hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 141 of 141

Thread: TV ban for bar

  1. #121
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    😂😂😂 couldnt care less about the bar to be fair, been on a night out in Aberdeen about twice in my life.

    Secondly, your Ďfactsí arenít facts, theyíre guesswork at this moment. You donít know that the 6/2 rule wasnít enforced. But if it wasnít then the bar should be punished, like any should.

    What is sensible or not isnít the law. Iím sure the local licensing board will decide whether their tables worked within the remit of their licence, again, if they didnít they will be punished.

    Your another that seems to think turning the tele off earlier would have solved all issues, completely disregarding the safety of staff, and the fact that if they did so it wouldíve been even more dangerous, remembering at that point no one could have known Scotland would win on penalties.

    My argument is IF the bar followed their rules (households, time etc) then they canít be to blame. The blame lies with those celebrating, and I totally understand it, it was a natural reaction. The same as the pub in Helensburgh, and in Inverness, and Iíd imagine the many many more not captured on someoneís phone. As far as I know no report has been concluded and no punishments given, until then itís probably best not to speculate based on your own Ďfactsí.
    A sensible and non hyperbolic post.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    😂😂😂 couldnt care less about the bar to be fair, been on a night out in Aberdeen about twice in my life.

    Secondly, your Ďfactsí arenít facts, theyíre guesswork at this moment. You donít know that the 6/2 rule wasnít enforced. But if it wasnít then the bar should be punished, like any should.

    What is sensible or not isnít the law. Iím sure the local licensing board will decide whether their tables worked within the remit of their licence, again, if they didnít they will be punished.

    Your another that seems to think turning the tele off earlier would have solved all issues, completely disregarding the safety of staff, and the fact that if they did so it wouldíve been even more dangerous, remembering at that point no one could have known Scotland would win on penalties.

    My argument is IF the bar followed their rules (households, time etc) then they canít be to blame. The blame lies with those celebrating, and I totally understand it, it was a natural reaction. The same as the pub in Helensburgh, and in Inverness, and Iíd imagine the many many more not captured on someoneís phone. As far as I know no report has been concluded and no punishments given, until then itís probably best not to speculate based on your own Ďfactsí.
    Firstly, you claim what junipergreen said isn't fact, then you go on to make up your own fact that turning the TV off would have endangered staff.

    The only facts that we know is that there was no social distance in the video. The 'outdoor' bar is in fact an enclosed space. The bar owner has previous. Alcohol brings out the irresponsible in people.

    Edit. And Sky made the game free to view on several different platforms so that people didn't have to congregate in large numbers to watch, they could, and probably should, have stayed at home to watch.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 15-11-2020 at 09:30 AM.

  4. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, you claim what junipergreen said isn't fact, then you go on to make up your own fact that turning the TV off would have endangered staff.

    The only facts that we know is that there was no social distance in the video. The 'outdoor' bar is in fact an enclosed space. The bar owner has previous. Alcohol brings out the irresponsible in people.
    Your last point answers your first point, thanks. I never stated it as a fact, however alcohol, plus the importance and the time of the game tells me that those werenít going to just walk out of the pub without any issues had the TVís been turned off, and doesnít answer what would have happened had Serbia not scored their equaliser right before you wanted them turned off.

  5. #124
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, you claim what junipergreen said isn't fact, then you go on to make up your own fact that turning the TV off would have endangered staff.

    The only facts that we know is that there was no social distance in the video. The 'outdoor' bar is in fact an enclosed space. The bar owner has previous. Alcohol brings out the irresponsible in people.

    Edit. And Sky made the game free to view on several different platforms so that people didn't have to congregate in large numbers to watch, they could, and probably should, have stayed at home to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your last point answers your first point, thanks. I never stated it as a fact, however alcohol, plus the importance and the time of the game tells me that those werenít going to just walk out of the pub without any issues had the TVís been turned off, and doesnít answer what would have happened had Serbia not scored their equaliser right before you wanted them turned off.
    Eh, yes you did!

    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    😂😂😂 couldnt care less about the bar to be fair, been on a night out in Aberdeen about twice in my life.

    Secondly, your Ďfactsí arenít facts, theyíre guesswork at this moment. You donít know that the 6/2 rule wasnít enforced. But if it wasnít then the bar should be punished, like any should.

    What is sensible or not isnít the law. Iím sure the local licensing board will decide whether their tables worked within the remit of their licence, again, if they didnít they will be punished.

    Your another that seems to think turning the tele off earlier would have solved all issues, completely disregarding the safety of staff, and the fact that if they did so it wouldíve been even more dangerous, remembering at that point no one could have known Scotland would win on penalties.

    My argument is IF the bar followed their rules (households, time etc) then they canít be to blame. The blame lies with those celebrating, and I totally understand it, it was a natural reaction. The same as the pub in Helensburgh, and in Inverness, and Iíd imagine the many many more not captured on someoneís phone. As far as I know no report has been concluded and no punishments given, until then itís probably best not to speculate based on your own Ďfactsí.
    And the solution to prevent it happening at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Edit. And Sky made the game free to view on several different platforms so that people didn't have to congregate in large numbers to watch, they could, and probably should, have stayed at home to watch.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

  6. #125
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,997
    Should the Scotland players be punished for their after match celebrations?

    Is the rule not that they should be socially distant except when on the pitch?

  7. #126
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    24,754
    The pub has been told by ACC to remove all Tv's by tomorrow

    .https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6281275/aberdeen-pub-tv-ban-scotland-euro-celebrations/

  8. #127
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in the town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    10,393
    No matter how anyone feels about the rights and wrongs of that pub, I suspect that it has put back the likelihood of fans getting into football matches back by some distance.

    For anyone who wants to believe it, that will have proved some football fans can't be trusted.

    Won't have done any help to anyone who wants drink in stadiums either.

  9. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh, yes you did!



    And the solution to prevent it happening at all.
    Exactly it wouldíve disregarded their safety due to the risk of it kicking off, which having been around drunken people for a long time wouldíve been extremely likely.

    Your last point reiterates that the punters are to blame by going out. There were no rules stating what time tvs were to be off by other than the doors closed at 10.30.

    All of your points back up the idea of irresponsible punters for a couple of minutes rather than irresponsible pub owner.

  10. #129
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    24,754
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly it wouldíve disregarded their safety due to the risk of it kicking off, which having been around drunken people for a long time wouldíve been extremely likely.

    Your last point reiterates that the punters are to blame by going out. There were no rules stating what time tvs were to be off by other than the doors closed at 10.30.

    All of your points back up the idea of irresponsible punters for a couple of minutes rather than irresponsible pub owner.
    The two aren't mutually incompatible. However, the pub owner seems to have accepted some blame, according to that news report.

  11. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The two aren't mutually incompatible. However, the pub owner seems to have accepted some blame, according to that news report.
    ĎWe truly hoped and believed we could provide a safe way for customers to enjoy this crucial match and that we could do that within the existing regulations. We took all steps we could to fully comply with those regulationsí

    That says more about the regulations than the pub. If the TVís had been turned off, what time do they get turned off? After full time? The same wouldíve happened with a 90th minute goal, or full time in a win. Punters would then have got their phones out and the same scenario would likely have unfolded.

    The pub owner canít tell the future, he looks from the outside like heís met all regulations and tried his best, exuberance has took over and unfortunately staff and security canít stop that. If the government never wanted these scenes then they should have closed the pubs for the night, very simple. It wasnít just one pub, it was numerous pubs all over tier 2 and below that had the same issues.

  12. #131
    gloryhunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but I wouldn't have been saying how irresponsible it was so don't put words in my mouth.

    It could and probably should have been done when the police came in.

    It is the publicans responsibility to ensure a safe environment for all the punters. He failed to do so by allowing so many people in. It is therefore his fault.

    Anyway I'm bored of your constant defending of the indefensible so let's just leave it at that.


    Ditto.

  13. #132
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly it wouldíve disregarded their safety due to the risk of it kicking off, which having been around drunken people for a long time wouldíve been extremely likely.

    Your last point reiterates that the punters are to blame by going out. There were no rules stating what time tvs were to be off by other than the doors closed at 10.30.

    All of your points back up the idea of irresponsible punters for a couple of minutes rather than irresponsible pub owner.
    Even though the pub owner, who has other pubs in the city, has previously ignored restrictions by allowing more people into bars than can socially distance? And allowing people to drink in an idoor setting?

    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...r-bosses-told/
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

  14. #133
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ĎWe truly hoped and believed we could provide a safe way for customers to enjoy this crucial match and that we could do that within the existing regulations. We took all steps we could to fully comply with those regulationsí

    That says more about the regulations than the pub. If the TVís had been turned off, what time do they get turned off? After full time? The same wouldíve happened with a 90th minute goal, or full time in a win. Punters would then have got their phones out and the same scenario would likely have unfolded.

    The pub owner canít tell the future, he looks from the outside like heís met all regulations and tried his best, exuberance has took over and unfortunately staff and security canít stop that. If the government never wanted these scenes then they should have closed the pubs for the night, very simple. It wasnít just one pub, it was numerous pubs all over tier 2 and below that had the same issues.
    You keep going on about the TV being turned off, the solution which Aberdeen Council have belatedly come up with, would have meant none of the scenes that occurred, which the bar owner should have foreseen.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

  15. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You keep going on about the TV being turned off, the solution which Aberdeen Council have belatedly come up with, would have meant none of the scenes that occurred, which the bar owner should have foreseen.
    Itís you that keeps going on about that being the solution. The council have told them to remove the TVís to stop them going on in the first place, at no point did the council tell pubs they couldnít show the game. Your suggestion was to turn the game off half way through and expect there to be zero problems from that. Iím telling you how daft a suggestion that sounds and how there would be no guarantees that wouldnít cause bigger problems. The council put the regulations in place, the bars follow them. If they regulations arenít good enough thatís not the pubs problem.

  16. #135
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís you that keeps going on about that being the solution. The council have told them to remove the TVís to stop them going on in the first place, at no point did the council tell pubs they couldnít show the game. Your suggestion was to turn the game off half way through and expect there to be zero problems from that. Iím telling you how daft a suggestion that sounds and how there would be no guarantees that wouldnít cause bigger problems. The council put the regulations in place, the bars follow them. If they regulations arenít good enough thatís not the pubs problem.
    You must be getting me mixed up with someone else. I'm an advocate of quiet pubs with no Telly, jukebox or other distractions from the enjoyment of a meal and drink with family and friends.

    If there had been no television in the first place then this 'discussion' wouldn't be happening. I also said, Sky made it free to view so there was no need for crowds to congregate in bars to watch it.

    Let's see your argument against that?
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

  17. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You must be getting me mixed up with someone else. I'm an advocate of quiet pubs with no Telly, jukebox or other distractions from the enjoyment of a meal and drink with family and friends.

    If there had been no television in the first place then this 'discussion' wouldn't be happening. I also said, Sky made it free to view so there was no need for crowds to congregate in bars to watch it.

    Let's see your argument against that?
    Apologies, someone before had said that the TVís shouldíve been turned off before extra time, which in my opinion would have caused far greater issue. I agree no TVís wouldíve meant no issues, but thatís a decision for the council to make.

    Iíve not got an argument against it other than it was the punters choice to go out and watch the game, instead of in their house on free to air tele. Our Scottish cup tie was on BBC, yet if the pubs were open Iíd have been down the pub watching it. That would be my choice though, the pub wouldnít have forced me to go.

  18. #137
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies, someone before had said that the TVís shouldíve been turned off before extra time, which in my opinion would have caused far greater issue. I agree no TVís wouldíve meant no issues, but thatís a decision for the council to make.

    Iíve not got an argument against it other than it was the punters choice to go out and watch the game, instead of in their house on free to air tele. Our Scottish cup tie was on BBC, yet if the pubs were open Iíd have been down the pub watching it. That would be my choice though, the pub wouldnít have forced me to go.
    The pub could have taken the action not to have the telly on and there would be none of the scenes. A decision they decided not to take because it would mean less customers.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

  19. #138
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    21,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pub could have taken the action not to have the telly on and there would be none of the scenes. A decision they decided not to take because it would mean less customers.

    This was the same pub that was chocka block when Aberdeen played Rangers and the game was on the telly and the spike happened, the owners were only interested in making money without a care for rules.

  20. #139
    Aberdeen needs to get a grip.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

  21. #140
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    11,518
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aberdeen needs to get a grip.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    There are a number of bars who have followed the rules to the letter and got screwed over the first time, I feel most for them.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  22. #141
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are a number of bars who have followed the rules to the letter and got screwed over the first time, I feel most for them.
    Lead the boycott of the particular chain of bars that have been the ones causing the problem for others.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)