hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Dundee 15112020)

A much changed Hibs side had to work hard to win this tie and in fairness to Dundee I don’t think they deserved to lose 4-1. The visitors will get an early chance for revenge after they were paired with Hibs again for the quarter final at the same venue.

The unavailability of players due to absence for international duty, injury and suspension had Hibs starting with Barnes in goal; McGregor in central defence and both Wright and Mallan in midfield. This was an opportunity for some to impress the manager and it’s debateable how many might have succeeded.

In a bright start to the game it became obvious that Dundee were prepared to have a go rather than pack their defence and hope for telling counter attacks. Charlie Adam looked in the mood and offered up a couple of excellent passes but his team mates were unable to take advantage. For their part, Hibs were stringing together a number of quick passes as the Dundee defenders were left chasing shadows and it was no surprise when the hosts took the lead in the tenth minute. Joe Newell rolled the ball to Stevie Mallan who took a touch, steadied himself and crashed a glorious drive past Hamilton from all of thirty yards. It’s possible the keeper might have done better but in truth the ball looked like it was past him before he dived.

Dundee were trying to get back into it and McGowan could have done better than blasting the ball high over the bar from twenty yards. Boyle then had a shot charged down whilst McDaid suffered the same fate at the other end.

The strong opening period from Hibs began to slip away as Dundee came more into the game but the visitors had a real let off when Nisbet brilliantly cushioned the ball into the path of Newell whose shot went under the diving Hamilton but came back off the far post. Moments later, a cross by Wright saw Nisbet’s headed attempt fly wide of the keeper’s left hand post. A long range effort by McDaid showed that Dundee were still in the hunt, but Kevin Nisbet should have finished them off when he dived full length in front of goal but headed the effort wide.

During the interval I hoped that Jack Ross would get Hibs out, firing on all cylinders but in the first piece of action, Boyle was booked for arriving late in a challenge. For me there was no malice and indeed Boyle actually tried to pull out from blocking the ball, but referee John Beaton thought otherwise. As it turned out, that was the only card shown in the game and only Beaton can explain why Jordan McGhee was allowed to foul anybody and everybody and get away with it.

The visitors were enjoying more possession but doing little with it whilst at the other end, Nisbet smashed an effort high and wide. It was an odd choice to make in terms of taking on the shot and I wondered whether he’s a bit concerned at his current run without goals. To their credit, Dundee kept plugging away and got their rewards around twenty minutes from the end. A delicate but beautifully flighted cross from McGowan witnessed Josh Doig getting under the ball which allowed Elliot to take a touch before hitting the ball under the advancing Barnes and into the net. Chris Sutton criticised Doig whereas I felt Josh had rightly tucked in and Murphy failed to track back allowing Christie to ghost in.

Whether the loss of the goal was instrumental in his decision or not I don’t know but Jack Ross immediately replaced Doig with Mackie and at the same time replaced the ineffective Wright with Jamie Gullan. Minutes later, Murphy twisted and turned his way into the box and delivered a low cross to the front post. Nisbet was there and at first, I thought the goal was his but having watched it again it has to go down as an own goal by McGhee. That move settled Hibs down and four minutes later, Nisbet fed Boyle who fired a low ball into the six yard box where Gullan had lost his marker allowing him to squeeze the ball home at the near post. Next up, Hallberg, who had replaced Murphy, was on hand to turn home another low cross from Boyle. Thankfully, the job was now done as Hibs coasted to the final whistle.

The players

Barnes – Dillon had little to do and had no chance at their goal. I recall only one other save at the feet of McGowan. His distribution was decent, and he seemed in tune with his back four.

McGinn (P) – Not one of Paul’s better games although I don’t recall any serious errors. I just felt his use of the ball was below par on the day.

McGregor – A cracking performance from a player who hasn’t seen much action recently. He looked as solid as ever and had me gasping at one point when he dropped his shoulder and slid past the challenge of Byrne – not something you see every day!

Hanlon - As dependable as ever and he must surely have enjoyed his reunion with big Daz!

Doig – You have to accept that Josh is still learning his trade and so will make the occasional error. I said earlier I don’t blame him for their goal but there were a couple of occasions when he was caught ball watching.

Wright – Other than a couple of very good crosses I struggle to remember anything that can be counted as effective. I know the lad is coming back from injury and so I’m sure he’ll offer more in the games to come.

Mallan – A wonder goal from Stevie, something we all know he is capable of. I confess that the absence of Gogic as the ‘destroyer’ did concern me and whilst Mallan didn’t get as involved in the physical stuff I felt he had a good game overall.

Newell – Joe performed to the description given to him by many on the message boards. Looked the business when we were bossing it but tended to disappear when Dundee were having their better spells. I know that sounds critical, especially when I’d always have him in the team, but it reflects my thoughts on him today.

Murphy – I think and hope we are still to see the best of Murphy. I thought he flitted in and out of things, but I must give credit for that mazy little run that secured our second goal.

Boyle – I’m sure I’ve said this about him before – he is anonymous for long spells and then rubs my doubting nose in it by providing two assists. If he does that in every game, I’ll be a happy man.

Nisbet – Kev missed a couple of opportunities today but though he didn’t score he was instrumental in creating openings for our third and fourth goals. You might even stretch that to the second goal too, as his presence forced McGhee to put through his own goal. It was a close thing today but I’m giving Nisbet my man of the match award.

Mackie – Sean replaced Josh Doig and slotted in well at left back. A strong laddie and willing runner he helped stifle any moves down our left hand side.

Gullan – I like Jamie and am convinced he has a real future at ER. His movement for his goal was clever and the finish from his ‘weaker’ foot was top notch as there wasn’t much of the goal to aim at.

Hallberg – Melker replaced a tiring Jamie Murphy and though I felt he’d been brought on to help stiffen our midfield I was delighted when he popped up in nosebleed country to fire home the fourth goal.

McGinn (S) – Only got the last few minutes.

Elder – Got even less time than McGinn (S).

Jack Ross – Obviously pleased with the outcome and now turning his full attention to next week’s visit of Celtic. One thing I would say is that Jack sometimes gets criticism for his use of substitutes but given that two of them scored, soon after coming on, it should be accepted that his decisions were fully merited.

Referee – John Beaton – Ref’s must enjoy there being no fans in the ground as I’m fairly sure he’d have been getting pelters from the East Stand today in allowing McGhee away with murder.
    Last edited by Jonnyboy; 15-11-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Think Nisbet is being credited with the 2nd goal. I thought he got a touch on it so happy for the lad to add to his tally!

@hibs.net private member
    Great summary as usual John.

I thought Murphy was okay today. His run for the second goal was what I hoped he would bring to the team.

I am sure he will continue to develop.

Thought Big Daz was class today.

Can someone explain the elder / bradley thing? If he's going to be in and around the sqyaud, this needs cleared up.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

I bet the natives were getting restless at 1-1 but two substitutes scoring two goals says it all

Pleased for Jamie his movement for his goal was exceptional

We meet them again in two weeks and we will have our boys back

Home win on my acca NAP!

Keep up the the good work

Left by mutual consent!
    You've forgotten to include Paul Hanlon in your summing up of player performance Jonnyboy.

I thought he was good. Has to work on producing better end product when retaining possession at the back as it can often end up going back to the goalie when a quicker pass forward to either a midfielder or forward is on instead of affording the opposition time to regroup and re pressure us.

Hard to find fault with the summary, Murphy going outside gained him an assist and I think when he has the opportunity to run at defenders he should mix it up, Boyle, Nisbet and Murphy in my opinion benefited from the presence of Mallan, long may it continue.

poor Paul Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You've forgotten to include Paul Hanlon in your summing up of player performance Jonnyboy.

I thought he was good. Has to work on producing better end product when retaining possession at the back as it can often end up going back to the goalie when a quicker pass forward to either a midfielder or forward is on instead of affording the opposition time to regroup and re pressure us.
    Ooops - I'll away and fix that now
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Ooops - I'll away and fix that now

Nice one Jonnyboy.

Good read and summary as ever - think we were almost decent in stretches, and over the 90 minutes we deserved to win (4-1 seems harsh to me for Dundee) - but I thought 1st half we were very poor as a team overall we were unable to control the game, energy levels were low and we never look comfortable on the ball as a team - the best moments second half came when we upped the pace - we don't do it often enough or consistently enough, still a 4-1 home win makes it difficult to be too critical ...

5 or 6-1 would have been a fairer score

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Can someone explain the elder / bradley thing? If he's going to be in and around the sqyaud, this needs cleared up.
    I’ve been thinking the same. Hibs always have him as Bradley but the press often have him done as Elder.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Good report,big Daz was top man,but have to say,we really must up our pace in games instead of passing it about in our own half.Imo.

Blog Entries

Paul H actually produced 2 or 3 tremendous reverse passes out of defence, looking as if he would hit down the line then switching the ball about 30 yards infield to Stevie Mallan. Credit to Mallan also for finding that space. I think both Paul H & Stevie M are far better footballers than they often get credit for on here.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    In a difficult season in more ways than one Paul Hanlon is head and shoulders POTY so far in my humble opinion

Blog Entries
    Apparently we had 30 passes before the 1st goal. That's some effort.

Few things from me..

The strips were too similar..both wearing white shorts didn’t help. Dark colours (green and blue) plus Hibs GK too very similar to Dundee / tricky to watch at times.

We have to learn to finish games off - was raging when it went to 1-1. Good reaction though.

Murphy needs to do more of that - he has the talent and creativity.

Gullan - I have rated the gig from day 1 - give him a run of games and he will score. Would be interesting to see his pitch time v goals ratio.

Hallberg - I would be tempted to turn him into a really attacking midfield : striker - think he has attributes for this.

Glad we got the win - our midfield will continue to be an issue until we can sign another player. We just need someone who wins the ball - we are basically too nice in there and get away with it but more aggression in some games is needed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Paul H actually produced 2 or 3 tremendous reverse passes out of defence, looking as if he would hit down the line then switching the ball about 30 yards infield to Stevie Mallan. Credit to Mallan also for finding that space. I think both Paul H & Stevie M are far better footballers than they often get credit for on here.
    I wasn't in any way criticising either Paul Hanlon or Stevie Mallon's footballing ability. I think both are very good footballers.

It was more the tactics of slowing the pace of play down far too much at times with too many passes across the back. A better team than Dundee with a fast press as we've seen in the past can often force us into making needless mistakes. I like the fact we're trying to play football on the deck. Just think we should mix it up a bit more. Try to keep a higher tempo throughout. Try to keep the pressure on the opposition before they've time to regroup and re press.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't in any way criticising either Paul Hanlon or Stevie Mallon's footballing ability. I think both are very good footballers.

It was more the tactics of slowing the pace of play down far too much at times with too many passes across the back. A better team than Dundee with a fast press as we've seen in the past can often force us into making needless mistakes. I like the fact we're trying to play football on the deck. Just think we should mix it up a bit more. Try to keep a higher tempo throughout. Try to keep the pressure on the opposition before they've time to regroup and re press.
    And I wasn't criticising you either.😁 I agree most of your thoughts & comments. I posted earlier that Darren's out ball last night was mostly to McGinn & Darren understandably played safe by not passing the ball in front of Paul McG. This meant Paul McG mostly had to check & slow play down. Josh has gone off the boil a bit & IMO he's lacking confidence. That really left Paul H as the only one of the back 4 who could move us forward. To his credit Stevie Mallan recognised this & found some space for Paul H to find him on 2 or 3 occasions in the 2nd half. We had a very attacking team last night, pretty much a 4 2 4 and the 2 midfield players are natural attackers. We got through & that's all that matters but i really feel our lack of balance in the team constrains our ability to play the high tempo game we would all like to see.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    And I wasn't criticising you either.😁 I agree most of your thoughts & comments. I posted earlier that Darren's out ball last night was mostly to McGinn & Darren understandably played safe by not passing the ball in front of Paul McG. This meant Paul McG mostly had to check & slow play down. Josh has gone off the boil a bit & IMO he's lacking confidence. That really left Paul H as the only one of the back 4 who could move us forward. To his credit Stevie Mallan recognised this & found some space for Paul H to find him on 2 or 3 occasions in the 2nd half. We had a very attacking team last night, pretty much a 4 2 4 and the 2 midfield players are natural attackers. We got through & that's all that matters but i really feel our lack of balance in the team constrains our ability to play the high tempo game we would all like to see.

Agree with all of your intelligent post. Noticed Stevie Mallan in particular stepping up trying to find space a number of times in the second half in order to provide Paul Hanlon with an out ball. I really like the fact we're trying to play football on the deck retaining possession but as you rightly say the balance of formation has to fit. Should have pushed hard for a second goal cushion then settle in to the game a bit more. Delighted to win though of course, take a 4-1 home win any time.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Different teams will play different tactics. Dundee were sitting in a bit so makes sense at times to be patient until gaps appear. The general sharpness and accuracy of some of the passing could definitely be better though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Few things from me..

The strips were too similar..both wearing white shorts didn’t help. Dark colours (green and blue) plus Hibs GK too very similar to Dundee / tricky to watch at times.

We have to learn to finish games off - was raging when it went to 1-1. Good reaction though.

Murphy needs to do more of that - he has the talent and creativity.

Gullan - I have rated the gig from day 1 - give him a run of games and he will score. Would be interesting to see his pitch time v goals ratio.

Hallberg - I would be tempted to turn him into a really attacking midfield : striker - think he has attributes for this.

Glad we got the win - our midfield will continue to be an issue until we can sign another player. We just need someone who wins the ball - we are basically too nice in there and get away with it but more aggression in some games is needed.
    Agree totally about the strips one of the teams should have changed was quite difficult at times to differentiate between the teams.