tier clubs for players....we need to change the direction of travel.

@hibs.net private member
    He’s certainly doesn’t care too much about traditions . He was quoted a few months ago saying that he preferred the American method where teams couldn’t get relegated ..I suspect the 350M potential TV deal is more interesting to him than staying in the Scottish League .

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    30+ years ago the footballing world was an unrecognisably different place, the bigger leagues and clubs still held the advantage with bigger crowds and more sponsorship but relatively speaking, most things were more even on a sporting front.....in 1987 the UEFA Cup final was between Gothembourg and Dundee Utd, a Dundee Utd side that beat Barcelona on the way. That is unthinkable now, the gap between the big leagues and the rest is so huge its practically a different game.
    Sadly we need to evolve to stand a chance. We could be taken over by the English league or we could start our own with our Scandic brothers....actually, never understood why we've never tried to tempt some of the bigger Irish clubs to come play with us to add a bit of scale. We can debate how we evolve and what would be best, but the status quo is seeing us struggle to compete with English 3rd tier clubs for players....we need to change the direction of travel.
    I get all of that, I do. However I have no interest in it, I’m a fan of Scottish football as well as Hibs and have no interest in watching us play teams we have no connection with. If Hibs move on and evolve into an Atlantic I’d probably stop going. Playing in Europe is a prize for having a good domestic season.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    He’s certainly doesn’t care too much about traditions . He was quoted a few months ago saying that he preferred the American method where teams couldn’t get relegated ..I suspect the 350M potential TV deal is more interesting to him than staying in the Scottish League .
    People think the league can be stale just now imagine no relegation

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    There are already three different European competitions, so any Atlantic League would replace the domestic leagues. Other than "not being left behind", I can't see what's in this for Hibs.

At present we have no chance of winning the league, and the introduction of the top teams from Belgium/Holland/Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland will only push us further down the table. That will make it even harder to qualify for Europe.

If we're detached from the Scottish league system, would we still be able to enter the Scottish Cup or League Cup? If not, that's our two chances of silverware gone.

It's a bad idea and as a Hibs fan I hope it goes nowhere.
    What’s in it for Hibs is money. The levels of cash involved would allow Hibs to bring a lot higher standard of Player to Easter road.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    I’m all for it, Scottish Football is a backwater with too many clubs that add nothing to the league set up and fans that are counted in the 100’s , Hibs need to move on from it if we are to progress

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    What’s in it for Hibs is money. The levels of cash involved would allow Hibs to bring a lot higher standard of Player to Easter road.

Completely agree, and Edinburgh is an attractive away fixture for a lot of fans of those teams, give us a much higher profile

@hibs.net private member
    Fair point - would be horrible ..the great thing about our game is that if you win enough points, you get promoted ....

But we won't gain any advantage from those better players.

Our direct competitors in the Atlantic League will also get that TV money and will be able to afford that standard of player, whilst the larger clubs will be able to get even better players. And there will be more of those larger clubs than just the two Ugly Sisters that we have to face at present.

So in relative terms we'll have lost ground and that means we won't be pushing for a top four and Europe but instead attempting to finish in the bottom half of the league, or to get promoted from the second tier.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Our direct competitors in the Atlantic League will also get that TV money and will be able to afford that standard of player, whilst the larger clubs will be able to get even better players. And there will be more of those larger clubs than just the two Ugly Sisters that we have to face at present.

So in relative terms we'll have lost ground and that means we won't be pushing for a top four and Europe but instead attempting to finish in the bottom half of the league, or to get promoted from the second tier.
    We'll have more growth potential, be playing against better opposition and have better players.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's easy if you try

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

The quality of football you will be watching will be a lot higher though. And I personally think Hibs have great potential in that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allan Key View Post
    It's easy if you try

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    The proposals have relegation though...

@hibs.net private member
    It’s kind of weird reading critics of the AL talking about saving Scottish football, lets just reconstruct our league or join some British league. Here is an apparently well funded proposal that could triple our income , value and mean a quality of football not seen for 20 years or so..it apparently has support within uefa and sfa/ spfl so worries about returning to the spfl if it flips should be eased. How many fully professionalised clubs do we have in Scotland ? We’ve got 2 giants and 3 big clubs , with the 2 Edinburgh clubs at least potentially much bigger. Outside of these only Dundee United and perhaps a revitalised Dundee could aspire to crowds around 10k. The rest I doubt have the fan base or even aspirations to join a 1st tier Atlantic League. The likes of Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone may rather be happy with some form of access to a 2nd tier AL perhaps done on a regionalised basis , if the the AL does happen or something like uefa organised cross border leagues, I reckon 5 Scots clubs in some form of AL would be fantastic. I think their B teams would play in a reconstructed spfl . AL away games will be live streamed so we’d have a home game every week. The B teams would include fringe players and injury recoveries from the A team plus top development talent so I think the spfl would remain very interesting and viable. Isn’t that what’s happening in the big 5 European leagues. A team plays ECL, A* B play EPL , B play FA cup and league cup. Bring it on Ron.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Not sure if this Atlantic? (North Sea) League is the answer but I’m glad we’re involved, like others said we need to at the front of any proposals and keep our brand relevant, not get left behind.
    Some seem to be content with us being a biggish fish swimming around a very small pond dominated by two huge ugly fish with our goal being qualification into what will soon be Uefa’s third tier competition for the diddy nations.
    I would rather us have the opportunity to swim in a much bigger pond with some other larger fish and be given the opportunity to maybe grow into a larger fish.
    Would be interesting to compete against some Scandinavian clubs or whatever than continue to play Hamilton & Livi four times a season.
    All I’m saying is I wouldn’t want to rule anything out before properly looking at the proposals