@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any clips of Neville and Keanes views?
    Why do I bother?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The truth is that despite all the noise and statements to the contrary, people will want to watch the best players in the top teams.

A few die hard fans may choose not to, but billions of people around the globe will be glued to it.

Of course it's all about self interest and greed, but when push comes to shove, football is entertainment and Man U v Barcelona in a Super League fixture would be more attractive to most than, for example, a Leicester v Southampton FA Cup semi-final.
    Maybe to begin with, but I’d imagine if it was on a subscription channel then not as many would tune in. Wonder what the viewing figures are for knockout champions league games, that’s about as comparable as it gets. Would start off with more viewers than that, and end up with less when the novelty wears off I think.

What about Inter vs Arsenal, 8th vs 10th in an end of season clash? Hardly going to be swimming in numbers.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m not convinced it will happen ...this time

Neville's rant was absolutely bang on IMO. Sensational. Sky are also just as culpable.

This needs binned pronto or the game is well and truly finished.

Unless of course they want to take Celtic and The Rangers.. in which case carry on.

[QUOTE=The Spaceman;6530628]I am just pleased we Hibs fans can sit and watch this all play out with popcorn in hand.

It will effect Hibs - Celtic and Rangers will be off to the 3rd / 4th tier of whatever it becomes. Hibs will be left playing Hamilton, Dundee, Hearts etc. on some obscure Estonian tv channel at 4pm on a Monday afternoon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    https://youtu.be/GP05EDm9EB8
    Interesting take from Neville and hard not to agree. The English game sold out to money a long time ago though. Compare with Germany where the Bundesliga clubs can't bring in money to compete with the English clubs due to the club ownership rules. That should be rewarded. Are Sky and Neville happy for English clubs to have less money and lose out on the best players? I think there are a bit of mixed motives.

It's going to be really hard now with most British clubs privately owned but there should at least be a debate about some kind of regulation to protect them for their communities. Hibs appear to be in good ownership just now but what if the next guy/girl isn't?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Yorkshire HFC;6530690]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    I am just pleased we Hibs fans can sit and watch this all play out with popcorn in hand.

It will effect Hibs - Celtic and Rangers will be off to the 3rd / 4th tier of whatever it becomes. Hibs will be left playing Hamilton, Dundee, Hearts etc. on some obscure Estonian tv channel at 4pm on a Monday afternoon.
    There is no 3rd or 4th tier. This is about 1 thing only and that's the biggest clubs in Europe maximising revenue through worldwide TV audiences.

They don't really care about what happens in 2 or 3 tiers below that. Infact in their eyes it's better not to have tiers below them at all as none of these clubs want the threat of relegation outwith the gravy train.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Rio on BT Sport steaming in now too. Being universally hammered

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I agree with Gary Neville: the owners of the clubs involved will bottle it and try to pretend it was never a serious proposal but just a brainstorming session on Zoom calls. I will be astonished if they see it through at risk of being expelled from their domestic leagues. It just further demonstrates the way top level football has moved away from sport and completely towards business. The owners of the clubs involved won't feel ashamed; they have no shame.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 18-04-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Could listen to Rio all day, think he is brilliant. "Embarrassed to be a Utd fan".

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Could listen to Rio all day, think he is brilliant. "Embarrassed to be a Utd fan".
    From Peckham!

Atlast something might happen to remove power from associations which lets face it are dictatorships at worst and monopolies at best. FIFA threatening to ban players from Workd cups and Internationals if they breakaway is a perfect example of dictating not only to clubs and players but also to fans. Its about time that clubs are able to take such decisions for themselves. My only provisio would be that any breakaway club takes their ST holders views into account. I personally as a ST holder I would go for it because it would be a format very much worth watching.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    Atlast something might happen to remove power from associations which lets face it are dictatorships at worst and monopolies at best. FIFA threatening to ban players from Workd cups and Internationals if they breakaway is a perfect example of dictating not only to clubs and players but also to fans. Its about time that clubs are able to take such decisions for themselves. My only provisio would be that any breakaway club takes their ST holders views into account. I personally as a ST holder I would go for it because it would be a format very much worth watching.
    ffs

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    What did Roy Keane and Gary Neville say when AIG plastered their corporate logo over the Busby Babes memorial banner outside OT? Or when their fans were fighting like **** to save the club from the Glazers? Or when their club hold back thousands of tickets to sell to tourists thus reducing the number of working class Mancs at the games?

Laughable.
    Do you not agree with what Neville said and are you not glad he did so on live national tv?

The truth is that despite all the noise and statements to the contrary, people will want to watch the best players in the top teams.

A few die hard fans may choose not to, but billions of people around the globe will be glued to it.

Of course it's all about self interest and greed, but when push comes to shove, football is entertainment and Man U v Barcelona in a Super League fixture would be more attractive to most than, for example, a Leicester v Southampton FA Cup semi-final.
    Sure, if we want the game to go even more towards a tv, money and tourism sport than it already is.

Personally I can go without super teams and super leagues if it means having a chance of keeping the game we know and love. I think any genuine supporter of any team (whether one of the potential super league participants, or a national league side will feel the same).

You’re right though, people will still watch it, which I’m sure is the only point you were making. But it’ll be game over for football as we know it surely.

VAR was enough for me. This **** is just taking the p1ss now.

Go on Gary Neville.

Neville and Rio will hopefully just be the start of high profile ex players of these clubs to come out and give them both barrels. Savage was making a great point about grassroots as well, and the point I’ve been making for months about this Atlantic league suggestion, if we abandon grassroots and the Scottish game then it’s lost for good, then all we will be doing is watching the best players from other countries play for Hibernian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    agreed. Neville’s a hypocrite.

said some very condescending and disrespectful things about the united fans involved in the setting up of FC United all those years ago.

and then there’s taking an established 70 year old non league club and wiping out their identity, changing their colours etc
    Yep, destroyed a historic non-league club to feed his own ego and turn it into a mini Manchester United.

Where is the statement? Have the clubs involved bottled out already?

I'd rather watch hibs in the 4th tier than an Atlantic league. If we team with the old firm and Hearts to **** Scottish football I'll protest it like the generation before me did mercer. Its utterly disgusting and I would walk away from hibs if it happened.

Fair play to Gary Neville. Agree with everything he said.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I'd rather watch hibs in the 4th tier than an Atlantic league. If we team with the old firm and Hearts to **** Scottish football I'll protest it like the generation before me did mercer. Its utterly disgusting and I would walk away from hibs if it happened.
    Correct. I would fully concur

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

all hail the market, let us all submit to it and hope that it's riches trickle down, it's for the greater good

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    same. I will not be following Hibs out of Scottish football.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Correct. I would fully concur
    Me tae. Not that I ever see it happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Where is the statement? Have the clubs involved bottled out already?
    I think Gary Neville was spot on, including how they'd be bottling it and amending the statement. Which is probably why nothing has come out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    same. I will not be following Hibs out of Scottish football.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Me tae. Not that I ever see it happening though.
    By the time it happens you’ll convince yourself that it was unavoidable and Hibs had to jump because everyone else had. Fact is, Hibs have already signalled a willingness to look at a different league and I think it’s only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    It is pretty funny watching these ex-players whinge about this when they were the beneficiaries of obscene television money pouring into football. Suddenly they’re against “greed” in football and claiming to speak for fans. Hypocritical pish.

It’s an awful idea but football was dying long before this and fans haven’t been a priority for decades. What’s the difference now?