hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic League

@hibs.net private member

Atlantic League

Apparently Celtic have pulled out of plans for a cross border league of 20 , 5 from Scotland , Sweden, Denmark , 4 from Norway and 1 Irish club. Was supposedly going to be backed by JP Morgan , £900m guaranteed for 4 years in total. Desmond keener on some British set up or status quo. Does Desmond think Celtic will get into the Premiership ? Thoughts on this ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Saw sense more like. Atlantic League one of the worst proposals ever put on a table.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Sounds like a terrible idea. I’ve no idea why anyone with the finances to back it would even bother. The interest just wouldn’t be there.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'd be in favour of a combined Northern League IF it still had a pyramid system, i.e. top division or two internationally and national leagues below that.

I'd prefer a northern league to a UK league tbh as we'd never be in the top division if that happened.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but the money involved would mean better players playing at Easter Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like a terrible idea. I’ve no idea why anyone with the finances to back it would even bother. The interest just wouldn’t be there.
    £1billon TV deal but you think there will be no interest?

There is the rest of the article if anyone is interested in reading.

Two things from that article stand out. One is that Hibs are involved and are keen on it, which answers the question why did Ron Gordon get involved at Hibs? With those sorts of figures involved he will get a very healthy return on his money. Second is that there is no way Celtic pulled out because they love the status quo. They must have another idea for change that suits them better.
    One way or another, change is coming soon. And I’m glad Hibs are in there trying to shape it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Two things from that article stand out. One is that Hibs are involved and are keen on it, which answers the question why did Ron Gordon get involved at Hibs? With those sorts of figures involved he will get a very healthy return on his money. Second is that there is no way Celtic pulled out because they love the status quo. They must have another idea for change that suits them better.
    One way or another, change is coming soon. And I’m glad Hibs are in there trying to shape it.

That’s largely how I see it regarding RG’s involvement with us and Celtic have something else up their sleeve. Maybe Celtic waiting to see how the EPL and Euro Super League play out. A TV deal giving Hibs something like £20-30 million over 4 seasons would be huge. We would attract and keep at least Championship level players. Easter Road would be full too. Can’t get the negativity around it. Probably have our B team in the Scottish set up too

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    That’s largely how I see it regarding RG’s involvement with us and Celtic have something else up their sleeve. Maybe Celtic waiting to see how the EPL and Euro Super League play out. A TV deal giving Hibs something like £20-30 million over 4 seasons would be huge. We would attract and keep at least Championship level players. Easter Road would be full too. Can’t get the negativity around it. Probably have our B team in the Scottish set up too
    really? You can’t see why people might not like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    I can see why some people wouldn’t like it. I also think it’s happening regardless. Not sure exactly how it will look but there will be change.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes. Hibs get additional £5 -10 million per year to spend on players. Could mean 10 players earning 10-20k per week. Puts us roughly on a par with Rangers current wages I reckon. Who could we afford then? Any player in Scotland and lots of quality English and other foreign players. ER would be jumping and corners filled in.

No interest in it what so ever. Doesn't even have the Dutch or Belgian teams in it which at least would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Yes. Hibs get additional £5 -10 million per year to spend on players. Could mean 10 players earning 10-20k per week. Puts us roughly on a par with Rangers current wages I reckon. Who could we afford then? Any player in Scotland and lots of quality English and other foreign players. ER would be jumping and corners filled in.
    Means that we can hold on to players like John McGinn longer and when we do sell we get full value for our player.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    No interest in it what so ever. Doesn't even have the Dutch or Belgian teams in it which at least would be something.
    Probably a good thing for Hibs because the Dutch and Belgian teams may mean less room for Hibs.

Will almost certainly stop going if it happens. Zero interest in Molde away on a Wednesday night battle for 10th place. Sounds absolutely awful.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    £1billon TV deal but you think there will be no interest?

£1B tv deal but Celtc say nah...

I call bull**** on the TV deal, because nobody is interested in a ****ty league of teams who most folk couldn't care less about.

You can laugh all you want, but there's been chat of this for nearly 20 years. It really wouldn't take that long to arrange it if it was something that people actually wanted.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Will almost certainly stop going if it happens. Zero interest in Molde away on a Wednesday night battle for 10th place. Sounds absolutely awful.
    you won’t be the only one. Its not for me. There may well be new supporters to replace us (at least for a year or two until the novelty wears off) but I think a good few traditional fans will want nothing to do with this.

Probably a good thing for Hibs because the Dutch and Belgian teams may mean less room for Hibs.

I get what your saying but who are the 5th best teams in Sweden and Denmark. 4th best team in Norway? Sack that and without the Dutch and Belgians I can't believe someone wants to pay £900 million for it.

Viking League,

I think this would be great for our game, stir up some of the little tin-pot dictators we have in the Scottish game. Should change the name to the Viking League, stuff celic let them do what they want? This is the way ahead all for such ideas.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I get what your saying but who are the 5th best teams in Sweden and Denmark. 4th best team in Norway? Sack that and without the Dutch and Belgians I can't believe someone wants to pay £900 million for it.
    Take your point. Reckon the idea was to invite the biggest clubs in terms of fan base.

Left by mutual consent!
    you won’t be the only one. Its not for me. There may well be new supporters to replace us (at least for a year or two until the novelty wears off) but I think a good few traditional fans will want nothing to do with this.
    Then the traditional fans are impoverishing Hibs with their michty me parochialism. I'd rather see games v the Scandinavian teams then Hamilton, that's for sure.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    £1B tv deal but Celtc say nah...

I call bull**** on the TV deal, because nobody is interested in a ****ty league of teams who most folk couldn't care less about.

You can laugh all you want, but there's been chat of this for nearly 20 years. It really wouldn't take that long to arrange it if it was something that people actually wanted.
    I doubt Celtic are saying No to change. They are more likely waiting to see if a different kind of change suits them better financially. Clubs all over Europe have just taken a massive financial hit. There are going to be more than a few looking to get their business’s back in the black and this is one way of doing it for some.
    I’m certain Hibs will be looking at it positively.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allan Key View Post
    Then the traditional fans are impoverishing Hibs with their michty me parochialism. I'd rather see games v the Scandinavian teams then Hamilton, that's for sure.

Hibs V Molde away on a horrible Wednesday night though? Hibs v Molde with John McGinn still playing for Hibs though? That would likely change some minds.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hibs V Molde away on a horrible Wednesday night though? Hibs v Molde with John McGinn still playing for Hibs though? That would likely change some minds.

That's the implication. Having a lot of money and having a mix of very good British and foreign players could make for a very interesting league IMHO. Also, these countries are rich, as is Scotland, and can offer a great quality of life to the players.

Will the premier league suddenly collapse? If not, he wouldn't still be at Hibs.

Will the premier league suddenly collapse? If not, he wouldn't still be at Hibs.
    Had we had it already he may never have left. I’m not saying he is coming back, I’m just pointing out that we don’t have to be watching the quality player we are just now. There is a way to bring in higher quality footballers to Easter road. RG would be failing his customers if he didn’t take that chance. It’s clear from the article that Hibs and Hearts are looking for an escape route.

@hibs.net private member
    Had we had it already he may never have left. I’m not saying he is coming back, I’m just pointing out that we don’t have to be watching the quality player we are just now. There is a way to bring in higher quality footballers to Easter road. RG would be failing his customers if he didn’t take that chance. It’s clear from the article that Hibs and Hearts are looking for an escape route.

Good point , what did he leave us for . A ridiculous low fee and 10k per week. I know he’s on more now but if we’d been in this set up 5 years ago we’d be able to pay him possibly 20k pw until we got a crazy offer

RG will be massively failing his customers by not even consulting them on a decision that will impact us long after he's gone.

@hibs.net private member
    RG will be massively failing his customers by not even consulting them on a decision that will impact us long after he's gone.
    Fair point but it’s bank account he’ll be thinking about. The price you pay for a non fan owner