hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic League

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member

Atlantic League

Apparently Celtic have pulled out of plans for a cross border league of 20 , 5 from Scotland , Sweden, Denmark , 4 from Norway and 1 Irish club. Was supposedly going to be backed by JP Morgan , £900m guaranteed for 4 years in total. Desmond keener on some British set up or status quo. Does Desmond think Celtic will get into the Premiership ? Thoughts on this ?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Saw sense more like. Atlantic League one of the worst proposals ever put on a table.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Sounds like a terrible idea. I’ve no idea why anyone with the finances to back it would even bother. The interest just wouldn’t be there.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'd be in favour of a combined Northern League IF it still had a pyramid system, i.e. top division or two internationally and national leagues below that.

I'd prefer a northern league to a UK league tbh as we'd never be in the top division if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like a terrible idea. I’ve no idea why anyone with the finances to back it would even bother. The interest just wouldn’t be there.
    £1billon TV deal but you think there will be no interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    £1billon TV deal but you think there will be no interest?

£1B tv deal but Celtc say nah...

I call bull**** on the TV deal, because nobody is interested in a ****ty league of teams who most folk couldn't care less about.

You can laugh all you want, but there's been chat of this for nearly 20 years. It really wouldn't take that long to arrange it if it was something that people actually wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    £1B tv deal but Celtc say nah...

I call bull**** on the TV deal, because nobody is interested in a ****ty league of teams who most folk couldn't care less about.

You can laugh all you want, but there's been chat of this for nearly 20 years. It really wouldn't take that long to arrange it if it was something that people actually wanted.
    I doubt Celtic are saying No to change. They are more likely waiting to see if a different kind of change suits them better financially. Clubs all over Europe have just taken a massive financial hit. There are going to be more than a few looking to get their business’s back in the black and this is one way of doing it for some.
    I’m certain Hibs will be looking at it positively.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but the money involved would mean better players playing at Easter Road.

There is the rest of the article if anyone is interested in reading.

Two things from that article stand out. One is that Hibs are involved and are keen on it, which answers the question why did Ron Gordon get involved at Hibs? With those sorts of figures involved he will get a very healthy return on his money. Second is that there is no way Celtic pulled out because they love the status quo. They must have another idea for change that suits them better.
    One way or another, change is coming soon. And I’m glad Hibs are in there trying to shape it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Two things from that article stand out. One is that Hibs are involved and are keen on it, which answers the question why did Ron Gordon get involved at Hibs? With those sorts of figures involved he will get a very healthy return on his money. Second is that there is no way Celtic pulled out because they love the status quo. They must have another idea for change that suits them better.
    One way or another, change is coming soon. And I’m glad Hibs are in there trying to shape it.

That’s largely how I see it regarding RG’s involvement with us and Celtic have something else up their sleeve. Maybe Celtic waiting to see how the EPL and Euro Super League play out. A TV deal giving Hibs something like £20-30 million over 4 seasons would be huge. We would attract and keep at least Championship level players. Easter Road would be full too. Can’t get the negativity around it. Probably have our B team in the Scottish set up too

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    That’s largely how I see it regarding RG’s involvement with us and Celtic have something else up their sleeve. Maybe Celtic waiting to see how the EPL and Euro Super League play out. A TV deal giving Hibs something like £20-30 million over 4 seasons would be huge. We would attract and keep at least Championship level players. Easter Road would be full too. Can’t get the negativity around it. Probably have our B team in the Scottish set up too
    really? You can’t see why people might not like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    I can see why some people wouldn’t like it. I also think it’s happening regardless. Not sure exactly how it will look but there will be change.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Yes. Hibs get additional £5 -10 million per year to spend on players. Could mean 10 players earning 10-20k per week. Puts us roughly on a par with Rangers current wages I reckon. Who could we afford then? Any player in Scotland and lots of quality English and other foreign players. ER would be jumping and corners filled in.

No interest in it what so ever. Doesn't even have the Dutch or Belgian teams in it which at least would be something.

Yes. Hibs get additional £5 -10 million per year to spend on players. Could mean 10 players earning 10-20k per week. Puts us roughly on a par with Rangers current wages I reckon. Who could we afford then? Any player in Scotland and lots of quality English and other foreign players. ER would be jumping and corners filled in.
    Means that we can hold on to players like John McGinn longer and when we do sell we get full value for our player.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Playing devils advocate, a lot of people criticise or have no interest in the champions league, for example, as it’s about making the same dozen or so clubs richer and ensuring they are always in the latter rounds. Is that much different to a league based on size of clubs because we’re potentially on the inside this time and it’s ok for us to chase the money? What happens to the Scottish clubs we leave behind?

I’d be open to a proposal and would judge it on merit, but suspect I’d probably not be in favour of it or end up drifting away from Hibs once the novelty wears off.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 17-11-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Playing devils advocate, a lot of people criticise or have no interest in the champions league, for example, as it’s about making the same dozen or so clubs richer and ensuring they are always in the latter rounds. Is that much different to a league based on size of clubs because we’re potentially on the inside this time and it’s ok for us to chase the money? What happens to the Scottish clubs we leave behind?

I’d be open to a proposal and would judge it on merit, but suspect I’d probably not be in favour of it or end up drifting away from Hibs once the novelty wears off.
    The clubs left behind remain in a reorganised top Scottish League who then have the opportunity each year to be promoted into the newly created Atlantic league or whatever they call it.

Makes sense to me that the first year would be based on size of teams for financial reasons but then there is full opportunity to be relegated and promoted to and from the league's from then on.

I'd be keen for us to investigate something like that if it improved the standard of players and football we watch at Hibs.

Suppose you could argue that it would give us less chance of securing European cup football?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    The clubs left behind remain in a reorganised top Scottish League who then have the opportunity each year to be promoted into the newly created Atlantic league or whatever they call it.

Makes sense to me that the first year would be based on size of teams for financial reasons but then there is full opportunity to be relegated and promoted to and from the league's from then on.

I'd be keen for us to investigate something like that if it improved the standard of players and football we watch at Hibs.

Suppose you could argue that it would give us less chance of securing European cup football?
    Or you could say it’s guaranteed European football.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post

What about the financial hit they would have to take of not getting the away supports of the biggest clubs in the country that have left, and the drop in sponsorship and prize money that would lead to. Even if there was promotion the teams left behind would be, in most cases, little more than cannon fodder before getting relegated again given the disparity of the money they get in the SPL versus what the teams they would be up against have been getting in the European league.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    What about the financial hit they would have to take of not getting the away supports of the biggest clubs in the country that have left, and the drop in sponsorship and prize money that would lead to. Even if there was promotion the teams left behind would be, in most cases, little more than cannon fodder before getting relegated again given the disparity of the money they get in the SPL versus what the teams they would be up against have been getting in the European league.
    A good point and something that would need to be thoroughly thought out and addressed before something like this went ahead.

The ones "left behind" so to speak would argue that it would leave a gap in revenue between the top and 2nd leagues far too great, maybe some would need to trickle down the league's a bit more to make it work? Not sure how it would work tbh but would need to address these kind of issues otherwise it should be a non starter

I imagine Celtic will have been looking for some special treatment like a veto vote or something. Didn’t get it so chucked the toys out of the pram.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    I imagine Celtic will have been looking for some special treatment like a veto vote or something. Didn’t get it so chucked the toys out of the pram.
    Celtic would fancy topping that league so maybe they were against splitting the revenues more evenly?

Celtic would fancy topping that league so maybe they were against splitting the revenues more evenly?
    Is there anything to suggest any revenues would be split evenly? I’m not sure there will be many (any?) leagues where that happens.

It's dreamland stuff. Would never work for multiple reasons.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Never gonna happen, Hibs will be playing Hamilton and the likes well after i've gone to push the daisies up.

So in this fantasy land idea are the Scandinavian teams changing to winter football or are we moving to match them? Don't fancy Trondheim away on a Wednesday night in the middle of January much.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Presumably the Atlantic League supplements rather than replaces the Scottish Premiership? I don't think I'd like to see Hibs exclusively in an Atlantic League, but if we had that running at the same time as the Premiership I think it would be brilliant - extra revenue, club develops, variety of opponents, raises the profile of the club etc...

Would be a terrible decision to be on the outside looking in if it went ahead, far better to be in from the start and get established from the outset as a mainstay of the league.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Presumably the Atlantic League supplements rather than replaces the Scottish Premiership? I don't think I'd like to see Hibs exclusively in an Atlantic League, but if we had that running at the same time as the Premiership I think it would be brilliant - extra revenue, club develops, variety of opponents, raises the profile of the club etc...

Would be a terrible decision to be on the outside looking in if it went ahead, far better to be in from the start and get established from the outset as a mainstay of the league.
    I don't see how that could happen unless Celtic and Rangers did not take take part in Uefa competitions.

There's no way they could play Scottish Premiership, Atlantic League, Europa or Champions League and Scottish Cup.

I take it everyone who is ok with this will be ok when the Dutch and Belgians come on board and Scotland only get 3 teams (Celtic, rangers, aberdeen) and we are left behind.