hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic League

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have doubts whether profit for RG has anything to do with it. The reality of things now is that a gulf is growing between, Aberdeen-Hearts-Hibs and the other non OF teams. Unless we want to see a league year in year out from next season on which sees no change in the top five spots in the league then we will have to go for change.
    When was the last time the top 5 places were filled by those 5 clubs?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    I have doubts whether profit for RG has anything to do with it. The reality of things now is that a gulf is growing between, Aberdeen-Hearts-Hibs and the other non OF teams. Unless we want to see a league year in year out from next season on which sees no change in the top five spots in the league then we will have to go for change.
    we finished 7th last season and hearts were relegated. Come to think of it hearts haven’t been top 5 since 2017. And back then we were in the championship. If you mean financially then you’ve got a point, but there’s no sign of the top 5 positions being solidified by the teams you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    When was the last time the top 5 places were filled by those 5 clubs?
    2004/05

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/dea...mpression=true

Interesting article on latest moves for Euro super league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/dea...mpression=true

Interesting article on latest moves for Euro super league.

Interesting and in depth read. It relates to the wider picture and has nothing to do with the North Sea League talk.

JP Morgan again part of the financial planning. However, critics saying the proposed 6billion funding won’t sustain the hypothetical European Super League for more than a season.

Clear and naked greed behind these proposals. The cartel that dominate football can’t afford wee teams like Leicester or Atalanta to take their entitled places at the trough that is the Champions League. They don’t want competition nor can they afford it.

Huge clubs that are run as appalling business models are in deep trouble ( it mentions Barca, Roma, Dortmund as examples). Football in Europe seen as a cheap way to buy into a sport with a global profile, so attracting the international money that we see so obviously in England.

Anyone in any doubt as to what football has become should have a look.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Interesting and in depth read. It relates to the wider picture and has nothing to do with the North Sea League talk.

JP Morgan again part of the financial planning. However, critics saying the proposed 6billion funding won’t sustain the hypothetical European Super League for more than a season.

Clear and naked greed behind these proposals. The cartel that dominate football can’t afford wee teams like Leicester or Atalanta to take their entitled places at the trough that is the Champions League. They don’t want competition nor can they afford it.

Huge clubs that are run as appalling business models are in deep trouble ( it mentions Barca, Roma, Dortmund as examples). Football in Europe seen as a cheap way to buy into a sport with a global profile, so attracting the international money that we see so obviously in England.

Anyone in any doubt as to what football has become should have a look.
    A good read. Jist of it and another couple I’ve read suggests UEFA will have expanded ECL to accommodate up to 6 English clubs. A bit more space for smaller nations champs. Change format of ECL to a type of conference format ensuring 10 games prior to round of 16. Top 16 from I think 36 in a single ‘league table’ qualify, 17-24 got to Europa Cup. Seems to me to be the bones of a 3 tier league set up under UEFA, and maintenance of domestic leagues for qualification purposes. Wonder if the Europa League and the new conference league will be structured similarly if this is true? Could work if promotion / relegation between the 3 tiers possibly?

UEFA obviously taking recent chat seriously. Empty threat in my opinion but it will give them time to work out how to give the big clubs what the want anyway within their own set up. A Euro league is not far away, probably by stealth of turning the Champions league into it. Eventually they will move it to the weekends and the clubs will withdraw from their domestic leagues.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

UEFA obviously taking recent chat seriously. Empty threat in my opinion but it will give them time to work out how to give the big clubs what the want anyway within their own set up. A Euro league is not far away, probably by stealth of turning the Champions league into it. Eventually they will move it to the weekends and the clubs will withdraw from their domestic leagues.

A good thing IMO, a Euro league for us would be *****.

Outstanding news that. They can shove their Super league and the likes up their hoops.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Your takeaway from that text is - a euro league isn’t far away?

Is there another bit to it I haven’t seen??

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

I was thinking the same thing.

Ozyhibby sees what he wants to see, seemingly

@hibs.net private member

Have you got the rest of the text?

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

No. I think that this happens almost every year now and every time UEFA give the big clubs more and more in order to make the threat of a breakaway go away. It doesn’t go away though. The champions league is getting more like a European super league every year and it won’t be long before certain big team are guaranteed entry every year.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Think this statement was aimed at the likes of Liverpool, Barcelona & Juventus etc and their chat of a closed shop super league and not the Atlantic league. What it does mean though is that any proposed set up involving Scottish & Scandinavian clubs would have to include proposals on a relegation/promotion mechanism and no ‘closed shop’

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post

I was thinking the same thing.

Ozyhibby sees what he wants to see, seemingly

I think the point is that UEFA wouldn’t be issuing threats unless it considered the proposed breakaway league to be a serious possibility.

Hopefully this puts an end to it. Nonsense idea. Players definitely will not be in favour of it now.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6428500]

Really hope/wish they mean it, stopped watching European footie a while back because of the naked corruption & closed shop nature of the 'product.' Used to love watching Barca in particular but don't miss it at all now.
    Absolutely nothing in it for the teams outside the big 4/5 (?).

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Hopefully this puts an end to it. Nonsense idea. Players definitely will not be in favour of it now.
    That would depend on how badly players want to play for their country instead of collecting the inflated wage packets offered by the closed shop league.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    That would depend on how badly players want to play for their country instead of collecting the inflated wage packets offered by the closed shop league.
    They are perma banned though, meaning if they played in the super league for a year, they could never return to a domestic league. Thats huge.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    They are perma banned though, meaning if they played in the super league for a year, they could never return to a domestic league. Thats huge.
    Only if that is how the rule is enforced, and I'm not convinced that it could be sine die when you look at the bans on dopers and gamblers.

It's more likely that young players would play in the officially recognised leagues to make their names and get a few caps, then disappear for the money. No different to a young player leaving their first club for a bigger salary sitting on the bench at the Ugly Sisters.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

This is Uefa’s new proposals for the champions league. This is how a European super league will happen. Slowly, season by season incremental changes so that moving the games to the weekend seems sensible by the time they suggest it and the clubs are already fielding weaker teams domestically.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

This is Uefa’s new proposals for the champions league. This is how a European super league will happen. Slowly, season by season incremental changes so that moving the games to the weekend seems sensible by the time they suggest it and the clubs are already fielding weaker teams domestically.

A money fest. Not for me.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

It us a certainty to happen and the main reason is the final sentence. Increased revenue. This is not about winning trophies it's all about making money

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    A money fest. Not for me.
    nor me.

if it is slow and incremental we probably don’t need to worry about a crap Atlantic league setup for maybe another couple of decades.

Yeah, thin end of an ever growing wedge.
    The big teams will become massive and the EPL will fall backwards and their TV contracts will fall away.
    Might help Scotland by making the non Euro League English teams much poorer.

The second bullet point on the list is the one that’s really worrying and why all these proposals to consolidate power and wealth in the hands of the big clubs needs to opposed at every turn. People need to be united on it rather than just saying ‘aw well it’s going to happen we may as well make the best of it’.

Regardless of whether people think they would prefer trips to Scandinavia every other week as opposed to Motherwell, surely most people can agree that “elite clubs” just being given spots that they haven’t earned is just plain wrong?

Wonder who decides and more importantly what makes you an elite club.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Wonder who decides and more importantly what makes you an elite club.
    Money

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    So clubs who fail to qualify on merit will be given special dispensation because they will carry elite status. I wonder what will make them elite clubs..? If, and it’s not a very big if, it’s financial status that’s the whole thing humped.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    The second bullet point on the list is the one that’s really worrying and why all these proposals to consolidate power and wealth in the hands of the big clubs needs to opposed at every turn. People need to be united on it rather than just saying ‘aw well it’s going to happen we may as well make the best of it’.

Regardless of whether people think they would prefer trips to Scandinavia every other week as opposed to Motherwell, surely most people can agree that “elite clubs” just being given spots that they haven’t earned is just plain wrong?
    That ship sailed when they made the champions league the league for champions and other clubs who could actually have finished as far down the league as fourth. All about cash and UEFA are terrified that the big clubs would just up and leave anyway if they stopped this. It is definitely not what I feel an attachment to and I honestly thing in the last ten years I've not watched more than a dozen champions league matches