hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you understand what the phrase means.
    Yeah but I'm not sure why it's too early to discuss it. A lot of us are quite excited you know.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I just hope alot of self retired players dont suddenly want to reignite their international career!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Yeah but I'm not sure why it's too early to discuss it. A lot of us are quite excited you know.
    It’s too early because we’ve no idea who will be available in six or seven months time, who might have had good or bad seasons or played or not for their teams. Nothing wrong with being excited but picking a squad at this point is a bit pointless.

It’s too early because we’ve no idea who will be available in six or seven months time, who might have had good or bad seasons or played or not for their teams. Nothing wrong with being excited but picking a squad at this point is a bit pointless.
    You do know the fans don’t pick the squad? A bit of fun/football chat to keep the excitement going. Nothing wrong whatsoever with chatting about potential squad makers, who from the current squad may not make it, which young players may step up.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    You should probably have ignored the thread then!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    You should probably have ignored the thread then!
    And you could have ignored my point and cracked on but that’s not really how it works is it? If you have an opinion on something you tend to say it.

There’s so much football to be played we could be looking at some very different options in a few months time. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a premature conversation on a squad selection and there’s generally a good reason for that.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    And you could have ignored my point and cracked on but that’s not really how it works is it? If you have an opinion on something you tend to say it.

There’s so much football to be played we could be looking at some very different options in a few months time. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a premature conversation on a squad selection and there’s generally a good reason for that.
    Is it not a fluid debate? A discussion that will evolve over time as players get injured or come into/out of form etc. We’re not setting any hypothetical squads in stone at this point.

I think it's very much recognised that Clarke is playing a system, and that system is working. Many people complained early about his use of McTominay, and have been proven wrong. There are very few automatic choices in this squad...Robertson, McTominay Mcginn, Tierney, Marshall. Others that have earned likely automatic selection...Dykes, Gallacher, Christie, O'Donnell, Mclean, etc and others likely in, if they stay healthy ...Griffitths etc.
    But you can easily play youre way in, and that allows somebody like Hanlon a chance. I certainly wouldn't want to be somebody who called off due to a suspicious injury early in Steve Clarkes reign.
    One question though...when do the WC qualifiiers start, must be in the spring...somebody goes in and scores a bucketload of goals and theyre in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    I think it's very much recognised that Clarke is playing a system, and that system is working. Many people complained early about his use of McTominay, and have been proven wrong. There are very few automatic choices in this squad...Robertson, McTominay Mcginn, Tierney, Marshall. Others that have earned likely automatic selection...Dykes, Gallacher, Christie, O'Donnell, Mclean, etc and others likely in, if they stay healthy ...Griffitths etc.
    But you can easily play youre way in, and that allows somebody like Hanlon a chance. I certainly wouldn't want to be somebody who called off due to a suspicious injury early in Steve Clarkes reign.
    One question though...when do the WC qualifiiers start, must be in the spring...somebody goes in and scores a bucketload of goals and theyre in the mix
    There is a couple of qualifiers in March.

Without any injuries, I can’t see there being too many spaces available in the squad. He picked 27 for this set of fixtures, sure a tournament squad is normally about 23/24? Think it’ll be difficult for anyone to break in, that isn’t already established in the squad.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar